• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving in 2 weeks and final packing question....

Terri B

Time of past OR future Camino
1998 St Cuthberts Way, 1999 West Highland Way, 2016 & 2019 SJPDP to Santiago, 2020 Porto to Santiago
Hi all,
I'll be walking from SJPDP to Santiago from the end of August to mid October. Finalising my pack and gave a question...

Do you think I need thermal long johns??

Let me know your thoughts.

Buen Camino.

Terri

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Really depends on what else is in your pack and how well you tolerate coldish weather ;-) I find warm leggings practical for walking around in the albergue/when all my things were in the washer/dryer etc. Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Terri
I've done it twice, same time, and never needed them.
I did take a short sleeved thermal top and slept in it.
Good travelling and Buen Camino
Gerard
Thanks Gerard, that helps.
Buen Camino
Terri

Really depends on what else is in your pack and how well you tolerate coldish weather ;-) I find warm leggings practical for walking around in the albergue/when all my things were in the washer/dryer etc. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks SY, I've got some light cotton pants for that.
It was thinking of taking the thermals in case of cold early mornings, but didn't really want the hassle of trying to take them off as the day heats up.
I think I'll leave them home.
Buen Camino
Terri

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, not worth carrying for the few times you might need them. Jill
Thanks Jill. They will be staying at home.
Buen Camino
Terri

I brought sun sleeves with me last October which helped protect my arms in the sun and kept them warm on cold mornings. As it warmed up I just pulled the sun sleeves over my hands and stuffed them in a pocket. My legs were fine but my hands (light weight silk gloves) and my arms did get cold in the early mornings. I was also surprised that is could stay quite cool until 11:00am then warm up quite suddenly. I was happy I left my long underwear home.

Hi all,
I'll be walking from SJPDP to Santiago from the end of August to mid October. Finalising my pack and gave a question...

Buen Camino.

Terri
Good luck Terri. My wife and I will be 2 or 3 days ahead of you. As to your question I will be leaving the long john behind.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks SY, I've got some light cotton pants for that.
It was thinking of taking the thermals in case of cold early mornings, but didn't really want the hassle of trying to take them off as the day heats up.
I think I'll leave them home.
Buen Camino
Terri

Either or in that case then, but not both (take the lighter ones!). Buen Camino, SY

Hi all,

Buen Camino.

Terri
I'll be there around same time. Leave Vancouver Island Aug 31. Not bringing Long johns but leggings. More multi purpose. Weather is looking warm to hot. It might cool off by October. See you on the trail. CaminoKathy

Hi all,

Buen Camino.

Terri
@TerriB
I would say it depends on the warmth of your sleeping bag. I bought a new, much lighter bag than I had for my October walk last year, but for colder weather I want to be cozy and my merino long johns will make that possible. But I would choose between those and the cotton pants depending on what warmth you need. Try to make everything you take multipurpose.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm also leaving in two weeks from British Columbia, Canada. Trying to keep weight down. If it gets cold, I'll buy something locally. Otherwise, have lots I can layer.

Have also decided to leave walking poles at home. Don't want to risk having to check luggage. Will want to pick up poles in SJPP, not too expensive. Any ideas?

CK

Hi all,

Buen Camino.

Terri
I will be walking the camino Sept 4 to Oct 11. I am from Sask. Canada and even though I am used to chilly weather I have packed some leggings. They take little room in my pack and the weather from mid Sept. can be chilly in the am. Good to sleep in as well.
Maybe we will cross paths.

I'm also leaving in two weeks from British Columbia, Canada. Trying to keep weight down. If it gets cold, I'll buy something locally. Otherwise, have lots I can layer.

Have also decided to leave walking poles at home. Don't want to risk having to check luggage. Will want to pick up poles in SJPP, not too expensive. Any ideas?

CK
Hi Kathy
I used to live in Victoria for many years.
Loved it. I knew a Kathy Murphy
Saskapi(Linda Pye)

I'll be there around same time. Leave Vancouver Island Aug 31. Not bringing Long johns but leggings. More multi purpose. Weather is looking warm to hot. It might cool off by October. See you on the trail. CaminoKathy
i

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I used capri length leggings for "long johns". They were also my sleep bottoms so double purpose. Synthetic, snug fitting and perfect under hiking pants. Lots of warmth and no bulk.
Buen Camino.

Hi all,

Buen Camino.

Terri

Noooooo! I walked last year from 1 October through 10 November, and the first four weeks were hot! So hot so much of the time....there were only a few wet days, and they weren't even really cold days. Just. Wet.

Noooooo! I walked last year from 1 October through 10 November, and the first four weeks were hot! So hot so much of the time....there were only a few wet days, and they weren't even really cold days. Just. Wet.

@CaminoDebrita
Well, I guess that people feel cold differently. There were a few mornings in early October when I walked early in the morning and there was heavy frost by the trail, indicating nights well below freezing. I walked without a jacket or sweater but was very glad to pull on my gloves, as my fingers were aching from the cold. As a Calgarian, I never wear gloves unless it is below freezing. I was also glad to have warm tights to wear some evenings, and sometimes in my sleeping bag at night. But we must of course decide for ourselves what we need for comfort and what we would rather leave out to have a lighter pack to carry.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked in spring, and long johns were the first thing to go. I have never packed them since for a camino. It doesn't take long to warm up, even on chilly mornings, and if I need an extra layer I use rain pants instead.

