• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving for my first Camino Francés this Monday, here's the stuff I bring

Druuf

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
I am pretty excited, this will be the first major trip completely on my own (24 male).
So I wanted to share the things I bring: http://i.imgur.com/XXoOjRz.jpg
  1. Backpack (50l) - Water (1,5l) - Cap
  2. Poncho - Sleeping bag
  3. 2 TShirts, 1 long sleeve shirt (wear one)
  4. 3x Underwear (wear one), 3 pair of socks (wear one)
  5. Boots, Sandals
  6. Long pants (2 in 1)
  7. 2 Towels (big and small), Fleece jacket
  8. Sun lotion, Lipstick, 2x Salve, Safety Pins, Painkiller, Band-Aids (for blisters), Ear plugs, Nail care set, Knife, Lighter
  9. Notepaper (with tickets etc.), Pens, Guidebook, Book, little Dictionary (spanish)
  10. Zip Bags, Tissues, Batteries, Flashlight, Charger (mobile phone)
  11. Washcloth, Comb, Toothpaste, Soap, Toothbrush, Pocketknife (with spoon and fork), small roll of Ducttape
  12. Wallet, Mobilephone, Camera (not in picture obv)
Including some small things to eat it will weight close to 10 kilos, a little bit to much I think. Probably going to cut some of the stuff, mainly the second towel, depends on how tough it is to carry.

As I'm writing this, I am packing it all together and head outside for a little training hike.
Appreciate all comments, greets

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Druuf,

Your list looks good! To save weight many pilgrims carry a single small sports towel which dries quickly. I carry just a simple cotton dish towel (!) to use after showering. It quickly dries and weighs almost nil. Imodium might be a useful addition to you medical kit. Of course you can buy it in Spain but if you need it you need it fast. Best be prepared!

Good luck with your packing and Buen camino!

MM

Last edited:
Your flashlight looks really big and heavy. Can you find a smaller one?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree, leave the flashlight and the 2nd towel, perhaps also the Opinel, but do bring a second pair of pants in case what you have washed does not dry over night, which in the fall may happen, especially on rainy nights. Also, bring less sunblock, you only need enough to cover exposed bits on super sunny days/hours. BTW, yes to Herman Hess!

I am pretty excited, this will be the first major trip completely on my own (24 male).
So I wanted to share the things I bring: http://i.imgur.com/XXoOjRz.jpg
  1. Backpack (50l) - Water (1,5l) - Cap
  2. Poncho - Sleeping bag
  3. 2 TShirts, 1 long sleeve shirt (wear one)
  4. 3x Underwear (wear one), 3 pair of socks (wear one)
  5. Boots, Sandals
  6. Long pants (2 in 1)
  7. 2 Towels (big and small), Fleece jacket
  8. Sun lotion, Lipstick, 2x Salve, Safety Pins, Painkiller, Band-Aids (for blisters), Ear plugs, Nail care set, Knife, Lighter
  9. Notepaper (with tickets etc.), Pens, Guidebook, Book, little Dictionary (spanish)
  10. Zip Bags, Tissues, Batteries, Flashlight, Charger (mobile phone)
  11. Washcloth, Comb, Toothpaste, Soap, Toothbrush, Pocketknife (with spoon and fork), small roll of Ducttape
  12. Wallet, Mobilephone, Camera (not in picture obv)
Including some small things to eat it will weight close to 10 kilos, a little bit to much I think. Probably going to cut some of the stuff, mainly the second towel, depends on how tough it is to carry.

As I'm writing this, I am packing it all together and head outside for a little training hike.
Appreciate all comments, greets

I am currently in Pamplona-- if you want to start hiking early in the morning to beat the heat (before 7 am) you will need a head lamp.

Your flashlight looks really big and heavy. Can you find a smaller one?
Yeah, you guys are right on this one, but I already bought so much stuff that I can't force myself to replace things I actually own (see the big sleeping bag).

I agree, leave the flashlight and the 2nd towel, perhaps also the Opinel, but do bring a second pair of pants in case what you have washed does not dry over night, which in the fall may happen, especially on rainy nights. Also, bring less sunblock, you only need enough to cover exposed bits on super sunny days/hours. BTW, yes to Herman Hess!
There is actually a second pair of pants in the picture, right under the socks: it's a pair of short jogging pants. But you are right about the sunblock, going to find a smaller one.
And yea, Hesse got .. something. I read DEMIAN a while back in the train and it is really time for more

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen camino Druuf! Your list looks just fine to me except maybe for the 2 towels (one is enough). If you feel fine carrying 10 kgs then you're all set :)
Have a wonderful time.

Thank you all.
Yea, I will leave the small towel at home, since the bigger one is even drying faster.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
While you still can, get a smaller, lighter sleeping bag. It's 500 miles to Santiago... Long way to carry that big and probably heavy bag. Also they sell batteries in Spain... And pens. you seem to have 4. Your list also shows 2 knives.
Every ounce counts.
Buen Camino

True, I will get rid of some of the smaller stuff.
And yes, I already surrendered and bought a new sleeping bag, couldn't fit this monster anywhere comfortably on the pack. Cost a few Euros more but cut the weight of it in half, which will be more than worth it.
Thanks for the Tips

I did not see a corkscrew in the list. Nothing worse than having a bottle of wine and being unable to open it, and not all albergues will have one.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Corkscrew! NOW you're talking! Probably on the 'pocketknife'? Maybe not. Like Santa Claus: check it twice. Buen Camino

Surely your mobile phone takes photos? Skip the camera. My phone can also be :
Flashlight, book, bible, compass, English-Spanish dictionary,
Map, guidebook, diary/journal, watch/alarm clock,
and also works really well as a communication device!!! Bit like a telephone ...(remember them)
Or, you could, as Brierly suggests, leave the phone at home and immerse yourself in pilgrimage. Has anyone done that recently, I wonder?
Go enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.