• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to Santiago: a few random thoughts

Richmond - Is the Le Puy to SJPP a safe walk for a woman on her own?
Debora, I met a number of women (and men) who were walking the Le Puy on their own. They seemed unconcerned about some of the things that, particularly here in the U.S., would be of concern. Having said this, depending on the time of year and if you do any of the variants, you can go fairly long stretches without seeing anyone, at least until the end of the day. So you may want to take that into consideration as well. Bon chemin!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The Voie du Puy aka Via Podiensis from Le Puy is a VERY safe walk for a woman on her own ... no problem ... certainly no issues that I have seen / heard or read about ... I have done great stretches of the Le Puy route solo on several occasions and in different seasons ... in my experience one is never alone for very long ... bon chemin 👣👣👣

I walked it alone in 2012. I never felt unsafe. It’s like anywhere else ... use your eyes and ears to observe your environment, take reasonable steps to ensure your safety, like you would at home or in any new environment.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I arrived in SJPDP alone mid March 2017 and from the start I was rarely alone for the next 35 days. It’s safe! Enjoy! Don’t “not go” because you are an alone walker.

Okay - we are on to next - walk stops in Conques - will need a rental car to visit Peche Merle and Rocamadour on our way to Lourdes before home. Anyone idea for where to train to for a rental car? *the Conques sites for car rentals seem suspect.

I cannot imagine it would be very easy to get a car rental in, or very near, Conques.
The thread posted above is from 2013, so mightily out of date, but a good place to start regarding leaving Conques. I think the thread indicates Rodez is the closest village with a train station. Figeac also has a train station, or did when I was there a few years ago. There was a train from Figeac to Rocamadour. Rome2Rio is a good resource to check as well. Good luck as you put this together. The planning, preparation and anticipation are put of the fun!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Okay - we are on to next - walk stops in Conques - will need a rental car to visit Peche Merle and Rocamadour on our way to Lourdes before home. Anyone idea for where to train to for a rental car? *the Conques sites for car rentals seem suspect.
Figeac definitely ... but there is no train from Conques ... take the «La Malle Postale» shuttle from Conques [their stop is near the Abbey] to Figeac ... several car hire companies there ... I took that service twice in 2019 and it was excellent

Visit their website to get all the gen ... good luck 👋👋👋

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am not Richmond, but I have walked this route, most of it alone. I was in my 50s and it was glorious. It is well-traveled, in fact in May it can be busy, and very little, if any, would meet the definition of remote. I would love to walk it again!
very busy this past week 👣👣👣 and some villages, incl. ones with plenty of beds, have been «complet» and a mighty scramble for some walkers to find a place to stay 🙏🏽

In June 2013 I did the Via Podiensis, for the first time I waøked outside Norway, and it was breathtaking! I continued to Pamplona before I went home and reconnected with the Camino two years later (might as well do the Pyrenees when I had worked up my muscles in France). I didn't prepare very much for the walk, but did short days in the beginning - also because the weather at that time wasn't too good (wearing woolen underwear was almost a must the entire first week!). Via Podiensis was far from crowded in June, although we were more than 50 pilgrims attending the morning mass in the Le Puy Cathedral. I met a few people in the gîtes in the evenings, but I didn't socialize much due to my limited ability speaking French (I am a very good listener, though!).
The Spanish part of my 2013 walk was quite different - a lot of people from around the world seem to start in St. Jean-Pied-de-Port, and both the walks and the evenings were quite different form Via Podiensis.
The July 2015 part of Camino Frances was HOT! A heat wave was covering most of Spain for weeks, and it wasn't until I reached Galicia that the temperature became more walking-friendly.
Do I miss the routes? Not sure. Will I ever return? Absolutely, but probably not by the same Camino - more likely El Norte. Have I turned into a pilgrim way of thinking and living? Absolutely, over the past 10 years I have walked several routes in Norwau and abroad, and I definitely will find other routes to walk.
Fantastic ! Thanks so much. I have been planning my camino for 6 months and go back and forth - literally- between Le Puy Via Podiensis and Frances. I am 50/50 literally and i have reasons for both - all of which you stated above! Financially cant see ever being able to ‘come back for next time’. It is 2022 and with air from Minneapolis I am pushing a $5000. Cost for this journey…. To include 200 shoes 200 pack. Socks - marino wool - liners…poles …. .yada yada yada $1000. Gear …. So nothing to sneeze at here…. No french speaking for me…. Want the sights and food of france and the companions of Spain…. What a dilemma…. Key - wont be back…. Now which one to choose? Oh plus. No kitchens in spain or communal meals with covid. Still communal meals in france. Wish more english speakers would be on lLe Puy…. I am torn…. Need a tipping point! Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Le Puy route is fantastic snd though my French is not bad, you would meet enough French persons (as well as Quebecois) who will be willing and eager to practice their English with you. I’m surprised you can’t find much cheaper flights, say to Leon and then blabla car it yo Le Puy.

Fantastic ! Thanks so much. I have been planning my camino for 6 months and go back and forth - literally- between Le Puy Via Podiensis and Frances. I am 50/50 literally and i have reasons for both - all of which you stated above! Financially cant see ever being able to ‘come back for next time’. It is 2022 and with air from Minneapolis I am pushing a $5000. Cost for this journey…. To include 200 shoes 200 pack. Socks - marino wool - liners…poles …. .yada yada yada $1000. Gear …. So nothing to sneeze at here…. No french speaking for me…. Want the sights and food of france and the companions of Spain…. What a dilemma…. Key - wont be back…. Now which one to choose? Oh plus. No kitchens in spain or communal meals with covid. Still communal meals in france. Wish more english speakers would be on lLe Puy…. I am torn…. Need a tipping point! Thanks!
I’m curious what you decided upon. I too am torn.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am not Richmond, but I have walked this route, most of it alone. I was in my 50s and it was glorious. It is well-traveled, in fact in May it can be busy, and very little, if any, would meet the definition of remote. I would love to walk it again!
I am Richmond! But, I won’t know til later this fall, when I walk it. I think @peregrina2000 has given you some good guidance

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back