• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy vs. Norte.

Sanman

Walking for Nature
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy, Francis, Portugal, Norte, West Highland W,
Le Puy vs Notre difficulty:

Hi all, we are seniors, done several Caminos most recently le Puy (Via Pondiensa). We loved it but it was a tough walk in sections - like the walk out of Conques and the hike out of Cahors amongst many others. I have read that Del Norte is tougher - more elevation and more pavement.

I was wondering for those that have done both how you would compare them. I do realize that everything is relative but I'm just trying to get a general sense of the difficulty so i can plan rest days and # of walking days etc.

So is it a little bit harder 10%? or 25%? or way, way harder...any feedback appreciated.

Second question

We can't walk in the heat...we have started all our Caminos in April, we were thinking for Norte around the 20th...I know this is a hard question to answer but knowing it's on the water, more rain and cooler is this a reasonable start date?

We will be walking to Finisterre/Muxia so 35-40 days so really want to minimize hot weather avoid the heat dome Europe seems to be getting theses days...if we can

Thx all

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tough call. More elevation change the first days on the Norte than Le Puy. Weather near the Bay of Vizcaya late in April can be iffy. I lived there for years and if there is a major late season snow storm n the US, it finds its way there a week later.

Tough call. More elevation change the first days on the Norte than Le Puy. Weather near the Bay of Vizcaya late in April can be iffy. I lived there for years and if there is a major late season snow storm n the US, it finds its way there a week later.
OK thanks ...been debating later in April or early May...and good to know that it doesn't seem to be "that much harder" Thx again for the insights

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unfortunately spring - April/May is my only window
Just trying to decide when in April or early May to start
I would opt for the May start, but that’s just because the average rainfall is less in May than in April and temps are a bit higher. I’ve walked the Norte starting in Irún in early May and late May and found the month of June to be even better than May. But given your restrictions, I would say, just start as late as possible. There is a sweet spot on the Norte, when lots of accommodations are open and available for pilgrims at low prices. Too early, and they’re not open. Too late, and they are filled with tourists, and you will have low availability and high prices. When I walked through the month of June, we were often able to find two bedroom apartments for 60€ for 4, or hotel prices in the 20-30 range. Those prices would be several times higher in peak season.

There’s also a thread on the forum about coastal alternatives to all the asphalt. These off-camino routes are spectacular, at least all the ones I’ve done have been. Though the trails are all well marked, I think a GPS is a good idea because getting from the camino route on the road over to the trail is not always obvious or direct, even though it’s usually less than a kilometer.

But having put in a big plug for May, I know lots of people who have walked in April and also loved it! So you don’t have any bad choices here, IMO.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would opt for the May start, but that’s just because the average rainfall is less in May than in April and temps are a bit higher. I’ve walked the Norte starting in Irún in early May and late May and found the month of June to be even better than May. But given your restrictions, I would say, just start as late as possible. There is a sweet spot on the Norte, when lots of accommodations are open and available for pilgrims at low prices. Too early, and they’re not open. Too late, and they are filled with tourists, and you will have low availability and high prices. When I walked through the month of June, we were often able to find two bedroom apartments for 60€ for 4, or hotel prices in the 20-30 range. Those prices would be several times higher in peak season.

There’s also a thread on the forum about coastal alternatives to all the asphalt. These off-camino routes are spectacular, at least all the ones I’ve done have been. Though the trails are all well marked, I think a GPS is a good idea because getting from the camino route on the road over to the trail is not always obvious or direct, even though it’s usually less than a kilometer.

But having put in a big plug for May, I know lots of people who have walked in April and also loved it! So you don’t have any bad choices here, IMO.
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, all great points to consider.

Hi all, we are seniors, done several Caminos most recently le Puy (Via Pondiensa). We loved it but it was a tough walk in sections - like the walk out of Conques and the hike out of Cahors amongst many others. I have read that Del Norte is tougher - more elevation and more pavement.
We've walked both the Le Puy and the Norte, in early spring.

We did not find the Norte much tougher than the Le Puy, but I think I was fitter when I started the Norte so that may have helped.

I agree that it would be better to start as late in the spring as possible, we experienced quite a bit of rain in April.

