• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving on my first Camino in the morning & I'm terrified. Please help!

Elisha

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning April/May 2018
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

So amazingly, the past 2 years of planning for my first Camino have gone extraordinarily quickly & the time has come to jump on a plane tomorrow morning at 6am, bound for the Camino Frances. I start walking with 2 friends on Thursday & instead of being excited, I'm absolutely terrified & it feels awfully unfair.

Unfortunately for me, in the past week I've developed an awful pain in my right inner ankle that seems to be radiating up into my shin. The pain is dull, it aches & I’m wondering if maybe it could be shin splints? The first 3 days I wrote it off as a niggle, the day after the pain increased tenfold, I got scared & made a flurry of appointments to try & have it seen to. Sadly time has run out, I haven't been able to have it scanned & all I've achieved has been an appointment with a podiatrist & a sports massage therapist to no avail of my pain. I've tried everything; I've spent hours icing it, keeping it elevated, resting it, taking prescription anti-inflammatories, pain killers... all the while, trying not to cry while I have visions of my first Camino being over before it even starts.

I'm 35, I've never had ankle issues before & there was nothing that's happened that should have caused me to be in pain. I can still walk without limping, it doesn't hurt to walk per say, but the more I use it, the more the ache increases throughout my lower leg & remains. It's definitely an ache rather than a sharp pain & I have absolutely no idea how it's going to react next week when I start walking. I've just never had anything like this before & it's awful.

I know I have options on the Camino in terms of luggage transfer etc, but I'm guessing that if it doesn't improve once I get to Pamplona then I'm going to be left to make a really difficult decision. I've used all my annual leave at work to do this, flights are booked, people are relying on me & the Camino is my dream; the thought of not being able to walk it makes me feel physically sick.

I know there's nothing anyone can do for me at this point, time is going to tell and my leg is going to do, what it's going to do. I've kept reminding myself what a difference a week makes, but after a week & with the pain only increasing, it's starting to feel like empty hope. I suppose I just need to vent because the burden of it with leaving tomorrow feels so overwhelming :(

A sad pilgrim
E
xx

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

So amazingly, the past 2 years of planning for my first Camino have gone extraordinarily quickly & the time has come to jump on a plane tomorrow morning at 6am, bound for the Camino Frances. I start walking with 2 friends on Thursday & instead of being excited, I'm absolutely terrified & it feels awfully unfair.

Unfortunately for me, in the past week I've developed an awful pain in my right inner ankle that seems to be radiating up into my shin. The first 3 days I wrote it off as a niggle, the day after the pain increased tenfold, I got scared & made a flurry of appointments to try & have it seen to. Sadly time has run out, I haven't been able to have it scanned & all I've achieved has been an appointment with a podiatrist & a sports massage therapist to no avail of my pain. I've tried everything; I've spent hours icing it, keeping it elevated, resting it, taking prescription anti-inflammatories, pain killers... all the while, trying not to cry while I have visions of my first Camino being over before it even starts.

I'm 35, I've never had ankle issues before & there was nothing that's happened that should have caused me to be in pain. I can still walk without limping, it doesn't hurt to walk per say, but the more I use it, the more the ache increases throughout my lower leg & remains. It's definitely an ache rather than a sharp pain & I have absolutely no idea how it's going to react next week when I start walking. I've just never had anything like this before & it's awful.

I know I have options on the Camino in terms of luggage transfer etc, but I'm guessing that if it doesn't improve once I get to Pamplona then I'm going to be left to make a really difficult decision. I've used all my annual leave at work to do this, flights are booked, people are relying on me & the Camino is my dream; the thought of not being able to walk it makes me feel physically sick.

I know there's nothing anyone can do for me at this point, time is going to tell and my leg is going to do, what it's going to do. I think perhaps I just need to vent because the burden of it with leaving tomorrow feels so overwhelming.

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
+blessings & prayers...may your steadfast faith guide each of your steps to Santiago... ¡buen camino y benditate!

Hi Elisha,

That's absolutely terrible news, I'm so sorry. From my anecdotal experience the primary pain from shin splints is very much in the shin and certainly not dull, so seems unlikely that that is the issue.

The good news is that there are plenty of doctors and other health workers along the camino with a wealth of experience when it comes to this kind of injury and hopefully they'll be able to help. Also 5 days is a good amount of time for it to clear up, just do as little as possible between now and Thursday.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a Buen Camino,

Rob.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK Elisha you have been planning this wonderful journey for 2 years, and you're now on the cusp of departure ... & as many pilgrims will tell you, all sorts of everything goes through your head as the date gets closer. I'm not denying you have some kind of 'injury' there, but it seems to me you've decided you're going, so what you have to do is stop focusing on the damn thing. Start thinking of all the lovely people you are going to meet; the incredible experiences you will encounter; & last but not least, all the hard work and sacrifices you have made over the last 2 years to do this. Now is the time ... & IF it keeps niggling you, there are some lovely places & people on the Camino, who will advise you where to go. You may need to 'rest up' for a day or two, ... but you are 'on your way'. I write 'positive stuff' on my FB page (GG's Nest) sometimes, & I think you might like this one:

'Trust is believing that there is a 'Higher Power' that always has your back.
Trust is knowing, that once you believe, you will be guided on 'the right track'.
Trust is a feeling of 'hope', and once you have it, ... you will never doubt again!'

So on you go Elisha ... '& may the road rise with you; & the wind be always at your back'.

You got this.

Buen Camino!

This is a bit of a random idea, and would require adapting your Camino a bit, and I don't even know if you like cycling, or if it would make a difference. But maybe you could try before you go and see if it is less aggravating on your leg, and if you need to, you could rent a bike. Maybe it could help you make the best use of the holidays you've already booked.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just get out there and see how it goes !
I too was injured just prior to my first Camino, and could barely walk, but I made it.......
Just take your time, seek medical help if you need to along the way.........
Spanish Pharmacies and medical professionals are great!

Last edited:
Hi E, I have a few thoughts. 1 use walking poles. 2 it is very easy to send your backpack ahead each day if you need to lighten your load.3 vehicle transport is usually readily available; you can go by car or bus while your friends walk and simply organise a place to meet at the end of the day. When you start to improve you can recommence walking. 4 there are health professionals in many of the towns along the way.5 my son suffered shin splints but with the help of a local Physio was able to walk thru them.
I have always thought of the Camino as a leap of faith; maybe that is a good approach for you at the moment.
Buen Camino

I second what everyone else says. Try it and see. Take it easy the first few days. This is always a good idea anyway but especially for you. Maybe half the distance you think your normally capable of. See what develops. If you need a break then take a few rest days and use a bus or train to keep up with your friends. If you really can't continue, get on a bus, head north, and have a few days on the beach in asturias. What will be will be, adapt your plans and enjoy the time, even if not walking. I really hope it improves and you make the walk. Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Go back to your medical provider, explain the situation and make them put you to the front of the line. I had an issue that had to be looked into before I left...about thirty days. Once my situation was made known they swept me through a series of appointments,tests, blood work and counciling . The happy end was that I was told to go and we would,and did take care of it when I returned. Don't be bashful..be nice and insistent

Elisha, just go for it. Yes you probably have an injury but it is being exaggerated by what's going on in your head. You want this so much it's almost having a negative effect. Almost like a release of stress. I base this on no medical experience other than life.
I did the Portuguese last year and first day my knee was giving me agony, which it hadn't done in 10 years. I thought my Camino was going to be cut very short. Took a couple of painkillers, took my time, spoke with others and in less than 36 hours the pain disappeared as mysteriously as it started.
Go with the flow and Buen Camino. Good luck.

Good luck. hopefully everything will work out OK when you get there. I'm just starting my 2 year planning so I feel for you. I'm sure with the support you'll get from the other pilgrims things will turn out right for you. I would agree that if you don't use walking ploes yet, now would be a good time to start. The help me greatly with my knees when walking and I'm sure they would help take some of the strain off of your ankles.

