• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Learning Spanish for the Camino -- suggestions?

Wiebmer

Ning Wiebmer
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Frances, 500 miles. 2016 Via Francigena, 200 miles. 2018 Frances Burgos to Sarria.
My husband and I are headed to the Camino Frances in mid-April -- we'll do the full route to Santiago. I'd like to do some intensive Spanish language study -- one on one -- perhaps over Skype? Does anyone have any suggestions of a tutor or program? Thanks! Ning

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Simply Google Milwaukee Spanish Lessons and you will see lots of options from WMU to Berlitz, going by lists of tutors. Since you are so close to the largest Spanish speaking community in the US, I'm sure you will have lots of options, perhaps even your local Y.

Here in Montreal there is a store that specializes in all things Camino related and they also give Spanish lessons - perhaps of interest to any other Montrealers who may be on this forum. It's called La tienda: d'ici a Compostelle.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some years ago - before going to Mexico - I bought a primer and tried to teach myself. My sons were mighty impressed that I could have meaningful conversations with persons there. - Later I went to Guatemala and had one-on-one courses. I now extensively read Spanish books - now only look up few words.

So - when I went onto the camino - I thought I was well prepared and set (I thought). But alas not so! - I just couldn't understand Spanish (pronunciation) when spoken by Spanish persons - maybe my bad .... - but good will from both parties in understanding will help you along - e.g. when talking to helpful locals, like to the left, to the right or walk straight on

annelise

I just couldn't understand Spanish (pronunciation) when spoken by Spanish persons - maybe my bad .... - but good will from both parties in understanding will help you along - e.g. when talking to helpful locals, like to the left, to the right or walk straight on
annelise

Reminds me of when I would visit Paraguay for work and it took me a good 3 days to understand anything. Same for Chilean TV when living in Argentina. And to think Spanish is my mother tongue ;0) Try to find TVE shows on the internet, perhaps that will help with the lisp.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Reminds me of when I would visit Paraguay for work and it took me a good 3 days to understand anything. Same for Chilean TV when living in Argentina. And to think Spanish is my mother tongue ;0) Try to find TVE shows on the internet, perhaps that will help with the lisp.
Anemone, this chimes in with my Guatemalan experience (Spanish speaking all over). They said that they would never watch 'Spanish' films - they couldn't understand the language ...

annelise

I have been using the BBC online basic Spanish course,Mi Vida Loca and am finding it easy to follow.

I hope to begin my 2nd camino late march/april this year.

Looks interesting...........

I was thinking I might try a few one on one lessons as well as online learning, just to make sure I am on track and correct pronunciation.

Not that I am a language buff by any means, but I have found that accurate pronunciation goes a very long way to being understood.

That raises a question, highlighted above.

Should I try to find a Spaniard as a teacher, rather than a South American?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looks interesting...........

I was thinking I might try a few one on one lessons as well as online learning, just to make sure I am on track and correct pronunciation.

Not that I am a language buff by any means, but I have found that accurate pronunciation goes a very long way to being understood.

That raises a question, highlighted above.

Should I try to find a Spaniard as a teacher, rather than a South American?

A tough question ... really. There are four official languages in Spain and several recognized dialects. Everyone learns castellano (that being what we know as Spanish), and that is what is taught in the language schools for foreigners, but there is a wide range in accents and people from several autonomous communities speak their own language (such as Catalunian) on a day to day basis. South Americans have strong distinctive accents too ... some as like as someone who has a strong Scots accent speaking English ... It is said that people in Ecuador and Colombia speak Spanish with an accent that closely resembles that spoken by a Spanish Language Instructor from Salamanca (where Spanish is said to be spoken in its purest form).

I wouldn't recommend going to a school in Salamanca. I nearly got killed when 8 balconies came crashing onto the sidewalk on my way from the school to my apartment. There is something to be said about building standards and maintenance that is sadly lacking ...

This thread on learning Spanish has thrown up a number of questions for me.

The primary one being just how much Spanish do I realistically need?

As I see it I am going to be walking for approximately 5 weeks mainly in the company of fellow pilgrims who come from many countries around the world and for whom the lingua franca will probably be English.

If one believes what one reads on this forum, when on the Camino Frances, there will be pilgrims in front of me, behind me and a plethora of yellow arrows pointing in the direction of travel.

If that is true then I find it difficult to believe one could easily get lost and need to discuss in detail from Spanish-only speaking natives in which direction to walk.

When arriving at a bar/cafe/restaurant surely a nodding acquaintance with the Spanish words for the items on offer or on the menu will be sufficient?

Like Lise T I am enjoying and working my way manfully through the Duolingo app so that when I am organising accommodation or ordering a drink or meal I can do so in Spanish and with some of the social graces and not too many linguistic gaffes.

It is not that I want to be a monolingual Brit who assumes or presumes that Johnny foreigner jolly ought to speak English, it is just that I cannot see a need to be able to discuss the finer points of Spanish politics, football and the various separatist movements when one is staggering with fatigue from having walked many kilometres and only want a shower, a drink, a meal and a bed.

