• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to Santiago 2021

Lexi123

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018
Hi All,
Hope you’re keeping well and safe during these uncertain times.
I did the CF in 2018 and loved it. I was hoping to do the Primitivo Route this year but that didn’t work out.
My plan next year is to do a longer Camino from Le Puy to Santiago, I hope to start at Le Puy to SJPDP, then on to Leon. From there I’m hoping to take the San Salvador route to Oveido and then take the CP to Santiago.
Does anyone have any experience or advice about doing this route?
My plan is to start the middle of August and finish by November.
Any advice/comments welcome.

Stay safe, Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
then on to Leon. From there I’m hoping to take the San Salvador route to Oveido and then take the CP to Santiago.
Why not continue onto the Norte from Oviedo? That way you can continue without using motorized transportation. And you'll catch some beautiful views of the sea.

between tapia and ribadeo resize.jpg

Why not continue onto the Norte from Oviedo? That way you can continue without using motorized transportation. And you'll catch some beautiful views of the sea.

View attachment 83657
That was my plan in April 2020 as I had turned onto the Primitivo last time at Oviedo. I am hoping to pick it up again in April 2021 to complete the Norte...but "who knows"!

Hi All,
I did the CF in 2018 and loved it. I was hoping to do the Primitivo Route this year but that didn’t work out.
My plan next year is to do a longer Camino from Le Puy to Santiago, I hope to start at Le Puy to SJPDP, then on to Leon. From there I’m hoping to take the San Salvador route to Oveido and then take the CP to Santiago.

Stay safe, Buen Camino
I have walked from Le Puy to Santiago. If you started in the middle of August you could go all the way tonSantiago without skipping any parts by early November. You may want to think about doing the Norte and the Primitivo for about the most beautiful Camino you could imagine. I walked from Le Puy starting in September and when I walked i the weather was really good in France. I am sure you will encounter some hot days in August. You will experience amazing food, nice people (almost entirely French retirees, some Germans and very, very few people that speak English.) The fires are more expensive but a pilgrim menu in Spain will taste like fast food compared to the dinners and breakfasts in the Gites. The variety of terrains and natural beauty is just great. It is a physically more challenging than the CF. When I walked I saw less pilgrims in a week than you would see in about an hour on the CF. I am sure it will be more crowded in August but nothing like the CF.
The Norte is spectacular. I guess you could either take a Public transportation to Bayonne or Biarritz or Irún or walk the Camino Baztan in reverse from Pamplona to Bayonneand start the Norte. The Norte is also tougher then the CF but after you have walked from Le Puy it eolios be a piece of cake.The feel of the Norte is also much different from the CF. Less people and when I walked there seemed to More pilgrims who liked to walk alone. There was definitely the Camino spirit and love but it seemed to happen a lot more in the evenings cooking together or just hanging out in the albergue. When I walked the Norte it would be about the same time as you would start also. As you go on the pilgrims become fewer and fewer as you go through the big cities. Very few people join new like you find in Burgos or Leon for example. By the time the Norte splits with the Primitivo you will see very few pilgrims on the Norte and maybe just a few more on the Primitivo. I never walked the Primitivo but many of my friends have and they loved its beauty and solitude. I just wanted to do the whole Norte. It got really solitary on the Norte after the split. That’s about it except the Le Puy routeis definitelymore money for daily expenses. You can’t go wrong whatever you choose.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

@Lexi123, hi, and my advice is just go.

While I enjoyed the journey through France best, I wouldn't have missed any of my journey.

I hope you enjoy yours.