Good Luck.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One way or another you'll get through this. If it means having rest days, walking slower and then using transport to catch up with your pals then that's the way it will be. You'll meet people you wouldn't have met (maybe me, trust me you'll feel super fit compared to me) and still have an amazing experience. People have suggested using a bicycle and if that's what's necessary then bicycle it is.. get there, take it one step at a time and see how it goes. I don't think there's a policy of culling the slow pilgrims so there's a strong chance you'll still be alive at the other end however you get there.
Good luck
Andy
x

A Camino IS aches and pains. Many of them disappear after you have walked a few minutes or a few hours. Then new ones develop. You will have to tolerate the discomfort. You also will need to differentiate between important pain and transient pain. That can be a difficult determination. Things like hairline fractures develop slowly even as the pain increases. Lots of other conditions will have the same symptoms, so you will need to decide when you are doing more damage and when you are just having pain. Stop for damage. Keep trekking for discomfort. Avoid misery.

You have set out on a month of half-marathons. Keep your motivation up. Hydrate. Eat. Rest. Take care of your feet. You probably will surprise yourself! :)

Hi Elisha, I walked last year part of the way with a young guy who developed really sore knees....he bought himself some walking poles on day 3 and took painkillers for a couple of days and ended up making it all the way. I have done it twice now and off to do the Le Puy route in a few weeks. I'm not in perfect condition nor is my partner but if we waited to be ache and pain free we would never take the first step. Just take it really slow, have some plans in place if the pain gets too bad.....it's no race...most people will walk with some sort of pain..... Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m truly grateful to you all for taking the time to respond with your heartfelt messages & support; right now it’s sincerely means a lot. I just got into bed, alarm is set for 5 hours time so I can catch my flight from Sydney to London at 6am.

Only time will tell what will happen but all your advice is invaluable. I certainly have poles packed & hopefully that will help, as you all said, lighten the load. I genuinely hope that at least most of it is emotional & that once I start walking it’ll fade into the background & become irrelevant. The mind can be a powerful thing. On the flip side, I am willing to consider all options to make this happen & if some of those options include renting a bike, having multiple rest days or seeking medical treatment, then I’m definitely all in on exploring my options.

I’ll absolutely keep you posted & update my progress while I’m enroute; I start walking/hobbling from SJPDP this Thursday. I have 3 days in London prior, so if that means forgoing adventures in London for more couch rest, then so be it.

Elisha

Last edited:
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

Unfortunately for me, in the past week I've developed an awful pain in my right inner ankle that seems to be radiating up into my shin. The pain is dull, it aches & I’m wondering if maybe it could be shin splints? The first 3 days I wrote it off as a niggle, the day after the pain increased tenfold, I got scared & made a flurry of appointments to try & have it seen to. Sadly time has run out, I haven't been able to have it scanned & all I've achieved has been an appointment with a podiatrist & a sports massage therapist to no avail of my pain. I've tried everything; I've spent hours icing it, keeping it elevated, resting it, taking prescription anti-inflammatories, pain killers... all the while, trying not to cry while I have visions of my first Camino being over before it even starts.

I know there's nothing anyone can do for me at this point, time is going to tell and my leg is going to do, what it's going to do. I've kept reminding myself what a difference a week makes, but after a week & with the pain only increasing, it's starting to feel like empty hope. I suppose I just need to vent because the burden of it with leaving tomorrow feels so overwhelming :(

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Hey Elisha,

Probably not much I can say right now to alleviate the fear or doubts you're having especially now that you're comcerned a physical injury is going to cut things short before this dream has really begun for you.

But I feel that I can understand to some degree where your concern for your Camino comes from. Last year in St JPD 2 days before beginning my journey I was struck with a severe case of gastro. I too thought it was all over for me before I'd started. I walked the first day through the Pyrenees quite weak and sick still. It took a lot out of me and my body was extremely fatigued for the following days to Pamplona where I thought I was just about done.
But I rested in Pamplona for a day and I made the decision that no matter what I wasn't going to give up because I had dreamt and planned too long of the day I set foot in Santiago de Compostela.

You will have your friends to help and support you along the way when things are tough and totally awesome! There will be plenty of places for you to turn if you need to seek medical attention for your foot too.

This is going to be an experience of a lifetime for you. So embrace the fear and doubt and allow it to help power you forward on your way. It's going to be brilliant!

Enjoy the way and remember to stop and turn around to look back every now and again. I learned to do that. You appreciate how far you have come, see things you might have missed or maybe just see things from a different perspective.

I wish you the absolute best on your journey.

Buen Camino

You will be fine. The Camino provides and guides. It is a wonderful learning experience.

Some blow it way out of proportion on here.

You will soon find that using the word “terrifying”. Was way to strong of a word.

Relax.
Enjoy.
Experience.
Make new friends.
Meet yourself for a change in life.

Blessings

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Elisha,

Probably not much I can say right now to alleviate the fear or doubts you're having especially now that you're comcerned a physical injury is going to cut things short before this dream has really begun for you.

But I feel that I can understand to some degree where your concern for your Camino comes from. Last year in St JPD 2 days before beginning my journey I was struck with a severe case of gastro. I too thought it was all over for me before I'd started. I walked the first day through the Pyrenees quite weak and sick still. It took a lot out of me and my body was extremely fatigued for the following days to Pamplona where I thought I was just about done.
But I rested in Pamplona for a day and I made the decision that no matter what I wasn't going to give up because I had dreamt and planned too long of the day I set foot in Santiago de Compostela.

You will have your friends to help and support you along the way when things are tough and totally awesome! There will be plenty of places for you to turn if you need to seek medical attention for your foot too.

This is going to be an experience of a lifetime for you. So embrace the fear and doubt and allow it to help power you forward on your way. It's going to be brilliant!

Enjoy the way and remember to stop and turn around to look back every now and again. I learned to do that. You appreciate how far you have come, see things you might have missed or maybe just see things from a different perspective.

I wish you the absolute best on your journey.

Buen Camino

This really makes me a feel a lot better, thank you!

I hear ya sister...I'm from Melbourne and still got about 4 weeks to go, having the occasional panic attack...but I'm trusting my inner call to just go. Now turn this forum off and get some sleep :) :)

Along with all the wonderful supportive things everyone else said, buy some good sports tape in Spain and tape it up good. Any pharmacy along the Camino will help you. Buy some volteran (ibuprofen cream) and massage it well each night. Rest. Go slow. Transport your pack a few days. And let us know how you fare. If all else fails, there are taxis. Enjoy Spain! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Elisha, You will find so many people willing to help you throughout the Camino. The most common advice given is also the best - take it REAL SLOW at start. I am starting in St. Jean on 26TH April and sprained my ankle badly two weeks ago - its still swollen but i am hopeful I will be able to make Santiago in about 31 days.
Enjoy your Camino!!

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Dear Sad Pilgrim
Don’t worry you will find wonderful people a long the way who will direct you to help if you need it. The Camino begins long before we put our first step on the way as you have found . Miracles happen on the Camino. As for the other people you feel you would let down quickly you will find you walk the Camino for yourself and no one else. Buen Camino

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Try to relax . Don't worry so much . Take a deep breath and know that you will be taken care of . Trust in yourself and the universe . The Camino will look after you. Don't be afraid ok . You will be ok . Take care

Having anxiety is normal. You've been planning this for two years! Advice to take it slow use equipment like walking poles taking your ankle seems spot on. In the end you can try if you're too hurt you have options take it slow, take a bus to walk the last 100 km. The reality is you can walk rent a horse for part of the trip etc etc. Don't let fear or pain stop your trip! Go and enjoy what you can.... If you are in too much pain adaptive equipment hasn't helped nor further medical treatment then make decisions. You can stay in Spain see some of the wonderful historical sites enjoy the food and the company. Whatever you do enjoy your time there come what may! One step at a time...

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Hello Elisha,
You have choices. Get you pack carried for the first few days.
Go slow .. don’t try to walk with you friends if they are going faster.
I had severe pain in my outer ankle.. never had it before or since. It was a Camino special. Stay longer at the alberge .. you can if you are unwell.
After having my pack carried for 200
Kms I was able to resume fully loaded.
Take heart.. let the spirit of the Camino guide you.
Best wishes
Susanna

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx

Do not worry -- setting out on such a big journey always seems impossible at first. For the foot, I recommend kinesio tape; I used it for my knees on my Caminos and it did wonders (I've had previous knee surgeries, so I knew going in they would likely give me trouble). Take your time and rest as needed; the Camino isn't a race but a journey. And if your journey needs a bus or a taxi every few days to help you to your destination, then so be it. Let other pilgrims help you and guide you along the way -- they will be filled with helpful advice.

