• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving boots at home...

Alberte

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (July, 2017)
Hi guys,

I am leaving in two weeks from now on, and last-minute decision is to leave my new Buffalo boots at home. I think it will be the wrong shoe for me, as I think it will give me one too many blisters in the heat! My skin is very sore and even though it was the perfect fit for me, it just doesn't feel right.

Instead I decided to bring my lovely SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 3, as they are very comfortable and protects my feet.

Is this a good decision? And has anyone walked the camino with the equal Salomon shoes?

(In addition to this - Which socks do you use? I would prefer very thin ones, but will they irritate my feet and give me blisters?)

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope that you guys can help me out as this is my very first camino and I am pretty nervous!

/Alberte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For me that would be a good decision. The only problem I have had with trail running type of shoes ( I use Saucony Peregrines) was that the insoles wore out in about 500 miles. My solution now is to bring an extra set of insoles. On my first Camino I stopped at a pharmacy and bought a generic type of insole which saved my pilgrimage. (I now need insoles with arch support and metatarsal pad) YMMV.

I wore trail runners (La Sportiva) on the Camino del Norte last year - they were fine. Nice and light! I found some light merino wool socks to wear with them.

Since my first camino I have had very few blisters because I use a barrier cream or vaseline.

buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For me that would be a good decision. The only problem I have had with trail running type of shoes ( I use Saucony Peregrines) was that the insoles wore out in about 500 miles. My solution now is to bring an extra set of insoles. On my first Camino I stopped at a pharmacy and bought a generic type of insole which saved my pilgrimage. (I now need insoles with arch support and metatarsal pad) YMMV.

Perfect. Thank you for your answer! I will only be walking 150 miles, so I guess I won't need an extra pair of insoles!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi guys,

I am leaving in two weeks from now on, and last-minute decision is to leave my new Buffalo boots at home. I think it will be the wrong shoe for me, as I think it will give me one too many blisters in the heat! My skin is very sore and even though it was the perfect fit for me, it just doesn't feel right.

Instead I decided to bring my lovely SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 3, as they are very comfortable and protects my feet.

Is this a good decision? And has anyone walked the camino with the equal Salomon shoes?

(In addition to this - Which socks do you use? I would prefer very thin ones, but will they irritate my feet and give me blisters?)

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope that you guys can help me out as this is my very first camino and I am pretty nervous!

/Alberte

1. Since you know how they feel, that will be an excellent decision. Take an extra pair of insoles so that if you shoes get wet, you can swap insoles if the shoes are not completely dry after drying out all night while you sleep.

2. I tend to wear Smartwool lightly padded PhD socks. I keep my shoes tied fairly loose, which allows any slippage/shear/friction to take place between the insole of the shoe and the outside of the sock. This keeps blisters at bay. However, when going downhill, I tighten my laces to keep my forefeet from banging against the toe of the shoes. You might consider getting the shoe one size larger than your street shoe size. This will help keep your toes from getting banged up.

3. I have over 5,000 miles of backpacking with similar shoes (mine are the New Balance Leadville). Less weight on your feet equal less fatigue in your legs over the miles walked.

4. Keep in mind that if you find yourself in difficulty with your shoes, there are sporting and specialty shoe stores in Spain. You can always get something else if needed.

1. Since you know how they feel, that will be an excellent decision. Take an extra pair of insoles so that if you shoes get wet, you can swap insoles if the shoes are not completely dry after drying out all night while you sleep.

2. I tend to wear Smartwool lightly padded PhD socks. I keep my shoes tied fairly loose, which allows any slippage/shear/friction to take place between the insole of the shoe and the outside of the sock. This keeps blisters at bay. However, when going downhill, I tighten my laces to keep my forefeet from banging against the toe of the shoes. You might consider getting the shoe one size larger than your street shoe size. This will help keep your toes from getting banged up.

3. I have over 5,000 miles of backpacking with similar shoes (mine are the New Balance Leadville). Less weight on your feet equal less fatigue in your legs over the miles walked.

4. Keep in mind that if you find yourself in difficulty with your shoes, there are sporting and specialty shoe stores in Spain. You can always get something else if needed.
I second that - my NB's seem to soak up water like Kleenex. Insoles are called "plantillas" in Spanish.

I used 'More Miles' walking socks never came close to getting a blister. When my feet got hot I transferred to my Merrell sandals. My did it feel good to let my feet breathe after all that heat just over a week past:D:D:D Irish boys just ain't able for anything over 20c:p:p

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Heard an unfortunate Irish girl had to have 3 toe nails extracted in Santiago hospital over a week ago.Her feet swelled in the heat and pushed her toes into the front of the boot. Perhaps she should have gone a half size or full size up or had worn the wrong socks propelling her feet forward. Hope she is ok and on the mend.