Having twice walked both routes I would definitely class the Norte as easier than the Le Puy. The walks out of both Cahors and Conques are much harder than anything on the Norte. The Norte certainly has some more pavement, but also more pleasant beaches to walk along (firm sand for walking barefoot). It also has some very interesting little quirks (eg you have to catch a couple of small ferries across estuaries, as well as a transporter bridge, some escalators along streets, a train across a bridge etc). Its ups and downs are somewhat more than the Le Puy route. But this is mainly due to the last part of the Le Puy route being very flat and easy compared with earlier parts of Le Puy which have a lot of steep ups and downs.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Indeed start as late as possible. I'm walking the Norte from Bilbao now and we have had on and off rain. My previous experience on the Norte is that the weather in October was better than early June. One just never knows being on the coast.

Temperatures in the morning have been cool at around 12c and haven't gotten higher than 24c on sunny days.

We've walked both the Le Puy and the Norte, in early spring.

We did not find the Norte much tougher than the Le Puy, but I think I was fitter when I started the Norte so that may have helped.

I agree that it would be better to start as late in the spring as possible, we experienced quite a bit of rain in April.
Thx Kanga - this really helps

Indeed start as late as possible. I'm walking the Norte from Bilbao now and we have had on and off rain. My previous experience on the Norte is that the weather in October was better than early June. One just never knows being on the coast.

Temperatures in the morning have been cool at around 12c and haven't gotten higher than 24c on sunny days.
Wow - that's cool for late June- July but great walking weather. Thx for that update!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having twice walked both routes I would definitely class the Norte as easier than the Le Puy. The walks out of both Cahors and Conques are much harder than anything on the Norte. The Norte certainly has some more pavement, but also more pleasant beaches to walk along (firm sand for walking barefoot). It also has some very interesting little quirks (eg you have to catch a couple of small ferries across estuaries, as well as a transporter bridge, some escalators along streets, a train across a bridge etc). Its ups and downs are somewhat more than the Le Puy route. But this is mainly due to the last part of the Le Puy route being very flat and easy compared with earlier parts of Le Puy which have a lot of steep ups and downs.
Thank-you this information is very very helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to respond

I walked the Norte this year April 28-June 7. Had rain the first day, then not again until Galicia, though it did rain occasionally in the afternoons after I was in for the day. Did almost all the alternatives in @peregrina2000’s extremely helpful ‘alternatives’ thread, and highly recommend, though it did result in adding (spectacular, asphalt-free) days. Cannot compare to LePuy, however, as I haven’t walked it.

I walked the Norte this year April 28-June 7. Had rain the first day, then not again until Galicia, though it did rain occasionally in the afternoons after I was in for the day. Did almost all the alternatives in @peregrina2000’s extremely helpful ‘alternatives’ thread, and highly recommend, though it did result in adding (spectacular, asphalt-free) days. Cannot compare to LePuy, however, as I haven’t walked it.
Thank you very much - all these experiences help us figure out what to do and when! Appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Second question

We can't walk in the heat...we have started all our Caminos in April, we were thinking for Norte around the 20th...I know this is a hard question to answer but knowing it's on the water, more rain and cooler is this a reasonable start date?
We started in Irun on March 19th 2019 as we also prefer cooler temperatures and had great weather with only a few days of rain .

You have gotten some really good advice
I too have walked both and found Le Puy a little tougher. Both are beautiful.
’ve walked the Norte starting in Irún in early May and late May and found the month of June to be even better than May. But given your restrictions, I would say, just start as late as possible.
Weather near the Bay of Vizcaya late in April can be iffy. I lived there for years and if there is a major late season snow storm n the US, it finds its way there a week later.
Everyone knows from what they speak and they are all giving excellent advice. The people I have inserted here have always been people I have listened to and followed their advice. I would especially add that the thread on Variants that @peregrina2000 mentioned will add lots of enjoyment if you choose the Norte. There is more up and downs on the Norte early on but a lot of great payoffs to the ups. Bring walking poles for sure. I think Le Puy overall may be more beautiful only because of the wide variety of landscapes. But you sure can't beat seating on a rock eating lunch or taking a break looking out into endless miles of ocean.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
wow - thx...did you walk all the way to Santiago? How were the temps - teens and low 20's C?
Yes we arrived in Santiago on April 30th with a few rest days.
I just looked back through my photos and not sure of the temps but most days we were wearing long sleeve tops and a few days in just t shirts. I don’t remember it being particularly cold and we posted gloves, beanies etc home from Bilbao as they were unnecessary .