Buen Camino.

Trust your body! Stress manifests in many odd and often painful ways. On day one of my first Camino my hip became VERY painful.. I thought I had a failing hip with radiating pain. By day 3 I had total body pain. Over the following week pain began to recede starting at the outer reaches back to the hip. I adjusted at the age of 58! In 3 weeks, at the age of 69, I will embark on my 3rd Camino knowing I can overcome whatever hurdles materialize one way or another. There is so much support out there! Have fun, it's a wonderful experience.

Hi Elisha
I start walking in a month's time, the third year in a row. I had shin splints two years back but still walked 200 km to Santiago. I don't know if you have that, but want to add my unprofessional advice:
- Take it easy
- Get kinetic tape and read on YouTube how to use it to support your ankles
- Maybe its too late to do that - but I took Calcium pills together with Vitamin D. This should strengthen your bones...
- Send your bag to the next stop (Important)
- Its not a competition - if needed, take transport to the next stop / stops
- Enjoy, even the bad times will be good with hindsight.
- I think you will be OK

After I wrote this, I saw I actually repeated info on above messages. Great minds think alike!
Buen Camino!!!!
Johan

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Hi Elisha, sometimes our mind is so affraid of not knowing what we are going to live, that it creates a defense (sabotage), it is a real pain you are feeling, but try to make an exercice of controling your fear, may be it will work !!!!
Enjoy your travel and most of all ENJOY YOUR CAMINO !!!! Take it easy and keep us posted
BUEN CAMINO PEREGRINA

Mónica

Last edited:
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx

Solvitur ambulando - it is solved by walking (sometimes slowly and not too far). The anticipation is the worst - once you get moving it all becomes simple, though not necessarily easy. I wish you all the best on your journey - the strength and support to overcome all difficulties, the laying down of memories that will last a lifetime, confronting the worst in yourself but also sometimes finding out about what might be the best in you.

Do not worry -- setting out on such a big journey always seems impossible at first. For the foot, I recommend kinesio tape; I used it for my knees on my Caminos and it did wonders (I've had previous knee surgeries, so I knew going in they would likely give me trouble)..

Yes! This is the tape I'm referring to. I had never heard of it until a couple of years ago. It works great!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Elisha, you may be suffering from what happens when a Marathon runner starts to Taper coming up to a marathon. It has happened to me before the two marathons I did. I had every kind of a niggle and was convinced I wasn't going to be able to walk either but on the day of the Marathon everything came around and except for back pain from my 4 bulging discs, I didn't have the other phantom aches and pains I had prior to the race.

If it is a thing that you are still suffering, make sure and get your bag collected for €3.00 a day and at least that will make the walking a bit easier for you. Use the Poles, I found them fantastic when we did 144km of the Camino Frances last October. If you find that you can't walk at any stage, use transport to get to where you are meeting your two friends and then you can go back walking with them when your leg comes right again.

I wish you the Best of luck and make sure that you come back on and let us know how it is going for you.

Buen Camino!

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I am sure everyone, writing on this forum will have you in your thoughts and prayers. Whateverever happens, you will be meeting your friends and they will support you. The Pilgrims you will meet along the Camino will also be supportive.
Several have mentioned walking poles and I can certainly vouch for poles, as long as you use them properly and lift yourself up with them.
God Bless and Buen Camino.

Elisha,
All of this wonderful planning and the day is finally come! I am so proud of you. I am taking 2 months to plan and I have been reading about all of the generousity and care of the people on this trip. Go, have no fear. God will be with you always.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi E, I have a few thoughts. 1 use walking poles. 2 it is very easy to send your backpack ahead each day if you need to lighten your load.3 vehicle transport is usually readily available; you can go by car or bus while your friends walk and simply organise a place to meet at the end of the day. When you start to improve you can recommence walking. 4 there are health professionals in many of the towns along the way.5 my son suffered shin splints but with the help of a local Physio was able to walk thru them.
I have always thought of the Camino as a leap of faith; maybe that is a good approach for you at the moment.
Buen Camino
This is great advice. You can make it work, as long as you don’t get hung up on that old ideal of being a “true pilgrim.” One thing I would add is to get yourself some of that higher percentage ibuprofen gel to rub on the painful area. That stuff works great. I had some tendinitis in my left knee and that gel cream dId the trick.

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx

On the first day walk to Orisson and go back by taxi to StJPP where you have left your luggage in a good hotel. Stay there to get over the jet lag , because it better place to sleep.
Next day your bags go ahead and you commence @ Orisson and Elisha take your time.

The amount of people who have finished @ Pamplona and further on @ Belorado is staggering.
Your friends will be that if they allow you a few slow days to commence.
Take your time early as the terrain before Pamplona can do damage ,
Have a great Camino

I had similar pian/injury after my second Camino. I don't want to give medical advice I'm just going to share what worked for me. Compression socks and a good insert with instep support. Planter fascitis(sp) can put strain on the achilees which in turn can aggravate calf and shin pain. Get a mini tennis ball golf ball or something of similar size and roll you foot over it to keep the tendons of the foot relaxed. If you issue was similar to mine you may find some relief. Praying for you healing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx

Who knows why this occurred just now. Take it as if it is part of your camino journey, your life lessons from the camino. When I had a knowing it was for me to go on the Camino I was stunned when I found out from 2 docs that I could not consider going without a full knee replacement. I decided the surgery and recovery was the beginning of my camino. Now I am 2 months out from my camino start and in worse pain. It is all part of my camino and great faith and trust and surrender (again and again) is needed as I navigate how to do this.
I am so so sorry that this has happened and I definitely recommend you still go. I dont know what your original pace was going to be, but remember that the camino is the actual journey. If you can do 7 km one day, none the next and 10 the next then this is your camino. There may be a lot of letting go to do, surrender, and in this you may be surprised all that comes thereafter.
Lastly, Santiago may be the destination you originally had in mind but consider there may be unknown yet to be discovered destinations and people and lessons along the way. You may get help from docs, from pilgrims, from hospitaleros, that you are meant to receive. Be open to the journey. You are here, as you are, and starting the Camino. You may want to come back to finish the actual route.
Thank you so much for your post. Transparent, and helpful to me too.

OK Elisha you have been planning this wonderful journey for 2 years, and you're now on the cusp of departure ... & as many pilgrims will tell you, all sorts of everything goes through your head as the date gets closer. I'm not denying you have some kind of 'injury' there, but it seems to me you've decided you're going, so what you have to do is stop focusing on the damn thing. Start thinking of all the lovely people you are going to meet; the incredible experiences you will encounter; & last but not least, all the hard work and sacrifices you have made over the last 2 years to do this. Now is the time ... & IF it keeps niggling you, there are some lovely places & people on the Camino, who will advise you where to go. You may need to 'rest up' for a day or two, ... but you are 'on your way'. I write 'positive stuff' on my FB page (GG's Nest) sometimes, & I think you might like this one:

'Trust is believing that there is a 'Higher Power' that always has your back.
Trust is knowing, that once you believe, you will be guided on 'the right track'.
Trust is a feeling of 'hope', and once you have it, ... you will never doubt again!'

So on you go Elisha ... '& may the road rise with you; & the wind be always at your back'.

You got this.

Buen Camino!
Brilliant post!
Elisha the Camino will be an amazing journey for you. I did the Camino in September 2017 and have made life long friends with some wonderful pilgrims I met. Buen Camino!

I experienced some significant hip pain before I left for my Camino. I was also very worried--but I ended up deciding that I would just stop if the pain became too much to bear. I'd made all the arrangements to go, and spent all the money, and figured it was best to just get what I could out of the experience.

