• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving in one week

BucketBabe

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances planned for October 3-mid November (2018)
OMG! It's almost here! I've trained and acclimated well to my gear. I've lived out of it for 24 hours and washed and air dried my clothing overnight to make sure my clothing choices are correct. I've combed the forum and adjusted and reworked my gear and packing list. I've packed, re-packed, thrown stuff out and packed, re-packed again. I assume I'll be doing this a few more times before I leave on 10/2. I've changed from boots to trail shoes, refined my first aid/blister kit and broken my shoes in.

I'm carrying my pack on the plane. I've reserved my bus ticket from Madrid to Pamplona. I've gotten travel insurance and provided copies of all documents, passport and credit cards to my boyfriend. I've put the "112" in speed dial and will validate the alert app once I'm in Spain. I'm well versed in using What'sApp and alerted friends to the change from texting.

I've booked two nights in Pamplona. I have already located sporting goods store(s) to obtain new poles (don't want to worry with bringing mine as they don't fold up small enough), a multi-tool with knife, etc. I have already located the Vodaphone/Orange stores. I have already mapped my walk from the bus station to my hostel. I have a couple of other essential items that I'll be buying along with a few snacks so I'll take the extra day to get the proverbial "ducks in order".

Once I begin, my plan is to book accommodation ahead the evening before or the morning of each walk if I see that it's busier than I thought or whether I want a private room for the night. I'm praying for flexibility, adaptability and to lose the need for "controlling" things along with some emotional weight I need to shed. I hold out the possibility of booking from Sarria onward to make sure I don't have to participate in any hint of a bed race which is less likely this time of year, I hear.

I've confirmed passwords, PIN numbers, transferred cash to a couple of accounts that I use for international travel, decided which credit/debit cards to take, downloaded Wise Pilgrim, bookmarked Gronze and this forum, and downloaded some of the resources I've found on this site. Yet....I cannot shake the "squeaky" bum feeling...find it hard to sleep thru the night...feel like I'm forgetting something.

I realize this is not a wilderness hike so there's that. Any mantras you all use to help you thru the jitters? I realize that we all get them. :) Any last minute items I should be sure not to forget? Thank you, my Camino tribe.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Slow down, you'll be fine. Breathe.
A most excellent mantra, from a venerable source:

I breathe in,
I breathe out,​
I have arrived,
I am home,​
In the here,
and in the now.​
I am strong,
I am free,​
In the ultimate,
I dwell.​
I breathe in,
I breathe out.​

Repeat, and breathe...

(thanks to Thich Nhat Hanh)

Buen Camino,
--jim--

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yep, I think @JimGeier is right. Just remember to breathe! :D

Other than that, you've got it covered, @BucketBabe ! When the jitters pop up, remind yourself that at this very moment there are probably a few thousand people on the various Camino trails, most not half as prepared as you are, all walking along very successfully. If they can do it, you can, too! :D Nerves are natural at first. But after a few days, you will feel like a seasoned pro. Buen Camino!

@BucketBabe , congratulations. It looks to me that you have done all the preparation you need. I hope you are ready to cope with repeating the process for the next however many days it takes. So all I can say is kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
too much worries , I've walked with elderly Spanish ladies who did not breathe much between words ,
good God can they talk ....but they certainly can walk
anyone can do it and does , just cruise easy , it's not a test , it's a cruise

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back