• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving on my first Camino in the morning & I'm terrified. Please help!

He used an sonar ultrasound & thinks he found a stress fracture in my ankle.
:eek:
Elisha, if that's really the case...it may be letting go time.
If I were in your shoes I'd get to Pamplona and see someone there for another opinion before I did any serious walking. And listen to the pain. If it is so bad as to make you nauseated...the ankle is trying to tell you something.
I'm so sorry this is how your camino is unfolding. But not to lose hope. There may be a way forward, perhaps using a bike - it'll just take 'thinking sideways' to find out what that is.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have my Keen hiking sandals
Give them a try immediately to see if there is a relief.
If you need 2 pairs , Pamplona has a great shop.
Last 4 years have only worn Ecco sandals [ with socks early if cold ] because of bursitis in the back of my heal.

[QUOTE="Thornley, post: 610789, member: 3306"
]1/Get to St JPP
2/Walk to Orisson 7km
3/Next day walk to Col Lepoeder , 12km and order the taxi to Roncesvalles.[ This is very easy to arrange] This avoids the treacherous down hill which will not help your situation in any way.
[The above is only advised in good weather .
If its raining or fog don't even consider.
Get the bus to Pamplona and wait 3 nights for your mates.]

4/ From Roncesvalles walk to Biskarreta , 11km, where a taxi or bus will get you to Zubiri or God forbid Larrasoana which ever one your mates have booked.
** [ If nothing has been booked stay @ Hotel Akerreta , Larrasoana .
Beautiful people , lovely-classy accommodation and without doubt a lift to Pamplona if needed ]
5/ If staying in Zubiri instead get taxi or hosts to within 11km & walk along the river to Pamplona[/QUOTE]

I would not do more than this , all down hills taken out and you will now know if sandals will suffice

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I tried it last year on a bike due to severe neuropathy in my right foot. It was my 7th time to do the Camino. It turned out to be a very bad idea, I could not climb hills, I gave up after a week and started walking.
While I don't agree that cycling is a "bad idea" in general, it may be for some, and it definitely is NOT a way to avoid walking. I have taken my bike from Estella to Hontanas, and Santiago to Finisterra to Muxia. There have been many places where I had to walk uphill pulling it, or walk downhill because it was too steep for the brakes. And I got a flat tire from going too fast in a rocky area, and had to walk many kilometers to the city (I had no spare tube).

Elisha - thank you for a brave posting - thank you to all the forum memebers who have posted replies with such deep wisdom and experiences. Elisha there is great support for you as expressed by many in this reply string - you will know what to do when you get to the start of your Camino - take one day at a time - enjoy each moment - it is your Camino, it is no one else's, there is no right or wrong way to do this, it is an opportunity to be on a journey toward a greater insight that is beyond the physical with like minded people who care - there are many people who care on the Camino de Santiago they will be there to help when you need the help....Buen Camino

My honest opinion is, find a way to start in Roncevalles and walk very short stages for 3 or 4 days. There are enough places to stay, and even if you look like a "wimp" you are walking and building up your endurance. If you are still in pain jump ahead to Puenta la Reina, take a rest and start all over from there. BTW, I am the one who suggested Voltaren earlier and I use it daily when I walk but it only masks the pain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It absolutely breaks my heart to post this, but in the past few hours it’s finally all come crashing to a head. I won’t be leaving tomorrow on my Camino. The Camino I’ve spent 2 years planning, obsessing over & have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on. All the flights, accommodation, the gear... the endless days of reading books, blogs & course this forum... I won’t be able to get this much leave again from work for years. I can’t give the leave back & now I’m left in the debris of my stupid ankle on the other side of the world from home. I’m beyond devastated & there’s really just no words at this point. My emotional pain is palpable I’m sure.

Since seeing the physio the pain has only increased & if it’s a stress fracture as assumed, I’m acutely aware that walking on it comes with great risk. Therefore I feel as though I’m left with no choice. I can’t believe I’m in this situation, it’s absolutely surreal.