As it turns out, walking on trail was a far cry from pounding pavement all day long in the city (I know there's tarmac involved the Camino, but there is enough trail to mitigate its effects in my experience.) I had some pain in the beginning, but ended up walking through it until it was gone. I had no problems beyond Pamplona.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know if your injury is affecting circulation in any way but I would certainly double up on DVT prevention measures on your long haul flight i.e. plenty of fluids, walking about, leg exercises, etc...
I speak as one who has postponed their Spring pilgrimage due to a bad ankle injury and a DVT after several long haul flights in short succession.
I echo the suggestion on hiking poles and would suggest an ankle support with strapping rather than just tape.
I wish you a successful Camino whatever form it takes.

Thank you for being brave enough to admit your insecurity....I'm feeling the same way!!! LOL I will start my first Camino just a few days after you.... I will keep you in my prayers!

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know there's nothing anyone can do for me at this point, time is going to tell and my leg is going to do, what it's going to do. I've kept reminding myself what a difference a week makes, but after a week & with the pain only increasing, it's starting to feel like empty hope. I suppose I just need to vent because the burden of it with leaving tomorrow feels so overwhelming
I hope you get a reliable diagnosis, but …
If you or the doctor think walking is unwise, can you afford to rent a wheelchair? You wouldn't be the first to do it that way. There are places that would require both friends to push, and maybe even occasionally detour on pavement. I'm not sure about Spain, but I know it costs a LOT less to rent a wheelchair in Portugal than in USA.

Elisha - be kind to yourself, your body and do your pilgrimage the way that's right for you its what people been doing for centuries, finding their own way of overcoming perosnal obstacles. Plans are great but its what you capable of doing on the day that counts so relax and enjoy what you CAN DO. Have faith in yourself and just have a go.

Yes you may be disappointed but you're still going to make a start, take a bus enjoy the scenery meet some great people - I've taken a lot of tours along the Camino to Santi & Finisterre - not walking but coaching with retirees and am blown away & inspired by the resilience & determination of the pilgrims I've met & chatted to from Pamplona to the steps of the Cathedral in Santi, truly humbling to hear their stories, help them get taxis or bind their feet!

I'm leaving UK tomorrow to start a 4 day walk from SJPdP, I've chronic pain in my hips, shoulders & neck but going anyway and I'm gonna do what I can and know when to take a break - it's all cool, enjoy the journey you're on but listen to your body and know it needs a day(s) off.

Buen Camino love it all - magical countryside,experiences and people. Deb - (walking with a small yellow beanie duck (Chuck) on my day pack.

I’m truly grateful to you all for taking the time to respond with your heartfelt messages & support; right now it’s sincerely means a lot. I just got into bed, alarm is set for 5 hours time so I can catch my flight from Sydney to London at 6am.

Only time will tell what will happen but all your advice is invaluable. I certainly have poles packed & hopefully that will help, as you all said, lighten the load. I genuinely hope that at least most of it is emotional & that once I start walking it’ll fade into the background & become irrelevant. The mind can be a powerful thing. On the flip side, I am willing to consider all options to make this happen & if some of those options include renting a bike, having multiple rest days or seeking medical treatment, then I’m definitely all in on exploring my options.

I’ll absolutely keep you posted & update my progress while I’m enroute; I start walking/hobbling from SJPDP this Thursday. I have 3 days in London prior, so if that means forgoing adventures in London for more couch rest, then so be it.

Elisha
best of luck Elisha. i really hope it works out for you. im leaving from Brisbane on 25th and also having some ankle trouble. fingers crossed. buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Hi Elisha
I feel for you. I had a similar issue on the Camino Portuguese and I found that using athletic tape helped. Run a piece up your shin and you will be surprised at how much this helps. I mean it, the difference was incredible. I take this tape everywhere with me now and use it for all sorts of issues. It’s also great for putting over bandaids so that they don’t rub off.
Give it a go, you will be amazed.
Buen Camino

Elisha

Elisha, you'll be on your way now - I hope the long journey isn't too horrible (I'm in NZ so know about those long flights!) I think resting up in London sounds a good idea - you don't want to be doing too much pavement pounding just before your Camino anyway. The only thing I'd add to the great advice above is not to try to keep up with your friends if your leg pain does continue. Often injuries and pain happen when people try to walk faster than is comfortable in order to keep up. Equally it can be hard for others to walk slower than is comfortable. So if you find your body needs a slower pace, you could agree with your friends to meet up at the end of the day. Or even, if you need to walk shorter days, that you meet up every few days. Or just walk as far as you can each day then taxi or bus to where you all want to stay. It can be hard if you've planned to walk together, but taking it slowly could be your best strategy, at least for the first few days.

Anyway - take care, enjoy it, listen to your body and a very Buen Camino to you all!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Elisha,
Perhaps you are not sad, but overwhelmed at an experience you have been too long in the planning and perhaps you have lost sight of the idea that this is just walking. Take ten deep breaths. Like any other day of your life, it can only be preplanned so much, then you have to let go and let the universe direct you. Like you, i will be doing my first camino soon. In fact, when i made the plane reservations i found i too was terrified. When i walk a few practice miles in my neighborhood, aches come to places that make me wonder if i can really do this and i am again, terrified. When i awaken the next day i am feeling okay again. It is just walking, it is just walking, and you will find what you need along the way. Relax and you may look back on this day with wonder at how you could have been so fearful of such a grand experience. Just breathe!

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx

Hi Elisha!

You really have little to "fear". You will soon feel right at home on the camino. I started and failed my camino in 2015 due to health reasons and a foot injury shortly after starting....but...it was still awesome. I used this forum for guidance and all of the people were absolutely AMAZING with their support, kindness and suggestions! I felt like a failure but they made me feel better and I turned it around and had an awesome relaxing vacation in Madrid instead.

If you find that your ankle will not allow you to walk, spend a few days in one place to relax and think...and if it feels better, taxi or bus to catch up with your friends and do not worry that you could not do every step. It is all a personal experience and we do the best we can.

I regret not traveling lighter. I damaged my feet to a point I was not sure I would ever live pain free again just because I over-packed. If you find that is what you have done, dump some items. Ask at the albergues if there is a way to donate what you don't need. You will find you need far less than you take.

Drink plenty of water! I became sick and believe it was due to heat and dehydration. I admit to being afraid to stop to potty while walking and avoided drinking as much as I should. I was walking alone in the Meseta in very high temperatures.

Relax and enjoy the experience and do post updates about your experiences! I would love to read about them.

I will leave the end of May to start my camino with my daughter and grand daughters!! So excited. This time I have less fears and will pack much less. :)

Buen Camino!

Today you are already in YOUR CAMINO, when I say “YOUR” I mean this is an encounter with you...as some of us have said...the “not knowing what you’ll find, makes us a bit nervous...BREATH as many times as you need, and enjoy the surprises EL CAMINO has for you, one step at a time, one km at a time...that will result in a great Camino for you. Have fun, laugh, talk to yourself and cry if you feel like it...receive a big hug from all of us \Ö/ !!!!
BUEN CAMINO PEREGRINA !!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Elisha
I can totally understand your thoughts and feelings. I walked the Camino from Le Puy to Conques last year on my own and enjoyed the challenge so much that I have booked to go from Conques to St Jean de Pied, once again on my own, leaving end of May.
Last week I was diagnosed with a tibialis anterior tear supposedly requiring surgery after several days of severe discomfort and pain. Not happy with that, so after speaking with several health professionals have decided to still do it, taking anti-inflams, Voltaren gel, ice packs, and 100% positiveness. I know that I may be in pain and will not have the bounce that my legs carried me with last year, howoever this far outways the head space of having to cancel a 4 week trip on the Camino.
Good luck, sometimes common sense gets in the way, but that is also called rosk taking.

Is it too late to jump into the replies?
Are you checking this forum on the way, or already back after your adventure?

"you are successful when you start moving towards your goal"
So unless you have any indication that its serious or being compounded, then why not go?

See how you feel and go from there?

Are you checking this forum on the way, or already back after your adventure?

