• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to Vezelay October and November

lynnmanning

Hi all!
Feeling more confident and truly excited about the journey from Cahors to Le Puy--have located the guides and maps recommended, read KiwiNomad's blog and the timing for that leg of my journey in late September and early to mid-October seems okay. What suggestions do you have for the Le Puy to Vezelay section? I have the maps Bridget suggested, but has anyone walked it in mid to late October and early November? Any sense of how long it should take? Will there be accommodations available after All-Saints?
Thank you again for being there! (I am looking forward to being someone else's Guardian Angel after I complete my journey!!!!) And I must say being able to tell my offspring-of-little-faith that all of you women of a certain age have preceded me has been glorious!!!
Lynn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Lynn, at the time you are walking over the Aubrac Plateau you could well stike coolish (and perhaps wetter) weather. I was crossing it in early August and there were a couple of days when it was quite cool (and I don't feel the cold!). I have said to my friends who are or who have walked the Camino that it will be fairly easy to purchase additional clothing etc along the way in Spain, however, once you leave Cahors it may be fairly difficult to purchase lightweight warm gear until you get to Le Puy, so just bear that in mind with your planning. Can't help with the path from Le Puy to Vezelay but I am sure there are others who can, Cheers, Janet

I met a Dutch woman who went 'cross country' between Vezelay and Le Puy, (having already walked from her home in Holland). She was made of very sturdy stuff! She walked across mountainous regions of the Massif Central, that were not waymarked, on her route to Le Puy from Vezelay. It sounded like it was difficult walking, not for the faint-hearted. But I am not at all sure if this is the only way between Le Puy and Vezelay. Perhaps there is a lower level route that others take.
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Lynn

You might find this blog interesting. This couple have been walking from London since the beginning of the year. They have not done all the journey consecutively, and have nipped back to London and Paris at various times, so its not easy to work out where they are all the time. In June they were in the mountains north of Le Puy. Rachel mentions the GR3, and some ski/summer huts which are open all year. She found the mountains rather daunting, but that seems to be a emotional problem for her.There are also very beautiful photos by the husband, David.

http://verylongwalks.blogspot.com/2008_ ... chive.html

You may be able to contact them via their blog and get some information about their route.

I hope my gut feeling is a reliable indication of what you should be doing, given that I haven't been anywhere near your route, as yet! We should be at Vezelay by about 20 Sept, though!

How did you manage to get the maps so quickly? I love maps and can pour over them for hours, finding possible cycle friendly but motor traffic-less tracks and paths, comparing the closeness of contour lines and making decisions about which way to go based on how interesting the names of villages are!!

Hi all!
Janet, thank you for the weather warning! I'll take heed!!!! Bridget, thank you for the blog link--it was really fruitful--gave me lots of hints to pursue! I got the maps only virtually--had them sent to a friend in Chartres where I'll be staying. And PLEASE don't worry about me jumping on your suggestion--I take full responsibility for falling in love with the Le Puy route. Well, I guess Margaret has to share some "culpability" for her awesome blog. I hope you all have an amazing experience and I thank you for making mine so rich before I even cross the Atlantic!!! I need to buy new shoe laces and spruce up the rain gear, and then I'll be ready! I'll probably check in here from Chartres seeking encouragement and/or last-minute info, but until then. . .
Buon camino (or should I say, bon chemin?)
Lynn

lynnmanning said:
Buon camino (or should I say, bon chemin?)
Lynn
Bon Chemin! Bonne route! Bon courage! I am sure you will hear them all!
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lynn, If you are sprucing up the rain gear, I have purchased a "poncho" called a Packa from the Cedar Tree - google Packa (raincoat) and you should be able to find it. I am delighted with the weight and the general design. It is large enough to provide adequate protection, but super light. The principle of being able to use it as a "pack cover" on inclement looking days and then being able to pull out the arms and wear it as a "coat" if the rain does come and all without having to put my pack down to get the coat out really apeals. I got it from the States - it can only be ordered on line. (that's if you have time before leaving) Of course - as with all rain jackets (even my expensive goretex ones) I have no doubt that it will get very uncomfortable inside if I have to wear it up steep hills, but I love it - musch lighter than the Altus. Cheers, Janet

Paulus said:
Maybe this thread is helpfull for accomodation between le puy and vezelay;

The Rae in this thread must be Rachel from the very long walk blog!

Bridget and Peter said:
http://verylongwalks.blogspot.com/2008_ ... chive.html

Isn't it satisfying when things link up!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back