The irony of this whole thing is that I sustained the injury on my way home from the Sydney Pilgrims Meeting 11 days ago. I twisted my ankle coming down off a gutter after the meeting & assumed at the time that it was only superficial. Obviously it wasn’t. I managed it at the time with complete rest, ice & anti inflammatories but none of it was enough. The pain has only increased tenfold & tonight I’m physically in a position where I can barely get myself from the couch to bed.

So here I am in London with a handful of options.

1) I stay here in London with a friend for 4 weeks, get treatment & attempt to meet my friends in Leon on the 11 May. The UK has reciprocated Medicare benefits with Australia so I should be able to get decent care;

2) If it’s not better in 4 weeks, I stay here in London for 6 weeks & meet my friends in Prague. We have 4 nights booked there after the Camino, followed by 3 nights in Dubrovnik & a week sailing trip to Split, flying home on the 17 June;

3) Or, as a Flight Attendant, I can fly home from the UK to Sydney on staff travel for about $450. I cut my loses financially, go home, treat my injury & move on.

Regardless of what I decide, my injury is bad enough at this point that I need to stay put until I can walk easily on my own & get a proper assessment at the hospital. I’m just lucky that I have a friend who is willing to put me up & for that, I’m grateful.

I would have done absolutely anything to get myself out on that Camino tomorrow, but I feel at this point that it’s been completely taken out of my hands; the pain has made the decision for me. I’m well aware that the Camino will always be there, no one has to tell me that much. Right now though, the grieving process is going to take a considerable amount of time.

Last edited:
I can only imagine how sad and disappointed you feel. Because you have the time set aside already, your options may change from day to day on how you wish to proceed. My prayers are with you.

I am so sorry Elisha. Your spirit is inspiring. Please stay connected and keep us informed, because whatever the outcome you are now firmly a pilgrim and a member of this albergue. I am sending you my love, and I am sure others feel the same.
For many years I was unable to go on camino despite desperately wanting to do so. I tried hard to keep myself in the present, and not spend too much time yearning after the impossible. But it was hard. I thought the time would never come. But eventually it did.
The physical camino has been there for a thousand years and will be there for the whole of your lifetime, and will be waiting when the time is right for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am so sorry Elisha. Your spirit is inspiring. Please stay connected and keep us informed, because whatever the outcome you are now firmly a pilgrim and a member of this albergue. I am sending you my love, and I am sure others feel the same.
For many years I was unable to go on camino despite desperately wanting to do so. I tried hard to keep myself in the present, and not spend too much time yearning after the impossible. But it was hard. I thought the time would never come. But eventually it did.
The physical camino has been there for a thousand years and will be there for the whole of your lifetime, and will be waiting when the time is right for you.

Nicely stated, Kanga :)

There are so many Sydneysiders I have know in my life who enjoyed a stay in Europe for a long holiday, I would stay and take advantage of you location and the time away.

:confused:

Some fractures are not so bad they can't be walked on, and it's sad to learn that this isn't your case.

The only bad fracture I've had while on the Camino was a wrist fracture, which was awful enough (it was a fracture in my staff hand), though I was lucky enough in that the Camino provided™ a fellow pilgrim who had the exact right medical straps in his backpack plus the knowledge of how to place them properly (my wrist looked a lot like your ankle, which is why I'm saying this), and I was on my final semi-hiking semi-hitch-hiking journey too so I already had my Compostela at that point. So I did manage, though if I'd had similar in an ankle, it would have been game over.

I'd suggest resting in London at least for a week, then see how things seem next weekend.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
get treatment & attempt to meet my friends in Leon on the 11 May. The UK has reciprocated Medicare benefits with Australia so I should be able to get decent care;

I would try [1] Elisha,
In Leon it will be an emotional reunion but maybe , just maybe in the next 3 weeks things , a miracle perhaps ? might improve for you to at least walk short days with them from that point [ very easy to do]
Get into the Hospital , find out what it is and get well as quick as possible.
Stay in Europe ,
You are in our thoughts .

on a totally unrelated topic Elisha...I love your purple backpack!

