Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving from Oviedo in just under 2 weeks....

isabelle304

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP-Santiago) (Oct-Nov 08)
Santiago to Finisterre (Nov 08)
Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres (Sevilla-Santiago via Ourense) (Oct-Nov 09)
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) (Sep-Oct 14)
..... and, as for previous Caminos (the Frances and the VdlP), I have done no training whatsoever! I am very much a spur-of-the-moment person and not one to prepare for months and months for these things.

Posting here today not because I have a specific question at this point (still busy reading all the threads and all the relevant websites) but because I've just booked my flight from London to Oviedo/Asturias for 24 September and this has kinda made it "official" in my head.

Thanks to Laurie (Peregrina2000) for her recent guidance in helping me choose my Way ;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Isabelle304,
Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2014!
With Laurie in your corner, you couldn't ask for a better mentor and friend.
Please keep the Forum up on all you encounter as you walk the Way to Santiago,
Buen Camino,
Arn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
..... and, as for previous Caminos (the Frances and the VdlP), I have done no training whatsoever! I am very much a spur-of-the-moment person and not one to prepare for months and months for these things.

Posting here today not because I have a specific question at this point (still busy reading all the threads and all the relevant websites) but because I've just booked my flight from London to Oviedo/Asturias for 24 September and this has kinda made it "official" in my head.

Thanks to Laurie (Peregrina2000) for her recent guidance in helping me choose my Way ;-)

Wow, that WAS a quick decision, let's call it decisive, not impulsive or spur of the moment! Tia Valeria has a lot of great advice about the Primitivo, Isabelle, so once you have poured through all her (and many others') helpful comments, just fire away with any questions that are left.

The facebook page of the Albergue Bodenaya is a good place to go for news on the weather -- Alejandro photos the pilgrims leaving every morning and you can tell by the way they're dressed what the weather is like (this was a tip from ebrant, I believe, and it's a good one!). https://www.facebook.com/albergue.bodenaya?ref=ts&fref=ts

Two weeks, wow. The first time I walked the Primitivo it was early October. I hope you get the weather I got -- chilly in morning, warming up in the afternoon, snow off in the mountains but never falling on me. Just about perfect walking weather. Buen camino, Laurie

Wow, that WAS a quick decision, let's call it decisive, not impulsive or spur of the moment! Tia Valeria has a lot of great advice about the Primitivo, Isabelle, so once you have poured through all her (and many others') helpful comments, just fire away with any questions that are left.

Am presently spending every spare minute available reading every single thread on the forum and furiously copying and pasting anything I want to remember into a separate document I'll use as reference. Am also checking out blogs (yours, Tia's, etc). Finally am also expecting in the post one of the little CSJ guides (not sure how recent it is, but I've found those CSJ guides very useful on my previous 2 caminos - and very portable!).

(In between all that, am also subjecting myself to a speed crash revision course in Spanish, through listening to lots of podcasts in Spanish, reading Spanish magazines and websites, watching movies in Spanish, etc... Have not spoken it since 2009 and am not sure I'll still be able to communicate with the locals!)

The facebook page of the Albergue Bodenaya is a good place to go for news on the weather -- Alejandro photos the pilgrims leaving every morning and you can tell by the way they're dressed what the weather is like (this was a tip from ebrant, I believe, and it's a good one!). https://www.facebook.com/albergue.bodenaya?ref=ts&fref=ts

Yes! Saw this tip a few days ago and am checking the page each morning. Presently, t-shirts and shorts, it seems! Hope the good weather holds. (ps: Am hoping to stay in that Albergue - but if staying there means inflicting a morning photograph of myself onto the Camino FB community, now I am not so sure!!!)

Two weeks, wow. The first time I walked the Primitivo it was early October. I hope you get the weather I got -- chilly in morning, warming up in the afternoon, snow off in the mountains but never falling on me. Just about perfect walking weather. Buen camino, Laurie

Am very much a creature of habit - in that this is now the 3rd Camino I start right at the end of September (ps: I think it's my way of giving myself a subconscious birthday treat, as my birthday is on 28 September). One day, one day, I'll walk a spring Camino - I always imagine it must be lovely to see fields full of new flowers in bloom... In the meantime, autumn Camino means heavier rucksack, to be prepared for every weather...

