• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving in a few days....

AngieOttawa

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - Leon to Santiago (October2017)
Portuguese de la Costa - Tomar to Finisterre (May 2018
I have spent hours going over everyone’s advice for this Camino and I’m finally leaving in a few days to start my journey!

I’ve got a couple more questions :

- should i book a day in advance accommodation? I see very little large Albergues on route... i prefer albergues but don’t mind alternatives ones in a while....

- is there an app or website where i can see the altitude for each stage? The book i bought doesn’t have it and i feel like i need it!!

- finally where in Bilbao could i buy a SIM card for my iPhone?! I am from Canada but am told i will need gps to follow the costal route?!?

Thank you!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@AngieOttawa, aren't these last few days before the start fun. Just how many doubts can you pack-in to so few days :)

This time of year on the Norte pre-booking probably isn't essential and quite a few of the Albergues won't accept pre-bookings anyway. Of course local Hostales and Hotels will. You could give yourself some comfort by booking your first, and perhaps, second nights accommodation, where possible, by when you should have some feel for the road and the number of others you are walking with.

Dunno which guide you have because most seem to include, frequently misleading, elevation schematics. www.gronze.com has reasonable illustrations but still not to scale. They might be a bit tricky to find. You have to click on the the button "Ver perfil de la Etapa" that sits just under the schematic route map.

This may, or may not, help but my attitude has always been that if I want to get from A to B and there is a hill in the way then it really doesn't matter how steep or how high that hill is. If I want to get from A to B and there is a hill in the way then I am going over it (or around it if I can ;)).

Finally, if your 'phone has GPS and you load an app such as maps.me then you don't need a local sim - But, if you want to be able to make occasional 'phonecalls, texts and send emails and pictures in Europe (I'm kind of guessing you are Canadian with that soubriquet) to the folks back home then there is loads of advice in the relevant sections of this forum which can be summed up as something like " go to an Orange/Vodaphone seller and buy a simple call/text/data package".

On the Norte? Follow the yellow arrows. They, and the kind-hearted people of Spain will get you to Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@AngieOttawa, aren't these last few days before the start fun. Just how many doubts can you pack-in to so few days :)

This time of year on the Norte pre-booking probably isn't essential and quite a few of the Albergues won't accept pre-bookings anyway. Of course local Hostales and Hotels will. You could give yourself some comfort by booking your first, and perhaps, second nights accommodation, where possible, by when you should have some feel for the road and the number of others you are walking with.

Dunno which guide you have because most seem to include, frequently misleading, elevation schematics. www.gronze.com has reasonable illustrations but still not to scale. They might be a bit tricky to find. You have to click on the the button "Ver perfil de la Etapa" that sits just under the schematic route map.

This may, or may not, help but my attitude has always been that if I want to get from A to B and there is a hill in the way then it really doesn't matter how steep or how high that hill is. If I want to get from A to B and there is a hill in the way then I am going over it (or around it if I can ;)).

Finally, if your 'phone has GPS and you load an app such as maps.me then you don't need a local sim - But, if you want to be able to make occasional 'phonecalls, texts and send emails and pictures in Europe (I'm kind of guessing you are Canadian with that soubriquet) to the folks back home then there is loads of advice in the relevant sections of this forum which can be summed up as something like " go to an Orange/Vodaphone seller and buy a simple call/text/data package".

On the Norte? Follow the yellow arrows. They, and the kind-hearted people of Spain will get you to Santiago.

Thank you!! :) i have booked my first night. Will see afterward how it goes! :)

And you’re right - i always just go over the hill lol but it’s nice to know mentally how high the hill is and how many there will be that day to take into consideration how far i can go that day. 30km on flat-ish surface vs a bunch of hills makes a big difference :)

Thanks again!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.