I would agree with those who say that the Norte is certainly no harder than le Puy. On balance, apart from a couple of fairly demanding days nears the start, I would say that the Norte is somewhat easier. And mid-April is a lovely time of year to set off. Buen Camino! Tom

Sincere thanks Laurie ; our feet will thank you, in September! fondly sandi, Hospitalera; Viana, Grado & in October, El Burgo Raneros.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not read most of these posts yet, but I walked the Le Puy starting on May 27th 2018 ,thru all of June. Only one downpour and a couple of showers all month long. It did get quite warm the final week.

I walked the Norte/Primitivo combo starting on April 20th, 2016. I too, was concerned about rain, but we had very few downpours, but more drizzles. We still had great temperatures and lots of sunshine.

I thought both routes had difficult hills, but such outstanding in beauty that any tiring stretches were worth the uphill efforts.
I would be happy to repeat either route again in a heartbeat!

You have gotten some really good advice
I too have walked both and found Le Puy a little tougher. Both are beautiful.

Everyone knows from what they speak and they are all giving excellent advice. The people I have inserted here have always been people I have listened to and followed their advice. I would especially add that the thread on Variants that @peregrina2000 mentioned will add lots of enjoyment if you choose the Norte. There is more up and downs on the Norte early on but a lot of great payoffs to the ups. Bring walking poles for sure. I think Le Puy overall may be more beautiful only because of the wide variety of landscapes. But you sure can't beat seating on a rock eating lunch or taking a break looking out into endless miles of ocean.
Thank you thank you - so kind to respond with such detail.I feel confident we can start walking late April and while cooler and wetter, for me much better that to dry and too hot! Hiking poles for sure and good rain gear!

I was wondering for those that have done both how you would compare them. I do realize that everything is relative but I'm just trying to get a general sense of the difficulty so i can plan rest days and # of walking days etc.

So is it a little bit harder 10%? or 25%? or way, way harder...any feedback appreciated.

Second question

We will be walking to Finisterre/Muxia so 35-40 days so really want to minimize hot weather avoid the heat dome Europe seems to be getting theses days...if we can

Thx all
Hi, we are seniors (69 and 74). We completed Le Puy in early May this year. We had done it in 2014. Like you we don’t walk in the heat - even though we are Australians - in fact we had 4 days of snow on the Aubrac Plateau. We left Le Puy on the 24th March. We did Del Norte in 2015 the year after our first Le Puy and I think Le Puy is tougher. We walked Del Norte through April. The weather was good - a few rainy days. We loved Del Norte but didn’t do Primitivo just the coastal route. The first day out of Irun is tough but we’ll worth the climb. Good luck.

Hi, we are seniors (69 and 74). We completed Le Puy in early May this year. We had done it in 2014. Like you we don’t walk in the heat - even though we are Australians - in fact we had 4 days of snow on the Aubrac Plateau. We left Le Puy on the 24th March. We did Del Norte in 2015 the year after our first Le Puy and I think Le Puy is tougher. We walked Del Norte through April. The weather was good - a few rainy days. We loved Del Norte but didn’t do Primitivo just the coastal route. The first day out of Irun is tough but we’ll worth the climb. Good luck.
Thanks Annie - that info is very helpful! We too plan to do the coastal route and not do the Primitivo, and it sounds like we can start in April!

Unfortunately spring - April/May is my only window
Just trying to decide when in April or early May to start
I started May 1 in 2011 - times and weather patterns change but it was lovely and comfortable

I do have one recommendation - I have done this twice and my favourite time I broke down the start into 4 very short legs and built my distance in later. Irun to Pasaia; Pasaia through San Sebastián to Akelarre or there about; the next day on to Askizu and then the fourth day to Deba (or just past - there was a hostel a few km past Deba).