Last edited:
If you also read Terry's blog (the posts for 2009) you will find some more information there. The albergue at Bodenaya was new when he stayed there in 2009. The El Candido at San roman was new when we stayed there in 2012. It was very plain then but has had a fantastic mural painted on the outside wall. Very friendly. Hopefully you will have the weather that we did over Puerto de Palo, and not the cloud and rain that Terry experienced.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you also read Terry's blog (the posts for 2009) you will find some more information there.
Thank you Tia V, I'll make sure I look at it also.

Hopefully you will have the weather that we did over Puerto de Palo, and not the cloud and rain that Terry experienced.

In an ideal world the weather would always smile upon me - rain and fog make me go totally loopy. I remember clearly walking in fairly bad weather from
A Gudiña - Laza on the Via de la Plata and somehow becoming convinced I was going to die of hypothermia there and then! I spent most of that day trudging along, making slow progress but bursting into tears every 5 mins, expecting my impending doom. This is actually a lovely leg of the trip, going high up along the Embalse das Portas - alas I did not get any of the lovely views of the Embalse, not sure if that was because of the rain, the fog, or my tears! Haha! I feel so silly looking back on that day. Obviously, I survived, albeit soaked to the bones and extremely cold. (ps: I always get surprised at how emotional I get while walking a camino, fairly ecstatic one day and then a total tearful wreck the day after).

Ok. Question about poles.

I bought myself cheap trekking poles last week (back then I was actually planning on walking the Ingles but since then I have (a) decided to walk the Primitivo instead of the Ingles and (b) been reading rave comments about Pacer Poles. I am quite tempted to treat myself to a pair of those but despite carefully reading the website, I still can't quite pinpoint how they are different to/better than standard poles, apart from the ergonomic grips. They're quite a bit more expensive than the ones I already have so would welcome advice from anyone who's walked the Primitivo (or indeed any other camino) with normal poles and has then used Pacer Poles and can compare the two. (ps: I used two standard poles (which I have since lost) on the Frances and found they helped me to get into a groove and walk faster, so I definitely want to use poles).

Last edited:
Ok. Question about poles.

I bought myself cheap trekking poles last week (back then I was actually planning on walking the Ingles but since then I have (a) decided to walk the Primitivo instead of the Ingles and (b) been reading rave comments about Pacerpoles. I am quite tempted to treat myself to a pair of those but despite carefully reading the website, I still can't quite pinpoint how they are different to/better than standard poles, apart from the ergonomic grips. They're quite a bit more expensive than the ones I already have so would welcome advice from anyone who's walked the Primitivo (or indeed any other camino) with normal poles and has then used Pacerpoles and can compare the two. (ps: I used two standard poles (which I have since lost) on the Frances and found they helped me to get into a groove and walk faster, so I definitely want to use poles).

Hi, Isabelle, I have never walked with Pacerpoles, I use collapsible Leki poles so that I can carry them on the plane. So I can't answer your question, but I would suggest that you post the question on a separate thread, I think there's an Equipment section, so that you can get some of the experienced Pacerpoles users who may not be looking at Primitivo questions. Looks like you are making lots of progress in your planning, what is your departure date? A little more than a week??? Yikes! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks like you are making lots of progress in your planning, what is your departure date? A little more than a week??? Yikes!

Am flying into Asturias airport on Wed 24 Sept. Yikes indeed!

Was hoping to be able to walk a short leg - eg to Escamplero - that same day, to ease myself in gently, but flight does not land till 2.30pm, so by the time I get out of the airport, make it to Oviedo, get a credencial, find my bearings etc, there is no way I'll still have time to walk 10km before dark :-(

After several caminos with trekking poles, I bought Pacer Poles. They are more comfortable, have better ergonomic features, and promote an improved rhythm for walking (when used correctly). After thousands of kilometers on Pacer Poles, I am nearing the point of replacing them. I think they are an improvement on standard poles.

