• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Learning Spanish

chempark

I've just started to study Espanola preparing for my first Camino in Aug.
This is my first experience of Spanish, though I learned very very very little French at high school, I feel they have a little similarity at first glance.
Please encourage me not to stop studying, and to finish nice Camino. haha.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Chempark,
I am in the same situation as you. I learned French only in high school and now at 58 am trying to learn Spanish on my own. They are similar in the sense that they both have male/female forms informal/formal and some of their words are very similar. I like that there are Spanish cognates. Keep at it!
I have only one thought for you to consider. I find that I learn best with both verbal and visual information combined. So if I were to do it again I would start with a book/workbook with a set of CDs that follow along. I can not tell you want product is best as I did not get one like that. Maybe others will have ideas for you on products they think are good. I did buy CDs (cheap ones) and 2 used travelers Spanish books (both small) and 1 dictionary. I will begin my camino in SJPP on May 18th.
I do not plan on taking any of them with me. I am going to write out common phases I know I will need and some specific words.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Stefania

I can recommend Rosetta Stone as an effective way to learn the basics in a short amount of time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whatever you do, find time to walk the Camino. I can say without hesitation that it was the best experience of my life. But don't worry about speaking fluent Spanish. While it certainly is polite to speak to the locals in their native tongue, English is the second most frequent language used on the Camino. I didn't miss a single meal or a cold beer and I didn't speak a lick of Spanish before I went. Hand gestures go a long ways on the Camino. For example, if you can place all of fingers together and gesture toward your mouth you telling a bartender that you are hungry and wish to see a menu. But again, knowing how to say please, thank-you, and good afternoon in Spanish does go along ways.

There were only two times on the Camino that I wished I spoke fluent Spanish. Both times involved straggling through small villages in mid-afternoon when elderly men got up from their resting places and began to walk with me, offering me words of encourage. When we reached the end of their villages, both men shook my hand, slapped me on my back and gestured with a sweeping motion toward the path while wishing me a "Buen Camino." All I could offer them was a "gracious" with tears in my eyes.

Last edited:
I can recommend Rosetta Stone as an effective way to learn the basics in a short amount of time.
Cynwhite,
Which Rosetta Stone program or should I say level (maybe) are you referring to. I may want to continue my Spanish education when I return home. Thanks in advance.
Stefania

While it certainly is polite to speak to the locals in their native tongue, English is the second most frequent language used on the Camino.

There were only two times on the Camino that I wished I spoke fluent Spanish. Both times involved strangling through small villages in mid-afternoon when elderly men got up from their resting places and began to walk with me, offering me words of encourage. When we reached the end of their villages, both men shook my hand, slapped me on my back and gestured with a sweeping motion toward the path while wishing me a "Buen Camino." All I could offer them was a "gracious" with tears in my eyes.

That was a truly lovely experience for you Robert, also encouraging to read. You always feel a warmth towards pilgrims as you make your way along, but yours was special. I have chatted with gents etc out for a walk themselves before dinner, but we have managed a two way, with them knowing a little English and me likewise a little Spanish.

To chempark,
Enjoy learning espanol,

I continue to do the same, poco a poco. I don't want it to be work, a new word here , learning a little grammar or saying there.
At my age I don't hold great expectations of keeping up with the 'TV Spanish' news speed. Shotgun speed to my ears, I keep open to key words and poco a poco, vocab and understanding grows.

Best help would be to immerse yourself in the life and language.
Next best to have someone there to practise the language with
Next. Work on it steadily. If you throw it in, it gradually dims until you start again.
Initially, puck up some books with CDs or straight CDs and play them when you can. I play in the car often.
Heaps of free learning on internet sites if you have time to sit at a PC.
I've heard a few mentions of Rosetta Stone mentioned above by cynwhite. I haven't got to that yet myself

I hope to keep it going.
They are all similar (English, Spanish, French, Italian,) in many cases, as many of the words share the same Latin roots.

Bottom line - learning anything is good exercise for the brain and especially good as we get older to keep learning. Don't want to rust up!

Buena suerte!

Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Even better is Pimsleur. Plus, you can listen to it while you walk. You build up, just like you were young and learning Your native language.

I am doing the first set of thirty, almost finished (good thing since it is less than 2 months away), and I feel confident I will be able to make myself understood.

Also I picked up a book called "Say it Right in Spanish" a great phrase book that also writes out the words so you don't butcher their language.

Kris

There were only two times on the Camino that I wished I spoke fluent Spanish. Both times involved straggling through small villages in mid-afternoon when elderly men got up from their resting places and began to walk with me, offering me words of encourage. When we reached the end of their villages, both men shook my hand, slapped me on my back and gestured with a sweeping motion toward the path while wishing me a "Buen Camino." All I could offer them was a "gracious" with tears in my eyes.
Robert, it was traditional (but only elderly people, in rural villages, keep this) that people gave a loaf of bread and a cup of wine, or alternatively gave directions and walk a while with a pilgrim, and said farewell asking "por favor, rece por mí cuando llegue a Santiago" (please, pray for me when you arrive at Compostela). These usages are fast disappearing, so maybe you were one of the last being asked for a pray.

Robert, it was traditional (but only elderly people, in rural villages, keep this) that people gave a loaf of bread and a cup of wine, or alternatively gave directions and walk a while with a pilgrim, and said farewell asking "por favor, rece por mí cuando llegue a Santiago" (please, pray for me when you arrive at Compostela). These usages are fast disappearing, so maybe you were one of the last being asked for a pray.