Ooops here is a second thing . . . . there is a brick road coming down into San Sebastián from the cliff path (first or second day) and if it is raining when you walk down that road it can be insanely slippery. If it is at all wet, call a cab from the hostel at the top and ride down to protect your CAMINO!

Have a wonderful time.

Thank you thank you - so kind to respond with such detail.I feel confident we can start walking late April and while cooler and wetter, for me much better that to dry and too hot! Hiking poles for sure and good rain gear!
Hi, we started the Norte from Irun on 29th April this year and had no rain for the first three weeks. Only about 4 days after that were drizzly on and off until Santiago. Usually t-shirt was warm enough when walking. Plenty of accommodation available.

Hi, we started the Norte from Irun on 29th April this year and had no rain for the first three weeks. Only about 4 days after that were drizzly on and off until Santiago. Usually t-shirt was warm enough when walking. Plenty of accommodation available.
Thx so much Karen - I hope 2023 is the same because that's when we plan to do.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Second question

Thx all
I have walked both and enjoyed them both immensely. I think the LePuy may be my favorite overall, so please know my bias. The first five days on the Norte are challenging. Having said that, if you do not take a few of the variants during the first several days - including day one out of Irun to San Sebastián - you can avoid more difficult parts with the big(ger) ups and downs. Yes, there is a lot of asphalt on the Norte, some of which can be avoided by taking alternative tracks. There are great resources on this forum that will show you where those are and how to get to them. I normally walk in April/May, but I walked the Norte in September and it was very sunny and unseasonably hot. The hot asphalt resulted in a couple of not-too-terrible blisters, which I have generally managed to avoid on other caminos. There were long stretches on fairly untraveled roads that had no shade. That was, I think, the toughest part for me. I also found the Norte a bit more expensive, especially in Basque Country (touristico areas). It was more comparable to the LePuy than, say the Frances of Portuguese, in that regard. I was prepared for this as many of the Albergues were still closed due to Covid. This pushed pilgrims into competition with the tourists for private rooms.

As for the question of whether the Norte is harder than the LePuy? In my opinion. yes, there are bits that are somewhat more physically taxing early on. 25% harder? No, I don’t think so. My suggestion would be manage your distances according to the level of difficulty (refer to Gronze) each day, and have a good look at any variant you may be tempted to take. Also, get off the asphalt when you can. Thanks to great advice of those on the forum, I had a lot of lovely walks along the beach or coastline instead of up on the hot road. The Norte is a beautiful Camino and impossible not to enjoy, even with some big ups along the way. Buen Camino!

I have walked both and enjoyed them both immensely. I think the LePuy may be my favorite overall, so please know my bias. The first five days on the Norte are challenging. Having said that, if you do not take a few of the variants during the first several days - including day one out of Irun to San Sebastián - you can avoid more difficult parts with the big(ger) ups and downs. Yes, there is a lot of asphalt on the Norte, some of which can be avoided by taking alternative tracks. There are great resources on this forum that will show you where those are and how to get to them. I normally walk in April/May, but I walked the Norte in September and it was very sunny and unseasonably hot. The hot asphalt resulted in a couple of not-too-terrible blisters, which I have generally managed to avoid on other caminos. There were long stretches on fairly untraveled roads that had no shade. That was, I think, the toughest part for me. I also found the Norte a bit more expensive, especially in Basque Country (touristico areas). It was more comparable to the LePuy than, say the Frances of Portuguese, in that regard. I was prepared for this as many of the Albergues were still closed due to Covid. This pushed pilgrims into competition with the tourists for private rooms.

As for the question of whether the Norte is harder than the LePuy? In my opinion. yes, there are bits that are somewhat more physically taxing early on. 25% harder? No, I don’t think so. My suggestion would be manage your distances according to the level of difficulty (refer to Gronze) each day, and have a good look at any variant you may be tempted to take. Also, get off the asphalt when you can. Thanks to great advice of those on the forum, I had a lot of lovely walks along the beach or coastline instead of up on the hot road. The Norte is a beautiful Camino and impossible not to enjoy, even with some big ups along the way. Buen Camino!
Thx Duayne, what a great note. Thank you for taking the time to write a response for me, it was really really helpful!

