• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Logrono at 05.30 in morning route Camino route in the dark.

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Has anyone got a map of the Camino route out of Logrono ?We are leaving Calle Portalles at 05.30 in morning. It would be great if someone could mark the routes through cities on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bought the Wise pilgrim guide from forum shop not detailed enough from albergue

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are lots of apps that can help. I used the TrekRight app last year. You can download maps on the app to use offline.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leaving August 23rd heat is the main factor.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Has anyone got a map of the Camino route out of Logrono ?We are leaving Calle Portalles at 05.30 in morning. It would be great if someone could mark the routes through cities on the Camino.

****When you get to Logrono , shower and then walk out of the city following the shells on the path as far as the park.
It will be a 10-20 minute walk.
You are in one of the best cities for tapas in Spain but i doubt you enjoy if you intend to be awake at 5am.
And as Trecile hinted at ...be very quiet at 5am in the morning , warn your fellow pilgrims what is happening in the morning .

J.Brierley's maps only book of the C.F. is available from Amazon and you can get the Kindle version on your phone. We found his town / city maps very useful.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The Albergues want pilgrims home by 10. Yes?
Personally I like 8-9 hours of sleep but a lot of people out there
only sleep 6 or 7 hours. I'm shocked more people aren't causing a ruckus at 4 & 5 in the morning lol

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If the early early risers disturb the others they will certainly not be popular.

I left Casa ibarrola in Pamplona at 5 in morning in 2013 without waking anyone ( I think).

It's a very enclosed alburgue, prepared night before slipped out of my coffin bunk hovered across floor , fluttered out door. Fellow caminoites shocked that I was gone they told me they heard nothing, then I promptly got lost leaving Pamplona, walked into industrial estate took an hour to get out, ( thanks to security van) hence my concern about walking through city in dark I could not see arrows.

Before someone says stay in bed I wake at 5 every morning cannot lye on, and must get up and get dressed. c'est la vie.

Last edited:
I left Casa ibarrola in Pamplona at 5 in morning in 2013 without waking anyone ( I think).

It's a very enclosed alburgue, prepared night before slipped out of my coffin bunk hovered across floor , fluttered out door. Fellow caminoites shocked that I was gone they told me they heard nothing, then I promptly got lost leaving Pamplona, walked into industrial estate took an hour to get out, ( thanks to security van) hence my concern about walking through city in dark I could not see arrows.

Before someone says stay in bed I wake at 5 every morning cannot lye on, and must get up and get dressed. c'est la vie.
A fellow pilgrim left one Albergue in the dark as we were still having breakfast. Some hours later she walked into Viana arriving after us. She had missed the arrows in the dark, walked for two hours and then found herself back in the same village she'd left .

€149,-
Why are you leaving so early? That's almost 90 mins before sunrise. My suggestion wait until 7 am, the trail out out here is a bit involved but can do if you can see the yellow arrows.

That's a bit hi tech for people like me.LOL!

then I promptly got lost leaving Pamplona, walked into industrial estate took an hour to get out, ( thanks to security van) hence my concern about walking through city in dark I could not see arrows.

If you have to leave in the dark - for whatever reason - how about checking out the way out of the town/village the evening before? :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It may sound weird - and too hi tech and digital and modern - but for me it means some kind of freedom, a more natural way of doing things, where I'm not tied to a fixed pre-defined path ....

This is a great idea.
Do you use Google maps?
I have never used Google maps. I've always used Waze. I would think I have to switch the app from driving mode to walking mode?
And I assume I can pre-program the places I plan on walking to?

If you have to leave in the dark - for whatever reason - how about checking out the way out of the town/village the evening before? :)
Hi Michael
Pretty sure you wont have trouble this time. You've been there before., and what has been suggested above is what I often do whilst there is light the evening before. (check out the route direction and where the first few arrows are located). We used the Brierley guide back in 2013 and it's pretty clear in the version we used then. There is a separate map of Logrono with the yellow dots showing the way through the town and street names etc.

