• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to Santiago via Alternative Route(s)

Chuck Cunningham

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting April, 15, 2017
I am taking the Le Puy route and would like to know where to connect to an alternate route to get to Santiago. I apologize in advance for my ignorance but I'm a real green horn newbie. I'm mainly trying to avoid the crowds/masses on the CF. Maybe the Del Norte route (?) I've looked at some maps and it looks like if I go directly into SJPP then it's rather awkward to get back up to the coast? So once again I lay my problem at the feet of you experienced pros, and it IS greatly appreciated. Y'all have already saved me a multitude of sins.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you think you will be in full walking mode, there is a marked path that connects the two. Look for posts here on Voi de la Nive, it's a three day walk from SJPP to Bayonne. I have not walked this, but several forum members have, and they use a lot of superlatives to describe it. Try @Kiwi-family for instance. Buen camino.

Just to share, I'm sure most of you have heard of Airbnb a booking company that puts people up in usually private rooms, studios, etc.
This is one example. It's a little studio I booked in Le Puy for $33 per day. Check out the photos while you are there.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15964514

You could walk to SJPdP, then do the great walk over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles. Walk another 2 days to Pamplona (nice walk nice city) You will then have had a taste of the CF. Next take a train from Pamplona to San Sebastián (another nice city, nice beach) i just looked on Rome2Rio and it said just under 2 hours travel. From there you are on the Norte.
I met a chap in Aire-sur-l'Adour who was leaving the GR65 to walk to Irun to start the Norte. But that way you'd miss the last bit of the lovely GR65.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You could walk to SJPdP, then do the great walk over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles. Walk another 2 days to Pamplona (nice walk nice city) You will then have had a taste of the CF. Next take a train from Pamplona to San Sebastián (another nice city, nice beach) i just looked on Rome2Rio and it said just under 2 hours travel. From there you are on the Norte.
I met a chap in Aire-sur-l'Adour who was leaving the GR65 to walk to Irun to start the Norte. But that way you'd miss the last bit of the lovely GR65.
I like that thanks. Also like the idea of at least getting a taste of the CF. Very good sir.

The stretch from SJPDP to Pamplona isn't really representative of the camino in terms of the number of people. Many people start at SJPDP and Roncesvalles so naturally there will be many people. It does thin out as people find their own pace and places they want to stay at. If you were tempted to continue on the CF but thought it too busy, remember it does thin out. And even if it is busy you won't be able to see all the walkers at the same time. Some will be far in front and others far behind. I've walked on what i know are busy paths (because i've seen lots of people in the previous days and in the town the evening before) and yet i've walked the whole day virtually alone.

That is good to know, nothing is written in stone so I'll see once I get that far good Lord willing. There has to be a reason while some have hiked the CF 3-4 times. Thanks man. Good info indeed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a beautiful route from SJPDP to Irun that runs about 4-5 days along the Pyrenees to the coast, and from there you can start the Norte and finish in Santiago. Alternatively, you can connect to the Primitivo from the Norte as well. I will start this route in a couple of months.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good question, several reasons: the beauty of the route, inland travel to add variety as I introduce the camino to my girlfriend, and as it is a relatively short route, I doubt I would ever fly over just to do it alone. If you are interested I think there is a thread about the two routes over on the Norte page.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back