Such a Spanish as I have, at present, comes from two years of not paying attention at school when supposedly learning Castilian Spanish and then many years later, when in Chile for six months, picking up the language again but with their pronunciation which, believe me, bears very little resemblance to Castilian pronunciation!

However, my friends, do tell me where, and if, I am wrong and that I need more Spanish than the Duolingo app can provide?

Massive Duolingo fan, it is a lot of fun. I got the app on the 2013 Apple 12 Days of Christmas. (On the other hand, the Brazilian Portuguese was way off in several (elementary!) word pronunciations, so I'd supplement it with a second opinion!) Memrise is similar, and user generated. Though "DIY", I found it better in a lot of ways.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This thread on learning Spanish has thrown up a number of questions for me.

The primary one being just how much Spanish do I realistically need?

An interesting 'take' on the language issue bystander. One I have pondered long and hard, finally giving in to learning a few dozen words that will cover the basics. Food, wine, a room for the night....

Of course I could rely on my trusty 'babel fish'. a.k.a. the 'Voice Translator' App on my phone.

It copes quite well with essential phrases such as "A glass of your finest Claret please"

There is only one draw back I find with it.....
It returns the spoken question as a Spanish phrase so that I may try speaking it. Very handy.
It will even play back the phrase spoken in Spanish so that all may here. Perfect. No need to even try to speak the Language.

But alas it lacks one critical feature that all Brits abroad rely on when faced with a 'blank stare' by the local populace.......

The ability to repeat the phrase at three times the volume to better improve communications ;)

Better learn a few words I think, just in case my phone battery dies........ :oops:

If you are carrying a mobile device with you I recommend you download Google Translate (free), and in settings download Spanish for offline use.
Here are the links for iPhone and Android . Supposedly it works well with voice-recognition, but I didn't need that feature.
Duolingo worked great for me as well. I've started using it a few months before my Camino and when I got to Spain I could carry on a basic conversation.

I'm a big duolingo fan and use it all the time. It can be very addictive!
I also like https://babadum.com, it's a great way to pick up vocab before you go. It's amazing how easy words stick.
Mi Vida Loca also is handy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got along OK with a smart phone and web based translator, but I do have some basic French and Italian language skills.

I cannot see a need to be able to discuss the finer points of Spanish politics, football and the various separatist movements when one is staggering with fatigue from having walked many kilometres and only want a shower, a drink, a meal and a bed

However, my friends, do tell me where, and if, I am wrong and that I need more Spanish than the Duolingo app can provide?

I find that every bit of language you know will enrich the trip. You are a guest in a foreign culture, and the locals can offer you far more than food and a place to sleep. If you are so staggering with fatigue that you can't appreciate the cultural part of your pilgrimage perhaps you are going too far each day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear Anemone,
Where is the store located, and do they have a website?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While I haven't used it for Spanish, Rosetta Stone has been a phenomenal help for me in learning Portuguese. I've heard great things about the Spanish course from a few friends who took French in high school and then realized that Spanish is much more useful in the USA.

I've dabbled with Duolingo as well (for Portuguese again), and it is very fun. It's easy to use if you just have a few minutes of free time and want to get some practice in, and free.

I've tried the Babbel website and the video series Mi Vida Loca. They were both fine, especially for beginners. Since Spanish is so close to English, I recommend reading texts, listening to music and radio, watching movies in Spanish as much as possible. My favourite tv series since I was a kid was Los Serrano and that's where I learned my first Spanish phrases from.

I hope you find a way to learn the language that works best for you. Everyone is different. The locals appreciate the effort, even if you spoke just a few words of Spanish! :)

Robo - you asked whether you should take a course from a Spaniard rather than from a South American. Definitely if you are going to use Spanish in Spain. The accent and use of quite a few words are completely different. Most South American countries don't use the subject pronouns vos and vosotros . It is considered rude and low class in some countries but is common in Spain. And of course there's the lisp... I found that some of the names of food are completely different even as you walk across Spain but also different from the various Latin American words. Just as there are many forms of the English language, there are also many forms of Spanish. The basics are the same of course, but there are many differences as well.

Think of a non-English speaking person learning to speak American English and then trying to figure out what a Scotsman is saying:)
On the other hand - you don't really 'need' any of it - but every word you learn is a bonus and will enhance your communication with locals. One thing I have found that all Spanish speaking countries have in common is that they really appreciate all of our stumbling attempts to speak their language.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you have time there are Spanish Language Schools for Foreigners at interesting locations around Spain. Take two weeks to get some basics in an immersion environment.

I attended classes provided by these schools:

Don Quijote
http://www.donquijote.org/

Enforex
http://www.enforex.com/
Which did you like the most? I'm walking the camino April/May and wanted to study Spanish along the way to improve my language skills for when I return home

Been using Duolingo now since last fall. Hope to finish before we leave for the Camino on May 21. Wish I also knew a bit more French, but Spanish, German, and English will have to do for this trip.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back