• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to St Jean starting September 22. Wanting to walk 25 ks per day to St Jean.

Garry Collins

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Frances to Santiago de Compostella
with 2 to 3 stop overs in best towns / villages . Any recommendations please also best demi pension in Le Puy for two nights on arrival ....Garry from Newcastle Australia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why not just decide for yourself as you go where and when to do your stop-overs? You may decide to stop because you are tired, sore, or because you happened into a village you really like. You might meet other walkers you want to hang out with too, which could influence when you want to stop for an extra day. Others may have recommendations, but not necessarily with your criteria for "best." I know for me, if I really needed to rest, I stopped in smaller villages. In larger towns or cities with historical interest, etc., I ended up walking more around the city on my "rest" day than I sometimes walked in a day on the trail!

Hi Gary,
I winged it and ended up staying at the Youth hostel without booking. There were two of us in a eight bed dorm. There were plenty of places to eat within a short distance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why not just decide for yourself as you go where and when to do your stop-overs? You may decide to stop because you are tired, sore, or because you happened into a village you really like. You might meet other walkers you want to hang out with too, which could influence when you want to stop for an extra day. Others may have recommendations, but not necessarily with your criteria for "best." I know for me, if I really needed to rest, I stopped in smaller villages. In larger towns or cities with historical interest, etc., I ended up walking more around the city on my "rest" day than I sometimes walked in a day on the trail!
Thanks Jill sound advice.

Hi Gary,
I winged it and ended up staying at the Youth hostel without booking. There were two of us in a eight bed dorm. There were plenty of places to eat within a short distance.
Thanks Helen will definitely look at the Youth Hostels.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your expected distance per day is about right, but some stages have little choice for distance. To plot the possibilities, go to this site:

Thanks FALCON , exactly what I wanted but didn't know how or where to gain information .
Your expected distance per day is about right, but some stages have little choice for distance. To plot the possibilities, go to this site:

Greetings and Bonne Route GR65 from Sydney. I did this last year in July/August. Setting a distance is unreasonable and you will miss festivals and saint's days that pop up along the way. Also, the path is variable. Muddy, Rocky, up, full of cows, French cows are friendly. I never managed 25 km a day, but I'm a fat old woman. But I saw a great festival in Estaing, (and met Valerie d'Estaing's grandson, looks just like him.) and back tracked to another festival in a village famous for it's giant wolf. Too much planning gets in the way of the experience. For booking in advance, buy yourself a French sim card, I bought a French phone with a keypad, Yeah! Cheaper 49 euro and easier. I have to say, I found the people who insisted on going a set distance every day a real pain. They were mostly French, who treated it like the tour de France. I did walk with an 83 year old Frenchwoman who was faster than me for a few days. The Miam Dodo 'Le Puy à Cahors' is excellent.If you pm me, I'll send you it. Never had a bad meal always take the DP option, sometimes the flies were worse than in Australia! The French haven't discovered screened windows or Aerogard. The signs on this route are very well maintained. Carry apples and sugar for all the horses and cows you will meet. One or two over protective dogs along the route. Avoid. Have Fun, Practise yr French!

" the flies were worse "
Having walked LePuy route twice with small flies/gnats in the shade of my hat brim, I heavily meditated on the question
"Are these flies assigned to me for the whole of the way, or do they operate in relays"

My favorite route!!

€83,-
Greetings and Bonne Route GR65 from Sydney. I did this last year in July/August. Setting a distance is unreasonable and you will miss festivals and saint's days that pop up along the way. Also, the path is variable. Muddy, Rocky, up, full of cows, French cows are friendly. I never managed 25 km a day, but I'm a fat old woman. But I saw a great festival in Estaing, (and met Valerie d'Estaing's grandson, looks just like him.) and back tracked to another festival in a village famous for it's giant wolf. Too much planning gets in the way of the experience. For booking in advance, buy yourself a French sim card, I bought a French phone with a keypad, Yeah! Cheaper 49 euro and easier. I have to say, I found the people who insisted on going a set distance every day a real pain. They were mostly French, who treated it like the tour de France. I did walk with an 83 year old Frenchwoman who was faster than me for a few days. The Miam Dodo 'Le Puy à Cahors' is excellent.If you pm me, I'll send you it. Never had a bad meal always take the DP option, sometimes the flies were worse than in Australia! The French haven't discovered screened windows or Aerogard. The signs on this route are very well maintained. Carry apples and sugar for all the horses and cows you will meet. One or two over protective dogs along the route. Avoid. Have Fun, Practise yr French!
Thanks Carole will put some apples away. Walked the Camino Frances in 2014 all of October and had the best weather so fingers crossed for the Le Puy walk.
Oops, I have just bought a new hat for my LePuy in September 😳
Thanks I'd better prepare myself for those bugs , better flies then mossies!

You might find the Way of Saint James - Via Podiensis FB group helpful ... it is a private group and super-friendly and super-helpful on all questions ... many people find gronze an excellent resource ... personally I think the Miam Miam Dodo app and / or guidebooks are the best resource for planning your walk on this path ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back