Go gently and good luck :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, d**n!! I'm sorry, Elisha.
But I think you have made a wise choice.
Here's a thread from someone who walked in spite of a navicular stress fracture on day 1 of her camino - and wrote the post as a cautionary tale. It's a different injury than yours, but the message is the same: we only have 2 legs and need to listen to them.
The Camino is not going any place. And you will be out there sooner and for a longer time by healing now.
You have come all this way. So go. Meet your friends in Leon. Grieve what was, but also find the joyful places in what is, now. Leon is a fabulous city. If you can go earlier, you can go to Pamplona, Burgos as well - make a pilgrimage by bus or train or car or even bicycle. If it's the latter, though, I would not start at Pamplona. It's a nasty descent from the Alto de Perdon. So start at the bottom of the hill - Uterga or Puente la Reina - both of which would allow you to go to Eunate.

May you heal well, and may a silver lining to this very dark cloud show itself. You never know.
Thinking of you ~ buen Camino, peregrina!
Yours is more challenging journey than most, but deeper because of that.

So sorry @Elisha - this is a devastating blow. I think your option 1 sounds the way to go - rest up then head to León. Maybe you'll be able to travel in less than 4 weeks, so see how it goes with treatment and play it by ear. And yes, the grieving will take time too.

Take care and all the very best.

So sorry to hear the news Elisha. Hopefully over the next few days a plan will emerge whereby you can still enjoy yourself over there

The Camino will wait for you....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The irony of this whole thing is that I sustained the injury on my way home from the Sydney Pilgrims Meeting 11 days ago.

Less than 2 weeks , 3 weeks before Leon

The pain has only increased tenfold & tonight I’m physically in a position where I can barely get myself from the couch to bed.

My son read your posts Elisha, he is a paramedic and runs "The North Face" 100km run in the Blue Mountains every 2 years.
If sprained rest will fix / The flight would not have helped but he asked this question , could it be a ligament?
MRI as quick as you can and good luck,

Something like this happened to one of the other girls at work a couple of years ago. She was talking for months about some walk in Spain (we didn't know about this Camino then) and she stopped going clubbing with us on Fridays so she could go on practice hikes on Saturdays. Anyways, she way overdid it a couple of weeks before her hols and damaged ligaments or something technical in her fett and leg and that was that, she couldn't walk for ages. She decided not to go at all as she said it would spoil it for her if she couldn't walk the whole thing. She got better after a while and did it last year and was so happy to be able to complete it properly and really pleased she had not spoilt it by just going along doing bits and getting transport for the rest. So, she's now infected all of us over the past two years and we're going with her next hols to do it from Portugal as she promised us there's lots of good wine and food on the Camino.
So to Elisha, don't worry if you can't do it this time, a time will come when you can do it properly again and feel great about it and inspire your friends to do it too.

Last edited:
Oh this is so hard! My heart goes out to you. The Camino will be there-- either in 3 of 4 weeks or in a year. I'm glad you have friends to be with.

Kate

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hang in there Elisha. We're all out here thinking of you.

(That caring, the community, the empathy that comes from being together in difficult times, the cameraderie that comes from being together in good times, the open-hearted connection with other pilgrims, and the dropping of all sorts of stuff - physical and otherwise - that is what the camino is. This thread and many others here is one manifestation of that. It brings a lot more joy than a pub crawl. Wait til you see, @miffy. You'll be hooked, like your friend.)

Last edited:
"...she's now infected all of us over the past two years and we're going with her next hols to do it from Portugal as she promised us there's lots of good wine and food on the Camino and that it's really just one big pub crawl kinda thing."

This is off topic-- But that is really not my experience with my pilgrimage on the Camino. Yes-- to the good wine and food, but a "one big pub crawl". No, not my experience or wish.

Last edited:
Hang in there Elisha. We're all out here thinking of you.

(That caring, the community, the empathy that comes from being together in difficult times, the cameraderie that comes from being together in good times, the open-hearted connection with other pilgrims, and the dropping of all sorts of stuff - physical and otherwise - that is what the camino is. This thread and many others here is one manifestation of that. It brings a lot more joy than a pub crawl. Wait til you see, @miffy. You'll be hooked, like your friend.)

