• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to SSPdP pilgrim route - app required for iPhone 5S (electronic maps).

OssieMate

Time of past OR future Camino
Hills of Girona 2016
Alto Teruel Spain 2016
Roncevalles to Santiago April (2015)
Le Puy-en-Velay to SJP'dP France April (2014)
San Leo to Assissi Umbria December (2014)
Cascais to Sintra Portugal (2013)
Obernai to Kaysersberg Alsace (2011)
Hi All,

I am looking for an iPhone app of electronic maps of the route between Le Puy en Velay and SJPdP. Has anyone one use an app that works on this route? There is the:

iPhiGéNie, Maps of France
By Max Barel

Has anyone used the above with success or can recommend another app?

I intend going off-track on my pilgrimage, in May of this year, and need to have maps to assist in case I stray.

Appreciate some advise.

Regards

Ralph
Melbourne Australia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Ralph, may see you on the way. We are hoping to start Le Puy toward the end of April 2014. Destination St Jean PdP. Received our copy of Miam Miam Dodo, but as I don't have any more than Peter Sellers style French it is a bit lost on me (fortunately my wife is ok with it). But I wish we had something for Le Puy like the Brierley we used on the Camino Frances ...

I took a look at the IGN app. It's free to use for one week. It looks nice, especially since you can zoom. The one problem is that there is no key to indicate what all the markings mean, but that could probably be found online. Here are a few screenshots.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389959306.838805.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389959335.711131.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389959349.174303.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389959373.193542.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi biloute

thank you for the info.

Looks quite impressive. I have a pretty good understanding of the map symbols having hike extensively in Italy and France.
And free for a week, not bad.

Regards

Ralph D

The IGN maps are simply the best maps in the world. Their online stuff is not that easy to use, and you need a data connection.
You can get decent maps downloaded onto your phone for offline use though the app MotionX. (I sound like a broken record but I love this app). Also, you can put the route on the maps as a big bold red line.
Here's some maps of the same area: If the Bete museum in saugues is open, don't miss it!
Saugues map.JPG
lepuy map.JPG

Have it all ready before you go! There are many stretches along the Le Puy Chemin with no phone reception, even locals may be seen banging their phones trying to make them work. Part is due to remoteness, part to topography - your phone may whistle hiss and spit but don't count on phone recption until reaching Figeac and even beyond!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here's how to set it up:
Download the attached .gpx file

Email it to
gpsimport@motionx.com.

They will send you a file back. Open that file with the motion x app.

To get a good basemap which will work offline, download a map of the area.

Menu

Map zoom out, go to Spain

Maps-----button bottom left

Map download

Motionx road
Route ---- button at top

shape the oval to the area you want

Next

Min zoom I don't know what this does, use about 7

Max zoom--This is very sensitive. I found I need to use 15 to get little roads with the street name. At 15 northern Spain is 1.8 GB and an hour download. 14 is 0.4gb, but might not have the detail. You might do it in pieces as you go if you don't have the memory.

Where it say motionx tile set, give it a name you recognize.

Download (do this with wifi, not a data plan!)

Now you'll have that track on a map all the time, without phone signal or Wi-Fi If you don't see the track, go to tracks...all tracks.. select the track.... and hit follow

Buen Camino

Newf."

Attachments

• lepuygpx.gpx
    812.5 KB · Views: 45
Here's how to set it up:

Email it to
gpsimport@motionx.com.

They will send you a file back. Open that file with the motion x app.

To get a good basemap which will work offline, download a map of the area.

Menu

Map zoom out, go to Spain

Maps-----button bottom left

Map download

Motionx road
Route ---- button at top

shape the oval to the area you want

Next

Min zoom I don't know what this does, use about 7

Max zoom--This is very sensitive. I found I need to use 15 to get little roads with the street name. At 15 northern Spain is 1.8 GB and an hour download. 14 is 0.4gb, but might not have the detail. You might do it in pieces as you go if you don't have the memory.

Where it say motionx tile set, give it a name you recognize.

Download (do this with wifi, not a data plan!)

Now you'll have that track on a map all the time, without phone signal or Wi-Fi If you don't see the track, go to tracks...all tracks.. select the track.... and hit follow

Buen Camino

Newf."
Hi newfydog.

You are a wealth of information.

Thanks for the instructions to make it simple for me to use the maps and for the tips on using wi-fi against data downloaded, that can be quite expensive to use.

All the best.

