• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving for Camino Frances on August 30

davidorr

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving SJPP on 31st August 2013
Hola everyone,

Ive been stalking this forum for months but want to make my own post as my flights are confirmed and i leave for SJPDP on August 30th! I have a couple of questions, i suppose im just seeking last minute advice from all the experts.

For a little background, Im 24, reasonably fit, have a decent amount of trekking experience but nothing like the long roads of the camino. Ill be travelling alone and this is my first camino.

I have never packed anything sooner than the day before i go anywhere but i leave in 3 weeks and i packed last night! Any recommendations to the gear i have or just encouragement that it looks fine and i havent forgotten anything would be appreciated!

Berghaus 30+6 litre backpack
Merrell boots (very well broken in, i have worn these to climb Mt Roraima in Venezuela and countless hours at home in Bonnie Scotland with no blister issues.
1 x Trekking trousers
1 x walking shorts
1x swim shorts. (wasnt sure about these but i tend to wear swimshorts ALOT at home. They are extremely light, dry instantly and are very comfy. I cant actually see myself walking in them, the downside is no pockets.)
2 x technical t-shirts
1 x fleece
1 x waterproof jacket
3 x socks
2 x lightweight boxers
1 x flip flops

silk liner
very compact fleece blanket
2 x 600ml water bottles
1x lush shampoo bar
toothbrush and toothpaste
allergy medicine/compeed
microtowel
Kindle fire hd ( for reading and potentially skyping home)
Mobile phone (mostly for getting to and from i should think.)
Brierley guidebook
Charger (works for kindle and mobile phone)
Wallet/passport/insurance/credencial.

I think thats everything i have. I know there are alot of posts like this but i never tire of reading new ones and scrutinizing the little details so dont hold back!

The only other apprehension i have is whether ive left myself enough time to get to Santiago. I have 29-30 days maximum before i need to be back at work. I see alot of people saying they take 33 days. This is not an option for me. I really enjoy walking, i have done lots of 20 - 25 mile training days at home but i do realise that i dont know how my body will react to 30 straight days of this. My other fear is that ill be walking at just a slightly higher pace than most, making it less likely to spend time with people for more than a day or so. Is 33 days the average? Meaning there are plenty of people doing it in 26 - 30 days?

Ok folks sorry if i rambled on, any thoughts are appreciated and will be taken on board. Also let me know if anyone is going at the same time as me. Maybe ill see you on the trail! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't know average, 30 days in my opinion perfect, 30 days at 30km, throw in a few 35 km and have a rest day, I like to take half day in Pamplona and Leon. Half day means only walk 10 to 15 km, done it in 28 days , no rest day and on wrong side of 60 anos (yrs) Buen camino

Thanks for the reply! Very reassuring comment. 28 days would be my ideal i think.

Im not going to let my schedule define my trip though. If something comes up and im not going to make it to Santiago ill have to split my trip up and finish next year. Hopefully this wont happen but at the end of the day im going to enjoy myself and to "go with the flow" of the camino.

Any thoughts on my gear list? I dont have a knife as im hoping to take my bag onto the plane. I got my trousers last week and got the man in the shop to throw in a free spork, if they want to confiscate it at airport security ill get over it :)

Never used walking poles before either. I like the idea of a big pious stick as i walk along but ill either get one in SJPDP or see if i find one along the way. Im not convinced it wont just be a nuisance so ill see how i feel when i get there. Other than that i think it may be time to learn by doing! I wish i could leave now!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like the idea of a big pious stick as i walk along but ill either get one in SJPDP or see if i find one along the way

you will love the long stick, just 6-8 inches above your head, that is how tall a staff you want.

with your age, you should have no problem. My only advice is, do not take any long stints on the first week, once you come to Logroño, you will be used to walking on a daily basis and ONLY THEN it would be advisable to take longer stages.

Buen camino, amigo!

You don't need a knife.

You don't need walking poles.

Check your bags ... that way you don't have to deal with it while waiting for flights and finding room for it in the cabin.

I'd allow 35 days from SJPdP. If you have less time then I would recommend starting further along the road ... Pamplona or Logrono for example. Its not an endurance course after all. If you have days left over then go on to Finisterre.

I'd bring a cup, bowl, and spoon. You can't count on finding them in the albergues.

Needle and thread ... for blisters.

You don't need walking poles.
That is almost an exact quote of my walking partner. Within seconds he caught his foot on a root and did a full face plant into the dirt with full pack. I spent the rest of the day removing sand and grit from his wounds a bit at a time.

There is science behind the benefits of using of trekking poles. There is only opinion against their use! Take them if you will use them. :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I packed a knife, but on arrival could not find it, and never really missed it. I borrowed from other pilgrims on a couple of occasions but otherwise made do with my spork.

I took poles and was very glad I did, but then I am more than twice your age. I loaned them to my daughter a few times when she was struggling. I don't think they are so important for young and fit pilgrims. Our friend with whom we walked the first week took great pleasure in finding a suitable branch and cutting it to size (with his very fancy knife) for a staff, but I think it was more a symbol than a support.