Hope so to the first part
and
She has just landed after a 30 hr journey to St JPP

Hello! I'm currently doing the Camino Frances, with a knee injury.
I aggregated an old injury pretty badly coming from Pamplona to Puenta la Reina, and I had to drastically cut down the miles I do daily. Because I have a flight out of Santiago, I decided to skip part of the route by taking a bus. Since I wanted most to see Naverre and Galicia, I bused from Logrono to Ponferrada, with a day stop in Leon to see the city.
You do have options, I don't have ankle problems but when it felt like nails were being driven into my knee, I knew I wouldn't be able to finish the Camino normally. So I made a compromise. Currently in I'm O Cebreiro.
My advice is, ice it, wrap it, and go real slow. Take buses and cabs if you need to. Use the bag carry service, you can find tags in albergues that you write the address of your next albergue on, attach to your bag, and I think that's it. Be willing to make small compromises to get to Santiago, and know that having to take the occasional bus or can doesn't make you less of a pilgrim. Your body is important, listen to it and care for it.
Bein Camino!

Hi everyone,

I’m here in London now reading your messages and they’ve been incredibly touching & lovely. I’m extremely grateful to everyone who’s taken the time to offer me their advice & support.

Unfortunately after a day of wandering today my ankle is absolutely terrible. It’s far worse than it was in Sydney & it’s now hurting me immensely to walk. My heart is heavy, broken & I’m starting to feel like my Camino is now impossible. I’m contemplating going to the local hospital here tomorrow & just having it looked over & X-ray’ed incase there’s anything that needs immediate addressing.

At this point my only other option I think is to attempt starting my Camino with basic forarm crutches. My friend who I’m staying with has some here that she’s happy to gift me & I’m willing to try it before I succum to giving in completely. Even if I can get through the first 2 weeks using crutches so that I can give my ankle time to rest. Just curious what you’re thoughts might be about that? Do you think it’s possible? I’m just so desperate.

Elisha

Hi Elisha. Sorry to hear of your continued problems.

You must get a professional medical opinion asap. XRays and ultrasound are probably a good idea.
Then you can make an informed decision.
If they give you the go ahead, and without knowing your condition, a trip to a physio might also be worthwhile to see if taping might help. they can show you how to do it.

I walk with Chronic Achilles Tendonitis, brought on by over training for my first Camino in 2015.
I got two medical opinions.
Yes I could walk, but it would hurt.
So with taping, icing and the right painkillers and anti-inflammatories I made it.
And hope to again (starting in St Jean next week)

But I only stuck with it knowing I was not doing any permanent damage. And taking meds under strict instructions.
Hence the need medical advice!

Heading off in 30 mins to get Cortisone injections in my feet ! It all helps.....

Just get some good professional advice asap and Buen Camino.

Hi everyone,

I’m here in London now reading your messages and they’ve been incredibly touching & lovely. I’m extremely grateful to everyone who’s taken the time to offer me their advice & support.

Unfortunately after a day of wandering today my ankle is absolutely terrible. It’s far worse than it was in Sydney & it’s now hurting me immensely to walk. My heart is heavy, broken & I’m starting to feel like my Camino is now impossible. I’m contemplating going to the local hospital here tomorrow & just having it looked over & X-ray’ed incase there’s anything that needs immediate addressing.

At this point my only other option I think is to attempt starting my Camino with basic forarm crutches. My friend who I’m staying with has some here that she’s happy to gift me & I’m willing to try it before I succum to giving in completely. Even if I can get through the first 2 weeks using crutches so that I can give my ankle time to rest. Just curious what you’re thoughts might be about that? Do you think it’s possible? I’m just so desperate.

Elisha

Hi Elisha
I'm sorry to hear your ankle is worse. I just had mine X rayed today as it hasn't been healing and I suggest that you also seek some medical advice before deciding what is feasible. Much as I expected to be on the Camino this Spring long term well being has to come first.
I wish you well.

Hi everyone,

Elisha

Elisha, so sorry to hear it's even worse. I agree with Robo - at this point I think you need an X-Ray, so do go along to the hospital. You want to make sure you don't have a stress fracture in there, as you could do permanent damage if you try to keep walking on it with any sort of fracture. The offer of the crutches is kind, but personally I wouldn't take that up until you've had it seen to - crutches alter your posture and gait and can actually make things worse unless they are exactly the right type for whatever is wrong with your ankle.

I know it's incredibly distressing to think that you may not be able to walk the Camino after all your planning. It's also especially hard when you live so far away - those of us from the Southern Hemisphere can't just pop over to Europe on a regular basis! There are many people on this Forum who have had to put off their Camino at the last moment (myself included, for my first one), and it is really, really upsetting. But if that happens, please know that you can come back to it, if not this year or next. And even if you can't do the walking, you're over there so just do what you can: maybe you could visit some of the Camino towns by train or bus, or use the time and just have a holiday over there. The Camino will be waiting for you (and that won't feel like a comfort right now, but later on it may be).

Thinking of you - good luck.

Elisha,
You are doing the right thing by getting an x-ray and a professional opinion. You don’t want to do further harm. The terrain is very hilly in Spain.
Be gentle to yourself and give yourself some grace. I will keep you in my thoughts as I know you will make the right decision.

I would get the x-rays asap Elisha,
If its treatable get it done , maybe pray its just rest and manipulation .
You can always rest in STJPP for as long as you like and join your companion in Pamplona or Burgos
The week after Burgos is flat .
I would not start in France mate or even before Pamplona as the two days after Roncesvalles are treacherous and the bad weather they are getting will not help.
You bus each day , enjoy the villages and your friend will love your company each night .
At Burgos you will know.
Our best wishes to you .

Elisha, even if you cannot walk, you can bus the Camino and enjoy the sights! You're in Spain so be there, once you get medical help, of course. I'm so sorry this happened, but perhaps it's a good time to slow down and smell the roses. The Camino will always be there another year - maybe this is your year to be a tourist.
Best wishes.

@ Elisha I'm really sorry to hear that your ankle is worse. I hope you can access some good medical advice that can help you decide what to do next.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Elisha - sorry to hear the latest. I don't know if it is suitable but just a thought - a few years ago I broke my ankle. It was not a major fracture and I was given a special boot to wear for 6 weeks, until it healed. It was held in place with velcro straps, and kept my ankle rigid and aligned. It had a heel built in, and I and was able to hobble about using it. Which was for me much better than crutches. I'm wondering if you can get something similar to try in the UK.

Hi @Elisha - sorry to hear the latest. I don't know if it is suitable but just a thought - a few years ago I broke my ankle. It was not a major fracture and I was given a special boot to wear for 6 weeks, until it healed. It was held in place with velcro straps, and kept my ankle rigid and aligned. It had a heel built in, and I and was able to hobble about using it. Which was for me much better than crutches. I'm wondering if you can get something similar to try in the UK.

Thanks Jill, I’m going to get myself a hospital here this morning and see what they say. If it’s not a stress fracture, then it’s has to be tendonitis. Better to rule out the fracture first I guess. I’m just horribly devasted, I can’t stop crying, I feel so I overwhelmed & lost. Regardless, I’m going to fly into SJPDP with my friends on Thursday & try. If that means on crutches, or any other form of transport that allows me to walk, then so be it. I know using crutches is not ideal but is it possible if it came to that?

Elisha, you're right to make the attempt -- pains right at the start of a Camino are common, and they can be from any reason between an actual more serious medical issue to just muscle stress from anxiety or something, and even just ordinary stress can be very painful.

I hope for your sake that your issues are at the latter end of the spectrum !!

Crutches are probably not a good idea, and given that poles may not be appropriate -- maybe a proper hiking staff ? When I've walked on a painful ankle, which is frequent given my own medical issues, it's useful to be able to grip a single staff with both hands. And it'll give you a better gait than with crutches, which would be better of course in an urban environment. (assuming your issues are not so bad as to stop your Camino entirely)

Honestly, doing the camino on crutches sounds like the worst idea ever. I understand why you are temped, but...

Consider options like getting a bike instead, this way you’ll still be able to do the camino with you friend.

