• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving in a little over 3 months!

Thengel1

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April-May 2013; mid-Sept. 2017
Hey folks:
Well, I bought plane tickets yesterday. I leave out of Vancouver on March 20th, spend 5 nights in New York, and then onto Paris arriving around 10AM. Sometime in the next day or two I will decide whether to recover from jetlag in Paris or Bordeaux (I loved Paris, but have been there a couple of times, plus if I stay there rather than resting up I will probably spend my days in the Louvre and/or Orsay) So, probably Bordeaux.

My schedule means I will start walking on Good Friday. Not sure what if any impact this will have on the volume of people on the path.

Efforts to get into better shape have been not entirely successful to this point. On the plus side, I am walking about 65km a week now and that will continue to rise as I get closer, on the other hand my weight is not dropping very much. I am not hugely concerned about this, I have always liked to walk, but still if I could be carrying 20 or 30 fewer pounds, it would be helpful.

The planning for this experience is very different from what I used to. Usually, I have planned out my travels in considerable (some might say excessive :) ) detail. In this case, once I leave SJPDP, I will have no arrangements of any kind made. The good news about this is have a huge amount of flexibility. My flight back doesn’t leave until late May, which means I have 2 whole months to finish (not that I am expecting it to take so long, I fully expect to finish in under 5 weeks, but the time is there if I need/want it)

I am undecided at this point on whether or not to bring a camera. Ordinarily I take tons of pictures while on vacation, but in this case... This is not exactly a vacation for me (well, the New York part is). I have a very specific purpose for walking the Camino Frances, and I have a feeling that taking pictures will get in the way of it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The number of pilgrims is always greater during Semana Santa [Holy Week] and the numbers leaving from St jean could be between 200 and 300 per day. It might be worth booking a place ahead at an albergue in St Jean and also at Orisson - which is open from March - if you are planning on taking two days to cross to Roncesvalles.
Take a small digital camera with you. It won't interfere with your journey and you might regret not having your own photographs to show family and friends when you get home.
Don't worry about the extra few kgs - you'll probably lose them along the way!

Thengel1 said:
...The good news about this is I have a huge amount of flexibility....
Great, perfect: and Sillydoll's to the point recommendations will be an asset. :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sillydoll, thank you for the tips. Do you think it would be advantageous to delay my start a few days until after the Easter long weekend? My flight is booked, but there are no shortage of places I could visit in France (Mont St. Michel, Juno beach to name a couple).

Hi Thengel1
I walked SJPD in Oct through to SDC on 8th Nov this year and only booked Orison but got there at c10.30 am, made my apologies which were accepted with a smile, and then I walked on. I didn't arrive in Roncesvalles till about 6.30pm - it is a long day. it wasn't busy then so always able to get accommodation and it was a lovely feeling of freedom not booking anywhere in advance. But you have to do whatever and it may be too busy when you do it. I just wanted to wish you luck but also to say that I thought I had a very specific reason for walking but it changed as the journey progressed. Be open to whatever the Camino has to offer you. Buen Camino

Good Friday is a holiday in Spain, everything public shuts down or slows to a bare minimum, Easter is early this year and the Route Napoleon will be... well... brisk, comewarmly prepared. Sillydoll is very correct in her recommendations, Orisson is a small place CALL them on the phone telephone# 05.59.49.13.03 - Cell# 06.81.49.79.56 and ask for an e-mail confirmation-the place is run by Jean-Jacques Etchandy who can be a bit...well...testy with too many people around, but considering the numbers of pilgrims who will probably be there at this time of the year it may already be too late. Consider fixing your starting date by the reservation he can offer there, the international phone rate is well worth paying considering the inconvenience of not finding a place to rest your weary head. The Route Napoleon is difficult even in Spring/Summer, the excitement of that first day the rush of emotion and experience, the many new people all around you all can easily throw you from your usual walking pace making it even more difficult-better to try and break it at Orisson than to bravely face the winds the ice and snow going over the Pass. The Valcarlos route is mostly pavement and much less...well...inspiring.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks folks.

The only challenge I can see with booking ahead is the uncertainty around the weather. As I understand it, the Route Napoleon is late March is far from certain to be a wise path. In any event, I think I will spend a few extra days in France prior to heading to SJPDP, and aim for a Tuesday, April 2nd start, hopefully avoided the worst of the Easter crowds.

Michael C, it would probably have been better for me to have said that I have a very specific reason for starting this. What happens once I actually start is not entirely up to me as I see it. I will take what comes and try to be open to whatever experience that camino has in store for me.

Thengel1, the other issue you might need to consider is how you are going to get from Paris to the south. Trains etc leaving Paris will all be full and heavily booked for the start of Easter.
Margaret

Thanks Margaret - fortunately I like planning ahead. Unlike my time on the Camino itself, my trip up to SJPDP will be planned out well in advance. As soon as the 90 day window for booking train tickets comes up, I will be making reservations (which obviously means I will need to decide on what I am going to do with the extra days very soon - working on it right now actually).

Beyond the possibility of the trains being full, advance fares can be much cheaper that waiting until the lat minute.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last year I started walking from SJPP the day before Good Friday. This year I arrived in Santiago on Easter Sunday. (They were 2 separate Caminos by the way. I'm not that slow! :D ) No problems on either occasion. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back