• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

learn to speak spanish or...

+@^^

my lack of Spanish language skills led to the most beautiful experiences on the camino
i tried to avoid any english speaking pilgrims
because that made conversation too easy, and i felt isolated from other non-english speaking pilgrims
this lead to me having to really concentrate during multi lingual conversations
i was ever so grateful for my basic university Latin
this gave me access to many of the romantic languages
and an elementary access to the richness and perspective of other cultures
BUT....
probably the most under-estimated skills
are those of Charades and Pictionary
i still crack up at some of the 5-language conversations that took place in Spanish, but without a single Spanish native tongue speaker being present
so at the dinner table were:
a dutch woman (we spoke Afrikaans and she could also speak a bit of Spanish and French)
a young German guy who spoke 6 languages (and he anchored some conversations and translated)
a Japanese woman who had and electronic translator and a bit of basic Spanish
a French guy with a French / Spanish phrase book
me with and English / Spanish phrase book
we drew pictures on paper serviettes
acted out scenes
referred to phrase books
used 3 or 4 versions of the same word
followed by raucous "sI sI"
......... and all this just to understand what was on the menu del dia
the thrill of achieving commucation was one of the greatest highlights of my camino
for me, this was a connection of hearts
a beautiful experience

A selection of Camino Jewellery
20 odd years ago, in St Juan de Ortega, the priest there (now passed on) insisted that all pilgs get together at the start of the evening and discuss the camino. We were many different nationalities, had no common tongue and somehow it worked! A remarkable experience.

In the morning we were woken by the sound of Gregorian chant floating up to the dorm......

This past camino, I had walked 3 full days with a Spanish who spoke not a word of English. And I know probably no more than 20 Spanish words. But those were not silent days. Conversation flowed continuously and somehow we understood each other.

Whist it was an interesting experience, and I do wish I know more and could communicate better.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back