Kia kaha, kia maia, kia manawanui (be strong, careful and patient)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked from Le Puy to Santiago. If you started in the middle of August you could go all the way tonSantiago without skipping any parts by early November. You may want to think about doing the Norte and the Primitivo for about the most beautiful Camino you could imagine. I walked from Le Puy starting in September and when I walked i the weather was really good in France. I am sure you will encounter some hot days in August. You will experience amazing food, nice people (almost entirely French retirees, some Germans and very, very few people that speak English.) The fires are more expensive but a pilgrim menu in Spain will taste like fast food compared to the dinners and breakfasts in the Gites. The variety of terrains and natural beauty is just great. It is a physically more challenging than the CF. When I walked I saw less pilgrims in a week than you would see in about an hour on the CF. I am sure it will be more crowded in August but nothing like the CF.
The Norte is spectacular. I guess you could either take a Public transportation to Bayonne or Biarritz or Irún or walk the Camino Baztan in reverse from Pamplona to Bayonneand start the Norte. The Norte is also tougher then the CF but after you have walked from Le Puy it eolios be a piece of cake.The feel of the Norte is also much different from the CF. Less people and when I walked there seemed to More pilgrims who liked to walk alone. There was definitely the Camino spirit and love but it seemed to happen a lot more in the evenings cooking together or just hanging out in the albergue. When I walked the Norte it would be about the same time as you would start also. As you go on the pilgrims become fewer and fewer as you go through the big cities. Very few people join new like you find in Burgos or Leon for example. By the time the Norte splits with the Primitivo you will see very few pilgrims on the Norte and maybe just a few more on the Primitivo. I never walked the Primitivo but many of my friends have and they loved its beauty and solitude. I just wanted to do the whole Norte. It got really solitary on the Norte after the split. That’s about it except the Le Puy routeis definitelymore money for daily expenses. You can’t go wrong whatever you choose.

Thank you for taking them time to give such detailed advice, it’s really kind. Hope you don’t mind some follow up questions 😃.
Am I right in thinking that I can start the Norte in Irun and then go in to the Primitivo?
Did you encounter any snow on your Camino??
Thanks again xxx

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for taking them time to give such detailed advice, it’s really kind. Hope you don’t mind some follow up questions 😃.
Am I right in thinking that I can start the Norte in Irun and then go in to the Primitivo?
Did you encounter any snow on your Camino??
Thanks again xxx
The "traditional" starting point if you want to do the "full" camino (sorry for the quotes haha) is in Irun. I doubt if if would be very difficult to get there from SJPP. It may be a little convoluted but I am sure there are others who know the answer. I just checked the website Rome2rio.com, which is a great site to use for all travel. There is a train that leaves SJPP 4x a day for Irun.
When it comes to the routes I would give you the following advice:
In France definitely buy the Miam Do Do guidebook. It was my biggest camino mistake not to buy it. It is in French so I didn't buy it. When I finally took a good look at one a few days before I got to SJPP I could have kicked myself. It was really easy to read and has a wealth of information regarding accommodations especially, maps, services etc. I bought the Michelin guide and I found it next to worthless.
On your phone you should definitely bookmark Gronze.com. Google translate does a more than adequate job translating the Spanish. It will give you stages, elevations, difficulties of the days path, accommodations and services in towns on the Le Puy Route, and Norte to name just a few.
If you check Gronze it will show you the route to join the Primitivo from the Norte in Villaviciosa.
I would also download either the Wise Pilgrim Norte and Primitivo apps and the same for Buen Camino. They are free and will give you more places to stay and if you tend to get lost have GPS systems, The routes are well marked so that should not be a problem but as you get later in the year more albergues close and after this horrible pandemic it is difficult to know the status of many accommodations.
When I walked the Norte there were just a dusting of snow on a few days. I arrived in Santiago about November 1. I was never cold walking but there were a few albergues I stayed in that were really cold. I did not have a sleeping bag, only a sleep sack. Slept in all my clothes and there were blankets so I did survive.
I guess thats about it for now. Any other questions let me know.
Check out the forum threads on the three caminos. There are lots of people who have alot more knowledge and ideas than I do. I am sure it will be a little help to answer some questions.

