Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Ponferrada on Tuesday

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have a lovely time, peregrina! Yes, I would be very tempted to join you !😎
But I’m leaving on July 8th to walk to Rome again (from Gd St Bernard).
Buen camino and ultreia!🙂

Buen camino to you from Norway! Enjoy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be starting the Invierno on Tuesday June 25. If anyone else is in the neighborhood, let me know.
I will be starting in an unconventional way. Day 1 to peñalba De Santiago. Day 2 to As Médulas.
Peñalba is one is Spain’s most beautiful little villages, IMO. Anyone tempted?
Yes we will be leaving the same morning from Ponferrada
The pictures of that village are amazing but we've already booked the Casa Soccoro in Las Medulas for the 25th..you will catch us up in no time though.
And most likely we'll be glued to your forum guide!!
Annette

From what I could find on maps.me, the route to Penalba seems to be south of Ponferrada and I can see no obvious route from there to join the Invierno. Without a gps, I would likely get lost in the mountains that appear on my map. I am used to mountain walking, but not without a clear marked route. Enjoy your walk and I shall follow on the Invierno in October-November.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be starting the Invierno on Tuesday June 25. If anyone else is in the neighborhood, let me know.
I will be starting in an unconventional way. Day 1 to peñalba De Santiago. Day 2 to As Médulas.
Peñalba is one is Spain’s most beautiful little villages, IMO. Anyone tempted?
I've only just got back, Laurie, but it's very tempting . . . . . . . . .

You never know, I might just drive up to O Barco or A Rúa or Monforte to accompany you for a couple of days!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've only just got back, Laurie, but it's very tempting . . . . . . . . .
We
You never know, I might just drive up to O Barco or A Rúa or Monforte to accompany you for a couple of days!
I will let you know my plan once I make it. I will be walking long stages except if I can manage to squeeze in a short day to Torre Vilariño to walk around like VN did. As you know I’ve wanted to see that bend in the Miño for years!!! But I’ll have a better idea once I get to as Médulas.

From what I could find on maps.me, the route to Penalba seems to be south of Ponferrada and I can see no obvious route from there to join the Invierno. Without a gps, I would likely get lost in the mountains that appear on my map. I am used to mountain walking, but not without a clear marked route. Enjoy your walk and I shall follow on the Invierno in October-November.
Hi Albertagirl. The trail goes from Ponferrada to Montes de Valdeusa to As Médulas. It’s about 33 km. The woman who owns the place where I’m staying in Peñalba says the trail is open and in good condition, but I would not do it without a GPS. Rebekah walked it years ago, which is how I learned about it.

Ps. Here are the wikiloc tracks. Even if you don’t use a GPS, you can see the map of where it goes. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/las-medulas-penalba-de-santiago-816476

Last edited:
I will be walking long stages except if I can manage to squeeze in a short day to Torre Vilariño to walk around like VN did. As you know I’ve wanted to see that bend in the Miño for years!!!
It's definitely worth seeing, and no need to go to the old mirador, unless you want a nice look at the church from above. The view of the river from the winery (where I took my pics) is not from as high up, but it's fine.
Hee heee...And the payback for that little track I posted, Laurie, will be for you to find my credencial. ;););)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will let you know my plan once I make it. I will be walking long stages except if I can manage to squeeze in a short day to Torre Vilariño to walk around like VN did. As you know I’ve wanted to see that bend in the Miño for years!!! But I’ll have a better idea once I get to as Médulas.
Laurie, if you do go to Torre Vilariño, about 200 metres down the road is the fantastic Ecomuseo Arxeriz, http://ecomuseodearxeriz.org/
a site specific museum preserving the history and culture of the people of the Miño. There is a castro there, currently under excavation - you can walk through it and from the top is a great view of the bend in the Miño! It’s really worth a visit.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I left Ponferrada this morning, and had a very strenuous but overall 5***** walk to Peñalba. I got there just in time for a visit to the amazing 10 century church. After a walk around the village and contemplating my options, I decided to hitch a ride back to Ponferrada.

I hadn’t downloaded GPS tracks for the walk to As Médulas from Peñalba, and based on my experience today ( very remote, no cell service) I decided to forego the Peñalba to Médulas adventure. Instead I’ll just walk the regular Invierno route to As Médulas tomorrow.

Met up with Annette and hubby as we were all walking the “wrong way” on the camino early this morning. So they will be a day ahead of me but I hope we coincide again.

Attachments

• D34418F1-C1A1-4CE0-8351-EA68CCDB99D2.jpeg
    D34418F1-C1A1-4CE0-8351-EA68CCDB99D2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 57B5833E-7799-416F-9A2F-122989C30B45.jpeg
    57B5833E-7799-416F-9A2F-122989C30B45.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 01531C37-54CA-44D1-AB06-FBA37DD486A8.jpeg
    01531C37-54CA-44D1-AB06-FBA37DD486A8.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 7780E1C1-1BF4-455E-A43C-9CA36B9469FB.jpeg
    7780E1C1-1BF4-455E-A43C-9CA36B9469FB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • A236A145-A0A6-45E7-A273-DB533934263D.jpeg
    A236A145-A0A6-45E7-A273-DB533934263D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • C7057706-6C50-442D-8117-2C6809D5D8FC.jpeg
    C7057706-6C50-442D-8117-2C6809D5D8FC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 695FAB5E-B66B-4C68-B318-1B0185A506FC.jpeg
    695FAB5E-B66B-4C68-B318-1B0185A506FC.jpeg
    790.8 KB · Views: 13
  • E52446E1-0038-4AA1-A005-9EF0FFFEBAF5.jpeg
    E52446E1-0038-4AA1-A005-9EF0FFFEBAF5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

€60,-
I see you still insist on writing As Médulas, Laurie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's LAS, but if you allow me I'll start referring to As Vegas in your country!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p

Great photos, but I can understand why you decided to get back to Ponferrada today.