Hi, thanks for the information and message. I deleted the bit that was offensive. I don't want to offend anybody...just happy and stoked to be going on me hols with the girls to this interesting new place. Only been to Ibiza and Benidorm previously and not on the walking part so it'll be nice to see what the country bits are like too. xx

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So it’s 24hrs now until I fly out to SJPDP & I’ve just confirmed my accommodation. I’ve woken up in London this morning with a new determination to make this work, one way or another. I like the idea of cycling as an option if I’m physically not able to walk, but I’m sure as hell going to try walking before I go down that path.

As a last ditch attempt, I have an appointment with a physio here in an hour. It might not give me any more answers than I have now, but I’m hoping I might be able to get some more advice on strapping or whether my injury will allow me to ride a bike.

It still seems extremely surreal that this my reality right now, but I feel better knowing that there’s still a bit of hope in there somewhere. I’m not ready to wake my white flag yet.
Yay for you !!!! Sending positive energy your way!!! I’m starting in a week and slowly the nerves are starting !!!

I had similar pian/injury after my second Camino. I don't want to give medical advice I'm just going to share what worked for me. Compression socks and a good insert with instep support. Planter fascitis(sp) can put strain on the achilees which in turn can aggravate calf and shin pain. Get a mini tennis ball golf ball or something of similar size and roll you foot over it to keep the tendons of the foot relaxed. If you issue was similar to mine you may find some relief. Praying for you healing.
Or a glass softdrink bottle works - it hurts as you stretch the tendon out but it releases the pain from the ankle , knee or even hip that comes from this. See if yoj can get a decent orthotic in London

Elisha,
I can feel your frustration and pain. I wish you well and hope that you recover quickly and completely and that you find another opportunity to walk the Camino. Finally I hope that you can learn something about yourself or life from your current situation that will help you on your life's journey. Buen Camino (for the next time).
Aidan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So a week has gone by now since I had to make the decision to pull out starting my camino in SJPDP with my friends. It’s been a really rough week here in London, but after a lot of appointments and troubleshooting I finally got a diagnosis on my ankle. I’ve developed Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome after originally twisting my ankle. It’s very similar to Carpal Tunnel actually, which I never imagined you could develop in your ankle, but here we are! I’ve had some dry needling, physio & been given exercises, which have started to finally pay off. As a result, I’ve just booked my flight to join my friends on the Camino this Saturday in Logrono! I’m still tentative about my ankle, but if it keeps improving then by Sunday I imagine I’ll be good to go.

I’m currently trying to reshuffle all my plans, now flying into Bilbao on Saturday afternoon. Just curious if anyone has any transport recommendations to get down to Logrono as I’m having trouble finding much in the way of buses?

Also, I’m looking for a luggage courier to transport my second bag to Satiago, but again, I’m having trouble finding a company in Logroño. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks again for all your support & help over the past few weeks, you’ve all been wonderful!

Elisha

So a week has gone by now since I had to make the decision to pull out starting my camino in SJPDP with my friends. It’s been a really rough week here in London, but after a lot of appointments and troubleshooting I finally got a diagnosis on my ankle. I’ve developed Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome after originally twisting my ankle. It’s very similar to Carpal Tunnel actually, which I never imagined you could develop in your ankle, but here we are! I’ve had some dry needling, physio & been given exercises, which have started to finally pay off. As a result, I’ve just booked my flight to join my friends on the Camino this Saturday in Logrono! I’m still tentative about my ankle, but if it keeps improving then by Sunday I imagine I’ll be good to go.

I’m currently trying to reshuffle all my plans, now flying into Bilbao on Saturday afternoon. Just curious if anyone has any transport recommendations to get down to Logrono as I’m having trouble finding much in the way of buses?

Also, I’m looking for a luggage courier to transport my second bag to Satiago, but again, I’m having trouble finding a company in Logroño. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks again for all your support & help over the past few weeks, you’ve all been wonderful!

