• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving a loved one...

Danielle92

First time Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino in September!
Hi everyone,

I'm leaving for my first ever Camino (Frances) on the 26th September and whilst I'm really excited, I'm also really nervous.

I'm supposed to be doing the walk with a friend but it's not certain she can come. Faced with the fact I might be doing it alone and I'm a bit scared about it.

I'm married and I've been saying to my husband for years that I want to do a big solo adventure because I feel I'm too reliant on him whenever we go anywhere. I'd like to get to know myself, be comfortable in my own company and learn to trust myself. I know I'm capable of all these things, I've just put alot more trust in my husband over the years more than myself.

So my husband isn't doing the walk with me and he's totally on board and thinks it's a great idea. My question is.. has anyone else done it and left their partner at home for 6 weeks? We've never had even a week apart in 5 and a half years together, so I know this will be hard! Does anyone have any tips? Have you been in a similar situation and what did you do?

I'm slightly concerned because if there's no WiFi or signal anyway I won't be able to catch up with him in the evenings...

Sorry to ramble, I'm just feeling all the emotions I think!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,

I'm leaving for my first ever Camino (Frances) on the 26th September and whilst I'm really excited, I'm also really nervous.

I'm supposed to be doing the walk with a friend but it's not certain she can come. Faced with the fact I might be doing it alone and I'm a bit scared about it.

I'm married and I've been saying to my husband for years that I want to do a big solo adventure because I feel I'm too reliant on him whenever we go anywhere. I'd like to get to know myself, be comfortable in my own company and learn to trust myself. I know I'm capable of all these things, I've just put alot more trust in my husband over the years more than myself.

So my husband isn't doing the walk with me and he's totally on board and thinks it's a great idea. My question is.. has anyone else done it and left their partner at home for 6 weeks? We've never had even a week apart in 5 and a half years together, so I know this will be hard! Does anyone have any tips? Have you been in a similar situation and what did you do?

I'm slightly concerned because if there's no WiFi or signal anyway I won't be able to catch up with him in the evenings...

Hi Danielle,
Just to say there is wifi practically everywhere on the camino francés so you will be able to catch up with your husband in the evenings.
Buen camino :)

Hi everyone,

Dominee is right! Wifi is available everywhere! I left husband behind in 2015 to be gone for six weeks.

We either messaged or emailed every day. I was so glad to tell him about how things were going. I also used FB to update where I was, and what I was doing. This allowed me to "bring along" a very ill friend who has since died (but not without two shells from going on Camino with me, at least virtually).

You will find traveling alone to be a wonderful experience, and I think it may help you to respect your abilities more. Then, you can plan your next Camino--with the man!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If your habit is always being dependent on your husband and you want to become less dependent, then you are in the right place because this is what a big personal change feels like. What you are experiencing in this regard is quite normal. Follow through and you will find great satisfaction.

I met my husband at 16, married at 19, had 2 kids in our 20's and had never been apart more than a day or two in over 35 years. I have been relying on him my whole adult life...until I went on my first Camino in 2015 for 6 weeks without him, again in 2016, 2017 and in 2018 I will leave again for a month. Although I felt bad leaving him at home alone the first time, he did fine and one son invited him to vacation with he and his wife for two weeks while I was away. We communicated almost daily by skype and email, so we still felt connected. Upon returning home each time, it's been very special to be reunited and full of newfound appreciation for each other, something we never had experienced before.

I will add that I have always walked my Caminos with a family member, so I still don't really know what it's like to be "out there" all alone. :oops:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From my point of view, the Camino has an added dimension for women who are possibly a little older. When I walked, it seemed to be about 1/3 of the people we met were older women walking alone. I was struck with the sense that for most of these, it was the very first time in their adult lives that they had truly not been responsible for the welfare of someone other than themself. Some reveled in this new freedom, others looked for a proxy to worry about. Even though I walked with my wife she reported a "great weight being lifted off" because for the first time in 30 years, she had no kids to worry about. She found the whole thing to be an empowering experience of all things, realizing that she could live without the constant effort of maintaining the family relationships. Everyone should try it!

Buen Camino

My question is.. has anyone else done it and left their partner at home for sic weeks
Hi Danielle, my wife Marianne left me first for about 6 weeks and I did the same.
We did send a tekst with some pictures every day .
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Hi Danielle,

Though you have a fantastic reason for doing the Camino, there is something that may need more focus. You are doing this for you, first, but you are also doing this for your Husband, to prove to yourself, and him, that you are still very independent. There is no sadness to this. In fact, there needs to be great Joy. And I do believe this will bring you both closer.

