• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

le puy

randbam123

Time of past OR future Camino
5/29/2013 first walk
plan on le puy route 5/14
Hi, I did the camino frances last May and will go back to do the Le Puy to SJDP route I am going sometime in May early June and worry about not speaking French, also looking for another pilgrim to at least do part of it?
michael

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Have you read the other posts here? The language question has been addressed here recently

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/comradery-le-puy-vs-camino-frances.21593/

and in passing here:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/trip-report-sept-oct-2013.21197/
and
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/trip-report-june-july-2013.20013/

And you'll want to keep an eye on the calendar here:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-de-santiago-calendar.htm

though not a single Anglophone I met hiking in Sept/Oct this year was aware of this message board, so I'd wager you can expect more language-compatible encounters by accident than by pre-arrangement.

--Bill

I speak very little French, and have completed five pilgrimages in France. I never had a problem finding a translator in a crisis, but don't expect any of the services along the way to speak anything but French. The Quebecois were the very best translators, but Belgians, Swiss, Dutch, and German pilgrims also were very helpful.

As always, it is useful to know some of the local language.

Bon chemin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm starting May 31, 2014. Maybe I'll see you along the way!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We're both in our early 60s and have never done a long walk like this so will be travelling slowly. Great to see so many of us will be on the Le Puy route in May. Cheers

We're both in our early 60s and have never done a long walk like this so will be travelling slowly. Great to see so many of us will be on the Le Puy route in May. Cheers

It is very beautiful but take it easy to start. There are some strenuous sections between Le Puy and Conques. If you have a choice between a 15 km day and a 20km day - take the gite or chambre d'hotes at 15 km. I particularly remember the steep descent into and climb out of Monistrol, and the long descent to St Come d'Olt.

I envy you. The scenery is stunning, the villages and towns beautiful, the people interesting, and the food superb! Enjoy the croissants.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bonne route!
Out of Sauges last May I gave up counting when 50-60 pilgrims had passed me, so you will definitely not be alone on the road. As Kanga said there is a very steep climb down to Monistrol. I did it once in a dry August, and in wet weather last May I took the road from Saint Privat d'Allier to Monistrol. It was a quiet road, met very few cars and the view was beautiful.

That sounds comforting. We'll keep in mind the road in case the weather turns nasty. Cheers

It is very beautiful but take it easy to start. There are some strenuous sections between Le Puy and Conques. If you have a choice between a 15 km day and a 20km day - take the gite or chambre d'hotes at 15 km. I particularly remember the steep descent into and climb out of Monistrol, and the long descent to St Come d'Olt.

I envy you. The scenery is stunning, the villages and towns beautiful, the people interesting, and the food superb! Enjoy the croissants.
We'll certainly take it easy for the first few days. We know it's tempting to go hard to start with but have made that mistake before. We spent several weeks in the Dordogne area last year and found it stunning, so really looking forward to the villages, scenery and food. Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Michael,
I'm planning to leave on May 29. Might see you there.

Hi Michael,
I'm planning to leave on May 29. Might see you there.
We are 3 60-something guys from New Jersey - Mike, Gary and me (Charlie) - and are also starting from Le Puy on May 29. Only going as far as Conques. Not much French in the group. Already booked accommodations through CaminoWays. Bon chemin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am 57 and heading solo (with my partner as driver and back up as we are staying in 2 campsites) to either Conques or Figeac in 10 days walking, starting out on May 27th.
Ruaidhri

I am 57 and heading solo (with my partner as driver and back up as we are staying in 2 campsites) to either Conques or Figeac in 10 days walking, starting out on May 27th.
Ruaidhri
Dia duit Ruaidhri
How are the Dublin gammy knees holding up?
I'm hoping to do this stroll In September and wondering will I meet fellow Irish walkers.
AMDG

Sent from my iPad

Dia is mhuire dhuit. I didn't meet any Irish person on the walk. It was predominantly French people with a splattering of Canadians and Americans, a few Belgians. I think that most Irish people begin at St Jean Pied de Port and begin the Camino Frances. Don't let this put you off though as everybody is really friendly and only a little French will get you a long way. The knees held up fine thankfully. I decided to be realistic and aim for Conques rather than Figeac as I only had 10 days. It is a beautiful stretch of the Chemin with the highlight for me being suddenly emerging onto the Aubrac at a time when I was sagging in strength, and being totally revitalised by the breathtaking wonder of the Aubrac (a cross between the Curragh of Kildare and the Burren at altitude!!). I am going back to resume from Conques next year. Last year I did a taster week from Figeac to Moissac which is also a lovely stretch of the Chemin, and resolved to do the whole walk over 4 years to St Jean, and maybe onwards to Santiago in future years, although I have walked circa 400 kms of this route in Spain many years ago (1990) on a fundraising walk for the MS Society. Have a bon chemin in Sptember!
Ruaidhri

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back