• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving from Málaga info

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hi, I'm arriving in Málaga tomorrow and walking from there on Tuesday morning. Is there anywhere which has a breakdown of the sections and Albergues after Malaga. I'm thinking more about me being a bit out of shape and if I can do some shorter 10-15 km days for the first couple of days that would be great. Also, what is the next biggish town after Málaga I have to catch a bus back there to meet some friends on Thursday or Friday, just for an over-nighter - to catch up with them, and then bus back, to resume the walk. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
These links were useful for me when I walked from Malaga to Merida a few weeks ago. I didn't carry a paper guide but these gave me all the information I needed. Sorry but I didn't check out bus services - strictly a one-way trip for me :)

http://www.caminomozarabedesantiago.es/documentos/guia-eng.pdf
https://caminosantiagoandalucia.org...rgues-alojamientos-camino-mozarabe-de-malaga/
http://caminomozarabe.es/wp-content...REGRINOS-CORDOBA-MERIDA-a-12-octubre-2018.pdf

Thanks Bradypus, that's really helpful, cheers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I guess I'm a poop, but I was bored as a stump with the Malaga route.
Miles and miles and miles and MILES of olive trees... Zzzzzzzzzzz!
Oh, and MUD! lol!
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, and MUD! lol!
Buen Camino!

Plenty of olives for me too but very little mud. Must have been lucky there! I enjoyed the route though I must confess it did come as a relief to find a drastic change of scenery after Cordoba. You can have too much of a good thing....

Oh, and MUD! lol!
Buen Camino!
That't not very encouraging ;). What month did you do it please?

Anyone else's thoughts on the route from Málaga? Alternatively I could head to Guadix where I walked to in September, and keep walking from there. Anyone done both?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are a lot of olive groves on the Malaga route. But in fairness there are also some glorious stages. Climbing out of Malaga through the scrub hills to Almogia. The stunning moon-like limestone escarpment between Villanueva and Antequera. The hills near Baena. And the Neolithic burial chambers in Antequera itself are astonishing - something I had no idea even existed. At least the olive groves are not the meseta on the Camino Frances (which I personally love!).

I walked from Málaga in 2015. The olive groves did seem a bit interminable and I did encounter severe mud on one stage in particular. I live close to Málaga and there has been heavy rain all day today and a bit more forecast for tomorrow morning, before it brightens as the week progresses. So you may well encounter some mud, but I expect it will dry out very quckly.

I enjoyed this route. You are welcome to take a look at my blog - there are lots of photos and info about accommodation.

Thanks both of you, it sounds wonderful ... and Bradypus, I'm a Meseta lover too, it's partly why I love walking in the South of Spain, the wide open landscapes and colours are wonderful. I was looking at your blog earlier Magwood, it is great, and I have marked it out to read more of.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks both of you, it sounds wonderful ... and Bradypus, I'm a Meseta lover too, it's partly why I love walking in the South of Spain, the wide open landscapes and colours are wonderful. I was looking at your blog earlier Magwood, it is great, and I have marked it out to read more of.

lol! Listen to them and not me!
I just didn't enjoy that route as much as others.

Anyone else's thoughts on the route from Málaga? Alternatively I could head to Guadix where I walked to in September, and keep walking from there. Anyone done both?

I haven't done the route from Malaga/ But as someone who has just come back from the Almeria camino I must say the scenery only gets better and better after Guadix. The badlands of Purullena that you hit a couple of hours out of Guadix are spectacular.

I loved this route! it tried to kill me! mainly because my Spanish is poor, my navigation at times is hopeless and it brought out strange meanderings of thought. I watched the flight of hawks and asked hares for directions but never found a horny toad! I was alone for days at a time but loved the scenery and the solitude and seemed to get rescued when necessary :) :) My guardian angel keeps asking for a job change but I think she is stuck with me at least until I too become a Guardian. Man, the livin gets hard and I have to keep taking the exams! :)

ya gotta laff tho EH? and keep on truckin.

Yours aye

The malingerer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We were in Malaga last week and out of curiosity I wanted to see the starting point of the Camino de Mozarabe - which is at the Iglesia de Santiago Apostol in old town Malaga. But there are no camino shells or arrows showing which direction to walk from the church out of Malaga, which I was surprised by. I asked at the local tourist information kiosk about 50 feet away from the church and was told that it is happening - there will be markers in place by the end of the year.

I took a photo of the front of the church ...
z6XkogkxRyaR8zdfs%FlDw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We were in Malaga last week and out of curiosity I wanted to see the starting point of the Camino de Mozarabe - which is at the Iglesia de Santiago Apostol in old town Malaga. But there are no camino shells or arrows showing the way out of Malaga, which I was surprised by. I asked at the local tourist information kiosk about 50 feet away from the church and was told that it is happening - there will be markers in place by the end of the year.
That's good news, and will really help. Málaga - what a wonderful city, it's one of my favourites. Sadly, I didn't get too far on my walk - food poisoning at Antequera put a stop to things, but the walk until then was fantastic, I can't wait to continue it.

lol! Listen to them and not me!
I just didn't enjoy that route as much as others.
Give me Olive trees anyway compared to the 3 etapas after Santander on Del Norte last year. Asphalt for 70km and blisters galore. Every footstep in pain. What is it about the Camino. All that discomfort and we still look forward to the next days adventure.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi folks does anyone know the status of the albergue in Dona Mancia on the Malaga/Cordoba route? I have just returned fron completing the route when I arrived in Dona Mancia I expected there would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back