Hi All,

Stay safe, Buen Camino
The Via Podiensis is a fantastic route and, if you're on FB, I suggest you join Robert Forrester's group where there are a great number of resources and many helpful people who have walked the route in the past https://www.facebook.com/groups/ViaPodiensis/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've hoped to attend an intensive French school near Le Puy for about a week, then hike for a while (not all the way to Santiago due to time constraints); moved from pre-planning to dreaming due to the pandemic. My French is already pretty good, but I'd like to get better. Are there schools near Le Puy anyone can recommend?

Hi All,

Stay safe, Buen Camino
Greetings,

My wife and I did the GR65 in 2016 after doing the Camino in Spain and loved it. It is much different than Spain in that there are few if any places during the day to stop at. We found we had to take a lunch with us if we wanted anything to eat. The elevation gain and loss are much greater than Spain. A lot of up and down. We met few pilgrims along the way which might or might not be different now.

We stayed in hotels and private homes along the way and we loved it. The food was fantastic at night. We thought we were going to gain weight. I made reservations for each night before we left, and I have attached our itinerary with where we stayed. The stared places are a must stay.

If you haven’t checked out this website Planificador - Godesalco.com, it is a must for determining where to stay and distance walked.

Have fun,

Ron Harding

1601139441181.png

View attachment 83657
I realized that when you wrote CP in your initial post you meant the Primitivo. I was thinking that you meant the Camino Portuguese. 😜
Of course you can walk the Primitivo from Oviedo without taking motorized transportation.
I was just thinking about my Camino last year, which was SJPDP to León on the Francés, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then I walked to Avilés to pick up the Norte. I finished on the Norte because the year before I had to stop the Norte in Vilalba because of severe shin splints. It actually makes more sense for you to continue on the Primitivo, unless you want a few days by the coast.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The "traditional" starting point if you want to do the "full" camino (sorry for the quotes haha) is in Irun. I doubt if if would be very difficult to get there from SJPP. It may be a little convoluted but I am sure there are others who know the answer. I just checked the website Rome2rio.com, which is a great site to use for all travel. There is a train that leaves SJPP 4x a day for Irun.
When it comes to the routes I would give you the following advice:
In France definitely buy the Miam Do Do guidebook. It was my biggest camino mistake not to buy it. It is in French so I didn't buy it. When I finally took a good look at one a few days before I got to SJPP I could have kicked myself. It was really easy to read and has a wealth of information regarding accommodations especially, maps, services etc. I bought the Michelin guide and I found it next to worthless.
On your phone you should definitely bookmark Gronze.com. Google translate does a more than adequate job translating the Spanish. It will give you stages, elevations, difficulties of the days path, accommodations and services in towns on the Le Puy Route, and Norte to name just a few.
If you check Gronze it will show you the route to join the Primitivo from the Norte in Villaviciosa.
I would also download either the Wise Pilgrim Norte and Primitivo apps and the same for Buen Camino. They are free and will give you more places to stay and if you tend to get lost have GPS systems, The routes are well marked so that should not be a problem but as you get later in the year more albergues close and after this horrible pandemic it is difficult to know the status of many accommodations.
When I walked the Norte there were just a dusting of snow on a few days. I arrived in Santiago about November 1. I was never cold walking but there were a few albergues I stayed in that were really cold. I did not have a sleeping bag, only a sleep sack. Slept in all my clothes and there were blankets so I did survive.
I guess thats about it for now. Any other questions let me know.
Check out the forum threads on the three caminos. There are lots of people who have alot more knowledge and ideas than I do. I am sure it will be a little help to answer some questions.
You’re a star 🌟, thank you so much xxx

Hi All,

Stay safe, Buen Camino
I was supposed to leave early this month with similar route only to start from Lourdes over Somport joining the C.Aragon and CF to Leon then San Salvador onto CP to SdC. Hopefully this will materialize next year when this pandemic will be over. Thnx very mucho!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back