Heard an unfortunate Irish girl had to have 3 toe nails extracted in Santiago hospital over a week ago.Her feet swelled in the heat and pushed her toes into the front of the boot. Perhaps she should have gone a half size or full size up or had worn the wrong socks propelling her feet forward. Hope she is ok and on the mend.

You are correct. It is advisable to do these things when shopping for trekking or backpacking footwear:

1. Wear the same socks which you will be walking in. If you are going to be using double socks, or liner socks underneath your trekking socks, be sure to wear those combinations when try on footwear.

2. Bring your backpack loaded with the same amount of weight that you will be carrying. (I actually like to add 5 lbs --2.25 kg-- above my expected load). When you are trying on the footwear, put on the
backpack.

3. If you use a third party insole or an orthotic for your other athletic, walking, or backpacking footwear, and you want to use them for your new shoes, be sure to bring them along and, if possible, take the factory insole out and switch with the one you brought.

4. When you are trying to get a feel for the shoes/boots, walk around the store, walk up stairs, take as long as you need.

5. With the shoe laces properly tied to minimize your foot from sliding, try to jam your feet in the shoe so that you can feel if your toes touch the front of the shoe. Toes touching the front of the shoe is a BIG no-no. Forget about what size you normally wear, you are shopping for a trekking shoe in the size that you need!!!!! That can mean a shoe size one or more sizes larger than you normally wear.

6. Pay attention to the width of the shoe.... you do not want a shoe that is snug at the widest part of your foot. This, again, is why it is important to wear your backpack and to have the same socks on when trying out shoes. If you are needing a wide width shoe, it is a sad fact that some of the better trail shoe and running shoe manufacturers don't make wide width shoes. So if the store that you are shopping in doesn't carry what you need and want, go to another store. Period. I have been a member of R.E.I. for 50 years, since the age of 14; When I shop for trail shoes, I cannot shop at REI because they do not carry shoes in a wide width ---- even if a shoe manufacturer that they stock makes shoes in wide widths. ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

7. When you get your new shoes home, do not wear them outside until you are convinced that your purchase is what you want. Some stores --- very, very few --- will let you wear them anywhere during the STORES warranty period, and either refund the purchase or exchange them should you find the shoes unsatisfactory..... even if they are well used and blemished to heck and back. R.E.I. is one such store, which is why I ARRRGGGGHHHHed them above; I want to purchase my shoes there and have the assurance of that great warranty, BUT THEY DON'T CARRY WIDE WIDTHS IN THEIR INVENTORY. Sigh.

Hi guys,

/Alberte

I think it is an EXCELLENT decision.
In my opinion, there's nothing on the Camino that warrants hiking boots, unless you're REALLY used to wearing them already.

I prefer New Balance shoes myself, because of their deep, wide toe box.
But you should wear a shoe you're comfortable in - that is flexible and that gives your feet a little room to expand.
Same with socks.
I usually wear merino wool socks both spring and autumn, but in the heat, wear thin cotton socks and do just fine.

You'll be fine.
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, excellent idea. I use thin socks and Keen water shoes. They are perfect.

And a bit off topic, sorry, but wanting to reply to Dave's comment:
BUT THEY DON'T CARRY WIDE WIDTHS IN THEIR INVENTORY.
I (like you) am a REI oldie, and still get my boots from them, mailorder. AND I have extremely wide feet, one with a varex toe from an old fracture. Not many boots fit me, even the ones that say they have a wide last. But Keens seem to fit perfectly, even regular widths. Have you tried them?

@Alberte, when I looked for Buffalo as a brand all I found was a company that makes teen cowboy and biker style fashion footwear. I couldn't find any hiking or trekking footwear in their collection. If that is the case, it is probably a wise decision not to wear them on the Camino if they are already giving you problems.

However, whether you should revert to a lightweight trail running shoe is another matter. My experience with similar construction footwear is that (a) the outer surface of the sole is relatively thin to keep the weight down, and wears through in the distances you would cover on the CF, and (b) the compression layer starts to lose its rebound in the distances involved.

That said, many people will complete their Camino in shoes, so clearly boots are not the only option.

I (like you) am a REI oldie, and still get my boots from them, mailorder. AND I have extremely wide feet, one with a varex toe from an old fracture. Not many boots fit me, even the ones that say they have a wide last. But Keens seem to fit perfectly, even regular widths. Have you tried them?

