• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving for Porto via Madrid on May 1

MarthaD

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues May 2019
I am so happy to be on the Forum, as that means I am soon to be on my first Camino. I plan to walk the Camino Portuguese beginning a couple days after I get to Porto on May 2 (via Madrid, coming from LAX on 5/1!) I have some questions and am seeking any/all advice for this most amazing journey.

For starters, I just retired from teaching at the University, 67 years old, and I have started some training (6 miles a day so far) and plan to get up to 12 or 15 miles in a few weeks. I plan to walk the Coastal route and then cross over at Caminha to Valencia or Tui. First question ....that looks like a longer distance (for me) and would like any advise or heads up on walking that cross over, as my Wise Pilgrim Guide book talks about it briefly but doesn't show any service son the cross over route. What will I find?

I hope to stay on more of a walking route that much climbing as I am a good walker but don't like to climb. The route from Valencia/Tui to Santiago ....looks to be more my type of walk . Any advise on places to stop/stay?

Backing up....any recommendations of where to stay in Porto? I think I will take a couple days to explore and get my bearings , arriving on May 2, and then beginning my Camino on May 4, from Matasinhos. The Guide says there is public transportation out to Matasinhos. How does this sound?

I plan to spend a couple days in Santiago before going back to Madrid and flying home on May 19. How does this sound in terms of time? Also , any advise as to going from Madrid to Porto? I have not booked a flight but seem to have options to fly and that looks to be good.

I love this Forum...my husband shared it with me as he got ready to go on his Camino last October (Camino Primitivo) and I feel so official now that I have signed up! I am most grateful to be a peregrina!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Martha! Welcome to the forum!
I walked the Portuguese Central route in 2017 and loved, hopefully I can help with some questions.

Wise Pilgrim Guide book talks about it briefly but doesn't show any service son the cross over route. What will I find?

You will pass by a fair amount of small cities, so you should not have issues with services such as bars, etc. I have not walked that part, so would not be able to respond properly. There is also the option of taking the train to Valenca at Caminha - it is a 40 minute ride.

Any advise on places to stop/stay?

There are no climbs at any part of the Portuguese Camino, and going by the coast you will skip the main uphill (Alto da portela), so you will be fine. Look for any place in the Old City when you are in Pontevedra :)
In Caldas de Reis, there is a tavern downstairs of the main road that is quite old and serves amazing sardines and peppers.

any recommendations of where to stay in Porto?
Hotel Moov Centro was excellent, Ibis level but cheaper and in the old city. It was at the top of a hill though, so you may look for something closer to the Clerigos Tower if going uphill is not your thing. Totally worth it to explore the city for a few days, I highly recommend doing a Port wine tasting at one of the wineries across the bridge (in Gaia). Also, try the Francesinha, a local meat sandwich. It is quite something. As well as the amazing cod fish (bacalhau).

Santiago is also worth exploring after you finish. just wander around the city and let the experience sink in - it will be great, independently of what you do over there.

I flew from Barcelona to Porto, and there are indeed many options to fly Madrid Porto for very cheap prices. It is quite easy.

Have a great time, bom caminho!

Caminha to Valença do Minho is about 30 kms. Beautiful path along the river Minho You can walk it in 2 parts. One day to Vila Nova de Cerveira. There is an excellent hostal. Rooms for 2 with single beds and rooms for 4 with bunks easy to find on the waymarked path Restaurants around.
Second day to Valença where is an albergue or several hotels. Or walk 3 kms further to Tui where are all facilities but busier because all Spaniards start there. Advice stay overnight in Valença !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am so happy to be on the Forum, as that means I am soon to be on my first Camino. I plan to walk the Camino Portuguese beginning a couple days after I get to Porto on May 2 (via Madrid, coming from LAX on 5/1!) I have some questions and am seeking any/all advice for this most amazing journey.

