• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Lisbon 1st September 2015

mistermac

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, 2019 [from Sahagun]
CP 2015
VdlP/Sanabres 2016/2017
Camino de Madrid Sept 2018/2019
I will be setting out from Lisbon heading for Porto on Sept 1. This is my second camino. Happy to take any advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's my first time on the Portugues.
On the Frances I did 20-25km a day with the occasional 30. I will be walking with my son who is likely to want to go the extra mile. I'm 64 and don't want to push it hard, but I know Brierley's stages are long in the first days.
Open to all kinds of accommodation, but we will mostly seek out albergues.
After Porto we are likely to take the complete coastal route.

Buen Camino ,,, Will Be Walking From Tui to Santiago in July , I would be Happy to share some News and Advice once Completed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be setting out from Lisbon heading for Porto on Sept 1. This is my second camino. Happy to take any advice.
d
Walking between Lisbon and Porto May 2015 I was the only pilgrim in at least 3 of the hostels. Very lonely but still enjoyable

I will be setting off on a mountain bike on September 4th from Lisbon to Santiago. This will be my second Camino (CF - last year). I'll look for two fair dinkum Aussies carrying their swag singing Waltzing Matilda for their dinner.

If you were on the CF last September/October the Aussie brigade included an escapee from the Australian National Opera who gave a stand up performance in San Juan de Ortega. I heard that later on he sang Burgos and Carrion de Condes. He and his brothers were one of the many highlights of the CF.

Buen Camino

Hi MisterMac
I am intending also to set out from Lisbon 1 September, and would intend to be in Santiago within 4 weeks. I walked Frances in the month of May 2013!! Lets keep in touch and share ideas!
With best
Hans

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hello mistermac on the 4th round between Santarém > Azinhaga/Golegã (where Casa de Azzancha is located) you must pay extra attention when you walk through the national road.
Our region has a lot of agriculture and September is the harvest time... meaning busy time on the roads with a lot trucks on the road carrying tomato and corn.
There is no problem for walk through the camino you will need to be carefull.
Wish you a great camino!

Hello mistermac on the 4th round between Santarém > Azinhaga/Golegã (where Casa de Azzancha is located) you must pay extra attention when you walk through the national road.
Our region has a lot of agriculture and September is the harvest time... meaning busy time on the roads with a lot trucks on the road carrying tomato and corn.
There is no problem for walk through the camino you will need to be carefull.
Wish you a great camino!
That's good to know. Thanks for the advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi MisterMac
I am intending also to set out from Lisbon 1 September, and would intend to be in Santiago within 4 weeks. I walked Frances in the month of May 2013!! Lets keep in touch and share ideas!
With best
Hans
We'll watch out for you Hans. I expect to take longer than 4 weeks. I want to go at a more leisurely pace after Porto, but we'll see how it works out. Buen Camino !

I will be setting off on a mountain bike on September 4th from Lisbon to Santiago. This will be my second Camino (CF - last year). I'll look for two fair dinkum Aussies carrying their swag singing Waltzing Matilda for their dinner.

If you were on the CF last September/October the Aussie brigade included an escapee from the Australian National Opera who gave a stand up performance in San Juan de Ortega. I heard that later on he sang Burgos and Carrion de Condes. He and his brothers were one of the many highlights of the CF.

Buen Camino
Hi Sullykerry,
We'll look out for you whizzing by on your bike. I don't sing for my supper, but I did dine in that restaurant behind you in your photo. Buen Camino!
Paul

Paul: I do hope I will meet up with you and your son. First round is on me. I will be wearing one of two cycling jerseys: California state flag or the green and gold "Ciarrai". Bom Caminho. John aka Sullykerry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok John. I'll be hauling a green Deuter pack with an Aussie flag tag.