Yeah, a few times and models. I don't care for them, they never felt 'right'. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But Keens seem to fit perfectly, even regular widths. Have you tried them?
I tried a pair of the Keen Targhee II Mid for my camino in 2016. They have had good reports on this forum and elsewhere. On the face of it they are a brilliant lightweight hiking boot, the wide toe box is great to walk in etc, etc. But despite good reports elsewhere about their endurance, the soles on my pair had already worn through in patches on the walk from SJPP to Najera, and the compression layer of the sole had completely collapsed by the time I reached Santiago. My wife has a different pair which she had worn on the Milford Track before doing a shorter (~5oo km) Camino in 2016, and they are now showing similar wear patterns on the sole.

I have had similar high wear rates with the proprietary soles on Merrell mid height boots, and had hoped the Keen might provide a different outcome. I suspect for my next pilgrimage walk, I will revert to a more conventional hiking boot with a Vibram sole. The soles won't have the same level of comfort on hard surfaces, but they equally won't wear out along the way.

Last edited:
Shoes or the choice of footwear is definitely the number one personal decision on this forum. Only you can make this decision. For me I require footwear that provides comfort; support; protection and for me this was a pair of Keens boots - boots that are now showing the signs of 760-775 km walking. Best of luck with your choice and with your camino. Cheers

5. With the shoe laces properly tied to minimize your foot from sliding, try to jam your feet in the shoe so that you can feel if your toes touch the front of the shoe. Toes touching the front of the shoe is a BIG no-no. Forget about what size you normally wear, you are shopping for a trekking shoe in the size that you need!!!!! That can mean a shoe size one or more sizes larger than you normally wear.
With a heavy boot it can be dificult to feel your toe in the boot to see if you have room. Similar to what @davebugg wrote above is this advice I got from a REI salesman. Jam your foot as far as it can go to the front of the boot. You should be able to get a finger down between your heel and the back of the boot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We just returned from our first Camino. My husband wore Soloman hiking boots. He bought them in Leon when his Keen boots broke down. He had no issues with them. We walked in April/May so they were exposed to a fair amount of rain. Only one couple we met had no blisters & they claim it was from wearing sock liners. I found them & all my rashes from wool socks & sweat went away. Our boots were 1 - 1.5 sizes larger. This worked out perfect for us.

Hi guys,

/Alberte

Totally the right decision! I struggled with 2 different pairs of hiking boots on my first two Camino's. During training at home they felt fine on my 8 to 10 kilometre training walks, no pressure points, felt great. Once on the Camino however, after a number of 25 to 30 kilometre days in the heat, my feet completely blew up, despite changing socks and taking boots off multiple times per day.
Mid way through year 2, once I reached Sahagun, I found a shoe store, bought a pair of runners and have never worn boots again for distance walking.
I now have a pair of Merrell Moab trail shoes, but also take a pair of runners to give my feet a change. Some days I walk in the Merrells until noon and then the runners for the balance of the day. Blisters are only a memory now.
Make sure your socks match the season. I have always gone in early April and pick a mid weight. Socks with built in liners have worked the best for me. In the summer heat a thinner sock may be better, but I would still recommend socks with built in liners for sure.
My observation in most cases, the people I encounter with the worst foot issues are in almost 100% of the cases wearing hiking boots. I see so many inappropriate heavy mountaineering style hiking boots which are completely wrong for most people and not needed.
Many will jump in and say that hiking boots worked perfectly for them, but they are the exception versus what I have seen first hand.
The attached picture is of me throwing out my boots in Sahagun.Camino - Spain - April - 2015 209.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My observation in most cases, the people I encounter with the worst foot issues are in almost 100% of the cases wearing hiking boots. I see so many inappropriate heavy mountaineering style hiking boots which are completely wrong for most people and not needed.
I always worry that we see what we want to see to confirm our own choices. The really bad cases of blisters that I recall seeing were pilgrims wearing trail shoes or trainers, not boots. Certainly blisters weren't confined to people wearing shoes, but cases such as the woman who had both feet completely taped from heel to toe were shoe wearers.

When I was the 'blister fixer' for a group doing the Camino Salvado here in Australia, it was very similar. As a proportion, more of the people wearing shoes got blisters than those wearing boots, but with just 20 people walking, I wouldn't want to make too much of extrapolating that observation. There may well have been other factors to consider in any case that could have skewed the result in such a small sample size.

