• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving for the Camino

• Thread starter Former member 12499
  • Start date
F

Former member 12499

Well folks the time has finally come! I cannot believe it after all of this time.

Having read a lot of advice on here from experienced and inexperienced / worried/ stressed/ anxious new pilgrims and shared fears along with them, it is now my time to 'suck it and see'.

I have read John Brierley's guide book, along with Hape Kerkeling and Sylvia Nilson's books giving much valued advice about how to walk YOUR Camino.

Everything has been digitally weighed and items discarded to get my pack weight down to something comfortable and manageable. A spare pair of boots has been bought and broken in for the Camino (Merrels) but I am not convinced that they are more suitable or better than my German Lowa boots that I have had for over ten years and which I trust completely.

Since last September I have increased my fitness and stamina; bought better equipment, waterproof, breathable, lightweight etc I have walked longer distances with a rucksack and the weight getting heavier as I have got used to it.

Air plane tickets have been bought; departure and return. Same with coach tickets. Passport checked, medical insurance purchased. Ryanair's terms and conditions read and re-read also their check in procedure. Their boarding pass has also been printed. Foreign currency has been bought.

Apart from a few self doubts and plagued with cracked heels, I am ready to go. The rucksack sits there with passport and Tilley hat plus a few snacks for my journey. Neighbours have been informed that i'm off and a key has been left with family. Email addresses and telephone numbers have been checked. Even my limited Spanish has been brushed up again.

I have just one PROBLEM. I cannot find my front door key so that I can get out of the house and start my Camino!

Happy bag rustling.
Charlie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Charlie,
Sounds like you've got it all covered, except for the key. Still there's always the window, even if you need a rope.
Hope you have a great walk.
Buen Camino
Col

Cracked heels. Try sudocrem. It is wonderful stuff. Available from most pharmacies etc as it is sold as nappy cream. I took a little in a mini pot 'just in case' as I too can suffer from cracked heels at times.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Colin and Tia,

Thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated. I would just like to say that i am definately off on my Camino within the next hour. Everything is packed, weighed and counted. Still above the limit i wanted.

Now it is just a strange feeling of the unknown and 'not quite sure if i'm doing the right thing'.

I would really like to say that this has been a fabulous forum with some terrific people who have been kind enough with their advice, jokes and sense of humour.

I do hope that i meet people like yourselves whilst i am on my journey and i hope that i do not let you down and that i will eventually get to Santiago (God willing).
With best regards to you all
Charlie

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back