• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving pack in refugio while out eating - good idea?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
What do pilgrims usually do with their packs after arriving at a refugio, showering and then going out to eat/look around?

Obviously I would take money, tickets with me, but I was considering leaving my pack (locked) in the refugio, to mark my bed if nothing else. Is this generally a good or bad idea? If a bad idea, how do you secure your gear without taking the pack when going out.

Regards

Bob M

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What's with all this locking business??

Am I naive in thinking that my pack, clothes and soap will be safe in the hostels? Obviously makes sense to take care with passport, money and electrical equipment.

My guide book mentions some problems with petty theft in hostels in/close to large towns (as you would expect in any country) and it makes sense to take some extra care there.

But I've seen pictures of packs stacked up outside hostels waiting for them to open. I like the idea of trusting fellow peregrinos and people respecting that you're on a pilgrimage.

Mercury

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm wondering about this too. How would you lock your backpack??

I think I will just take my valuables with me when leaving the hostel to take a stroll or to go eat sth. And leave the rest behind. If somebody wants to steal something then so be it ........

You can't always secure everything?

Or am I too naive?

Backpacks

I tried to add two photographs of backpack queues to the album but they are too large.

If you arrive at an albergue that is closed, you put your backpack down on the pavement/road and ............... walk away!! Yeah - you leave it in the queue and go looking for food/sightseeing etc.

When the albergues opens you all traipse in, queue up to write your details (name, country, where you started etc) in the register, get a stamp in your book, find your bed (some places allot beds), put your backpack on the bed and ......................... walk away!! You can either go for a shower/wash clothes or have a siesta.

If you read posts on this or any other forum, the most sleepless nights are over what to pack and how to lighten the load. Nobody wants to steal your stuff and have to carry it!

For me, coming from a country with one of the highest crime rates in the world, that was a HUGE lesson - to trust people.

ALWAYS take your valuables with you and strap them to the bed when you sleep.

I tried to add two photographs of backpack queues to the album but they are too large.

When I upgrade to the new server (some time after summer) I will set up a better photo album. The one we have now is not really a great solution...

Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I go to my (assigned) bed, take out my sleeping bag, lay it on my bed, leaving my backpack on top of it, or on the floor next to the bed. Then, I may wash clothes, take a shower, or a nap, usually the first. Wherever I go I take my kidney belt with me, that's where I have valuables such as money, passport, etc. Best, xm

There was one isolated instance of theft on my Camino last year, but I'd still leave my pack at the refuge. I'd still leave it in a bag queue. 99.9 percent of people can be trusted.

Oh, XM's reminded me of one very valuable point. Make sure you DO roll out your sleeping bag on your designated bed. In Hospital de la Cruz I experienced some of the least pilgrim-like behaviour when a young guy of maybe 30 ousted a fella from his place in a refuge purely because he hadn't placed his sleeping bag on his bed, by the time the poor fella came back from his shower, this like oik had stolen his bed. Not nice at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What's the point of locking a backpack? All you need is a good knife if you really want to get whatever is inside.

Look at it as you would luggage you check on the plane & what you carryon with you. Important stuff (passport, meds, money, credit/debit cards) & electronics (Ipod, camera), maybe guidebooks too, should be on your person (or as close to it as possible) at all times. The rest? Well, if someone wants my dirty clothes, they can have at. At least I won't have to do laundry that day. :lol:

dg

I used a small over the shoulder bag (like a little pouch) that I could stick in my pack. Then when I wanted to go somewhere I'd take the smaller pouch. bumbag will be the same sort of thing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Locked or not, if someone wants to rob u, there ain't nothin' to stop 'em. Besides, they weigh :lol:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thx for excellent info

:D Thx to those who posted in this thread. Very helpful.

Seems that theft is no big deal. But I will still lock my pack.

Sure, someone can go to work on it with a knife, but that implies a motivation to get at something valuable that the thief thinks is inside and is willing to risk discovery to steal.

It's hard to fake a plausible excuse if sprung wielding a knife, but who is going to question a stranger opening an unlocked pack? A lock will deter the opportunistic "forager".

Regards

Bob M

There won't be anything in my pack that I won't be able to replace with the cash/cards that I will be carrying with me. If someone wants it bad enough to risk discovery they can have it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that, as with bugs and dogs popping up on the caminos, it's just a matter of developing an awareness, in this case re: theft. That's all. Be aware. What to do about them as all else is totally personal. I have never seen any thefts, myself. Once, though, a pilgrim at the albergue in Burgos said that his passport had been stolen. Could have happened, no doubt. But it was there and then that I heard info re: the trafficking of passports, in detail, which I had never heard of, before. So, who knows what happened there. I never leave anything of importance, to me, in my "rrumsakk", always carry it inside my "riñonera" (kidney belt) even when taking a shower :!: Best, xm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back