For starters, I just retired from teaching at the University, 67 years old, and I have started some training (6 miles a day so far) and plan to get up to 12 or 15 miles in a few weeks. I plan to walk the Coastal route and then cross over at Caminha to Valencia or Tui. First question ....that looks like a longer distance (for me) and would like any advise or heads up on walking that cross over, as my Wise Pilgrim Guide book talks about it briefly but doesn't show any service son the cross over route. What will I find?

I hope to stay on more of a walking route that much climbing as I am a good walker but don't like to climb. The route from Valencia/Tui to Santiago ....looks to be more my type of walk . Any advise on places to stop/stay?

Backing up....any recommendations of where to stay in Porto? I think I will take a couple days to explore and get my bearings , arriving on May 2, and then beginning my Camino on May 4, from Matasinhos. The Guide says there is public transportation out to Matasinhos. How does this sound?

I plan to spend a couple days in Santiago before going back to Madrid and flying home on May 19. How does this sound in terms of time? Also , any advise as to going from Madrid to Porto? I have not booked a flight but seem to have options to fly and that looks to be good.

I love this Forum...my husband shared it with me as he got ready to go on his Camino last October (Camino Primitivo) and I feel so official now that I have signed up! I am most grateful to be a peregrina!
There is public transport to Matosinhos ! Take the metro e.g. Stop São Bento or Trindade to Matosinhos stop Mercado . From there you can start your walk.
Better alternative is to walk from the Sé cathedral along the river Doura and the Atlantic ocean to Matosinhos Both allways at your left. Beautifull walk. 10 kms. Find a hotel in Matosinhos . Take a day to sightsee Porto from Matosinhos. Easy acces by he same mentioned metro line . Go out the metro at Trindade and walk down to the riverbank. Enjoy !

You will meet some steep hills around Redondela and on the way to Pontevredra .
The worst fortunately is downwards but even than you have to take care

I walked the Portuguese Central route in 2017 and loved, hopefully I can help with some questions.

You will pass by a fair amount of small cities, so you should not have issues with services such as bars, etc. I have not walked that part, so would not be able to respond properly. There is also the option of taking the train to Valenca at Caminha - it is a 40 minute ride.

There are no climbs at any part of the Portuguese Camino, and going by the coast you will skip the main uphill (Alto da portela), so you will be fine. Look for any place in the Old City when you are in Pontevedra :)
In Caldas de Reis, there is a tavern downstairs of the main road that is quite old and serves amazing sardines and peppers.

Hotel Moov Centro was excellent, Ibis level but cheaper and in the old city. It was at the top of a hill though, so you may look for something closer to the Clerigos Tower if going uphill is not your thing. Totally worth it to explore the city for a few days, I highly recommend doing a Port wine tasting at one of the wineries across the bridge (in Gaia). Also, try the Francesinha, a local meat sandwich. It is quite something. As well as the amazing cod fish (bacalhau).

Santiago is also worth exploring after you finish. just wander around the city and let the experience sink in - it will be great, independently of what you do over there.

I flew from Barcelona to Porto, and there are indeed many options to fly Madrid Porto for very cheap prices. It is quite easy.

The Francesinha dish is a cholesterol bomb. Very unhealthy and on Portuguese food sites there is more and more opposition against this dish. If ..ask for half a portion. Even a half part is too much 😝😝😝

There is public transport to Matosinhos ! Take the metro e.g. Stop São Bento or Trindade to Matosinhos stop Mercado . From there you can start your walk.
Better alternative is to walk from the Sé cathedral along the river Doura and the Atlantic ocean to Matosinhos Both allways at your left. Beautifull walk. 10 kms. Find a hotel in Matosinhos . Take a day to sightsee Porto from Matosinhos. Easy acces by he same mentioned metro line . Go out the metro at Trindade and walk down to the riverbank. Enjoy !

You will meet some steep hills around Redondela and on the way to Pontevredra .
The worst fortunately is downwards but even than you have to take care
This is such good input....thanks so much, Albertinho. I love to work with experienced pilgrims advice and then look at the maps, etc....as well as knowing the Camino will provid!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hey, Anamya....thanks so much for your insights and recommendations ! I may get back with other questions as I get closer!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back