Elisha
I'm so pleased for you, enjoy your Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Just for Kanga i will offer this advice;
Saturday trains @ 6.30 am
Sunday @ 6.30 am or 5.20pm and both take 2.30 hours
Buses take 8 hours as they go via Burgos.
** Bla Bla car , which can be organised in advance through your hotel will leave @ 11.30 am and take 1.30 hours
Train is 14e first class , car is 10 euro.

Two of our favourite stays are ahead in Ventosa and Santo Domingo .
If you are struggling and feeling any pain @ Belarado get the bus and save 3 days of uninteresting, roadside walking into Burgos.
If you are struggling on the first day , do short days and still bus @ Belarado [ many do] as the days from Burgos will be a few extra km's than normal.

my second bag
HRH normally purchases such in Madrid , San Sebastian or Paris after we finish and then fills to the brim.;)

Last edited:
Not sure why Thornley writes as he does.
Bus service by http://cuadrabuslineas.com/en/ : checked just now - schedules list 1730 and 1830 (on Saturday 28 April) with seats available on both ; can purchase online. Journey time is 1 hr 45 mins but 2 hrs 05 mins for the later service. The last bus of the day seems to be at 2030.
Correos will transport your second bag but offices will not be open until Monday.

PS : re all your medical trouble : "if it hurts, don't do it" i.e. be prepared to back off. Good luck.

Elisha, you may be suffering from what happens when a Marathon runner starts to Taper coming up to a marathon. It has happened to me before the two marathons I did. I had every kind of a niggle and was convinced I wasn't going to be able to walk either but on the day of the Marathon everything came around and except for back pain from my 4 bulging discs, I didn't have the other phantom aches and pains I had prior to the race.

If it is a thing that you are still suffering, make sure and get your bag collected for €3.00 a day and at least that will make the walking a bit easier for you. Use the Poles, I found them fantastic when we did 144km of the Camino Frances last October. If you find that you can't walk at any stage, use transport to get to where you are meeting your two friends and then you can go back walking with them when your leg comes right again.

I wish you the Best of luck and make sure that you come back on and let us know how it is going for you.

Buen Camino!
Yes , I have a physiotherapist friend and he is so busy before the city marathon and no as busy afterwards with all the niggles just before the off. Best of luck

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It absolutely breaks my heart to post this, but in the past few hours it’s finally all come crashing to a head. I won’t be leaving tomorrow on my Camino. The Camino I’ve spent 2 years planning, obsessing over & have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on. All the flights, accommodation, the gear... the endless days of reading books, blogs & course this forum... I won’t be able to get this much leave again from work for years. I can’t give the leave back & now I’m left in the debris of my stupid ankle on the other side of the world from home. I’m beyond devastated & there’s really just no words at this point. My emotional pain is palpable I’m sure.

Since seeing the physio the pain has only increased & if it’s a stress fracture as assumed, I’m acutely aware that walking on it comes with great risk. Therefore I feel as though I’m left with no choice. I can’t believe I’m in this situation, it’s absolutely surreal.

The irony of this whole thing is that I sustained the injury on my way home from the Sydney Pilgrims Meeting 11 days ago. I twisted my ankle coming down off a gutter after the meeting & assumed at the time that it was only superficial. Obviously it wasn’t. I managed it at the time with complete rest, ice & anti inflammatories but none of it was enough. The pain has only increased tenfold & tonight I’m physically in a position where I can barely get myself from the couch to bed.

So here I am in London with a handful of options.

1) I stay here in London with a friend for 4 weeks, get treatment & attempt to meet my friends in Leon on the 11 May. The UK has reciprocated Medicare benefits with Australia so I should be able to get decent care;

2) If it’s not better in 4 weeks, I stay here in London for 6 weeks & meet my friends in Prague. We have 4 nights booked there after the Camino, followed by 3 nights in Dubrovnik & a week sailing trip to Split, flying home on the 17 June;

3) Or, as a Flight Attendant, I can fly home from the UK to Sydney on staff travel for about $450. I cut my loses financially, go home, treat my injury & move on.