By far the most commonly discarded footwear I have observed on my current Camino are boots .
Not just lost inadvertently but thrown away in disgust .
Blisters on ankles seem to be the norm in this latest heatwave .
One size larger is almost too small in my own experience, consider one and a half larger if walking in summer . Unless you are replicating a Camino in training nothing prepares you for the constant 30k plus days of sweaty feet .
Shun anything gortex lined , in hot weather it is the invention of the Devil.

With a heavy boot it can be dificult to feel your toe in the boot to see if you have room. Similar to what @davebugg wrote above is this advice I got from a REI salesman. Jam your foot as far as it can go to the front of the boot. You should be able to get a finger down between your heel and the back of the boot.
Another technique to consider is to remove the insole from the boots, put them on the floor and stand in them with your heels where they would be if you were wearing the shoe or boot. You need to be wearing socks similar to those you intend to use, and follow the other tips already mentioned by others here. You can then quickly see how much space is going to be in front of each of your toes quite easily and quickly. How much room is enough? Up to you, but I like there to be at least a centimetre, but not all that much more.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One size larger is almost too small in my own experience, consider one and a half larger if walking in summer . Unless you are replicating a Camino in training nothing prepares you for the constant 30k plus days of sweaty feet .
Shun anything gortex lined , in hot weather it is the invention of the Devil.
I agree that if you have footwear properly fitted for a walk like the camino, it is likely to be larger by a size or more than one's normal footwear. But rather than use some magic number rule like this, I would recommend that you get your footwear properly fitted at a good outdoors store. It is worth it to prepare yourself by walking as much as you can beforehand, going later in the day, having the socks and any special insoles you are intending to use with you, and taking time in the store to use the fitting slope and pronation test if they have one. Perhaps in the extreme, such as being unable to visit a shop with appropriate fitting equipment, using a rule of thumb like this might be the best way of proceeding, but it is still no guarantee of getting the right sized footwear.

I should also mention that I am golden in the footwear department.... I have great shoes for distance walking and backpacking, both trail runners for spring thru fall, and boots for winter backpacking. The problem with REI and me, with regard to footwear, is that they do not carry the wide widths in the shoes or boots that I have chosen to try or to want as replacements. :)

I think if we were to line up a dozen naked feet from a dozen different people, they would all be shaped differently. Long toes, short toes, skinny toes, fat toes, wide feet, skinny feet, bunions, flat feet, high arches, low insteps, high insteps, etc. That is why what works perfectly for one person, may be awful for another.

I only need to buy my camino shoes 1/2 size larger, not a full size as I have narrow heels and too large a shoe would surely wreak havoc on my heels with blisters with the extra space and width. Also, on my spring Caminos my feet do not seem to swell. I have worn rather inexpensive Asic Venture 5 trailrunners and have had no blisters in 800 kilometers. Even in wet circumstances I am able to walk with entirely wet shoes and socks and no problems. My sock of choice is Wigwam hikers. They are not scratchy wool, but softer with thick bottoms and I attribute them to this success. They hold up well and I am 100% happy with them. I do not use vaseline or sock liners. "Less is more" if it can work. That's just me. Any of you could need a completely different shoe and sock.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I shop for trail shoes, I cannot shop at REI because they do not carry shoes in a wide width ---- even if a shoe manufacturer that they stock makes shoes in wide widths. ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!! . . .
I bought a pair of wide width Lowa Renegades, size 13, at REI in Baileys Crossroads, Virginia, in May 2015. The footwear expert there stated that they carried a significant amount of stock from manufacturers who produce wides.

I have moved away from that area and currently my nearest REI (Brentwood, TN) does not carry much wide stock. However, the REI footwear folks in Brentwood worked with me to order some wide stock and have it shipped to their store and when they received it, I visited the store to try on several pairs. Unfortunately none fit me and I returned all of them to REI at the store at no cost. CT

I too have a wide foot and have found that Keens seem to work for me.
Phil

I think if we were to line up a dozen naked feet from a dozen different people, they would all be shaped differently. Long toes, short toes, skinny toes, fat toes, wide feet, skinny feet, bunions, flat feet, high arches, low insteps, high insteps, etc. That is why what works perfectly for one person, may be awful for another.