May see you in Dublin soon.
Annie

PS
I'll scan a copy of my Brierley map of Logrono to you separately.

Thanks Annie much appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I must be one of these weird people who are not fixated on yellow arrows ;). When I feel the need, and certainly in towns, I use the inbuilt map features of iPhone/iPad. Drop a pin on a destination - in this case the lake Embalse de la Granjera - and another one on c/Portales where the albergue is located and it shows you how to walk there. Or, when you are already walking, it will show you the way from your current location. In desperate situations, I allow myself a click on the satellite visualisation (aerial images of surroundings). :cool:

I think this is actually how we walked out of Logrono. I don't think we walked through the San Miguel park.
If you're fortunate enough to have the Cellular Data on your plan to spare, that works out really well, especially since the map feature will give you the option of pinning the Cathedral in the drop-down list. Maps.me also has maps of the departements in Spain that are downloadable for the initial app fee.

Not trying to be ignorant, but wife and I only had a watch and a headlamp, a GoPro .. no maps, no books, no electronics and we made it. You will be ok, sometimes as others have said the marking are a bit obscure and take some looking around to find them.

Brierley's city maps are very reliable. You should have no problem finding your way with the aid of the map and by keeping a close eye on the Camino symbols - the yellow arrows and (easier to miss) the scallop shells embedded in the pavements. The city lights will provide ample illumination. Getting out early is good - I have on occasion ventured forth at 4:30 am to walk by the light of the moon. It's a magical experience. I rarely stay in albergues so I never disturb anyone by doing so.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked during a week long heat wave in August - more or less in the same area and the only sensible way was to get going before 6am ......it really was too hot to walk after noon. A compass may help you get out of town as one heads in the same direction most of the way to a huge park with a large lake. This path is used by many local cyclists , joggers and walkers so you may want to do a recce the evening before or at least consult a map. There should be some light by the time you have walked though the park/reserve. I have never exited Logrono the same route - I always miss the arrows but I seem to gravitate towards this public way which is as wide as a small road.

If you're fortunate enough to have the Cellular Data on your plan to spare, that works out really well, especially since the map feature will give you the option of pinning the Cathedral in the drop-down list. Maps.me also has maps of the departements in Spain that are downloadable for the initial app fee.
Actually, I am fairly certain Maps.me is free (just checked the Android Play Store, it says "All maps inside and all features are free. Always were and always will be.".
You can find free KML / KMZ files for most of the Caminos, and use Maps.me offline without using data. I did this on the VDLP, some of the routes were not perfect because of recent reroutings, but it was extremely useful. I can't remember how much space my offline maps (and routes) took, but I am guessing it was about 4 GB.
If you plan to do something like this (install offline maps), it is important to install them and become familiar with the functionality before you leave home, because you may benefit from a guaranteed fast connection and possibly access to a computer.
Buen Camino!

Leaving Logrono like Renshaw I, too, have always headed for that "huge park with large lake". One of the pleasures of that park, the Parque de la Grajera, is la Cabana del Tio Juarvi, a simple cafe/resto open everyday from 08:00. Do stop for a lakeside drink or meal on your way to Navarette; the camino passes the door. Here is their web -- http://www.lacabanadeltiojuarvi.es/es/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually, I am fairly certain Maps.me is free (just checked the Android Play Store, it says "All maps inside and all features are free. Always were and always will be.".
You can find free KML / KMZ files for most of the Caminos, and use Maps.me offline without using data. I did this on the VDLP, some of the routes were not perfect because of recent reroutings, but it was extremely useful. I can't remember how much space my offline maps (and routes) took, but I am guessing it was about 4 GB.
If you plan to do something like this (install offline maps), it is important to install them and become familiar with the functionality before you leave home, because you may benefit from a guaranteed fast connection and possibly access to a computer.
Buen Camino!
I guess you'e right. I downloaded it and didn't check - it comes right out of my iTunes gift card. Even better!

