• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Learning a language in a year - documentary of/by a language professor

Geodoc

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018 (across Pyrenees, then Sarria to SdC), CF 2019 (SJPdP to Finisterra & Muxia), CI 2019
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great post. It’s how I learned both my fluent although grammatically imperfect Spanish and Slovak.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great post. It’s how I learned both my fluent although grammatically imperfect Spanish and Slovak.

@Colette Z Did you find a class or how did you acquire your languages? The problem with finding language parents in my area is that they mostly speak Tex Mex.

@Colette Z Did you find a class or how did you acquire your languages? The problem with finding language parents in my area is that they mostly speak Tex Mex.

I learned both Spanish and Slovak by being immersed in the language/culture and “acquiring” them vs studying. I referred to the process of acquiring vs learning. Also I taught English as a second language (volunteered) and instinctively used magazines to tell the story behind the photos, I drew a lot of pictures, I acted out a lot.....I rarely spoke in the other language.

Re TexMex....I speak Spanish from Chihuahua (learned it 44 years ago as an exchange student) and while walking my Caminos in Spain the country folk love my Spanish. There’s nothing wrong with TexMex. However, Skyping with other Spanish speakers who want to exchange for English is great.

I have been doing conversation exchange for about four years. Amazingly, my French and Spanish teachers at the university near my home had no experience with how easy it is to find a conversation partner. My only recommendation is that if you are 60, don't exchange with a 20 year old. I've tried it, but it didn't work for me. Also, this is not for people without about two years of college level language instruction. You've got to be able to converse a little or your lack of ability to comprehend and speak will burn your partner out.

I've used this site with pretty good success. "Pretty good" because not very partnership is what each of the partners might envision at the get go.

Finally, you can select the country for your prospective partner. So if you don't want to learn Tex Mex Spanish, select a partner from Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As somebody who is far less than fluent in multiple languages, I found this documentary about college professor Jeff Brown acquiring (not learning) a new language in a year. If you've got at least six months until your Camino, you might want to check this out. I wish I had seen it months ago.

Warning - the video is an hour long (and there's a couple of annoying ads in the middle).

Thanks for posting. Watched the whole video!
Has certainly got me thinking.........

Now where to 'kidnap' a native Spanish speaker ? 🤔

I echo Robo’s thanks. There is a lot of sense in what is proposed as a way to acquire a language. I have about six words in the Irish language that I was exposed to 50 years ago. Each one very useful, can be used in the positive and the negative so that makes twelve words! I learned French, German and Latin in school. Later, I acquired Spanish by immersion, and it is fairly well still alive in me. I had trading partners, I read a lot - far beyond my vocabulary level, but that is why my dictionary is thumbed severely. I understand the encouragement to use children’s illustrated story books - stories have always been great teachers. I just have a niggle about using children’s books with adults. I see though, it depends on how you use the stories, and which kind of story. I could go on, but i will just repeat thanks for the link, and for the reminder to be creative in my skype chats with a few Polish friends who are trying to maintain their English. I promise myself that I will never again try to correct the ‘f’ used instead of the ‘th’ in words like thread, thumb, think. There is a guy by the name of Dave Skonda who does great videos for that purpose, why would I take away his audience?!!!

I have taught ESL in several countries and thus have observed many students and how they progressed, and I have learned a couple of languages both on the street and in the classroom -- and from my experience I don't think there is any one-size-fits-all prescription for learning. For example my study of Spanish was greatly accelerated by reading the daily newspaper to pick up vocabulary, of course facilitated by the large number of easy-to-figure-out cognates. But that didn't work for Thai (which I still can't read worth a dang much beyond menus and road signs) for which accurate mimicry of tones is essential and can only be learned by the old "trial and error" method -- and there WILL be a lot of errors, some of them embarrassing. So not only the learner's aptitude but the target language itself demands a different strategy. That said, I tend to agree with the video that mastery of grammer should be a low priority for learners. It will come when it will come. Back in the day the term "communicative competence" was very much in vogue within the language teaching community. It simply meant the ability to get your ideas across to an interlocutor in another language, and to comprehend what they were trying to say to you rather than to strive for perfection. If there was any one central strategy to recommend it would be to drop any vestige of self-respect and to stumble through with whatever capability you have, knowing that exposure and practice will bring improvement. Works for infants, after all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just as there are different kinds of intelligence, so there are varieties of learning or acquiring styles. I value the post, as it has led me to refresh and expand my awareness and knowledge in the field. My new project: finding a range of useful stories as the basis for skype conversations with speakers of languages other than English....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back