And, as has been said, contacting home via internet is very easy, when you wish to.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
From my point of view, the Camino has an added dimension for women who are possibly a little older. When I walked, it seemed to be about 1/3 of the people we met were older women walking alone. I was struck with the sense that for most of these, it was the very first time in their adult lives that they had truly not been responsible for the welfare of someone other than themself. Some reveled in this new freedom, others looked for a proxy to worry about. Even though I walked with my wife she reported a "great weight being lifted off" because for the first time in 30 years, she had no kids to worry about. She found the whole thing to be an empowering experience of all things, realizing that she could live without the constant effort of maintaining the family relationships. Everyone should try it!

Buen Camino
I am not sure this applies to the OP but it certainly applies to me! It is only when child number 4 had left home for a year that I realised "woohoo, I can finally do this!".:cool:

Buen Camino
Agree completely.

I walked for the first time (started already with twisted ankle and made it only to Logrono in 2009) with my mother and we have had a lot of dispute over who should wash the nickers and socks. She wanted to do everything. Aren't mothers sweet??? We did had a wonderful time together and I can't remember the time of my life we had such a lot of laughs together.

Buuut, if I would let her do everything for me than it wouldn't even be my Camino and much less her Camino. In the end I said to her quite harsh "You're not my mom her, OK? You are my walking partner and behave like one, please!"

I think she understood :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am not sure this applies to the OP but it certainly applies to me! It is only when child number 4 had left home for a year that I realised "woohoo, I can finally do this!".:cool:
Troubles with imagination for names? But it's handy: "Number 3 come here right now! What have you done to number 2?!" :D

"You're not my mom her, OK? You are my walking partner and behave like one, please!"
Reminds of when we went skiing with our kids. I was a beginner at the same time, although they were learning much faster. They'd always be calling "Look Mommy!...look Mommy.!.." wanting me to watch and admire their skills. I remember gritting my teeth as I snowplowed down some bunny hill with intense concentration and replying "I am NOT Mommy when I'm skiing!"
I met my husband at 16, married at 19, had 2 kids in our 20's and had never been apart more than a day or two in over 35 years.
It's amazing how different experiences have led to the same place!
And I do believe this will bring you both closer.
Personally, I don't think my independent Caminos have particularly brought us closer. However, they make me happy and that has to be a good thing for everyone.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,

I have done it twice and what we did was, first, I got a local sim card that had data for the places where the wifi didn't exist or was 'iffy'. Because I am on the West Coast of Canada we were eight hours apart, time-wise, so when I finished my walk each day I would contact her using 'Viber' (a messaging app) as she was waking up. In the morning before I began the days journey I would 'Viber' her again to say goodnight to her. I would relate my day to her at the beginning of her day and at the end I would tell her where I thought I'd end up for the day. That worked really well in 2014 when I began in Pamplona. In 2016 I began in St Jean and, big mistake on my part, I did not have a sim card for France. I was out of touch of two days, she was out of her mind with worry for those same two days. Lesson learned, make sure I have a sim card for all of the EU!

Enjoy, you'll be fine and so will he.

It might be simpler just to use your more expensive Canadian phone plan for a very quick call on those 2 days. :)

Well, a reasonable person would have done just that, however, I left my sim card (and, according to the wife, reason) at home so I wouldn't lose it - the sim card I mean.

Not good. Embarrassing to admit. Dumb.

However, in my defense, I did use another pilgrims phone to send her an email from Orrison.

Unfortunately her phone tagged that email as spam because it wasn't my email account but his, the nice man from Texas who let me send the email. I did not know it at the time, I was sure I had done well, as well as I could anyway.

Apparently not. Ouch.

On the positive side she's forgiven me (sort of) and we're still married having just celebrated our 25th anniversary! As long as I don't do it again, all is well and I'm going back in 2018, by myself, with an EU good-everywhere sim card.

Wish me luck...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We met a lady in her 70's who'd lost her husband and never stepped out of America in her life. What a massive adventure she had. The start of a new adventure for you. There's lots of people doing the same thing. Read Mag Woods blogs, The Trepidation Traveller. She's a lady that does all her walks on her own and goes into depth with her day to day encounters. Good luck and next year your husband might be relying on you to do the walk lol

You won't regret going by yourself. My husband and I had never been apart for more than a week at a time. We've been married 34 years. Last year I walked the Camino with a friend. I was gone for 6 weeks. It was both strange and exciting to do it on my own. I enjoyed meeting new people and having a lot of productive time alone for reflection and daydreaming. I used FaceTime to chat with him every night about my progress and find out what he was up to. I purchased a sim card from Orange in Pamplona so I wouldn't have to rely on wifi. While everyplace had wifi, sometimes it was really slow. We're both very proud of my accomplishment.

