• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy

Julescan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2014
My sister and I arrive in Le Puy on May 3rd 2014 via train ..arriving at 12.30pm. We the need to organise our credential and getting a guide ... We would like to start walking in the afternoon... My question... Is this practical... Is there an auberge we can walk to before the sun sets on us ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can get a guidebook and a credential in the shop inside the cathedral. There is a gite in Tallode outside Saint - Christophe-sur-Dolaison after 8 km. Gite Mme Allegre 04 71 03 17 78/06 18 11 38 06.

My sister and I arrive in Le Puy on May 3rd 2014 via train ..arriving at 12.30pm. We the need to organise our credential and getting a guide ... We would like to start walking in the afternoon... My question... Is this practical... Is there an auberge we can walk to before the sun sets on us ?

Julescan,

Be sure to check out the earlier Forum thread on the first day of the Le Puy route
and, of course, the Forum topic devoted to the Le Puy route.

Bon chemin,

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jules, I know you might have a short timeframe- but there is a lot to see in Le Puy, and if you can manage it, it would be great to stay a night there. The chapel of St Michael on top of the 'needle' is a very special and humbling place to climb.
Margaret
PS I think the sacristy in the Cathedral is closed for lunch until 2pm, though I might have that wrong. You'll soon find that most places, except the restaurants, are closed for lunch along the Le Puy route.
IMG_7069.jpg

That amazing chapel on the volcanic neck was built by Godescalc, the bishop of Le Puy after his trip to Santiago in 951. That started the whole thing.

There is often a morning send off at the cathedral, where the modern bishop will give you his blessing. Then there is the enormous Mary, made from canons melted down after the Crimean war, made in the style of the statue of liberty (yep, that is a kid's face under the wrist). Don't skip out of LePuy----I'd just as soon skip the Cathedral in Santiago and rush to the airport!

lepuy a.JPG lepuy b.JPG lepuyc.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bonjour Julescan, I fly out of Brisbane April 30 and arrive Lyon the same day. Spending 2 nights in Lyon to recover from any jetlag, last minute purchases (poncho & Miam Miam DoDo) and to arrange a train to Le Puy. Then 2 nights at Ibis Le Puy (close to the cathedral) to take the recommended look around the town, Pilgrims Passport, food purchases and book next accom etc - probably St Privat. Hope to begin walking Sunday May 4 after the church service, may see you en route, buen camino, Richard

Cool.. sure our paths will cross...
Bonjour Julescan, I fly out of Brisbane April 30 and arrive Lyon the same day. Spending 2 nights in Lyon to recover from any jetlag, last minute purchases (poncho & Miam Miam DoDo) and to arrange a train to Le Puy. Then 2 nights at Ibis Le Puy (close to the cathedral) to take the recommended look around the town, Pilgrims Passport, food purchases and book next accom etc - probably St Privat. Hope to begin walking Sunday May 4 after the church service, may see you en route, buen camino, Richard

My wife, Robin, and I are flying out of Portland tomorrow bound for Le Puy. We start walking on Sat (4/26) hoping to reach Santiago via SJPP, Norte and the Primitivo. Both of us are currently fighting colds but "c'est la vie". Nobody said this was going to be easy. More later from Le Chemin.

John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm also in the last few days here. Leaving California and arriving in Lyon May 2. Will arrive in Le Puy to spend two nights on May 4 and 5 and start walking on the 6th. I wonder if I will be impatient to start walking earlier.

I thought i had it all together. It's startling how many things I can think of that I coulda-woulda-shoulda - as the time approaches.

I hope to run into some of you english speakers on the trail sometime. :)
Here's to a wonderful journey for everyone!
Buen camino.
Desota

Wonderful ... Thanks for all the replies. Sooo excited... Will be staying night in Le Puy now... ;-). Next question... Any recommendations for accommodation...would like to stay in an auberge preferably... Start as we mean to go on....

Well, this place seemed appropriate, and was pretty nice and central

hotel st j.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have had a look at the Hotel Saint Jacque.... I'd rather not spend that much...an auberge is what I'd like... Can anyone recommend one in Le Puy please :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A couple of big recommendations for gites so far. We are in Figeac and I would highly recommend La Grange at Montbonnet, La Ricochet at Monistrol- Allier , super recommend Les Deux Pelerins at Villaret D'Apchier !! And we have just finished our second absolutely astounding dinner (2 night stay) at Chez Celia in Figeac.
Maggie Ramsay

Another lovely gite, that I forgot to mention, the eco gite in Viviole, which is a suburb of Decazeville. Very ecologically sustainable, a beautiful building and friendly hosts Christian and Beatrice. (We also had the nice surprise of a pilgrim with a donkey arriving for the night!)
Maggie Ramsay

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would like some advice from people who have walked the Le Puy to SJPP. We need to trim about a week as we are walking quite slowly and don't want to rush it. What are the Must See parts and what could we miss. we are just into the Cele Valley tonight.
Maggie Ramsay

Another lovely gite, that I forgot to mention, the eco gite in Viviole, which is a suburb of Decazeville. Very ecologically sustainable, a beautiful building and friendly hosts Christian and Beatrice. (We also had the nice surprise of a pilgrim with a donkey arriving for the night!)
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino; Desert and Dust Down Under - Amazon)
Thanks so much Maggie for the gite recommendations. I have made note of them for my Camino Le Puy next April.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back