• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leave in a month - Camino already a Blessing!

Sand1

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
I thought I should get a check up before heading out for the Camino, especially since we will be gone 6 weeks. I got the shocking news last week I have breast cancer. They managed to get me in today already for surgery and it is OUT. My surgeon thinks my trip to Spain will be a perfect recovery, so the trip is on, even though we were ready to postpone. The thing is, without the Camino, I wouldn't have gone to the doctor. We never knew for sure why were going the trip, we were just drawn. Now we know, it's a Camino of gratitude and thanksgiving.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Sand1,
Though I can't even begin to understand what you must be going through, I do know that the Camino is a powerful and beautiful place. Since your doctor has given you the go ahead, I can't think of a better place to go to sort it out and to try to come to grips with your new reality. Wishing you the very best for a full recovery, and a wonderful camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Sand1 sorry you had to go through the angst but good to see a positive outcome. Just makes one appreciate how important it is to live life every day. May your camino be a wonderful celebration.

So sorry for the news and yet so happy that the camino already has proven to make a difference in your life. When are you going? I don't have tickets yet but thinking we'll be starting Sept 24th in SJPP. Stepping out of our lives for several weeks has got to be an experience regardless of what else the camino brings don't you think? Best of luck and if we don't meet know i'll be thinking of you!
celeste

@Sand1 sorry you had to go through the angst but good to see a positive outcome. Just makes one appreciate how important it is to live life every day. May your camino be a wonderful celebration.

I like that . . . . gratitude, thanksgiving, and CELEBRATION!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Best wishes for good health and a happy Camino! I am due to start my walk in 3 weeks, and suddenly find myself in the middle of a series of medical tests and wondering whether I will have to change my Camino plans. Your story is cheering and encouraging! Buen Camino!

Hello Sand1,

"You'll never walk alone."Whising you a speedy and full recovery! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought I should get a check up before heading out for the Camino, especially since we will be gone 6 weeks. I got the shocking news last week I have breast cancer. They managed to get me in today already for surgery and it is OUT. My surgeon thinks my trip to Spain will be a perfect recovery, so the trip is on, even though we were ready to postpone. The thing is, without the Camino, I wouldn't have gone to the doctor. We never knew for sure why were going the trip, we were just drawn. Now we know, it's a Camino of gratitude and thanksgiving.
Hi, I think the Camino will do good for you. I truly beleve that.
Wish you a full recovery and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Buen Camino, Sand1! They say miracles happen on the Camino. Obviously, also while preparing for the Camino. Fantastic! See you on the trail. Mooncat

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Health, happiness, and a buen camino to you Sand1.

Last edited:
Count your blessings Sand1, sounds like someones looking out for you. Second chances or little miracles do happen. Have a wonderful Camino, I'm sure I could spot you on the trail - you'll be the one stopping and smelling all the roses. From your northerly neighbour, Keith.

Well, bummer. I saw the radiologist for the 1st time today, and the Camino is out for now. She was afraid I would be using energy for walking instead of healing, and being gone 6 weeks puts me too far past when I should start radiation. So I have spend the last hour or so cancelling all our reservations. Although we are disappointed, it will be much better when all this is behind me. And as my best friend said, that trail has been around for 2000 years, its not going anywhere. I'll be watching in the weeks ahead for news and pictures!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Words escape me Sand1 other than you guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Who knew that the path of your Camino would lead you through treatment rooms and strolls around your neighborhood? A week and a day from leaving my own home (also awaiting test results that could change things), I wish you well and healthy and ready to walk, near and far and long.

@Sand1 I am so sorry for your disappointment. It sounds like you will be preoccupied for a while. I'll be thinking of you when I walk in September. When your winter is finished the spring will come; perhaps then you will be able to walk the Camino - with flowers instead of autumn leaves.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sand1, I am so sorry to hear of your change in plans. I can't even imagine what you have been going through. Know that you are in my prayers.

In the Middle Ages, a person's pilgrimage started from their home. From that point on, they were venturing into unknown territory but with their faith to guide them. I wish you well and a speedy recovery on this leg of your pilgrimage. We will watch for your posts for when you reach Santiago. Perhaps this spring, as Kanga said. Stay strong. Mooncat

I know the Camino sends us what we need, and it sounds like the Camino sent you to the doctor in time to catch your breast cancer. I pray now the journey will include complete healing and an opportunity to walk in the near future. Blessings on your medical camino. May you find all you need for that journey as well.

So sorry to read your latest news., Sand1. I wish you all the very best. May your treatments go quickly and effectively. You are in my prayers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back