• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Leaving Grimaldo

Joannarose

Time of past OR future Camino
Francais, Portugese, Le Puy
I've been putting together a plan to walk a portion of the Via de la Plata but have gotten confused by the descriptions of the day we leave Grimaldo due to the split in the Camino. Can anyone tell me how many kms we would walk if we went from Grimaldo to Galiesteo? Thank you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Joannarose,

guess you are staying at the nice donativo-albergue at Grimaldo. I stayed there this June. If the bar next door is closed, the "Asador de Grimaldo" at the other side of the road is an equal good choice.

In the morning you follow the main road uphill and out of the village. There is a fountain with very good drinking-water where you can refill your supplies.

At the end of the Village you follow a small road to the left, signposted "Holguera" until this road has passed under the motorway. Then you leave the road to the right, through a gate (yellow arrows) into the "dehesas". You pass lots of gates.
After you pass an artificial lake (embalse) you will reach a road again. Ignore the signposts directing to Riolobos (left) and follow the narrow dirt-path to the right, which runs between the fence and the shoulder of the road until the guard rails finish.
Here you have to cross the road and take the farm track on the opposite. The (sufficient and clear) waymarks can only be seen after crossing the road, so be carefull, because me and my fellow pilgrim went wrong in this place. The farm-track leads you to the premises of "Finca Valparaiso" and soon you can see the city-walls of Galisteo at the horizon.
Before Galisteo there are also 2 or 3 options, but with your goal in sight, it does not really matter, which one you take.

BC
Alexandra

Ahhh, the Finca Valparaiso. This was one of those places where I had hundreds and hundreds of cattle coming up the hill towards me. I plastered myself against the fence and was there for probably more than a half hour. Of course, the very nice man following the herd up the hill at the end stopped and very emphatically told me “no hacen nada.” Of course I KNOW that in my head, but it is hard for me to act on that knowledge.

Grimaldo to Galisteo is 20, which might be to short for you. If so, the Galisteo to Carcaboso stage is a very boring, very flat, on the road, about 10 more. Spending the night in Carcaboso sets you up well for the next day and the Arco de Cáparra. From Carcaboso you have several options, ranging from 24 to about 38, but whichever you take, I personally think the site around the Arco is well worth a visit.

Gronze has a schematic map that illustrates what Alexandra already clearly said, but in case you like visuals:

I stayed at the Casa Rural in Grimaldo and enjoyed it tremendously. Great host, nice kitchen facilities, all in all a very nice stop. Good pilgrim prices too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Back