My daughter and I reached Santiago from SJPP in 29 days, with no rest days, walking an average of 27 km per day, longest day 37 km, shortest day 20 km. Our other friend from the first week of walking went on ahead and we met him on our arrival in Santiago when he had already walked to Finisterre and Muxia, and had returned by bus to Santiago. I am sure you will not have a problem with your deadline.

Of the four who walked together the first week in April 2013, one is already on his second camino, and two of us are planning another camino for 2014. Be prepared for an addiction. It will be an experience of a lifetime.

Buen camino, Maggie
Daily report from Camino Frances Apr/May 2013 at http://magwood.wordpress.com

I hike on sections of the Pacific Crest Trail and nearly all the through hikers I meet are using trekking poles - and they tell me the same story: "the poles look stupid, but they would never do a long hike without them. The bonuses of are worth the dork factor." :) With that said, I'm fairly certain there's a big difference between hiking the PCT and the Camino Frances - but, from what I hear, neither one of them are a walk in the park. Enjoy your Camino.

You won't look like a dork using trekking poles on the Camino - they have become very popular.

Do learn how to use them to their best benefit, though. They can do great things for you, if used correctly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and I walked SJPdP to Santiago this last April/May. We considered our trekking poles as our third most important items, after shoes and packs. Our experience was that the majority of pilgrims used them.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just arrived in Leon.. So this is from the Camino.. I bought poles in SJPP and was so glad for them.. But I am 47 and my ankles, shins and knees have thanked me each day!! Your pack sounds perfect.. You are going to Spain.. Anything you feel you must have can be bought here! Travel as light as you can, and ease your way in the first week.. Most people I have walked with suffered a little in that first week, but we are all walking along nicely now.. There have been a couple of alburgues with pools.. And the weather has been warm and lovely. Have a wonderful Camino..it is just amazing!

Thanks for all the informative and encouraging replies everyone!

Amancio, im definitely going to take your advice onboard. Will strive to go no further than the Brierley stages in the first week, even if i am feeling really good.
Suzenripley, you also commented on an assumption of mine. Travelling bare essentials and if i realise i need anything ill just buy it there!
Planning can only get me so far i think its time to jump in and hope it all goes well!

Thanks, and buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola everyone,

Ive been stalking this forum for months but want to make my own post as my flights are confirmed and i leave for SJPDP on August 30th! I have a couple of questions, i suppose im just seeking last minute advice from all the experts.

For a little background, Im 24, reasonably fit, have a decent amount of trekking experience but nothing like the long roads of the camino. Ill be travelling alone and this is my first camino.

I have never packed anything sooner than the day before i go anywhere but i leave in 3 weeks and i packed last night! Any recommendations to the gear i have or just encouragement that it looks fine and i havent forgotten anything would be appreciated!

Merrell boots (very well broken in, i have worn these to climb Mt Roraima in Venezuela and countless hours at home in Bonnie Scotland with no blister issues.
1 x Trekking trousers
1 x walking shorts
1x swim shorts. (wasnt sure about these but i tend to wear swimshorts ALOT at home. They are extremely light, dry instantly and are very comfy. I cant actually see myself walking in them, the downside is no pockets.)
2 x technical t-shirts
1 x fleece
1 x waterproof jacket
3 x socks
2 x lightweight boxers
1 x flip flops

silk liner
2 x 600ml water bottles
1x lush shampoo bar
allergy medicine/compeed
microtowel
Brierley guidebook

I think thats everything i have. I know there are alot of posts like this but i never tire of reading new ones and scrutinizing the little details so dont hold back!

The only other apprehension i have is whether ive left myself enough time to get to Santiago. I have 29-30 days maximum before i need to be back at work. I see alot of people saying they take 33 days. This is not an option for me. I really enjoy walking, i have done lots of 20 - 25 mile training days at home but i do realise that i dont know how my body will react to 30 straight days of this. My other fear is that ill be walking at just a slightly higher pace than most, making it less likely to spend time with people for more than a day or so. Is 33 days the average? Meaning there are plenty of people doing it in 26 - 30 days?

Ok folks sorry if i rambled on, any thoughts are appreciated and will be taken on board. Also let me know if anyone is going at the same time as me. Maybe ill see you on the trail! Buen Camino!
h

Hola everyone,

1 x Trekking trousers
1 x walking shorts
2 x technical t-shirts
1 x fleece
1 x waterproof jacket
3 x socks
2 x lightweight boxers
1 x flip flops

silk liner
2 x 600ml water bottles
1x lush shampoo bar
allergy medicine/compeed
microtowel
Brierley guidebook

Lots of good info from others....ME--I just finished, your list is great. I am 53 in very good shape and walked it in 25 days...you will find people like me and if you want...you will fall in with them..walk your pace, listen to your body... I suggest DO NOT CHECK YOUR BAG ON THE AIRLINE, bring an ipod with some podcast, bring PRE CUT MOLESKIN PATCHES--Blisters, Bring 2 bank cards and call your bank and let them know you are going to Spain...have fun

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back