• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

le Puy vs. Vezelay, del Norte vs. Frances?

JanusDT

Time of past OR future Camino
Vezelay
Hey all,

My name is Janus, a Dutch 26 year old man. At the start of July i will start my Camino, which will take approximately two months. What i hope to get out of it is inspiration and a sence of direction for my future life. First I will walk trough France (part of vezelay or le Puy) for about 20-30 days and than finish in Spain for about 30 days (Frances or del Norte).

As you might be able to detect from the text above, i find it difficult to find the right camino for me. However, my current plan is to start in limoges and walk to Saint pied, and from there continue with camino frances.

Anyone any ideas on le Puy vs. Vezelay, and del Norte vs. Frances? I cannot spend a lot of money (since i quit my job) and have unfortunately only 60 days.

Kind regards!
Janus

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey all,

My name is Janus, a Dutch 26 year old man. At the start of July i will start my Camino, which will take approximately two months. What i hope to get out of it is inspiration and a sence of direction for my future life. First I will walk trough France (part of vezelay or le Puy) for about 20-30 days and than finish in Spain for about 30 days (Frances or del Norte).

As you might be able to detect from the text above, i find it difficult to find the right camino for me. However, my current plan is to start in limoges and walk to Saint pied, and from there continue with camino frances.

Anyone any ideas on le Puy vs. Vezelay, and del Norte vs. Frances? I cannot spend a lot of money (since i quit my job) and have unfortunately only 60 days.

Kind regards!
Janus
Hi janus
I'm currently on day 14, on the del norte, the terrain has been tough, with not a lot of water points, & accommodation has been tricky at points, only yourself will know what route to take.....
Buen camino my friend
Graham

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Janus!
I find it hard to give a young man an advice, also as a pilgrim who did all all of the caminos you mentioned.
It depends much on your mindset. For instance: Are you looking for fellow pilgrims to share your thoughts? Can you deal with solitude?
In the first case the voie le Puy could be the right choice in France for you. In the second case I’d recommend the voie de Vezelay.
In Spain you’ll find both of your options much more frequented but the Frances I’d call crowded.
So, if you’re looking for social contacts and communication then choose the via Podiensis (may be starting in Conques, Figeac or Cahors to save time) and the Frances, if you prefer contemplation and meditation then take the via Lemovicensis ( where Limoges is a good starting place) and the Camino del Norte.
Hth

¡Ultreia!

But the scenery has been stunning
That's an inportant addition! Thanks a lot for your reply. Indeed I have some concerns about accomodations on that route, especially since i am on a tight budget.

Buen camino to you too!

Hello Janus!
I find it hard to give a young man an advice, also as a pilgrim who did all all of the caminos you mentioned.
It depends much on your mindset. For instance: Are you looking for fellow pilgrims to share your thoughts? Can you deal with solitude?
In the first case the voie le Puy could be the right choice in France for you. In the second case I’d recommend the voie de Vezelay.
In Spain you’ll find both of your options much more frequented but the Frances I’d call crowded.
So, if you’re looking for social contacts and communication then choose the via Podiensis (may be starting in Conques, Figeac or Cahors to save time) and the Frances, if you prefer contemplation and meditation then take the via Lemovicensis ( where Limoges is a good starting place) and the Camino del Norte.
Hth

¡Ultreia!
Thank you sir! I will definitely concider these factors. I look for solitude and contemplation so I now tend to go with the second option.

Greetings!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you sir! I will definitely concider these factors. I look for solitude and contemplation so I now tend to go with the second option.
Hi Janus
I feel you have already researched the available routes and are only looking for comparisons. However, just in case - I will mention to you to check out the site: www.gronze.com
which will give you lots of additional info when you drill down. It indicates many of the available accommodations along each route and indicative cost and inclusions at same. distances ., profile maps etc etc.

I am also hoping to walk the Vezelay route one day and always look for reviews on it., so will follow your thread. I’ve learned that it is not as well travelled as the Le Puy route., which I walked in 2016.
In respect to the Le Puy route ., it is not as busy as the camino Francés and after Conques .. it really did quieten down (in numbers walking) . Of course that would also depend on whether you walked in school holiday periods etc. So you still have room for contemplation on le Puy especially if you start further south as you indicated. It is a wonderful and friendly walk with lots to see and interesting places along it.

If you start in July in France ., that would also put you into the late July period and august walking in spain. It can get very hot - so possibly another reason to choose the Norte as it could be a little cooler up there?

Good luck with your planning and I hope your finances work out for you.

Buen camino
Annie

Hi Janus
I feel you have already researched the available routes and are only looking for comparisons. However, just in case - I will mention to you to check out the site: www.gronze.com
which will give you lots of additional info when you drill down. It indicates many of the available accommodations along each route and indicative cost and inclusions at same. distances ., profile maps etc etc.