One advantage of being in Oviedo in the afternoon is that you can visit the Cathedral, go to the office of the Cámara Santa (door to entrance at far right hand corner of the nave) and get a sello. Open 16.00 to approx 19.00. When we were there pilgrims could visit the chapel itself free, but paid for the museum.
I cannot speak about poles as we both used a single wooden stick, cut to fit to our hand with arm at right angles to the body.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Am flying into Asturias airport on Wed 24 Sept. flight does not land till 2.30pm, so by the time I get out of the airport, make it to Oviedo, get a credencial, find my bearings etc, there is no way I'll still have time to walk 10km before dark :-(
No, it would be hoping for too much. Asturias airport is quite a long way from Oviedo, and though there are frequent buses between the two, you'll probably be at your planned destination by 5 pm. As Tia Valeria notes, you'll have time to visit the Cathedral (before 7 pm) and get your credencial with stamp.
To walk to Escamplero is tough at that time of day, but you could take a bus if your schedule is tight!:rolleyes:

If you need a place to stay in Oviedo the Hostal Oviedo is pilgrim friendly, Calle Uria goes down opposite the railway station. The bus station is just down the road. The hostal is on the second floor of a buidling next to the Cafe Cristina. Ring the bell and say 'peregrina' and they will open up. The phone number is in the guide I think. If you want their e-mail address then feel free to PM me. The cathedral is fairly easy to find from there as I think it has signs pointing the way. Next morning you are already on the Camino as it passes the railway station.

No, it would be hoping for too much. Asturias airport is quite a long way from Oviedo, and though there are frequent buses between the two, you'll probably be at your planned destination by 5 pm. As Tia Valeria notes, you'll have time to visit the Cathedral (before 7 pm) and get your credencial with stamp.
To walk to Escamplero is tough at that time of day, but you could take a bus if your schedule is tight!:rolleyes:

Yes I'll definitely take it easy on arrival day and stay overnight in Oviedo. Although, I seem to have developed some pain in my left heel over the past few weeks, which I've tried to ignore. However it has got worse over the past couple of days and it has dawned on me yesterday I might be suffering from plantar fasciitis, which means I'll definitely have to keep my stages short and sweet - I might be staying in Escamplero after all if that is all I can manage on the first day, even if I set off in the morning!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ring the bell and say 'peregrina' and they will open up.

Sorry but this made me giggle. I visualised it as the "Open Sesame" of the Camino.

Thanks for the useful info - am still undecided as to whether to stay in the albergue in Oviedo or treat myself to somewhere more private.

After several caminos with trekking poles, I bought Pacer Poles. They are more comfortable, have better ergonomic features, and promote an improved rhythm for walking (when used correctly). After thousands of kilometers on Pacer Poles, I am nearing the point of replacing them. I think they are an improvement on standard poles.

Thanks for this. Having hesitated for over a week as to whether to get a pair or not, finally decided today to go ahead and buy them - too late however! Have only just noticed their website states it would take 5 working days for them to get to me :-( Maybe next time.... (ps: I've been spoiled over the years by Amazon next day delivery service, and forgot other merchants take longer).

Am in the middle of a quite stressful stage of my camino - packing my rucksack! Always been difficult for me to travel light, but this time am particularly mindful of the pain I've been suffering in my left foot (from plantar fasciitis) and am therefore keen to keep my load lighter than usual.

Doing quite well so far although I have not weighed it yet - am being so strict that I am not even bothering to take anti-perspirant with me (eek!). Three items I am unsure whether to take or not are (i) my sleeping bag (I am also taking a silk liner), (ii) a light rainproof/wind jacket which, although not heavy, is a bit bulky and takes up precious space that could be filled by things like food (!) and (iii) a woolly hat (my ears are particulary prone to the cold).

Would appreciate advice from anyone who's walked the Primitivo at this time of year.

Also - am not bothering to take gloves, but should I?

In a way, I found packing for the Via de la Plata easier, as I knew from the geographic route (south to north) that I needed stuff for two different seasons. On this one, I just don't know what to expect at all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would take the bag and not the liner, woolly hat if you do feel the cold and I took silk gloves for the same reason. I had a good fleece (Rohan men's Kombi jacket - discontinued, low stock in 'Souk' section only) which is reversible for extra warmth and only weighs 400gms. No jacket just my poncho (also Rohan - full length) . I imagine that the late September /early October weather is similar to May and could be cold in the evenings and morning but pleasantly warm during the day.

Am in the middle of a quite stressful stage of my camino - packing my rucksack! Always been difficult for me to travel light, but this time am particularly mindful of the pain I've been suffering in my left foot (from plantar fasciitis) and am therefore keen to keep my load lighter than usual.

