• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaky boot

michaelk

Time of past OR future Camino
camino del norte 2015 and 2016
camino portugues (2017)
Hi. One of my Merrell Moab boots has developed a small leak on the top near the toe. Is there a waterproofing spray/liquid that would solve the problem? Cheers, Michael K

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi. One of my Merrell Moab boots has developed a small leak on the top near the toe. Is there a waterproofing spray/liquid that would solve the problem? Cheers, Michael K
My thought would be to purchase a small tube of clear silicone (often used around bathtubs to seal connecting edges) and fix it with that. It's waterproof and flexible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a similar problem back in 2015 on the CF, I managed to get some rubber super glue, it worked and solved the problem and I have to say lasted another 200 mile, but alas on returning home the shoes were confined to the bin. But the super glue (if you get the right type) does work.

Hi michaelk,

I am with WAKA. It is actually SuperGlue gel that will do the trick. If you know exactly where the hole is, fill it and you may not even see the fix. Shoe Goo is great stuff but more relegated to the sole / heel rather than the upper.

Let us know what works.

Use Shoe Goo, Goop or clear silicone to try to caulk the INSIDE of the show where the leak is occurring. Use your finger, or a cotton swab, to force the material into the seams.

Let it dry for at least 24 - 36 hours in a well-ventilated place before trying to use it.

This should help.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had a similar problem back in 2015 on the CF, I managed to get some rubber super glue, it worked and solved the problem and I have to say lasted another 200 mile, but alas on returning home the shoes were confined to the bin. But the super glue (if you get the right type) does work.

I know a couple who used their worn out boots as flower pots in their garden!

Use Shoe Goo, Goop or clear silicone to try to caulk the INSIDE of the show where the leak is occurring. Use your finger, or a cotton swab, to force the material into the seams.

Let it dry for at least 24 - 36 hours in a well-ventilated place before trying to use it.

This should help.
Thanks to all who have suggested stuff. Much appreciated. Michael

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.