I will be looking for you and your son. I wish you both well. Bom Caminho

d
Walking between Lisbon and Porto May 2015 I was the only pilgrim in at least 3 of the hostels. Very lonely but still enjoyable
Hi Alan. What was the average cost of a stay in a Portuguese albergue? And are there plenty to be found?
Paul

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Okay. As you see in Brieleys guide indeed the distances are long between Lisbon and Porto.
The Santarem hostal found a solution they have a pick up and drop off service and cooperate with 3 or 4 other hostals so as far as Coimbra you can walk in that way without any problem. From Coimbra there is a better covering of places to sleep within shorter distances

Look at my travelblog about the coastal from Porto in the post life on the caminho Portugues. We just came back home the day before yesterday.

Laurie Reynolds aka peregrina2000 wrote an interesting guide about the Lisbon Porto leg, the other day.
Read back a bit on this forum to find the link.
Hi Albertinho. Can you give an update on prices in 2015 for a stay in a Portuguese albergue?
cheers,Paul

Hi Alan. What was the average cost of a stay in a Portuguese albergue? And are there plenty to be found?
Paul

From memory € 10 - 15 in albergues and €30/35 in hotels. They are not many between Liboa and Porto and well spaced out. Santarem Hostel in Santarem, Portugal - Find Cheap Hostels and ... is a must.
We might see each other enroute.I am arriving in Porto on 15 Sept and intend to walk from there to Pedro de Rates that dayarriving in S de C on 24th. I think you will find more, and cheaper north of Porto.

Edited to remove bold type

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sullykerry,
We'll look out for you whizzing by on your bike. I don't sing for my supper, but I did dine in that restaurant behind you in your photo. Buen Camino!
Paul
That was a Michelin star restaurant so you must have busted your pilgrim budget that day. Enjoy your PC, we hope to walk it next year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Between Lisbon and Porto is no problem to find a place.a lot of new privat albergues opened their doors. Furthermore are places at some bombeiros volontarios. Volontairy firebrigades
The school in Cernache, the nuns at Oliveira de Azemeís

Lot of info on this forum if you read back a bit and use the searchbox.

On the Porto leg albergues in Vairão , São Pedro de Rates, Barcelinhos, Barcelos, Tamel, casa Fernanda,Ponte de Lima, Rubiaēs, Valença do Minho,Tui, O Porriño,Redondela, Cessantes, Arcade, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis Herbón,Padrón.

That was a Michelin star restaurant so you must have busted your pilgrim budget that day. Enjoy your PC, we hope to walk it next year.
I didn't have much choice at the time, and had to wait till 8:30pm for it to open.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

You might want to check out the list of accomodations here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.35534/ On the second sheet you can see if it's the same route you'll be following :)

You are more than welcome to suggest other accomodations to it and to give some feedback on it after your camino :)

You might want to check out the list of accomodations here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.35534/ On the second sheet you can see if it's the same route you'll be following :)

You are more than welcome to suggest other accomodations to it and to give some feedback on it after your camino :)
Many thanks cj. I have downloaded this to my smartphone. It should prove invaluable. So many choices and information on each. Again, muchos gracias !
Paul

Hi Albertinho. Can you give an update on prices in 2015 for a stay in a Portuguese albergue?
cheers,Paul
Sorry. See your post only now. But the answer has been given yet by @Alan Davies.
There are many new albergues opened recently on the Lisbon to Porto leg and excellent hostals.

See the full list on Peregrina2000 (Laurie Reynolds) guide.
You find it on this forum in many posts.

Bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many thanks cj. I have downloaded this to my smartphone. It should prove invaluable. So many choices and information on each. Again, muchos gracias !
Paul

You're welcome :) I'd suggest to check it just before you leave as I update it quite often at the moment - and make a new .pdf and excel when it's updated....synchronizing it with Brierly is my next task...

It's my first time on the Portugues.
On the Frances I did 20-25km a day with the occasional 30. I will be walking with my son who is likely to want to go the extra mile. I'm 64 and don't want to push it hard, but I know Brierley's stages are long in the first days.

Hi mistermac
The document "short stages from lisbon to porto" by peregrina2000 might will help you on the 30k stages.
Find it here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/

Bom caminho
Mário

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You're welcome :) I'd suggest to check it just before you leave as I update it quite often at the moment - and make a new .pdf and excel when it's updated....synchronizing it with Brierly is my next task...
Will do. Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry. See your post only now. But the answer has been given yet by @Alan Davies.
There are many new albergues opened recently on the Lisbon to Porto leg and excellent hostals.

