• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Follow the camino arrows through the city to the cathedral and then on to the Parador with the statue of a tired pilgrim in front. Cross the bridge and continue along the roughly marked camino 7 km to La Virgen del Camino and an extraordinary 20th century church. The town is named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today the figure is in a splendid church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, a follower of the Brutalist style of Le Corbusier. Located directly on the Camino Frances at Av Astorga, 87, in the midst of chaotic suburb the church is a superbly maintained architectural gem as well as a haven of peace. Be sure to enter it; the calm interior is splendidly lit with deep chrome yellow glass.

Opposite the church you can choose to either continue on the main camino which parallels the highway or pick up the peaceful alternative camino route going slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. It is always very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl while crossing wide flat plains up to V de M where there are several pilgrim albergues and regular accommodation. From V d M the alternative camino continues to Hospital de Órbigo to rejoin the main CF. You can read more about the alternative more rural route in this earlier Forum thread .

Hospital de Orbigo offers many accommodation options; my favorite is the Albergue Verde. They accept reservations and offer wonderful group meals each evening. Leaving HdO turn right to follow the camino towards Astorga via Santibanez de Valdeiglesias on a wonderful rolling rural path.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Look for a yellow arrow in the vicinity of the cathedral, or in front of the parador at Plaza San Marcos. Stay focused, as it is very easy to lose the arrows in a city. Look for the arrow at every junction – sometimes it is hidden behind a parked car, or above your head on a lamp post, etc. Don’t continue through a crossroads until you are sure which road the arrows are taking you. It is fine to look lost and unsure. Ask a local passing by if in doubt. Buen camino!
Jill

Just a note, out of an abundance of caution. At the statue of the pilgrim in front of the parador, there are arrows going in two directions. If you go around the right side of the parador (right side as you are facing the parador), you will find yourself on the Camino del Salvador -- this is an amazing camino, but probably not where you want to go!

As @mspath so clearly explains, make sure to take the bridge over the river, and then the arrows will kick in in earnest.

And by all means take the peaceful alternative to Vilar de Mazarife, it is a thousand times nicer than walking alongside the national highway!

Follow the camino arrows through the city to the cathedral and then on to the Parador with the statue of a tired pilgrim in front. Cross the bridge and continue along the roughly marked camino 7 km to La Virgen del Camino and an extraordinary 20th century church. The town is named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today the figure is in a splendid church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, a follower of the Brutalist style of Le Corbusier. Located directly on the Camino Frances at Av Astorga, 87, in the midst of chaotic suburb the church is a superbly maintained architectural gem as well as a haven of peace. Be sure to enter it; the calm interior is splendidly lit with deep chrome yellow glass.

Opposite the church you can choose to either continue on the main camino which parallels the highway or pick up the peaceful alternative camino route going slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. It is always very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl while crossing wide flat plains up to V de M where there are several pilgrim albergues and regular accommodation. From V d M the alternative camino continues to Hospital de Órbigo to rejoin the main CF. You can read more about the alternative more rural route in this earlier Forum thread .

Hospital de Orbigo offers many accommodation options; my favorite is the Albergue Verde. They accept reservations and offer wonderful group meals each evening. Leaving HdO turn right to follow the camino towards Astorga via Santibanez de Valdeiglesias on a wonderful rolling rural path.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Thanks. Sounds like perfect directions
I'm staying by the Cathedral and have now noticed the arrows.
I was not looking down all day lol
I'm going to Villar de Mazarife. I already booked Teo Pepe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found (many years ago) that leaving Leon was a complicated business, mainly because the Camino tries to guide the pilgrim by some historic places and old churches. Arrows were not always evident. I got lost and had to ask for directions. But at the end, basically you have to find the way to Parador de San Marcos, which everybody knows.
Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jersey, if you leave early you probably won't get 1st breakfast. On your way out of Leon, not far from San Isidoro, there is a organic coffee shop on the right. If like me, you need your morning coffee, they're open early. I just got back about 2 weeks ago, leaving Leon was well marked. Buen Camino!

Well I made it to Leon where i start my Camino tomorrow
If I follow google maps will that put me on the Camino
Path to Villar de Mazarife?
I've been in Leon for six hours and haven't seen one
Yellow arrow lol

That is great news Jersey,

Buen Camino!

We stayed at the first albergue in Villar de Mazarife, yes the first on the right and had a very enjoyable stay. Good dinner and breakfast too, all vegetarian . I am not vegetarian but my friend is.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We stayed at the first albergue in Villar de Mazarife, yes the first on the right and had a very enjoyable stay. Good dinner and breakfast too, all vegetarian . I am not vegetarian but my friend is.
Hi Fleur, do you remember the name of this albergue? As a vegetarian, I will pounce on any place that serves veg meals.

Albergue San Anton. We stayed there two and had an excellent vegetarian meal. Afterwords a wonderful incantation with the traditional orujo, orange rind and coffee beans drink set aflame. Strong and delicious.

Just a note, out of an abundance of caution. At the statue of the pilgrim in front of the parador, there are arrows going in two directions. If you go around the right side of the parador (right side as you are facing the parador), you will find yourself on the Camino del Salvador -- this is an amazing camino, but probably not where you want to go!

Never fear - if this does happen you'll have bus drivers pulling over to tell you you're on the wrong route. And students walking to school. And businessmen.
And no matter what you tell them about the Camino San Salvador they will insist you are wrong and you'd have to look very pig-headed to continue that way.
Pig-headed or not, I concur with Laurie that the Salvador is amazing!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that's correct but will check my credential and confirm.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Definitely San Antonio de Padua .Pepe.
2015 we had a twin room there and excellent meals. The Spanish owners were great and I believe they grew a lot of the food themselves .

" Afterwords a wonderful incantation with the traditional orujo, orange rind and coffee beans drink set aflame. Strong and delicious."
I had completely forgotten this!"

At Villavante a bit further on is another great place. Molino Galochas. www.molinogalochas.com
It's near the railway line just slightly off the Camino track. My tourist husband stayed there but friend and I called as we passed and had a delightful coffee stop with the owners.

not all markers are yellow. Many are bronze shells set into pavement or on walls. You have to keep a sharp eye out for them because they could simply on the other side of the road/street. It's sensible to keep an eye out for fellow walkers and there is a steady stream of them all day long - but possible easier than pick out at the beginning of the day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have deleted multiple posts because they are off topic and descended into a silly argument, which some members seem to want to continue, despite a warning. The OP's question related to finding the way out of Leon. I think the question has been answered, and it is time to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back