Ralph

Newfydog, I realize that with a wifi only ipad or my ipod touch I can't use GPS, but would it work to download maps for offline use the way you described, if I get the app anyway? (I'll be doing the Voie de Tours, so not the same maps, but I'd like to have something available.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good question ......i would guess that if the app loads, you'll be able to download the maps. You can scroll around and look at maps in airplane mode just fine.

Good question ......i would guess that if the app loads, you'll be able to download the maps. You can scroll around and look at maps in airplane mode just fine.

Hi newfydog.

Can you recommend which service provider within France that can supply me with a Sim Card for data on my iPad mini. I do understand that satellite signals may be difficult to receive.

Regards

Ralph

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can you recommend which service provider within France that can supply me with a Sim Card for data on my iPad mini. I do understand that satellite signals may be difficult to receive.
Hi Ralph,
Slightly more expensive to set up, but you can have a French SIM (Orange) from Mobi Passport, all set up before you go.
If you don't need mountains of data for get 50MB per day for 2Euro.
http://www.mobipassport.com.au/france-sim-p/france-orange.htm
Colin

Hi newfydog.

Regards

Ralph

The GPS satellite signal is not related to any phone service, is free, and is almost never difficult to receive.

Getting data service in France is simply horrible for a visitor. It changes every year, and is getting cheaper, but I have found it is expensive and often involves a long wait at a store and difficult activation.

This cracks me up:

As a regular traveller to France and a fluent French speaker, I'm often asked for my advice on which French SIM or microSIM card is the best for an iPhone, iPad, Android device, Internet USB stick or pocket 3G-wifi router: Orange? SFR? Bouyges Telecom?
My first piece of advice is this: don't even try.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/the-best-sim-cards-for-voice-and-mobile-internet-data-in-france

One year I walked into a Bouygues store which was empty except for two very helpful ladies who go me all set up. Other years have been more difficult, and last year Verizon came out with a far better international package than they had in the past so I went with that. I only used mobile data when I really needed it and it turned out cheaper than local service. The airlines lost my baggage and they had no problem calling my US number to deliver it.

This one looks interesting if you need to call home a lot...anyone try it?

http://www.cellularabroad.com/franceSIMcard.php?gclid=CO3E8MfAirwCFQWTfgodlE4Acg

When I walked from Le Puy to SJPdP in may I used Miam Miam Dodo's iphone app called imiam. It was perfect. Not sure if it's still supported though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I walked from Le Puy to SJPdP in may I used Miam Miam Dodo's iphone app called imiam. It was perfect. Not sure if it's still supported though.
Did you have GPS active or just use the plan map tool?

Here's how to set it up:
Newfydog, thanks for recommending MotionX, which I used with great success from SJPdP to Santiago last fall. It was really great.

I'm looking for a track of the route for Le Puy to SJPdP. The file attached to your post is named lepuygpx.gpx, but when I opened it, it seems to be a track for SJPdP to Santiago. (I did not send it to Motionx but opened it in Google Earth to take a look at it first.) Am I missing something? If your file is not for Le Puy to SJPDP, do you know where I could locate one?

Thanks again for your help.

Karl

Ooops

If you go to the "Resources" section here, look under ... guides....gps tracks, you'll find the proper track. I just checked it and it is right.

I'd attach it here but I'm in France, away from my computer. I'll be in Le Puy next week!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We have the MMD app but would like to know if it enables you to navigate. If not, does anyone know of any other iPhone apps that have waypoints which would enable you to navigate?? We had a great app last year on the Via Francigena, but have not yet found one for Le Puy - SJPDP.

Thanks!

Linda

Ooops

If you go to the "Resources" section here, look under ... guides....gps tracks, you'll find the proper track.
Got it. Thanks!

Did you make this track yourself when walking the Le Puy route?

Buen Camino,

Karl

Nope, no idea where it came from. I collect GPS tracks like a hoarder with a yard full of old tires and beer bottles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nope, no idea where it came from. I collect GPS tracks like a hoarder with a yard full of old tires and beer bottles.
Thanks. Do you think it is accurate?

Have you had any experience accessing additional map types as "custom" maps in MotionX? I found a website about doing this and was able to add USGS maps and World Topo maps. I'm wondering if IGN maps could be added the same way, which would be really great. It's a matter of being able to enter the address for the server and is supposed to work for any maps using tiles.

Karl

i think that gps track is accurate. I've google earthed it a bit, and it ought to be pretty good.

I'm in France right now and I find the Motion x osm map is not great. It often does not matter if the track is good. but decent map is not too much to ask for.

the real IGN maps are available via the app I 'll put in the next message

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, Newfydog; I'll try it out.

Buen Camino,

Karl

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back