I would unge you to get you foot scanned for a fracture. If it is not a fracture consider that it could be tightness and overuse of you calfes. Tight calfes causes a lot of problems/pain in the foot and ankel. Luckily there is a simple and effective way to get rid of all this tightness, through massage of you trigger point in the calfs. Use you other knee to massage the calf, go deep and hold the pressure for 20 seconds at the time. If there is pain in the calfs while during this, its a sign of issues you need to take care of. Keep doing this until the tightness is gone. It can take from 1 day to a week depending on how long you have had this.

The is a triggerpoint in the calf which ecspecially creates pain in the ankel.
http://www.triggerpoints.net/muscle/flexor-digitorum-longus

Using the knee as described above you will hit several triggerpoint, you look for tightness and soreness.

Good luck

PS: also using a small Ball to massage the muscles under you food is a great idea during the camino.

@Elisha, yes, give it a go with crutches.

The walk out of SJPDP on the route Napoleon is all on a minor road so doable. There is one section you can go off the road, but no need. If you can make it to Orisson you will partly have your answer. Are you booked there? If not, or if the weather is no good, go via Valcarlos and stay overnight in Valcarlos. It means you are only having to walk 12 or 14km instead of 28.

The next day on the Route Napoleon between Orisson and Roncesvalles is more difficult in terms of underfoot - it could be muddy and slippery in places and on the last section down into Roncesvalles definitely turn right when you hit a tiny minor paved road - there should be an arrow saying take this in bad weather (or similar). Look out for it. Whatever you do, don’t take the forest path through the trees - too sleep and slippery.

If you go via Valcarlos, You may have to walk on the road - certainly on the sections after Valcarlos. The first day getting to Valcarlos is very pretty and gentle. There’s a nice path - it may be OK, if too muddy for crutches you have the road running parallel. Between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles its long and steep. The path is slippery and difficult so keep to the road. Wear something bright - a hi visibility vest would be great! It is not a busy road but there are narrow hairpin bends so you want to be seen by cars.

But first things first - see what the hospital says and when you get to SJPDP go straight to the pilgrims office. They are knowledgeable and helpful. There are buses several times a day between SJPDP and Roncesvalled. SJPDP is an absolutely lovely French village - whether you can walk or not you will love it - and being with pilgrims all setting out together. The same at Roncesvalles; I so enjoy sitting and talking to people and watching it all!

Last edited:
I understand where Elisha is coming from. Yes, crutches sounds mad - but aren’t all of us Camino nuts a bit loco?
I did meet a pilgrim two years ago who did the last 100km on crutches. We all know of the wheelchair epics. Elisha may find once she starts that doing a bus Camino, or hiring a bike or a car (my suggestion) is a better option - but for now she wants to try.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked several weeks with Luis Unapata who had lost a leg in a car accident when he was 18. He used Canadian crutches every step of the way from SJPdP to Fisterra. However, his arms had decades of use including his four-story walkup in Paris. I think your first experience on crutches heading up a mountain are not likely to succeed!

The bus to and from SJPdP is very close to the path. Rather than walking any of it, take the bus to SJPdP, walk around, then take the return bus to Pamplona. You will get to see the scenery if it is clear, and the start from Pamplona is much more gentle than the mountains. You could walk the long hour from Pamplona to Cizur Menor and see how the ankle works. If the short walk is OK but you want to take it easy, you can take the city bus back into Pamplona then take a bus to Puente la Reina to meet your friends.

After that, you can walk what you can walk, or continue to take the bus to Estella, Los Arcos, Torres del Rio, and further stops down the Camino. You will be able to meet your friends at many places by alternating walking and riding. You can have a great vacation even if you are not meeting your expectations of walking. :)

The walk out of SJPDP on the route Napoleon is all on a minor road so doable. There is one section you can go off the road, but no need. If you can make it to Orisson
8km and she can't walk in London

Are you booked there

I doubt it , so lets stop dreaming ...27km with crutches in rain and down hill in crap on your first day ,
The OH&S mob make a million out of this advice.

but aren’t all of us Camino nuts a bit loco?

She has not walked one yard or day so how can she be a Camino Nut

I feel so I overwhelmed & lost. Regardless, I’m going to fly into SJPDP with my friends on Thursday & try. If that means on crutches, or any other form of transport that allows me to walk, then so be it. I know using crutches is not ideal but is it possible if it came to that?

Do it Elisha , worse will happen in your life , no more crying just get into it.
Your spirits will lift when in St JPP
Your mates are there with you but i would love you to AVOID the crutches at all cost.
You are looking @ 9 hour days minimum to Pamplona with those wicked things.

/QUOTE]
But just a thought - a few years ago I broke my ankle. It was not a major fracture and I was given a special boot to wear for 6 weeks, until it healed. It was held in place with velcro straps, and kept my ankle rigid and aligned. It had a heel built in, and I and was able to hobble about using it. Which was for me much better than crutches. I'm wondering if you can get something similar to try in the UK.

The lass is in London , has had no planning since this injury occurred and is a long way from the family Dr
If its tendonitis she will be right by Pamplona , a lousy three days from StJPP
Worst case Burgos.
If its a sprain , then there a few more coming before she finishes.

Keep a clear mind and YOU decide , we are on the other side of the world not knowing all the facts.
Your journey from here on will be something to be proud of,
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I did meet a pilgrim two years ago who did the last 100km on crutches.

The only crutches pilgrim I can definitely recall had only one-and-a-half legs. And he had hi-tech "sports crutches", not the usual standard kind.

Elisha is independent, smart and a very experienced traveller. She will make her own decisions. I am her cheer squad, whatever her decisions. When a person has planned and prepared as Elisha has done, and something throws a spanner in the works, it can take a while to alter the vision.

So I’ve just left the hospital here in London. The doctor seems to think it’s a sprain and he’s strapped it with tape all the way up my calves to support my ankle so that I can walk. It feels slightly more supported but it’s still painful, so I’m just going to see how it goes. I do remember twisting my ankle coming down off a gutter 10 days ago (on my way home from the Sydney Pimgrim Meet-up!) but it seemed superficial at the time and didn’t actually hurt. That being said, it was that evening that it started hurting, so perhaps that could be the culprit... not that it matters.

It’s late Tuesday here, I head to SJPDP on Thursday, so in the meantime more rest, ice, painkillers and tape. The doctor seemed to think he could rule out a fracture without an X-ray. I think the way he’s taped it has helped somewhat but I just don’t know that it’s going to be good enough to carry me 25km a day for over month. I’m so incredibly heartbroken. It’s hard to put into words how much my heart hurts right now.

& believe me, I’m not silly enough to think that crutches are a good idea, I’m an experienced hiker but right now desperation & sadness makes the mind go to strange places. I am booked at Orisson on the first night, I never had any intention of walking all the way to Roncesvalles. At this point I’m just not going to know until I get out there and give it a go. I think my current plan is to shelve the poles in my bag & pick up a walking staff in SJPDP before I leave. As some of you suggested, it might help support my weight & get some of the pressure off my ankle while it (hopefully!) heals.

Anyway, that’s the update and I just wish it was better news... it’s kind of no news really. I simply won’t know until I get out there. Anyone know what the going rate on horse rental is on the Camino?! ☺️

If it's a sprain, then you'll manage -- I've lost count of how many sprains I've walked on.

The strap is a very good idea, and good news.

If you've weak ankles, you may find that the staff turns out to be a better solution for you than your poles.

That's actually good news, that it's a sprain and nothing worse -- first day up to Orisson might be hard though, so definitely make an exception and give in to the Jacotrans siren call :p (I wouldn't attempt the full SJPP to Roncesvalles myself on a sprained ankle, though I'd likely be stupid & stubborn enough to carry my pack ... )

Maybe get yourself a very lightweight easily-rolled-up over-the-shoulder super-thin nylon sports bag to carry your daily essentials 'til your sprain heals up ? The imbalance of the over-the-shoulder should help counteract the imbalance from the staff 'til you teach yourself how to use it properly and 'til the imbalance from the sprain stops affecting your gait.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Elisha Above is all good advice, so I’m not going to repeat them. Just get out there and start walking. Maybe the first few days you don’t manage so many kilometers, but go slowly & work out your own rhythm.
And above all, enjoy it. Savour it. You’ve spent so long planning. Now is the time to live in the moment.
Buen Camino. You can do it
Suzanne

I would actually be incredibly surprised if it was a sprain but I’m prepared to keep an open mind. There’s been no swelling or bruising, which I would have expected & it’s now been 10 days since the symptoms started which have only gotten worse. Obviously the doctor I saw has a plethora of experience with these things & my faith is being dampened by the pain I’m in, so I certainly my could be wrong. I just would have expected some improvement by now.

