• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving in two days - has Camino madness set in?

LindaH

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to SdC May/June (2016)
With two days until I fly out of Sydney to start my first Camino in SJPDP, two of my friends are worried about my sanity. Why? Not because I'm setting out to hike approx 800 km carrying a backpack in my sixties, but because today I went to get my sensible Camino haircut and decided to have streaks to match (sort of) the colour of my Rose (dark pinky colour) Osprey Kyte backpack. I love it and think it is a bit of fun. One of my friends thinks I'll be lucky to get through customs in Paris and be allowed into France :eek:. After the last few weeks of excited anticipation, have I really tipped over the edgeo_O? I would post a photo, but I'm not sure how - too feeble-minded?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
With two days until I fly out of Sydney to start my first Camino in SJPDP, two of my friends are worried about my sanity. Why? Not because I'm setting out to hike approx 800 km carrying a backpack in my sixties, but because today I went to get my sensible Camino haircut and decided to have streaks to match (sort of) the colour of my Rose (dark pinky colour) Osprey Kyte backpack. I love it and think it is a bit of fun. One of my friends thinks I'll be lucky to get through customs in Paris and be allowed into France :eek:. After the last few weeks of excited anticipation, have I really tipped over the edgeo_O? I would post a photo, but I'm not sure how - too feeble-minded?

All perfectly normal :confused: ;) What a stunning colour :p I'm sure that Paris Customs has seen it all and the mademoiselle who stamped our passport had bright white streaks through a coal black crop cut :D

Buen Camino!

Go Well! and don't underestimate the jet lag...

France is pretty liberal in most respects - I think you'll pass without too much scrutiny :) Being quite short I found that the women's version of my chosen large rucksack worked best for me. It was also on sale at half the price of the more macho-coloured 'male' versionsherpa-plum.jpg s. So I am the proud owner of a slightly effeminate "plum" coloured Sherpa which has served me very well. Not sure that I will ever dye my hair to match but at least my grey is a reasonable match for the trim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good for you! I got my Camino haircut two days ago. No colour, though. Now I feel totally boring o_O . I'll keep an eye out for you on the trail. I begin May 7. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Love it :) I'll be starting May 2nd/3rd so maybe see you there! Buen camino

?...............I went to get my sensible Camino haircut and decided to have streaks to match (sort of) the colour of my Rose (dark pinky colour) ...............

LindaH,
You just may have, unwittingly, according to latest research, chosen one of the colours for your hair that bed bugs run away from.;)
Buen (envious and awe-filled looks from others) Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Love it :) I'll be starting May 2nd/3rd so maybe see you there! Buen camino

Hi BHaas
Arriving SJPDP 2nd May after loooong trip from Sydney and planning to start walking 3rd. I'll be the one with the pink hair! Linda:)

LindaH,
You just may have, unwittingly, according to latest research, chosen one of the colours for your hair that bed bugs run away from.;)
Buen (envious and awe-filled looks from others) Camino

LOL, wouldn't that be great? Give it a year or two and pink may be the only colour hair to have on the Camino:oops:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Linda
I am flying out of Sydney on Sunday to Paris then to Biarritz and will start my Camino on 5th May walking to Orisson.
I had my sensible hair cut last week and managed to put a little colour into it too. Hopefully we will meed up somewhere along the way.
Buen Camino !!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi BHaas
Arriving SJPDP 2nd May after loooong trip from Sydney and planning to start walking 3rd. I'll be the one with the pink hair! Linda:)

I am now sitting in the Frankfurt airport waiting for my flight to Madrid. A night in Madrid then a train to Pamplona. Then two nights in Pamplona to shake off jet-lag. Then on to Santiago.

I wish you well, but jet-lag is real.

Hi BHaas

I am arriving in SJPDP on 2nd eve, also starting to walk on 3rd :) I'll give you a shout if I spot your hair :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I arrive in Madrid morning of May 3, flying to Pamplona to stay at Corazon Puro that night. Arrive in SJPP May 4th and start walking May 5th. Can't wait.

Jill,
You'll love Corzon Puro; please give my regards to Barbara and Istvan.
Hope you have a truly wonder-filled journey with great weather and easy paths.
Stay safe and Carpe diem!

Margaret Meredith

So that means you are leaving Sydney on the 29th. I arrive in SJPDP on the 2nd and will look for the lady with Pink Hair. Love that!!! I also cut my hair very short for convenience but wished I had thought about a colour - how fun.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Off to the airport shortly !!!

Have to tell you bright pink is not a very stable hair colour :( and after two washes is already fading. Looks like I'll have to find another way to scare the bed bugs away :confused:. Lovely to hear from all of you leaving SJPDP around the same time and hope to meet you all :):)

I was supposed to cut my hair? I forgot. (For the last six years or so.) I've have gotten a cultural message that women my age are supposed to have short hair, so I refuse to cut it.

One benefit that you might not have anticipated is that with the color streaks you will be easy to identify for other pilgrims! My husband and I were always meeting people on the Camino and talking about others we had met. Makes it easier to send and receive messages from other you have met that might be ahead or behind you. I think you will find you did a smart thing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I doubt French custom cares, as long as you do not wear an ISIS T-shirt. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back