Doing quite well so far although I have not weighed it yet - am being so strict that I am not even bothering to take anti-perspirant with me (eek!). Three items I am unsure whether to take or not are (i) my sleeping bag (I am also taking a silk liner), (ii) a light rainproof/wind jacket which, although not heavy, is a bit bulky and takes up precious space that could be filled by things like food (!) and (iii) a woolly hat (my ears are particulary prone to the cold).

Would appreciate advice from anyone who's walked the Primitivo at this time of year.

Also - am not bothering to take gloves, but should I?

In a way, I found packing for the Via de la Plata easier, as I knew from the geographic route (south to north) that I needed stuff for two different seasons. On this one, I just don't know what to expect at all.

Hi, Isabelle,
I would agree with Tia Valeria that a sleeping bag is a good idea. When I walked the Primitivo in late Sept/early Oct. it was very chilly some nights. And also very chilly some mornings, I remember seeing the temperature sign when we left Leon early in the morning flashing a bright 6. I always carry a pair of lightweight lambswool gloves, and I would definitely bring them on this walk. There was snow in the mountains outside Tineo the night I slept in Tineo (early Oct) and it was cold (but beautiful) in the morning.

Hope the packing goes well -- I've walked a lot of Caminos and I always have these last minute jitters -- I think that the obsessing over particular items for the backpack is really just a way we transfer our aniety over the walk to something we can actually do something about. But that first step on the camino takes it all away, so hang in there!

Buen camino, Laurie

Hola

Gloves - yes.
You need to swing your arms as you walk to generate kinetic energy that thrust you forward.
If you have cold hands, and keep them in your jacket pockets, you will miss out on free energy ;)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you dear Veteran Members for the advice :D. I'll make sure my sleeping bag comes with me, as well as hat and gloves. To compensate, I might swap the pair of crocs I was going to wear in the albergues, for a pair of flip flops.... Problem with flip flops is you can't wear socks with them and my feet get cold easily :(.

I think that the obsessing over particular items for the backpack is really just a way we transfer our aniety over the walk to something we can actually do something about.

That's an interesting thought! You are probably right!

Last edited:
That's an interesting thought! You are probably right!
Thank you dear Veteran Members for the advice :D. I'll make sure my sleeping bag comes with me, as well as hat and gloves. To compensate, I might swap the pair of crocs I was going to wear in the albergues, for a pair of flip flops.... Problem with flip flops is you can't wear socks with them and my feet get cold easily :(.

A pair of finger socks?...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stuff your spare socks (or something similar) in the Crocs to save space, they are warmer than flip-flops. If you have the time and finances then Corrymoor mohair socks are warm without being bulky and don't need washing very often. Sportsman are the midweight ones, great in Crocs.
[Edit: see you leave on 24th so the mohair socks idea is probably for another time]

Last edited:
Stuff your spare socks (or something similar) in the Crocs to save space, they are warmer than flip-flops. If you have the time and finances then Corrymoor mohair socks are warm without being bulky and don't need washing very often. Sportsman are the midweight ones, great in Crocs.
[Edit: see you leave on 24th so the mohair socks idea is probably for another time]
I followed your advice and took the crocs, although it took me ages to get them to fit into my rucksack without getting squashed out of shape.

Am presently sitting outside Asturias airport waiting for bus to depart for Oviedo. Totally forgot to book a hotel for tonight so I might end up at the Oviedo Albergue after all.

Ok am now at the Albergue and am going through a bit of a "what the hell am I doing here" phase. I did not take any anti-perspirant with me but have already realised that was a BIG mistake! The Albergue is about half full at time of writing but with pilgrims who have already been walking a while.

I'll probably just do a short day tomorrow to ease myself in gently. Mood a bit low right now but I don't know why...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arriving but not 'starting' is a bit disconcerting maybe. There is a huge Corte Inglés in Oviedo where you might find some nice scented soap or a small anti-perspirant. As an alternative idea neem or tea tree soap seems to work well and being soap is dual purpose......
Buen camino.

Buen camino Isabelle. I am betting that when you take your first steps on the camino tomorrow, no matter how far you get, your dull sensory state will disappear. It's that "one foot in front of the other" rhythm that is guaranteed to dispel all thoughts but those having to do with the essence of the moment and the gratitude that we are able to do this. That's my experience anyway. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you. I have a friend that was walking up north this past week and there was rain rain rain. It looks like you may escape it! Buen camino, Laurie

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back