€149,-
Thanks for this tip! Starting from SJPP on 5/26 and just downloaded this app!
Not to worry, just follow the crowd you will never be alone.

I almost always leave in the dark. The key for me is reconnaissance of the route out of the city during daylight the day before leaving and also having a bright headlamp. The entire route is marked with arrows. I've never had a problem.

It really is that simple
Well said

OP was dated May 2017, love to hear how MickMac did getting out of town. As Renshaw said it is just a matter of heading west and walking through the park.

Thanks Biarritzdon as hotelmedicis said reconnaissance of the route night before did the job no problem.

We met a Spanish friend from Logrono the night before and did the Tapas crawl and got sozzled, not good preparation, it was a hard job to get up at 05,00 but we did it. can,t keep an Irishman (Or woman} down, no stereotyping here .

My avatar pic is from Logrono start. We walked as far as Burgos it was the worst weather I have encountered on the Camino in August, lightning storm outside Ages with massive winds nearly finished us we were on top of Sierra de Atapuerca, never stopped raining, my credentials were soaked.

We made it. Meseta Burgos to Leon target for July this year.

Buen Camino

Thanks Biarritzdon as hotelmedicis said reconnaissance of the route night before did the job no problem.

We met a Spanish friend from Logrono the night before and did the Tapas crawl and got sozzled, not good preparation, it was a hard job to get up at 05,00 but we did it. can,t keep an Irishman (Or woman} down, no stereotyping here .

My avatar pic is from Logrono start. We walked as far as Burgos it was the worst weather I have encountered on the Camino in August, lightning storm outside Ages with massive winds nearly finished us we were on top of Sierra de Atapuerca, never stopped raining, my credentials were soaked.

We made it. Meseta Burgos to Leon target for July this year.

Buen Camino
There is much worse wicked stuff to drink once you reach Galicia, so beware.
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains, is total bull shit; you can get pummeled by giant hails stone just about anywhere during the summer and have some windstorm blow up, like "we aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy" is not unheard of.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So BTW how many more mornings did you start at 5:30?
I will admit I started early one morning from Logrono, about the time the bars were closing and there had just been a World Cup match between the Netherlands and some team the Spanish favored. I had to use my very best French to convince these rowdies that I was not an American or from Pays Bas to keep myself from being bloodied in the street that morning.

Start most mornings 05.00 - 0600 like early morning.
Stayed first night at Calle Mayor hotel great hotel just across from logrono start of Camino.
Why would there be a problem with pays basque ? I have basque flag on rucksack no problem so far.

There's about 7 KM of urban hiking from Calle Portalles 'til you get past the street lights of the city and the lighting from the motorway, so I seriously doubt that the OP did any walking in the dark after that 5:30 start in May or June or whenever it was, given especially that twilight starts at about 6:15 to 6:30 AM at that time of year in Logroño ... ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bow to your superior knowledge of Logrono sunrise times. By the way what does your avatar mean ?

By the way what does your avatar mean ?

It's the arabic letter "n", standing for "nazarene", that the Islamic State jihadi daubed on the doors of Christian houses designating them as property to be seized and its owners to be thrown out and exiled or executed etc. No further comment about that on this forum of course, just answering the question.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You learn something new every day.

Don’t know the name
Where ever you stay will fill you in , can’t get lost.
Enjoy this town , we have found over the years its our main stop for food.
Great tapas and food scene , leaves Pamplona for dead.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This one
View attachment 70116
It's at the end of a popular keep fit run from Logrono (walkers/cyclists/runners) and there's a decent bar/toilet halfway along the lake.

I might have been referring to the two smaller ones just prior to the ring road a km earlier [ end of mauve area]
Where we stayed "NH" marked the street and then those little parks.
Hope nobody gets the impression this is complicated.....it's not.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back