But yes, I’ll take it easy, cut my distances & put my faith in the universe that things will improve. Life has never been a straight line for me; I always seem to go about things the hard way, but I can certainly also say that things always work out in my favor. If it doesn’t here then it’ll definitely be a first.

Hi Elisha
I live in London. I can't see in the thread if they x rayed your foot?
What did the Doctor say about the long distance walk. I presume you saw a specialist?

€149,-
Hi Elisha,

Just take it one step at a time, literally.
In 2015 I could barely walk just prior to my first Camino.
Throwing on my full pack in Paris was the first time I had worn it in about 6 weeks due to back injury.
I barely made it walking 500 metres to my Hotel.
This was not going to be easy

But I was on my way and elated.
Somehow I would make this work.
I had an advantage that I knew what the injury was, and knew what and what not to do.
So I do make sure to get Xrays and ultrasound if you can.

I resolved to enjoy at least one day!
I was only ever trying to make it through Today.....every day.

I made my pack as light as possible, just rain jacket, pants, fleece and water.
Orisson was the first day target. With an EB Pickup to take me back to St Jean.
I prayed before setting out. "Just let me make it through the day, just give me this 1 day on the Camino"........
I was the slowest one on the Hill that day, but so elated to make it after 'just' 3 1/2 hours.
I had taped my achilles, took pain killers and anti-inflammatories, added extra heel supports for the climb, stretched, and stretched again every few hundred metres as required.

On reaching Orisson I iced, raised my feet, stretched, relaxed laying out on the deck. And gave a prayer of thanks for having made it to my day 1 goal.

That was my every day........

Goal, make it through another day. Same routine.......... I had 3 great massages along the way that helped and visited 3 awesome physios who helped assess how I was going and showed me different taping and stretching methods.

I never expected to make it all the way...... And never really thought I would till the last 150 kms or so, By the final 100 kms, I was down to 10 kms a day, the tendonitis was just getting much worse. It took me 40 days.

But the medical advice I sought before starting and along the way, gave me the confidence that I wasn't actually causing permanent damage. (though the tendonitis originally caused through training, is a chronic condition)

I was never able to carry much more than an ultra lite pack, having to ship a large zip nylon bag ahead every day. The extra weight on my Achilles was just too much.

I've just hoisted my full pack this morning. We fly out tomorrow.

I know that feeling in my feet. I won't be able to carry the full pack again :( At least not at first.

But I have my routine and I know what lies ahead. And maybe by the time I reach Pamplona I'll feel able to carry the full weight (8 kg). It would be nice to have that 'freedom'.

But if I can't so be it. I'll be there, on the Camino again! :)

And I know there will always be lots of Plan Bs if things get worse. Bus ahead, take a couple of days off, hire a bike for a few days. Who cares. I'll be there! I just need to make sure I hit the Farmacia in Sarria to stock up enough tape and meds for the final 100 kms. I'll probably be held together my tape by then................but with a huge smile on my face :D

Do what it takes Elisha. But be sensible. Get advice, and if the 'wheels fall off', rest up somewhere a couple of days and reassess. If it comes to the worst, you'll still have amazing experiences and you can come back another time.

Good Luck .............thinking of you
'Aussie Aussie Aussie' !

Anyone know what the going rate on horse rental is on the Camino?! ☺️

You will need MMDD which shows the homes that cater for donkeys / horses ;);)
Bag goes ahead each day , small day pack and a slow pace for the first week , regardless of the schedule planned or as my wife did when walking from Mont St Michel with a sprained ankle .......she taxi'd for 5-6 km .... I always caught up within 2 hours but it forced her to walk her pace , not mine or ours and the days were cut to 16.---18km. We had no company [ 8 pilgrims over 800km ] but she came good [with a brandy]
Hope the Dr was right but things have a strange way of ending up ok ,
Good luck Elisha

Last edited:
Just quickly before I go to sleep, I think might have thought of a more realistic Plan B. Nothing has changed & I don’t feel that waiting around here in London is going to be too helpful either. I’m going to go attempt the first day with my friends, if it’s no good I’ll bus to Pamplona which will cut out the Pyrenees for me, rest for a few days & then rent a bike. I’ve found a company that offers a great package deal which would still see me complete my Camino.... maybe not the way I wanted to but right now that’s not important.

https://www.cycling-rentals.com/camino-14-day-touring-pack.html#.WtZmehbHiaM

I haven’t read anything about cycling the Camino, how difficult it is or how long it takes because it was never part of my plan. If anyone has any advice or can help with any suggestions, I’d be extremely grateful.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I haven't cycled it myself, but my sister cycled after her blisters became too bad to walk. Between Burgos and Leon is pretty flat apart from one big hill. From Pamploma to Burgos there are hills, and places where the path isn't too even, but many people do cycle so I don't think it can be too bad. You will cover a lot more ground per day than walking so that would allow rest days, and maybe you could walk again from Leon.
I believe there are alternative routes cyclists can take, I found when walking that there were places where we would encounter cyclists, and others where we wouldn't see them for days, so I assume they were not taking the same trail.

Elisha,
Have a bex and a good lie down.

1/Get to St JPP
2/Walk to Orisson 7km
3/Next day walk to Col Lepoeder , 12km and order the taxi to Roncesvalles.[ This is very easy to arrange] This avoids the treacherous down hill which will not help your situation in any way.
[The above is only advised in good weather .
If its raining or fog don't even consider.
Get the bus to Pamplona and wait 3 nights for your mates.]

4/ From Roncesvalles walk to Biskarreta , 11km, where a taxi or bus will get you to Zubiri or God forbid Larrasoana which ever one your mates have booked.
** [ If nothing has been booked stay @ Hotel Akerreta , Larrasoana .
Beautiful people , lovely-classy accommodation and without doubt a lift to Pamplona if needed ]
5/ Walk 11km , along the river to Pamplona

Then bus to Puerto la Reina to avoid a not so nice down hill stage and then mate you will know what lies ahead.
"There is a remedy for everything but ....." is a true and old saying.
You are still a flight and a train away from StJPP so lets see how you wake up and please NO decisions until sitting in a coffee shop on the path in under the arch.
Sleep well

Last edited:
Just quickly before I go to sleep, I think might have thought of a more realistic Plan B. Nothing has changed & I don’t feel that waiting around here in London is going to be too helpful either. I’m going to go attempt the first day with my friends, if it’s no good I’ll bus to Pamplona which will cut out the Pyrenees for me, rest for a few days & then rent a bike. I’ve found a company that offers a great package deal which would still see me complete my Camino.... maybe not the way I wanted to but right now that’s not important.

https://www.cycling-rentals.com/camino-14-day-touring-pack.html#.WtZmehbHiaM

I haven’t read anything about cycling the Camino, how difficult it is or how long it takes because it was never part of my plan. If anyone has any advice or can help with any suggestions, I’d be extremely grateful.

Great plan, Elisha! I love your positive attitude and problem-solving approach. I think your idea of walking the first day then moving on to Pamplona is excellent. I haven't cycled it either, but lots on the Forum have - I'm sure some of them will answer here but if not, have a look in the "Biking the Camino" section of the Forum - there's heaps of info there.

NB: Speaking of Pamplona - depending on how the old pain is doing by then, they have excellent medical centres there which have checked out many a pilgrim foot pain, so ask for a recommendation wherever you are staying, if you think a bit more investigation is needed.

Buen (walking/cycling/riding) Camino!

