• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Atienza

peregrina2000

Staff member
Kevin’s guide on p. 14 describes walking on the Cañada Real de las Merinas when leaving Atienza and going into Romanillos de Atienza, 9.5 km further on. I can’t tell from Maggie’s blog or the posts of undermanager, BP or Alan whether this is the camino or if it requires a detour. Alan describes the day as a 5 star walk, so I am assuming the Lana markings will not steer me wrong!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don’t remember much about leaving Atienza, but I’m pretty sure we followed the arrows. If it is of any help here is a link to my Wikiloc recording for that stage. I think the next day was the most spectacular stage for me, taking the diversion on the GR86 on leaving Retortillo de Soria.

I'm fairly sure I followed the arrows. There's a Roman fuente on the outskirts of Atienza, and then it's almost entirely dirt tracks to Romanillos de Atienza and on to Miedes de Atienza, where the tiny bar will do you a good lunch with the half dozen friendly locals who clearly eat there every day. And then an absolutely glorious climb up to the Guadalajara-Soria border going on to the highest point on the Lana. Not quite as wonderful as the next day on the cañon leading to Caraceña and its Romanesque marvels, but pretty close.

DSC_0090.JPG

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ooh, every time you guys answer my posts, it just makes me more and more convinced this is the route for me. I had been thinking it would be hard to “go flat” after this year’s mountains, which were just absolutely 5 star, but your blogs and pictures are beauty of a different kind, and I have been drawn to the Lana for years now!

Kevin’s guide on p. 14 describes walking on the Cañada Real de las Merinas when leaving Atienza and going into Romanillos de Atienza, 9.5 km further on. I can’t tell from Maggie’s blog or the posts of undermanager, BP or Alan whether this is the camino or if it requires a detour. Alan describes the day as a 5 star walk, so I am assuming the Lana markings will not steer me wrong!

Short answer: it's not a detour! At least I've never seen any alternatives there. No problems with the arrows.

/BP

And I am off Too!!!!
After having to cancel my walk with Maggie in April - oh my that was such a blow - and reading her blog over and over again and of course everyone else's account - Bad Pilgrim, Kevin, Under Manager and watched Sarah's videos - I have decided that I too am off on this one. I know it will be lonely - all that time with me - hmmm - I hope I still like me after it all - but it is calling me. My one concern was that spooky place but kind folks have directed me to other accommodation!! Leaving CT on the 3rd Sept and hope to start my walk on the 5th - back in Madrid on the 3rd October. I am sure that will be enough time for this little old lady. Thanks everyone for all your input and help.XX

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back