During my first caminos my husband and I communicated when necessary by land-line telephone; since 2008 I have carried a smartphone which also serves as my camera and computer on which I write my blogs. Since we both are in our late 70's whilst apart we text each other good morning, briefly cite our daily plans, and text again at day's end. Simple, swift and efficacious this helps keep each of us in the other's loop.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Danielle,
What have you to lose? Worst case scenario, you have issues/challenges/problems and you go home early? Best case scenario you make it triumphantly into SDC and feel on top of the world and feel able to take on many other challenges. Either way you will not live with the horrible regret of not trying and not knowing what would have happened. All of us are so much more powerful than we ever give ourselves credit for. So go on, push yourself outside of your comfort zone, grow, evolve, mature and have a fantastic time on the Camino. It is a life changer in so many positive ways.
Buen Camino
Aidan

Thank you for all of your replies!
There's nothing that will stop me from going - even though I'm nervous about it, there's something telling me that it's 100% the right thing to do.
I am excited about the walk itself and what it will do/bring/give to me and I'm excited to get my confidence and independence back and I'm certain my husband feels the same way!

Buen Camino

Well.. I'm hoping that the Camino has an added dimension for women who are a little younger too! I'm 25! I do know what you mean though I feel that older women (and of course older men) have a feeling that they're responsible for so much and that actually when they do the walk, they're able to go back to that time before they were 'mum' or 'gran' or 'house-wife' etc etc. I'm hoping it'll be the same for me. I'm hoping to get to know who I am really...and how I coped before I met my husband. It's all fascinating and I just hope to come back a more 'rounded and whole' person (perhaps without actually being round and whole... it'd be nice to lose a few lbs too ;) )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Emotions are good. And so is adventure and travel. It stimulates us in so many ways. Being apart from loved ones is also healthy. Difficult but it challenges us.
Having said that. I find my device a huge distraction. I didn't have one at all on my last walk. I was fine.
Consider alternatives. Or dare I say check in oncee a week. It's amazing how liberating it was to disconnect. And remember that Chris Columbus, Vasco de Gama and even Admiral Byrd sailed around the world without wifi and cell phones.
Buen Camino!

when they do the walk, they're able to go back to that time before they were 'mum' or 'gran' or 'house-wife' etc etc. I'm hoping it'll be the same for me. I'm hoping to get to know who I am really...and how I coped before I met my husband. It's all fascinating and I just hope to come back a more 'rounded and whole' person (perhaps without actually being round and whole... it'd be nice to lose a few lbs too ;) )

Yes, there are certainly a few who attempt to "go back to that time...". Yet time's arrow takes us in a single direction only......toward a future. May I suggest that what most pilgrim's seek is simply growth. You goal is a laudable one, and your plan is sound. The Camino offers precious time alone to reflect on one's past, but more importantly, to visualize and step toward a future directed by intent rather than circumstance.

Either that, or a really fun month walking through some gorgeous countryside! Buen Camino!

Well.. I'm hoping that the Camino has an added dimension for women who are a little younger too! I'm 25!I'm hoping to get to know who I am really...and how I coped before I met my husband. It's all fascinating and I just hope to come back a more 'rounded and whole' person (perhaps without actually being round and whole... it'd be nice to lose a few lbs too ;) )

For those left behind, I put an app called Followmee on my phone and sent them a link and they were able to see where I had been in the last 16 hours. Dad would wake up and check to see that I had made it to my next destination - then not worry if I hadn't checked in yet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In September 2015, my wife and I had not been apart a single night since we had been married (15 years). This is despite the fact that I did a fair amount of business travel (she would always go with me). Then, I did the Via de la Plata, and she went to New Zealand, Thailand, Malaysia and some other countries for 2 months. I got home first and met her at the airport when she arrived. We have not been apart one nice since, but I am trying to figure out a good time to schedule the Camino Frances for myself and another big trip for her. BTW, the cost of her trip was probably about 4x mine.

I stayed in touch with my wife and parents (in their 90's) via Viber messenger, usually via a group chat so I would not need to repeat updates or photos. I also enabled (what I believe is now called ~Location Sharing~ in) Google Maps specifically with wife and parents. Both trips worked out very well and everybody felt in the loop.

Not critical, but you still have time to set it up and become familiar with it, consider installing Google Photos for both your husband and yourself and after you play with it a little (so you understand the basics) enable Partner Sharing with him (or both directions) - that way, he will get to see what you are doing. Google Photos is great - free unlimited storage - can reduce the impact of storage constraints on you phone, but learn the basics before you leave. It is easy, but don't use the Garbage Can icon unless you want to delete an image everywhere. Also, don't use it in conjunction with iCloud Photo Library (without doing some more analysis on configuration of each). PM me if you have questions on this.
¡Buen camino!