I only need to buy my camino shoes 1/2 size larger, not a full size as I have narrow heels and too large a shoe would surely wreak havoc on my heels with blisters with the extra space and width. Also, on my spring Caminos my feet do not seem to swell. I have worn rather inexpensive Asic Venture 5 trailrunners and have had no blisters in 800 kilometers. Even in wet circumstances I am able to walk with entirely wet shoes and socks and no problems. My sock of choice is Wigwam hikers. They are not scratchy wool, but softer with thick bottoms and I attribute them to this success. They hold up well and I am 100% happy with them. I do not use vaseline or sock liners. "Less is more" if it can work. That's just me. Any of you could need a completely different shoe and sock.
Well said. My foot problems came from NOT wearing the boots that I have always worn on long distance hikes. Deciding to try the latest (to me) craze and go for a hiking shoe was a disaster. I have what is called a Morton's foot and that makes me prone to Plantar Fasciitis. Which I never knew I had because I never had blisters or pain issues with my boots.
But after going to my podiatrist upon returning, she explained that I need a boot not a shoe if I'm going to keep those ligaments from fatiguing. Plus I chose to go with cheap super feet orthotics instead of my custom ones. Huge mistake. Everyone that I saw on the Primitivo with knee and foot problems were wearing hiking or running shoes. The people (my husband and the Europeans) who had gone with boots, had no problems. Aside from the odd, non painful blister.
So yeah, it's critical that everyone try out their footwear, maybe visit a podiatrist if they know or suspect that they have foot ailments, and don't just take the advice of people. What works for me doesn't work for you.

Another vote for trail runners. I switched from boots to trail runners while doing the Appalachian Trail and had no foot problems when I did. I´ve used them for other long hikes such as Inca Trail and Kilimanjaro. On the Camino my feet got really hot and swelled to the point that I could not get them into my shoes. Then I switched out to Keen sandals and did the final 500 miles in them. So, like some others I always advocate for trail runners (normally I used La Sportiva, like another poster) or really good sandals. And whatever you choose, you can change. There are gear stores along the way where to can buy something different as well as some really helpful folks. Buen Camino!

We have always worn trail runners and merino wool socks. Over 500 miles we take Sof Sole Thin Fit insoles. I would defiant try the insoles before going.

Hi guys,

/Alberte

A good decision! Last year on the Norte I used trail runners/walkers (New Balance - Leadville V3). With orthotics in the shoes, I wore wool socks and rubbed my feet liberally with vaseline before heading out to do around 25 km per day. No blisters and comfortable walking - even if I head tired feet at the end of the day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi guys,

/Alberte

I bought some Solomon GTX Effect (low cut hiking shoe) 1 month before I left in March. My Solomon boots were well worn over 1 year but gut instinct told me differently. I learned to trust my gut. Had a few blisters but from my hiking sandals, no the shoes.

Hi guys,

/Alberte
I think most important is size, feet swell, and footwear especially boots need to be 1-2 sizes bigger than the correct fit! After that think about your socks.

Hi guys,

/Alberte
Shoes or boots, boots or shoes, there are more answers to this question than you have time to read :) Blisters will also illicit many replies. My tuppence worth is, I put Umguentum de Peregrino Tradicional on my feet every morning. Three caminos and the only time I got blisters was when I lost my ointment. The hospitalera in Cizur Menor recommends Vick and she is something of an expert, others use vaseline. You would not drive your car without lubricating the moving parts so why use your feet without lubricating to reduce friction. And as to footwear, I only wear boots. The tread is designed with a heel stop to prevent slipping on steep downhill. They are also designed to keep out deeper water and mud than shoes. It was quite a sight in the Pyrenees watching other pilgrims in shoes trying to avoid ankle deep snow and mud while I just ploughed on through

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am (have been ) a die hard boot wearer demanding full support for my foot
After reading all the experienced people talk about shoes, I ended wearing Brooks with no regrets.
obviously a winter trek would require different foot wear

My experience was that trail runners have different depth of tread- not all equal- and shallow tread on some down slopes with gravel was just too dangerous (fortunately worked this out prior to going)

Also, though our packs are light I did end up needing the reinforcement of orthotic insoles to keep my foot pain free

The other caveate is that, for some of us, a wide width is not adequate for our feet, even if it feels great in the store or even the first day wearing.
I wasted much time and money trying to make wide widths work from me. And until I was sized properly as a 2E and bought appropriate shoes, I never had a truly good fit

Totally the right decision! I struggled with 2 different pairs of hiking boots on my first two Camino's. During training at home they felt fine on my 8 to 10 kilometre training walks, "

It's worth the time (all morning at least) to do at least a few 15k or more walks before leaving. That 10-mile walk on the local Hike n Bike was when I figured out that the first-purchased pair of hiking boots was a no-go...you can get pretty close to a black toe even at home...mail-ordered in the next half size up and had it only 2 weeks before leaving (2014 and yes these larger ones were also a bit too small). The feet don't really get their daily swell on until about, um, 3/2*8 miles is like 12km right? And wear the pack with the weight for some of those long training walks! That way you can adjust the strapping and such as needed.
(edited to fix formatting)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.