• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving in one week

Luc007

Time of past OR future Camino
New member - plan to walk camino first time Sept 2018
Well we're down to the crunch now... leaving for Pamplona in one week. I am so excited - everything I do, read, think or talk about is camino, camino, camino... I am not as prepared physically as I would like to be. The winter here in Ottawa has been never-ending. Streets and sidewalks were totally unwalkable for the longest time and are just beginning to be ice free this past week. Hence I did not do much training. I'll just have to take it slow. I got my pack weight down to 21lbs (including water). Can't seem to get it any lighter than that. Maybe my load will lighten up as I go. I did a 12k walk today with it and find it manageable.

My main concern is my feet, or should I say my right foot. The thing is I can't reach it without contorting and sprawling and straining every which way. (the result of arthritic hip / pelvic malformation which prevents me from crossing my right leg over the left. I underwent a total hip replacement 3 years ago and it has removed the pain but I still cant reach that foot very easily. Clipping toe nails is a major workout!) I can manage taking off and putting on socks but I'm worried if I get a blister or injury on that foot that I won't be able to reach it properly to take care of it myself. Hope to meet some good and understanding peregrinos who will help if I need that.

I also want to thank all the people who administer and take part in this forum. Your posts and comments have been a major source of knowledge and inspiration and enjoyment for me during this past year while planing this adventure. All the best to all of you ! Who knows! Maybe I'll meet some of you along the way.

Ultreya!! :)

Luc

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino! Revisit your pack one last time: any weight you can drop from it means less stress on your feet.

Have your toenails trimmed just before you leave.

I would advise taking a break immediately at the minute you get a hotspot on either foot. I like to then take off my socks and massage my feet, but this may be a problem for you. If it's something wrong on the foot you can't reach, ask for the help of a passing fellow hiker. I'm sure you'll get some help, but you'll have to reach out and ask. Same process if you do get a blister.

Good luck. You are not alone - I can barely put my sock on my right foot due to a knee problem.

Tom

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In any large town or city you will find multiple peluqueria (beauty salons). There you can ask for a una pedicura (f) / un pedicuro (m) - a pedicure.

In my experience, the issue is walk-in availability, as opposed to having to schedule and appointment. Use Google Maps and query "peluqueria near me."

Perhaps if you explain that you are a pilgrim, have problems with your feet, and really need a pedicure, they might be able to accommodate you. Forget about a walk-in on an Saturday.

Hope this helps.

Hi Luc , I will be a week behind you , If I came across you with a flat tyre, I would change it for you and I am sure so many other people would take care of your blister ( flat tyre} for you . That s the way ' It is,
Cheers , I mean Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino Luc! Have you considered a thread showing all the items in your backpack? Sometimes members are able to help with paring down the backpack before you go. Just list what you are bringing and if possible, the weight of the items.

Well we're down to the crunch now... leaving for Pamplona in one week. I am so excited - everything I do, read, think or talk about is camino, camino, camino... I am not as prepared physically as I would like to be. The winter here in Ottawa has been never-ending. Streets and sidewalks were totally unwalkable for the longest time and are just beginning to be ice free this past week. Hence I did not do much training. I'll just have to take it slow. I got my pack weight down to 21lbs (including water). Can't seem to get it any lighter than that. Maybe my load will lighten up as I go. I did a 12k walk today with it and find it manageable.

My main concern is my feet, or should I say my right foot. The thing is I can't reach it without contorting and sprawling and straining every which way. (the result of arthritic hip / pelvic malformation which prevents me from crossing my right leg over the left. I underwent a total hip replacement 3 years ago and it has removed the pain but I still cant reach that foot very easily. Clipping toe nails is a major workout!) I can manage taking off and putting on socks but I'm worried if I get a blister or injury on that foot that I won't be able to reach it properly to take care of it myself. Hope to meet some good and understanding peregrinos who will help if I need that.

I also want to thank all the people who administer and take part in this forum. Your posts and comments have been a major source of knowledge and inspiration and enjoyment for me during this past year while planing this adventure. All the best to all of you ! Who knows! Maybe I'll meet some of you along the way.

Ultreya!! :)

Luc

Hola Pilgrim. The one big flag that I see in your remarks is your backpack weight. I understand you seem to be at a standstill at 21 pounds but I urge you to get your pack weight down as you will be carrying the weight (anchor) around with you for long days on end and it will take its toll. I suspect you have already done this but if not - - lay all your gear out on a bed and ask about each piece - - - is this a necessity or a want and play hard ball with yourself. Second, water. I don't know how many liters of the 21 pounds you are carrying but consider carrying one or two liters as there are plenty of places to refill your bottles or bladder, specifically, at alburges/refuges/pensions, bars and in the center of most towns or villages there is potable water fountains. This alone could be a big weight savings. That said, have a wonderful journey, your anticipation and excitement will be well rewarded.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...The one big flag that I see in your remarks is your backpack weight. I understand you seem to be at a standstill at 21 pounds but I urge you to get your pack weight down...

Thank you for the reply. The main culprits for my pack weight are:
1) slightly heavy pack (1.4kg)
2) slightly heavy sleeping bag (1.1kg)
3) extra shoes (690g)
4) slightly heavy raincoat (440g)

Those 4 items alone come out to 8 lbs! But these are the ones I have, and the ones I'll bring.
Water is only one 750ml bottle which when full is 800g. I was going to bring two but I cut it to one. I'll just have to refill a lot. I'm also carrying about one pound of food - this too may or may not change.

The only place I could really save is with those extra shoes. They are an insurance policy only. If I decide after a week or so to dump them, then I will.

But would there really be a big difference between carrying 21 lbs vs 19 or 18 lbs?. And let's not forget that my body weight should (hopefully) go down a bit as I walk. Most walkers lose weight on the camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you for the reply. The main culprits for my pack weight are:
1) slightly heavy pack (1.4kg)
2) slightly heavy sleeping bag (1.1kg)
3) extra shoes (690g)
4) slightly heavy raincoat (440g)

Those 4 items alone come out to 8 lbs! But these are the ones I have, and the ones I'll bring.
Water is only one 750ml bottle which when full is 800g. I was going to bring two but I cut it to one. I'll just have to refill a lot. I'm also carrying about one pound of food - this too may or may not change.

The only place I could really save is with those extra shoes. They are an insurance policy only. If I decide after a week or so to dump them, then I will.

But would there really be a big difference between carrying 21 lbs vs 19 or 18 lbs?. And let's not forget that my body weight should (hopefully) go down a bit as I walk. Most walkers lose weight on the camino.

Fair enough, Luc007. Thanks for providing some background color. Obviously, what we choose to take is a personal, informed choice. I agree, there's not a lot of discernible difference between 18 lbs and 21 lbs but a pound is a pound. As it turned out, I carried about the same pack weight as you shared. My burden was water, carrying about 3 liters which was not necessary but I consume a lot of water so chose to carry the extra weight. All said and done, should I do another Camino I will pare my weight down to 15 pounds, just makes for a more comfortable trek, there's no easy way around 500 miles. Here's the bottom line. You have made a decision to walk 500 miles and regardless of why you're doing it, you are to be complimented for taking on the endeavor. It is going to be an extraordinary journey. Have fun.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back