Now I really wish I spoke Spanish. I am so glad that when I hugged Santiago I thanked him for everyone who was gracious and kind to me along the way.

BTW, there was one other person besides these two gentlemen who significantly touched my heart. One afternoon I was particularly tired and really struggling. I am sure I looked like a mess. I was in the middle of no where when I came upon a farmer's house and an older woman was working in the garden. She took one look at me and graciously offered me food and water. I wasn't hungry, but I accepted water from her. It is moments like this that I will never forget.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Now I really wish I spoke Spanish. I am so glad that when I hugged Santiago I thanked him for everyone who was gracious and kind to me along the way.

BTW, there was one other person besides these two gentlemen who significantly touched my heart. One afternoon I was particularly tired and really struggling. I am sure I looked like a mess. I was in the middle of no where when I came upon a farmer's house and an older woman was working in the garden. She took one look at me and graciously offered me food and water. I wasn't hungry, but I accepted water from her. It is moments like this that I will never forget.
These are the experiences I am hoping to have. Thank you. I too am trying to learn some Spanish so will try the recommendations. I do seem to be a slow learner though !! Must be my age. Gracias everyone. Leave on the 1st September so I still have some time to hit the books ! Sriyantra

Hello all!

Please check out the Foreign Service Institute language course for Spain. Here is the link - http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Spanish

It is free, it is excellent, and as an English FSI 5 (native level in all areas) and a native speaker of Spanish I highly recommend it!

Just a little background for credibility, not to brag so please do not misinterpret!!!!! I have a degree in linguistics and have found this resource to be one of the best out there. I am not a fan of Rosetta Stone, this approach is very practical and rote is what is required to learn a second language after your teens...

But keep the most important thing in mind, a smile is the same in Any language :)

¡Buen camino!

At my daughter's suggestion, I downloaded an app on my iPhone.......it's called Duolingo, a language learning tool. It's not "the answer", but it's definitely fun. I recommend Duolingo to anyone interested in learning a new language. I am enjoy learning a few Spanish words. I intend on persevering and fleshing out my Spanish vocabulary before my Camino in September 2014.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At my daughter's suggestion, I downloaded an app on my iPhone.......it's called Duolingo, a language learning tool. It's not "the answer", but it's definitely fun. I recommend Duolingo to anyone interested in learning a new language. I am enjoy learning a few Spanish words. I intend on persevering and fleshing out my Spanish vocabulary before my Camino in September 2014.
I love Duolingo. I think I am addicted !!!

Thanks all kind people to advise me. I feel love from all people who voluntarily help others in this blog.
Among them, I just tried duolingo. It is fun & easy. I am going to each one step of it everyday, regardless of my "book study Spanish" progress. Thanks.

I used "Spanish with Michel Thomas" and loved it. As he says (actually, said, unfortunately he is now dead), "no books, no memorization, no homework - just relax and listen." I got the 10 CD course from my library and listened an hour or two a day while walking the month before I walked the Camino. There is a website with many famous person endorsements here ... http://www.michelthomas.com/. I have no commercial interest in this course, but I am a happy graduate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used "Spanish with Michel Thomas" and loved it. As he says (actually, said, unfortunately he is now dead), "no books, no memorization, no homework - just relax and listen." I got the 10 CD course from my library and listened an hour or two a day while walking the month before I walked the Camino. There is a website with many famous person endorsements here ... http://www.michelthomas.com/. I have no commercial interest in this course, but I am a happy graduate.
Chempark, best wishes and keep on learning Spanish. As I've been learning Spanish on my own, without speaking it [other than to a computer- Duolingo/Memrise] I have better reading and writing skills than listening/speaking. I'm taking a very small note pad and pen so that I can write down simple requests when my choice of sentence structure/accent fails me. Alternatively, I can also ask someone to write an answer [given in Spanish] for me to read. The phrases: Mas despacio, por favor [Much slower, please] & Lo puede repetir, por favor [Can you please repeat it?] will be used frequently no doubt. And for written communication: Lo puede escribir, por favor? [Can you write it, please?].

Last edited:
Chempark, best wishes and keep on learning Spanish. As I've been learning Spanish on my own, without speaking it [other than to a computer- Duolingo/Memrise] I have better reading and writing skills than listening/speaking. I'm taking a very small note pad and pen so that I can write down simple requests when my choice of sentence structure/accent fails me. Alternatively, I can also ask someone to write an answer [given in Spanish] for me to read. The phrases: Mas despacio, por favor [Much slower, please] & Lo puede repetir, por favor [Can you please repeat it?] will be used frequently no doubt. And for written communication: Lo puede escribir, por favor? [Can you write it, please?].
Avenelite,
Those are phrases I will definitely write down in my notebook. Thanks!
Stefania

At my daughter's suggestion, I downloaded an app on my iPhone.......it's called Duolingo, a language learning tool.
Thank you for the tip! Although I can do my way in Spain, my language skills are much lacking, and I have downloaded and shall refresh and learn more. Thanks again: It looked like a fun app! ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Encouragment (as requested ;-) - The more Spanish you understand and speak, the more you will enjoy, and be able to, speak with the people that live along the way.

Buen Camino! SY

There are many great programs out there. Try www.duolingo.com, fluencia.com, Italki.com is amazing. I have been taking live Spanish lessons via Skype using Italki.com.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back