• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lease an albergue?

Steve Goods

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Any advice how to rent/lease a non associated or church associated albergue (evangelistic, non catholic)?
My aim is to find an albergue, or a "religious institution" to use and not to buy.
The goal is to set up a friendly, evangelistic and early church atmosphere for the pilgrims.
Bed, supper, singing, live music, prayers.

Is there any place out there today on the el Camino, where I can join?
Or anyone else interested?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From what I heard from a non Spanish owner of an albergue : only seems feasible when you have the savings for at least buying the property ( and maybe some extra for restauration ). Take into account also that battling Spanish bureaucracy and / or administration can be rather tiring.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sounds like a nice idea. I'm sure you'll get lots of thoughts and advice here.

As a business owner and marketer, my first thoughts are around the 'bigger picture'. I'm sure you have asked yourself these questions............ But anyway........

1. Who is your Albergue aimed at? All Pilgrims, specific groups? Who is your ideal guest? Who would gain the most from staying with you?
  2. What will you offer your Guests? How will this differ from other Albergues? What will make it unique?
  3. This leads you to the type of building required.
  4. How will it be funded? By Pilgrim donations, a set fee per night, sponsors, your own pocket?
  5. What will be the operating costs per 'season'? How much income will you need to break even?
  6. How will it be staffed? Where will you find the staff / volunteers?
  7. What part of the Camino would be a good location? Why? No good being at West end of the village if Pilgrims have to pass 3 Albergues to get to you..... relying just on passing 'trade' is always a bit risky. If you are in a remote location, how will Pilgrims know you are there, and not stay in places either side of you.
  8. And what may be your biggest challenge. How will you get the word out to Pilgrims. (Marketing). Forums, signs, church groups. It would be nice to have the right Pilgrims (for you) seeking you out......
I would have an outline plan first, based on 1-8 above, before even looking for a building.

Best of luck. It sounds like a place I would drop in to...

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back