Regardless of what I decide, my injury is bad enough at this point that I need to stay put until I can walk easily on my own & get a proper assessment at the hospital. I’m just lucky that I have a friend who is willing to put me up & for that, I’m grateful.

I would have done absolutely anything to get myself out on that Camino tomorrow, but I feel at this point that it’s been completely taken out of my hands; the pain has made the decision for me. I’m well aware that the Camino will always be there, no one has to tell me that much. Right now though, the grieving process is going to take a considerable amount of time.
I am so sorry you are having to go through this after so much planning. I have a daughter in Tunbridge wells if you need a place to stay

So happy for you that you are getting to experience the Camino. I'm sorry I have no advice on transport to Logrono, I just wanted to wish you a safe trip and a buen Camino. Ultreia.

I mentioned Correos for bag transport and said "offices will not be open until Monday" forgetting that May 1st is a public holiday...so no Correos negotiations until Tuesday.

I guess I am focused on next Monday (7th), a holiday in the UK ,when we fly to Seville to begin cycling on Tuesday on the Via de la Plata.

Elisha, I trust that your transport worked out yesterday?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Elisha, this is such good news.
No fracture! And you are on your way - assuming you made it to Logrono.
You can take it easy as there are plenty of towns along the way if you feel the need to walk short stages.
And you can transfer your bags stage by stage until Tuesday, when Correos opens up again.
Buen Camino, peregrina!

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

So amazingly, the past 2 years of planning for my first Camino have gone extraordinarily quickly & the time has come to jump on a plane tomorrow morning at 6am, bound for the Camino Frances. I start walking with 2 friends on Thursday & instead of being excited, I'm absolutely terrified & it feels awfully unfair.

Unfortunately for me, in the past week I've developed an awful pain in my right inner ankle that seems to be radiating up into my shin. The pain is dull, it aches & I’m wondering if maybe it could be shin splints? The first 3 days I wrote it off as a niggle, the day after the pain increased tenfold, I got scared & made a flurry of appointments to try & have it seen to. Sadly time has run out, I haven't been able to have it scanned & all I've achieved has been an appointment with a podiatrist & a sports massage therapist to no avail of my pain. I've tried everything; I've spent hours icing it, keeping it elevated, resting it, taking prescription anti-inflammatories, pain killers... all the while, trying not to cry while I have visions of my first Camino being over before it even starts.

I'm 35, I've never had ankle issues before & there was nothing that's happened that should have caused me to be in pain. I can still walk without limping, it doesn't hurt to walk per say, but the more I use it, the more the ache increases throughout my lower leg & remains. It's definitely an ache rather than a sharp pain & I have absolutely no idea how it's going to react next week when I start walking. I've just never had anything like this before & it's awful.

I know I have options on the Camino in terms of luggage transfer etc, but I'm guessing that if it doesn't improve once I get to Pamplona then I'm going to be left to make a really difficult decision. I've used all my annual leave at work to do this, flights are booked, people are relying on me & the Camino is my dream; the thought of not being able to walk it makes me feel physically sick.

I know there's nothing anyone can do for me at this point, time is going to tell and my leg is going to do, what it's going to do. I've kept reminding myself what a difference a week makes, but after a week & with the pain only increasing, it's starting to feel like empty hope. I suppose I just need to vent because the burden of it with leaving tomorrow feels so overwhelming :(

A sad pilgrim
E
xx

Hi Elisha,

How is it going with the calf?
I feel with you since I also got quite the same problem with my calf. I am 32. I takes long time for heal at least for me.

You already started by now, however, I think for everyone preparing for the camino, with problem or not, it is good to do different kind of heel raises exercises. I had problem last two days and did parts of the camino. Hopefully I will get stronger for my next camino in August.

Buen camino!

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

So amazingly, the past 2 years of planning for my first Camino have gone extraordinarily quickly & the time has come to jump on a plane tomorrow morning at 6am, bound for the Camino Frances. I start walking with 2 friends on Thursday & instead of being excited, I'm absolutely terrified & it feels awfully unfair.