See the full list on Peregrina2000 (Laurie Reynolds) guide.
You find it on this forum in many posts.

Bom caminho
Obrigado Albertinho.

We walked it from (start of walking) June 6 this year. It has been a very hot year in Iberia. If you are from a very warm area the heat will bother you less. The 30 km stages early on were very hard for us, so we bussed from Santarem to Fatima as an unscheduled rest day, then took our scheduled rest day which was a bus to Tomar. The weather broke that night and for a couple of days it was the cool Camino we had been expecting. Then it gradually reverted to the heat. The first Pilgrim Blessing we got was in Barcelos, at the Capuchin parish of St. Anthony.

Advice: 1) Figure out what time of day they eat. (Big meal is in the 2 pm range, not evening.) Eat then! If you're accustomed to having someplace open all the time, pretty much everywhere, you need to adjust your expectations. 2) Buy the big (1.5L) bottle of mineral water. I'd say, drink tomato juice as it's full of electrolytes, but most of Iberia thinks that tomatoes are only usable as fresh salad parts or as tomato paste in sauces. 3) Be VERY careful on roadsides. These drivers don't care. And the roads often have neither sidewalk, nor shoulder, nor even a bit of bare dead grass alongside.
But the Portuguese people are some of the friendliest folk you could ever hope to meet. Enjoy your pilgrimage! And I highly recommend the new albergue in Grijo just south of Porto.

Obrigado, Mario. Looking forward to meeting you when we roll into Santarem. Should be there about 3 September. Is booking ahead necessary?
Hi mistermac
Yes you should. As September (like May) is a busy month for pilgrims to Santiago.
Let me know your arrival date and what kind of accommation you are looking for, private room or Dorm.
On September 3th we only have one private room availabe but the beds in Dorm are not that busy.
Let me know you plan and I will help you to find all other alternatives in Santarem
Bom Caminho
Mario

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many thanks. Will be in touch once we are under way.
Paul

We walked it from (start of walking) June 6 this year. It has been a very hot year in Iberia. If you are from a very warm area the heat will bother you less. The 30 km stages early on were very hard for us, so we bussed from Santarem to Fatima as an unscheduled rest day, then took our scheduled rest day which was a bus to Tomar. The weather broke that night and for a couple of days it was the cool Camino we had been expecting. Then it gradually reverted to the heat. The first Pilgrim Blessing we got was in Barcelos, at the Capuchin parish of St. Anthony.

Advice: 1) Figure out what time of day they eat. (Big meal is in the 2 pm range, not evening.) Eat then! If you're accustomed to having someplace open all the time, pretty much everywhere, you need to adjust your expectations. 2) Buy the big (1.5L) bottle of mineral water. I'd say, drink tomato juice as it's full of electrolytes, but most of Iberia thinks that tomatoes are only usable as fresh salad parts or as tomato paste in sauces. 3) Be VERY careful on roadsides. These drivers don't care. And the roads often have neither sidewalk, nor shoulder, nor even a bit of bare dead grass alongside.
But the Portuguese people are some of the friendliest folk you could ever hope to meet. Enjoy your pilgrimage! And I highly recommend the new albergue in Grijo just south of Porto.
Obrigado Tex. As it happens I am from the sub-tropics, but I take your point about the draining effects of the heat. Thanks also for the warning about the roads and drivers. I have heard this from several pilgrims.
Paul

Hi, mistermac, don't know how in the world I missed this thread for so many months! Hope you have a wonderful walk from Lisbon. I think our little pdf guides in the Resources section are pretty good, and were updated just last year. And the ViaLusitana website is the best place to go for up to the minute accommodation information.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you, bom caminho, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Obrigado Laurie. I have already downloaded to my smartphone your excellent guide to shortening the long early stages. Also loaded the ViaLusitana site.
cheers, Paul

Looks as tho I am a couple of days ahead of you - seen no pilgrims this far I would love some company not sure how I will handle the succession of big days villa Franca gorgeous town here tonight at hostel dp yellow house

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back