I am also hoping to walk the Vezelay route one day and always look for reviews on it., so will follow your thread. I’ve learned that it is not as well travelled as the Le Puy route., which I walked in 2016.
In respect to the Le Puy route ., it is not as busy as the camino Francés and after Conques .. it really did quieten down (in numbers walking) . Of course that would also depend on whether you walked in school holiday periods etc. So you still have room for contemplation on le Puy especially if you start further south as you indicated. It is a wonderful and friendly walk with lots to see and interesting places along it.

If you start in July in France ., that would also put you into the late July period and august walking in spain. It can get very hot - so possibly another reason to choose the Norte as it could be a little cooler up there?

Good luck with your planning and I hope your finances work out for you.

Buen camino
Annie
Hi Annie, thanks for your reply! Its nice to hear your experience on le Puy. Sounds wonderful.

I am indeed anxious for the heat I will encounter during my walk. Unfortunately the timing works out that way. Good to know that del Norte is generally a cooler walk!

I'd say Vezelay ; and I have been hearing good things about the Norte in recent days, and for a strong enough hiker, it would seem that there are now enough Albergues, which I understand has not always been the case.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you all for the help!

I've decided to do the vezelay starting from Limoges. During this stage i have plenty of time to think about where to go from SJPDP. Del norte sounds nice because of its cooler whether conditions and the stunning sights, but i am affraid its a bit less spiritual and 'pelgrimlike' and more expensive and harder to find accomodation. Frances sounds nice because it is a traditional pelgrimage with more religious and spiritual aspects, but it might be too crowded for my taste and extremely hot in August.

Lets find out what the camino tells me to do😋!!

I have walked all of the routes you mentioned. I prefer the cool of mountains to the sea. I walked Vezelay to Sainte-Foy-la-Grande, which is on the Dordogne river. Further south the countryside changes to tree plantations very boring (neatly planted rows of pines, not a true forest). I took a train to Irun/Hendaye and walked on the Norte. It was spring and it rained every day. After seeing San Sebastien and Bilbao, I took a train to Santander. It continued to rain and I turned at Oviedo and walked the Primitivo. I was so happy to be back in the cool mountains. So I would recommend starting in Le-Puy-en-Velay and at least walking thru the Aubrac and the central highlands of the massif central. Then flip to wherever you want to walk the Norte, and segue into the Primitivo. The Frances will be terribly hot and frighteningly crowded right now.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I think both routes, Vezelay and Le-Puy are wonderful, but the first parts of each, walking in central France, are the best. Once you descend to lower elevations in the south, they are great, but since you don't have enough time, edit out the southern ends of each. In other words, don't start in Limoges. But this is if you like mountains, as I do.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey all,

Kind regards!
Janus
A thing to consider if you want to do the norte in August. July and August are the months that many Spanish people go for holidays. Accomodations other than albergues will be busyfull and/ or expensive.

Hey all,

Kind regards!
Janus
I have walked Le Puy, the Frances and Norte. Budget wise Le Puy and I suspect all caminos in France will be more expensive than the Spanish Caminos as you stay in Gites and have dinner and often Breakfast. I payed between 30-35 Euros a night plus lunches and snacks in 2015. The Norte is a little more expensive than the CF. If you buy food in the grocery store and prepare dinners in albergues (even cheaper if you cook with other pilgrims) and make food for the following day’s lunch and snacks you can easily do it for under 30 euros a day and some days even 20 euros. Le Puy was almost all retired people and barely a living soul speaks English. They tend to only walk with friends and are very nice but seem to keep to themselves. I spoke no French but still loved it. Have to plan ahead each day as you must call to the next gite do they know how many for dinner. The owners of Gites always called for me.
CF more crowded but more infrastructure and a wider variety of pilgrims. When I walked on the Norte in 2018 there were four more younger people. I was 64 at the time. Everybody’s really nice but there are far less of the families that you see on the Camino Frances. It just seemed people were a little more independent when they walked but very friendly in the Alber is at night. There may be more younger people walking the Norte than the Francis because it is more difficult Camino to walk physically. Both have their own beauty. Of course the Norte has the majestic sweeping views of the ocean. There is a lot of road walking but if you know about the variants you could stick to the coast more often and staying on the official camino. There is lots of information here on the form about the different variance on the Norte. Have a great trip and Buen Camino.

That's an inportant addition! Thanks a lot for your reply. Indeed I have some concerns about accomodations on that route, especially since i am on a tight budget.

Buen camino to you too!
Vezelay is a good route, but a lot of pavement, even the farm roads, very little traffic, but paved. Le Puy to St. Jean Pied de Port is a great route, and for me better than Vezelay. In Spain, I found much more of the "Spirit" of the Camino on the Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I think both routes, Vezelay and Le-Puy are wonderful, but the first parts of each, walking in central France, are the best. Once you descend to lower elevations in the south, they are great, but since you don't have enough time, edit out the southern ends of each. In other words, don't start in Limoges. But this is if you like mountains, as I do.
Thank you! For some reason i do not find the idea of travelling with public transport during my camino attractive. Perhaps it gives me less 'pelgrimic' feeling. Anyhow, your comment is urging me to look more into the Puy route.

Cheers!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back