The Cicerone GR65 Guidebook says the walk out of Cahors after the Pont Valentre bridge requires some scrambling??? Is that the case?

The Cicerone GR65 Guidebook says the walk out of Cahors after the Pont Valentre bridge requires some scrambling??? Is that the case?
In 2017, with a giant backpack, I did use my hands at some points going up there and it was a bit scary. It's still hiking and not mountain climbing at all, but it certainly is one of the steeper and technically more difficult sections of the GR65. This year I took the alternative path ("route equestre", for people with horses and donkeys - go right instead of up, follow the orange balisage) and was happy I did. With a smaller pack it is probably no problem at all, but with my monster pack and sandals I did like the alternative route better.

I walked up to the top of that steep hill from the Cahor bridge in June 2018. It was a bit of a scramble mixed with normal climbing, but was rather short lived...not too bad imo. I wouldn't let it sour someone from doing it.
Pictures I took from the top of the climb to show how high it is.
Screenshot_20220709-150013~2.pngScreenshot_20220709-150028~2.png

Second question

Thx all
We are doing Le Puy now it’s tougher than the del Norte.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Second question

Thx all
Good morning from California. I am hoping to do the le puye camino next year but I did the camino Norte in 2017. I started May 6th and before I was finished , about 40 days total, I had some very hot days. Walking near the coast the weather was almost always pleasant but as we left the coast to go to santiago we experienced some really hot days. Hope that helps and buen
camino

Good morning from California. I am hoping to do the le puye camino next year but I did the camino Norte in 2017. I started May 6th and before I was finished , about 40 days total, I had some very hot days. Walking near the coast the weather was almost always pleasant but as we left the coast to go to santiago we experienced some really hot days. Hope that helps and buen
camino
Thx Keith...did you find Del Norte pretty? From the videos i watched seems like a lot of road walking and big cities...?

Wow. Lots of people with a variety of appraisals. So obviously your experience can fall into a range depending on what challenges you.

My wife and I did both in May. le Puy to Sjpp in 2017 and Norte in 2018. The spots you mention as hard are both very steep. The Norte has some steep climbs but some longer ones in Basque Country that show overall elevation gains and losses higher than Le Puy stages. Both smooth out as you move along. We found we were in great shape when we got near the end and I finished in Roncealles after an easy hike over the Napoleon route. Even though this is a hard stage. So it will depend à great deal on your condition going in. We were both around 60 in age at the time.
We’re looking forward to doing the Frances to round out our experience…..
As for dates, your probability of getting rain does increase slightly as you move your departure date back, but the variability from one year to the next is very high. This was a bad year to start in April…… Next year may be glorious…

Bien Camino

Wow. Lots of people with a variety of appraisals. So obviously your experience can fall into a range depending on what challenges you.

My wife and I did both in May. le Puy to Sjpp in 2017 and Norte in 2018. The spots you mention as hard are both very steep. The Norte has some steep climbs but some longer ones in Basque Country that show overall elevation gains and losses higher than Le Puy stages. Both smooth out as you move along. We found we were in great shape when we got near the end and I finished in Roncealles after an easy hike over the Napoleon route. Even though this is a hard stage. So it will depend à great deal on your condition going in. We were both around 60 in age at the time.
We’re looking forward to doing the Frances to round out our experience…..
As for dates, your probability of getting rain does increase slightly as you move your departure date back, but the variability from one year to the next is very high. This was a bad year to start in April…… Next year may be glorious…

Bien Camino
Thx for your thoughts
Yes to me it’s almost like people asking what shoes did you wear… Where do I begin… Maybe people don’t even wear shoes they were boots or the way sandals and on and on
We are in good shape the one thing that does concern me is it doesn’t look that pretty it looks like a lot of pavement and a lot of big cities is it as pretty as they say?
We are going to go all the way to the coast this time should be a cool trip rain or shine!

To TDS: No, even though I was carrying a full pack both times I did the Le Puy route, I did not "scramble" up the hill out of Cahors. It is very steep but I was still able to slowly walk up it without scrambling although I can imagine some people needing to scramble. I did use one walking pole to assist (I only ever walk with one pole (just my preference).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.