• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving from Porto mid october

GriffQuest

Time of past OR future Camino
CP central 2018
Hi all,

New Camino-er here. I’m planning on starting the Camino in Porto in mid October and going the central route. Can anyone let me know what to expect in terms of other pilgrims / how populated the route will be? I am going back and forth about whether a solitary trip is what I’m looking for.

I originally was going to walk the coastal route but after perusing some threads I’ve settled on the central route for a couple reasons. That being said I’m impressionable and have no obligations - could even be perusaded to start somewhere on the CF.

Thank you all!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all,

New Camino-er here. I’m planning on starting the Camino in Porto in mid October and going the central route. Can anyone let me know what to expect in terms of other pilgrims / how populated the route will be? I am going back and forth about whether a solitary trip is what I’m looking for.

I originally was going to walk the coastal route but after perusing some threads I’ve settled on the central route for a couple reasons. That being said I’m impressionable and have no obligations - could even be perusaded to start somewhere on the CF.

Thank you all!
Hi Griff
Good luck with making the decision on which Camino to do. I have had experiences with the Camino Francis, 2016, 2017, 2018. This year I finally completed the CF from SJPP to Finisterre. I didn't know at the beginning that I would be doing the 3 in a row but they were all different. It took me 44 days as I'm a slow walker aged 65. I'm spreading my wings next year doing the C Portuguese in May from Lisbon. Maybe it would be good to start with the most established & best known Camino with the best infrastructure, the CF. I got ample alone time during May/ June & Aug/ September, & lots of company when I needed it. You sound like you have time constraints, so starting in Leon might be a great big -city experience. We can join at any spot along the way as pilgrims understand the new excitement.
Beun Camino on your choices.
Miki Goldie

Hi Griff.
I'm starting in Porto either Oct 19 or 20 and have been pondering the same thing. Seems to many are walking the coast. It sounds stunning but perhaps touristy and I think I'd prefer villages and a little more history so linguine towards the central.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Griff.
I'm starting in Porto either Oct 19 or 20 and have been pondering the same thing. Seems to many are walking the coast. It sounds stunning but perhaps touristy and I think I'd prefer villages and a little more history so linguine towards the central.
I look forward to you posting after you complete this camino. I am contemplating doing the same in spring 2019 and also away from the coast. Buen camino--daniel

@Pilgy and @GriffQuest - in mid to late October I do not think any of the routes will be busy. Cold wind and rain blowing off the Atlantic - possibly! I'm starting from Lisbon on the 16 October, and am starting to check on which albergues will still be open.

@Pilgy and @GriffQuest - in mid to late October I do not think any of the routes will be busy. Cold wind and rain blowing off the Atlantic - possibly! I'm starting from Lisbon on the 16 October, and am starting to check on which albergues will still be open.
Well darn it I hope to meet you out there Kanga!! Have you found anything pivotal about shortage or abundance of accommodation? Most info I found does not differentiate between seasons.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked the central of the Camino Portugues. As we walked in late June this year saw about 15 other Peregrinos each day. I walked with one friend and enjoyed with peacefulness of an uncrowded route. Consider a rest day in Tui. Lots to enjoy on both sides of the Portugal/Spain border.

I would highly recommend the central it's so beautiful and the landscape is constantly changing from little villiages, forests, vineyards, dirt tracks, Riverside walks and there is a bit of road walking but I didn't find it excessive. I started a month earlier 19 Sept 2018 and saw pilgrims on every stage from Porto but it was definitely quieter the first few stages from Porto. We had no rain although it did get quite foggy in the morning.

I started alone but within a few days met two other single travellers and we kept walking together. It was nice to know they were near particularly as some sections felt a little isolated.

From tui onwards it started to get very busy so I would take your time in Portugal and enjoy it. On the whole I found it more beautiful than the Spanish stages...Although there were exceptions or walking to redondela, herbon near patron.

It was getting a lot cooler in the evenings the closer we got to Santiago so do take something warm

Hi Griff
Good luck with making the decision on which Camino to do. I have had experiences with the Camino Francis, 2016, 2017, 2018. This year I finally completed the CF from SJPP to Finisterre. I didn't know at the beginning that I would be doing the 3 in a row but they were all different. It took me 44 days as I'm a slow walker aged 65. I'm spreading my wings next year doing the C Portuguese in May from Lisbon. Maybe it would be good to start with the most established & best known Camino with the best infrastructure, the CF. I got ample alone time during May/ June & Aug/ September, & lots of company when I needed it. You sound like you have time constraints, so starting in Leon might be a great big -city experience. We can join at any spot along the way as pilgrims understand the new excitement.
Miki Goldie
Hi I live in northern Portugal on the camino between Caminha and Vila Nova da Cerveira. I would like to inform you of accommodations I offer pilgrims, have a look, we'll take good care of you.
http://www.casagwendoline.com/
Lawrence

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well darn it I hope to meet you out there Kanga!! Have you found anything pivotal about shortage or abundance of accommodation? Most info I found does not differentiate between seasons.
I have accommodations for pilgrims on the camino 1 km from Vila Nova da Cerveira. This is on the river Mino if you follow the way from Caminha to Valenca/Tui. The casa is listed on Google maps with directions but if you're on the traditional way which is well marked from Caminha you'll pass the front gate.
Check out the website.
Good walking, Lawrence
351 966116762

Hi Griff
Miki Goldie
I have accommodations for pilgrims on the camino 1 km from Vila Nova da Cerveira. This is on the river Mino if you follow the way from Caminha to Valenca/Tui. The casa is listed on Google maps with directions but if you're on the traditional way which is well marked from Caminha you'll pass the front gate.
Check out the website.
Good walking, Lawrence
351 966116762

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back