@CaminoDebrita
Well, I guess that people feel cold differently. There were a few mornings in early October when I walked early in the morning and there was heavy frost by the trail, indicating nights well below freezing. I walked without a jacket or sweater but was very glad to pull on my gloves, as my fingers were aching from the cold. As a Calgarian, I never wear gloves unless it is below freezing. I was also glad to have warm tights to wear some evenings, and sometimes in my sleeping bag at night. But we must of course decide for ourselves what we need for comfort and what we would rather leave out to have a lighter pack to carry.

I think I had one really cold morning. I will try to find the photo of it later, but as you mentioned---it's the hands (extremities! extreme extremities) and especially the fingers that feel the cold, especially if one is (wisely) wrapping those fingers around some walking sticks (which I recommend).

Otherwise, I wore merino wool shorts (like men's briefs but for gals) under my quick-dry pants, and that was plenty.

The key is to make sure that you have 2 layers available to wear during the day if you need them, and that you have one layer certain to be dry for the evenings! So, it depends on what other clothes you are bringing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be walking the camino Sept 4 to Oct 11. I am from Sask. Canada and even though I am used to chilly weather I have packed some leggings. They take little room in my pack and the weather from mid Sept. can be chilly in the am. Good to sleep in as well.
Ill keep a lookout for you. I hate being cold so take leggings anyway.

My advice would be to bring some lightweight merino wool long underwear pants. In June I carried those and a pair of shorts. Most of the time I only wore the shorts, but occasionally the tights were welcome early in the morning. I didn't carry any other long pants and didn't miss them.

My advice would be to bring some lightweight merino wool long underwear pants. In June I carried those and a pair of shorts. Most of the time I only wore the shorts, but occasionally the tights were welcome early in the morning. I didn't carry any other long pants and didn't miss them.
Yes but isn't June warmer than Sept/Oct. Nice idea though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here in Dublin, the mornings are chilly, down to 11C and I still start the day with shorts. If you are the kind to warm up quickly on the path, extra warm clothes are not essential.

However, I learn things from many places and the Boy Scout motto, "Be prepared," is the wisest advice anyone can offer. One possible solution is to get a pair of pants that you can unzip the lower legs and take them off. My personal solution is a pair of those as well as a pair of leggings which are super light.

I will be starting out from St Jean on September 1st and will be taking polyprop long johns (mainly to sleep in) as am not taking a sleeping bag, only a silk sleep sack as recommended by many pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

Buen Camino.

Hi Terry, Thank you for posting this question... might seem trivia but when all minute ounces counts we all want to stay light AND cozy right? I wish that everyone's answers and ideas would narrow down my choices but nope! It open's up more possibilities. I am considering bringing leggings but not the heavy generic type. I was thinking of the nylon kind with no feet. They are light and would fit under anything.
I hope that we will cross path as I leave from SJPP on the 4Th Sept, Finisterre Oct 11? It is coming soon isn't it? Mix feelings for sure!
Buen Camino

CK
Hi Kathy, I am leaving from Comox on Sept 2nd. Will be starting from SJPP on Sept 4th with a stop at Orisson on the 5th. Will be on the Camino until 12 ish of October. Hope to see you.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all,

Buen Camino.

Terri
No. I sent 4 kilos back from Pamplona and after that I was down to around 6 kilos. You will be amazed at how little you need. Pack light should be your mantra.

Do you think a merino 200 weight long sleeve crew will be too warm?

€83,-
Hi, I am planning to take leggings/long johns as my 2nd pr of trousers, for evening and night wear. However I'd like them to be compression leggings (skins) in case I need to wear them during the day, are they ok to wear overnight? Thanks.
Hi all,

Buen Camino.

Terri

Hi all,

Buen Camino.

Terri
Hi Terri
Sorry can't advise you on long johns.

I am doing my fist Camino next May, nice to see some one close to home.
I am from Sunbury Victoria, need to keep us up to date on your pilgrimage.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Terri
Sorry can't advise you on long johns.

I am doing my fist Camino next May, nice to see some one close to home.
I am from Sunbury Victoria, need to keep us up to date on your pilgrimage.
Buen Camino
No worries Tony. You can keep track of my movements on my blog (detail below).
Off next Sunday, so nervous and excited!
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi, I am planning to take leggings/long johns as my 2nd pr of trousers, for evening and night wear. However I'd like them to be compression leggings (skins) in case I need to wear them during the day, are they ok to wear overnight? Thanks.
Hi Deni,
How breathable are they if you wear them to bed?? You want to be comfortable.
Buen Camino

@Deni Dawgs
I wouldn't wear compression type clothing overnight. I wear compression leg sleeves on my lower legs to prevent and control shinsplints. But I suspect that they would be bad for my circulation if I wore them overnight. I know that many elderly friends who wear compression stockings have to get help to put them on and take them off every day. I don't think you're supposed to sleep in them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would take merino wool leggings. They are thin but warm, so you can walk around town in them, sleep in them, or schlep around in the while doing laundry, etc....

I brought sun sleeves with me last October which helped protect my arms in the sun and kept them warm on cold mornings. As it warmed up I just pulled the sun sleeves over my hands and stuffed them in a pocket. My legs were fine but my hands (light weight silk gloves) and my arms did get cold in the early mornings. I was also surprised that is could stay quite cool until 11:00am then warm up quite suddenly. I was happy I left my long underwear home.

I took nylon arm warmers on my Camino, and no long sleeved shirts at all. I did go in July, so it might not be what you need in October, idk, but I just wanted to say that I found them so great and practical that I now carry them with me all the time on hikes and around town at home. Like Mike Savage says, just slide them on/off as you walk, and pop them into a purse or pocket when not needed. In any case, great for early mornings, late evenings, cold rooms, or sudden/unexpected changes in temperatures throughout the day. No bulk to carry around, no need to stop and change. I made my own, but usually bicycling stores will carry them, or online of course.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.