Hi Elisha,

Just take it one step at a time, literally.
In 2015 I could barely walk just prior to my first Camino.
Throwing on my full pack in Paris was the first time I had worn it in about 6 weeks due to back injury.
I barely made it walking 500 metres to my Hotel.
This was not going to be easy

But I was on my way and elated.
Somehow I would make this work.
I had an advantage that I knew what the injury was, and knew what and what not to do.
So I do make sure to get Xrays and ultrasound if you can.

I resolved to enjoy at least one day!
I was only ever trying to make it through Today.....every day.

I made my pack as light as possible, just rain jacket, pants, fleece and water.
Orisson was the first day target. With an EB Pickup to take me back to St Jean.
I prayed before setting out. "Just let me make it through the day, just give me this 1 day on the Camino"........
I was the slowest one on the Hill that day, but so elated to make it after 'just' 3 1/2 hours.
I had taped my achilles, took pain killers and anti-inflammatories, added extra heel supports for the climb, stretched, and stretched again every few hundred metres as required.

On reaching Orisson I iced, raised my feet, stretched, relaxed laying out on the deck. And gave a prayer of thanks for having made it to my day 1 goal.

That was my every day........

Goal, make it through another day. Same routine.......... I had 3 great massages along the way that helped and visited 3 awesome physios who helped assess how I was going and showed me different taping and stretching methods.

I never expected to make it all the way...... And never really thought I would till the last 150 kms or so, By the final 100 kms, I was down to 10 kms a day, the tendonitis was just getting much worse. It took me 40 days.

But the medical advice I sought before starting and along the way, gave me the confidence that I wasn't actually causing permanent damage. (though the tendonitis originally caused through training, is a chronic condition)

I was never able to carry much more than an ultra lite pack, having to ship a large zip nylon bag ahead every day. The extra weight on my Achilles was just too much.

I've just hoisted my full pack this morning. We fly out tomorrow.

I know that feeling in my feet. I won't be able to carry the full pack again :( At least not at first.

But I have my routine and I know what lies ahead. And maybe by the time I reach Pamplona I'll feel able to carry the full weight (8 kg). It would be nice to have that 'freedom'.

But if I can't so be it. I'll be there, on the Camino again! :)

And I know there will always be lots of Plan Bs if things get worse. Bus ahead, take a couple of days off, hire a bike for a few days. Who cares. I'll be there! I just need to make sure I hit the Farmacia in Sarria to stock up enough tape and meds for the final 100 kms. I'll probably be held together my tape by then................but with a huge smile on my face :D

Do what it takes Elisha. But be sensible. Get advice, and if the 'wheels fall off', rest up somewhere a couple of days and reassess. If it comes to the worst, you'll still have amazing experiences and you can come back another time.

Good Luck .............thinking of you
'Aussie Aussie Aussie' !

This message means everything to me Robo, I can’t even begin to express how grateful I am that you took the time to share your experience. I know every situation & every injury is different but like you, if I can just take the fear out of it by offering myself one day at a time it might help. I just wish that I had a diagnosis, it would help to know what I’m dealing with & how best to manage it but I think time may have run out for that. I fly to SJPDP tomorrow, to start walking on Friday. Regardless, I’m going to give myself that first day; I’ll have my pack sent to Orisson, buy a staff & just allow myself one day. I just hope the decision making process once I’m on the Camino feels a lot easier than it is right now.

Thanks again Robo

Buen Camino

I totally agree! Don't overdo it in the beginning -- both the Valcarlos and Pyrenees routes are beautiful but tough. There is nothing wrong with having your pack transported -- it might mean the difference between being able to do the Camino and not. We're on the Frances Route now (Castrojeritz to Fromista) -- my husband is walking the 25 km but I'm taking a break due to some leg problems. It's OK! It's your Camino....and I know it will be wonderful.

Lots of good if at times conflicting advice Elisha, I sprained my ankle badly 3 weeks ago. I actually heard the rip of ligaments!! Gave it 6 days AND I bought new mid height boots rather than walking shoes. Have found them to be so supportive. Now walking 6/7 miles a day. I leave for St. Jean this day week. Good luck
Paul

This message means everything to me Robo, I can’t even begin to express how grateful I am that you took the time to share your experience. I know every situation & every injury is different but like you, if I can just take the fear out of it by offering myself one day at a time it might help. I just wish that I had a diagnosis, it would help to know what I’m dealing with & how best to manage it but I think time may have run out for that. I fly to SJPDP tomorrow, to start walking on Friday. Regardless, I’m going to give myself that first day; I’ll have my pack sent to Orisson, buy a staff & just allow myself one day. I just hope the decision making process once I’m on the Camino feels a lot easier than it is right now.

Thanks again Robo

As mentioned above. Get a proper diagnosis in Pamplona. Medical staff and facilities are great in Spain and along the Camino they are used to treating Pilgrim problems....

Buen Camino Pilgrim.... ;)

So it’s 24hrs now until I fly out to SJPDP & I’ve just confirmed my accommodation. I’ve woken up in London this morning with a new determination to make this work, one way or another. I like the idea of cycling as an option if I’m physically not able to walk, but I’m sure as hell going to try walking before I go down that path.

As a last ditch attempt, I have an appointment with a physio here in an hour. It might not give me any more answers than I have now, but I’m hoping I might be able to get some more advice on strapping or whether my injury will allow me to ride a bike.

It still seems extremely surreal that this my reality right now, but I feel better knowing that there’s still a bit of hope in there somewhere. I’m not ready to wake my white flag yet.

Current state of affairs here in London

Attachments

• 83CFF595-C76D-492B-AC39-AC020A6E97FB.jpeg
    83CFF595-C76D-492B-AC39-AC020A6E97FB.jpeg
    745.5 KB · Views: 73
You have a sterling attitude, Elisha.
Presented with difficulty, you are moving through it without pretending it doesn't bother you or drowning in it.
Walking the way between these, you'll somehow or another get to Santiago.
I hope the physio has answers for you - knowing what you're facing is half the process.
As an ankle sufferer, I feel for you. Question: can you point your toe on that side? And stand tip-toe on one foot (on that injured side)? If not you may have posterior tibial tendonitis, which can hurt like crazy on the inside of the ankle. I ask because I've had this and use KT tape and arch support to good effect. It still hurts but I can keep going.

But none of us can diagnose you from afar - or make the decision for you. The physio will run you through your paces and hopefully can give you a clearer picture of what you face. And then you go from there.

And if you think your camino has not yet begun...think again. ;)
Buen Camino, peregrina - however you go! Thinking of you with all good wishes.

I tried it last year on a bike due to severe neuropathy in my right foot. It was my 7th time to do the Camino. It turned out to be a very bad idea, I could not climb hills, I gave up after a week and started walking.
There plenty of physios along the Camino who deal with pilgrims aches and pains and who can apply the KT tape and train you who to do so yourself. The pharmacists are great with advising about foot issues. One more word: VOLTAREN.

Thanks again Robo

Hi Elisha
I admire your positive outlook and hope you have a great Camino experience even if it's not exactly the one you envisaged.
You mention buying a staff. I have walked with one and also with hiking poles. I find using two poles works better as it also helps the non injured foot on which we place greater loading to compensate. If I use a single staff I also end up with a stiff shoulder on that side.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just got back from the physio. He was really good. Its good news and bad news unfortunately. He used an sonar ultrasound & thinks he found a stress fracture in my ankle. He said that the strapping will have made it worse because it hasn’t allowed me free movement of my calf, so for now I don’t have anything on it. He said the walk would be hard, but it could be done.... maybe. I need to make a conscious effort to stretch my calf frequently, that seems to be the biggest thing & to get a walking staff. I’ve just walked home on it & it was pretty good for the first 15 minutes, but the last 5 minutes was extremely painful; so bad that the pain has made me nauseous & gave me the shakes. I’m not sure if that’s because of where the fracture is & it’s where my shoe hits my ankle, but I’m going to have to troubleshoot it on the first day. I have my Keen hiking sandals so if they’re more comfortable then I could try those. I picked up some stronger pain killers at the pharmacy & some of the anti-stretch tape. He said if I have to tape it, then so be it. So that’s kind of where I’m at. I’m not sure if it’s good or bad; I’m mostly unsure if I’ll be able to make it purely because of how much pain I’m in.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back