Unfortunately for me, in the past week I've developed an awful pain in my right inner ankle that seems to be radiating up into my shin. The pain is dull, it aches & I’m wondering if maybe it could be shin splints? The first 3 days I wrote it off as a niggle, the day after the pain increased tenfold, I got scared & made a flurry of appointments to try & have it seen to. Sadly time has run out, I haven't been able to have it scanned & all I've achieved has been an appointment with a podiatrist & a sports massage therapist to no avail of my pain. I've tried everything; I've spent hours icing it, keeping it elevated, resting it, taking prescription anti-inflammatories, pain killers... all the while, trying not to cry while I have visions of my first Camino being over before it even starts.

I'm 35, I've never had ankle issues before & there was nothing that's happened that should have caused me to be in pain. I can still walk without limping, it doesn't hurt to walk per say, but the more I use it, the more the ache increases throughout my lower leg & remains. It's definitely an ache rather than a sharp pain & I have absolutely no idea how it's going to react next week when I start walking. I've just never had anything like this before & it's awful.

I know I have options on the Camino in terms of luggage transfer etc, but I'm guessing that if it doesn't improve once I get to Pamplona then I'm going to be left to make a really difficult decision. I've used all my annual leave at work to do this, flights are booked, people are relying on me & the Camino is my dream; the thought of not being able to walk it makes me feel physically sick.

I know there's nothing anyone can do for me at this point, time is going to tell and my leg is going to do, what it's going to do. I've kept reminding myself what a difference a week makes, but after a week & with the pain only increasing, it's starting to feel like empty hope. I suppose I just need to vent because the burden of it with leaving tomorrow feels so overwhelming :(

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

A sad pilgrim
E
xx
So sorry to read your story Elisha, my husband developed shin splints well in the 800kms and found relief by using Rock Tape which we bought at a pharmacy along the road and applied it via phone instructions from our beautiful friend, an exercise professional in Perth. Kept it on the last 400 plus kms

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know how you are feeling. I leave for my Camino in just over a week. I used to get shin splits in track. I would suggest stay plenty hydrated. Stretch calf every not ing and evening. If you come across and flat parts to walk - try walk a little bit on your heels. Also invest in calf compression sleeve

Its been now 2 weeks since the OP's last e/m for help
She was walking from Logrono on 29/4 , 11 days ago ,
Obviously she is well and no further troubles have occurred.

Its been now 2 weeks since the OP's last e/m for help
She was walking from Logrono on 29/4, 11 days ago. Obviously she is well and no further troubles have occurred.
I wouldn't assume all is well. I've seen many pilgrims continue to walk when others are advising them to rest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, I made it to Logrono, all the logistics worked out & I’m now here messaging from Leon after walking in at around lunchtime. I can’t believe I’ve made it this far & every day I’m just so thrilled to be here.

That being said, starting in Logrono with an injury has caused new injuries along The Way, while my original injury has healed. I have terrible lateral foot pain, I assume because of overcompensating, but I’ve managed it with tape, buying a new pair of boots in Burgos & an incredible amount of red wine! Some days have been incredibly painful but it’s continued to surprise me just how deep I can dig & how many people out here would give you their last plaster just to see you take one more step. I’m so I ncredibly changed from being out here & although my Camino doesn’t look anything at all what I thought it would while I was planning it, it’s been the experience of a lifetime & I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

So, I’m going to enjoy a much needed rest day here in Leon tomorrow before walking forth with my Camino family on Monday. Hopefully with a bit of rest I’ll get stronger & the next two weeks might feel a little easier than what I’ve been through up until this point. That being said, who the hell knows what the Camino has in mind for me!

hat being said, who the hell knows what the Camino has in mind for me!

Not just you Elisha , everyone.
Thats why the less planning the better.
Enjoy the latter stages.

I totally agree! Don't overdo it in the beginning -- both the Valcarlos and Pyrenees routes are beautiful but tough. There is nothing wrong with having your pack transported -- it might mean the difference between being able to do the Camino and not. We're on the Frances Route now (Castrojeritz to Fromista) -- my husband is walking the 25 km but I'm taking a break due to some leg problems. It's OK! It's your Camino....and I know it will be wonderful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back