Hi Danielle! I'm starting from SJPP on 27th! I'm also going solo and leaving my boyfriend behind. This is funny because I was also going to walk with my friend but then something came up and now she can't come. I'm a bit scared too, but also very excited! I've never done something like this before, this is my first Camino! Maybe we'll meet at St Jean :) I'm staying at Beilari on 26th. - Loviisa, 19yo, Finland

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I walked the camino alone in 2015, leaving my husband of 50+ years home. I was gone two months. We kept in touch daily. I used an app called Map My Walk and he knew where I was at all times. We also used Dropbox and he had my photos each night as soon as I signed on to the internet. I only had a cell phone with me but managed to take thousands of photos, text him throughout the day, and called him every night. Plus do a daily blog on line. We are in California so I texted goodnight each evening and then turned off my phone so that I didn't have a phone ringing during the night. In the morning....sometimes long before the sunrise, I sent a text that he would find as soon as he got up that I was out the door and on the trail. I used T-Mobile service and it was fabulous. No extra cost and no special equipment. I am going alone for my second camino in 2018....to celebrate my 80th birthday. Already packing and planning. Have my plane ticket. If you are starting at SJPDP....contact Ivar Rekve at Corazonpuro@corazonpuro.es for reservations for the first night. He will pick you up at the train station in Pampoloma, you have a dinner with other new pilgrims, a comfortable bed and he drives you to SJPDP in the morning. Make your second stop at Orisson. My blog information is below. The link to the photos has been changed but the journals are all there. Enjoy.
Buen Camino
Martha
Armchair Travel With Martha
marthajans.blogspot.com

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Miss Martha, in reference to Pension Corazon Puro, as I understand the pension is no longer in business, the website shows "cerrado" [ http://www.corazonpuro.es/ ] Thanks, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

p.s. If this is incorrect please let me know.

Miss Martha, in reference to Pension Corazon Puro, as I understand the pension is no longer in business, the website shows "cerrado" [ http://www.corazonpuro.es/ ] Thanks, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
This is true. I tried to stay with Istvan a second time this past spring. He and his wife had to return to Hungary for family health reasons. He indicated he hoped to reopen Corazon Puro in the future at some point.

Danielle92..... I heard from several that Corazon Puro is closed. So sad at it was a wonderful experience and a real safety net for me when I did my first Camino. But, I will recommend the alburgue that I stayed in at SJPDP....Beilari.... www.beilari.info.
I stayed there my second night and they had a wonderful community dinner where I met several people who became part of my "camino family".
My plan for 2018 is to take the bus from Pampoloma and spend my first night at Beilari in SJPDP. Enjoy and travel safe...buen camino Martha

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Danielle,

I'm right there with you. This will be my first solo journey and I'm feeling incredibly guilty about leaving my husband for so long. He's been supportive, but I know he'll worry about me, and my absence will be hard on him.

We travel together a lot, and he's always the "expedition planner." He enjoys planning. I'm more laid-back and happy to let him take the lead. I'm curious to see if I step up to become a planner on the Camino, or keep with my usual laissez faire attitude. I'm starting on the 15th, so our paths probably won't cross, but I wish you luck.

Danielle, I am writing this just before my husband (and our 2 dogs) take me to Dublin airport to fly to Madrid to start the Salvador and Primitivo. I started in 2012 and remember sitting at a café in SJdPP alone and wondering what I was doing there! But having agreed with my husband that at the age of 60 I wanted to do something to celebrate, he agreed and I went and came back with the Camino "bug". So today I will start the journey of my 6th Camino trip without my husband.
I remember being asked by, mainly woman, on my first couple of walks when they realised I was walking alone " didn't your husband want to come with you?" to wish I always replied with a smile "I didn't ask him!" Then I would explain his idea of real fun and excitement is riding his motor bike through France, so we have our separate trips and appreciate the other more for being able to do something that doesn't involve the oft said phrase while we both travel together, " are you okay, are you sure???"
You will love it. Last year I meet the most amount of woman of all ages walking alone and they all appeared ( apart from one woman I will never forget meeting who was nursing a broken heart as well as sore feet) to be having the time of their lives simply because it was something they had agreed that was for them alone.
Also I would add that my first trip I thought would be great to have lots of time and silence to reflect and think about life, while walking alone....... that lasted until 20 minutes walking out of SJdPP, I was NEVER alone and it was fabulous!!
Buen Camino

. . . I'm staying at Beilari on 26th. - Loviisa, 19yo, Finland . . .
Miss Loviisa, welcome aboard, your first post! Team Sailor [my wife and me] are "getting underway" from SJPP on the 27th, we are staying at Beilari the 25th and 26th. I have sent you a private message [click on Inbox, top of the screen, right side to find it]. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hi everyone,

I can relate! My husband and I have been married 31 years and I am doing the Camino next May. He is very supportive, but in all these years we have never been apart for more than two weeks at a time. I am very independent, but even so, I am going to miss him a lot!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back