• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving from Seville May 1st for VdlP

leannes walk

Longwalker
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, Le Puy route 2014, Via Domitia 2015,Camino Portugues 2016
I am thinking of leaving Seville on the Via de la Plata on May 1st. I have noticed it is the Labour Day holiday in Spain so am wondering if it is a wise move to begin that day. My real question is, does anyone know if the holiday will affect opening of albergues in Guillena.
Also I am wondering is there anyone else out there planning on leaving around this time. I have read on this forum that there have been a couple of instances of people feeling a little concerned on the first days walk out of Seville and I don't scare easily but would prefer company on the first day.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be leaving from Triana albergue on the 30th of April. As I like short stages andwalk slowly I amsure we will cross paths. Or if you want to start a day early join me, it will make the first day walk more comfortable when going through some of the areas that make some uncomfortable. Guillana is also my first stop. PM me if you want.

Edit: ooops, got my months confused: I leave March 30th, not April 30th. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking of leaving Seville on the Via de la Plata on May 1st. I have noticed it is the Labour Day holiday in Spain so am wondering if it is a wise move to begin that day. My real question is, does anyone know if the holiday will affect opening of albergues in Guillena.
Also I am wondering is there anyone else out there planning on leaving around this time. I have read on this forum that there have been a couple of instances of people feeling a little concerned on the first days walk out of Seville and I don't scare easily but would prefer company on the first day.

You have a nice friendly offer from another Camino walker. I am doing a section of the Via de la Plata for 8 days each May. I started in Seville a few years back. I just wanted to reassure you that, even if you are on your own, you will be perfectly safe. The first few kilometres out of Seville might not be the prettiest, but you should have no concern about safety. You will be absolutely perfectly fine. The one thing not to underestimate is HEAT. It can get pretty hot in May on the Via de la Plata, especially the first half.
Buen Camino
Dave

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I expect to depart Seville May 4 or 5. I am arriving in Seville May 3rd.

Take the bus to Santiponce , eliminates city envirions and all that entails . Its what i am doing after recommendations from other pilgrims. Easy to access timetables and leaves from central Seville. Paddy leaving Seville on morning 26th April

Leaving Seville after the cycle bridge we will probably turn right and not walk through the suburbs(if the weather is ok). Went this way in 2012 with no problem. I know there was a robbery around there years ago but it could happen anywhere.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know exactly how you feel... I am looking for someone to walk with on April 15 for the first day too :)

I know exactly how you feel... I am looking for someone to walk with on April 15 for the first day too :)
You are a few days ahead of me leaving but who knows our paths might cross , Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take the bus to Santiponce , eliminates city envirions and all that entails . Its what i am doing after recommendations from other pilgrims. Easy to access timetables and leaves from central Seville. Paddy leaving Seville on morning 26th April
Paddy I think I met you on the Camino Frances Septt 2015 - i was the girl with the very sore ankle in I think San Nicolas de Real Camino? Anyway, buen camino for the VDLP, I am starting from Sevilla on the 23rd or so for a brief holiday. We are hoping to get as far as Caceres. From what I remember of your speed and endurance you will probably catch up on us! Hopefully we will meet again on the Way. Siobhan

Paddy I think I met you on the Camino Frances Septt 2015 - i was the girl with the very sore ankle in I think San Nicolas de Real Camino? Anyway, buen camino for the VDLP, I am starting from Sevilla on the 23rd or so for a brief holiday. We are hoping to get as far as Caceres. From what I remember of your speed and endurance you will probably catch up on us! Hopefully we will meet again on the Way. Siobhan
Remember you well Siobhan, how could i forget a wondeful a wonderful shared meal and some mighty singing and a few extra bottles of wine the hospitalera supplied. He enjoyed the " Craic " as well. Give me a text sometime on 0864098198 and let me know where you are . Mighty if i could meet you again. Paddy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You have a nice friendly offer from another Camino walker. I am doing a section of the Via de la Plata for 8 days each May. I started in Seville a few years back. I just wanted to reassure you that, even if you are on your own, you will be perfectly safe. The first few kilometres out of Seville might not be the prettiest, but you should have no concern about safety. You will be absolutely perfectly fine. The one thing not to underestimate is HEAT. It can get pretty hot in May on the Via de la Plata, especially the first half.
Buen Camino
Dave
Hey Dave might see you on the way . Would be nice to meet a fellow Celt

Hi ,
I am in Seville at the moment at Hostal Florida and start walking on 13 April.
We start walking on 15th. The atmosphere is wonderful here in Sevilla.

Last edited:
Hi Leanne,
I'll be starting the Via in Salamanca around May 20th. Perhaps I'll bump into you along the way. Always good to find company on the route!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back