• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to SJPdP?

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
This year I walked SJPdP to Santiago. I would like to try the French side next year. Is there much difference hiking in France versus Spain?

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you go from Le Puy to Santiago...the difference is about another 500 miles :shock:
That would make it a nice round 1000 mile sojourn. I hope to do this in the near future.

There is a Le Puy forum which is very well posted.

I would describe walking in Spain as a pilgrimage with other pilgrims, while walking in France is a pilgrimage with the French. It is a bit more expensive; demipension dominates unless you self-cater. The churches and chapels are generally open. Most pilgrims call ahead and reserve a day or two ahead. Be sure to cancel reservations you do not use, so that the bed is opened for other pilgrims. The country is closed on Sunday and Monday, so plan food purchases accordingly. I have not met anyone who regretted walking in France. I prefer it to Spain, but the Camino Frances is the infrastructure that makes it convenient for repeat walks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Falcon....
How far is it actually from Le Puy to Santiago? I see various distances listed for the normal direct route to SJPP and then on the CF to Santiago.
Where would you have to start to do 1000 mile (1620 km) and still be on the Camino? :?:

It depends who you believe. These two signs were within 100 meters of each other leaving Le Puy.

Attachments

• France 028.jpg
    France 028.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 455
  • France 033.jpg
    France 033.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 455
:shock: That is 177 km difference...Almost 6 days walking at 30 km per day :shock: ...and much more if the 20-25 km average is used.

Is there a site somewhere that has somewhat accurate figures on it. Seems pretty straight forward, but then again...... :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Then one would have to start about 100 km before Le Puy to actually cover the 1620km (1000 miles).
Where would that be if you were to try to stay on an established route?

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back