Enjoy tomorrow's stage, and believe everything I have told you about places to stop en route if you need to.

Buen Camino!

I see you still insist on writing As Médulas, Laurie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's LAS, but if you allow me I'll start referring to As Vegas in your country!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p

Great photos, but I can understand why you decided to get back to Ponferrada today.

Enjoy tomorrow's stage, and believe everything I have told you about places to stop en route if you need to.

Buen Camino!
I think we had that argument once a few years ago. 😄😁😃I don’t have a dog in this fight but I have been told by numerous people that that is what everyone calls it.

I will do some field research tomorrow and report back.

I think we had that argument once a few years ago. 😄😁😃I don’t have a dog in this fight but I have been told by numerous people that that is what everyone calls it.

I will do some field research tomorrow and report back.
What is interesting is that everyone refers to A Pobra do Brollón by its Castilian name, Puebla! But you won't find many Bercianos talking about As Médulas, and I very much doubt whether you'll come across a single road sign with the name of the village in Gallego.

Money on it? Or at least a glass of wine?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is interesting is that everyone refers to A Pobra do Brollón by its Castilian name, Puebla! But you won't find many Bercianos talking about As Médulas, and I very much doubt whether you'll come across a single road sign with the name of the village in Gallego.

Hand shake, you’re on. I am sure all the official signs say “las” but people tell me everyone says “as.” I’ll let you know tomorrow.

This is s conundrum for our guide. 😂😂

As /Las Medulas is located inside the Galician speaking area of El Bierzo. I spoke in Galego with locals years ago, so As Medulas is the original name though Las Medulas is the official.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I actually didn't know that at all. I always thought it was As Medulas. Thanks everybody for info!
Anyway I really like to use "original" transcription of the names especially where people speaking that language are so few, like Galego, Basque or Catalan. Same with Fisterra vs Finisterre.

Oh, if you thought I heard Catalan and Basque in Bierzo that surely wasn't my intention because I didn't. But you know "when in Rome..."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many people call A Ponte (Galego) to Puente de Domingo Florez, that by the way is not El Bierzo. It is La Cabrera.
Taken from Wikipedia:

En la actualidad la lengua predominante es el castellano, pero con importante influencia, y presencia del leonés en su variante local conocida como cabreirés. En menor proporción también se habla un dialecto oriental del gallego en casi la totalidad del Ayuntamiento del Puente de Domingo Flórez, siendo el habla de la localidad de Castroquilame de transición entre el gallego oriental y el cabreirés.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Taken from Wikipedia:

En la actualidad la lengua predominante es el castellano, pero con importante influencia, y presencia del leonés en su variante local conocida como cabreirés. En menor proporción también se habla un dialecto oriental del gallego en casi la totalidad del Ayuntamiento del Puente de Domingo Flórez, siendo el habla de la localidad de Castroquilame de transición entre el gallego oriental y el cabreirés.
From my experience, in La Cabrera everybody speaks Castilian with the exception of Puente de Domingo Florez (Galego) and La Baña (Astur-Leonés).

It's definitely worth seeing, and no need to go to the old mirador, unless you want a nice look at the church from above. The view of the river from the winery (where I took my pics) is not from as high up, but it's fine.
Hee heee...And the payback for that little track I posted, Laurie, will be for you to find my credencial. ;););)
Hi VN, I can’t find the post with the tracks. I am wondering if I could get them on my phone or at least have a screen shot. You say you went clockwise, but wouldn’t that put the mirador and Fion at thee d?

Here it is, Laurie:
Here's a screenshot of the loop, Laurie, for quick reference; San Martiño is O Priorato on the map, and the little sqiggle that goes into the middle of the circle is the way to Mirador Cabo do Mondo:
Screenshot_20190610-194203_Wikiloc.jpg
I went left at the first intersection; honestly if I were to do it again, I'd go down counter-clockwise, via Fion, then to the view near the winery, then to the church and back the same way. The view opens up in front of you that way.
But then you'd be walking on the opposite side of the road from where the credencial might be hiding... ;)
(The track should show for you in wikiloc under my name, same one as here...and the mirador i went to first was the old one at the top of the hill...)

Last edited:
Here it is, Laurie:

I went left at the first intersection; honestly if I were to do it again, I'd go down counter-clockwise, via Fion, then to the view near the winery, then to the church and back the same way. The view opens up in front of you that way.
But then you'd be walking on the opposite side of the road from where the credencial might be hiding... ;)
(The track should show for you in wikiloc under my name, same one as here...and the mirador i went to first was the old one at the top of the hill...)
So what is the point that says mirador? A different one?

The 'old' mirador - the one that gives a nice bird's-eye view of the church but no longer the best view of the river - is at the end of the squiggle where the track goes to the middle of the loop, right above and to the left of where it says 'O Pousadeiro.'

The mirador labelled on the wikiloc track is the one on the road near the winery that I was talking about.

My cynical mind says the first view is better but doesn't attract business to anyone. A pity it's not being maintained, and that the winery now has a corner on the mirador market.

The 'old' mirador - the one that gives a nice bird's-eye view of the church but no longer the best view of the river - is at the end of the squiggle where the track goes to the middle of the loop, right above and to the left of where it says 'O Pousadeiro.'

The mirador labelled on the wikiloc track is the one on the road near the winery that I was talking about.

My cynical mind says the first view is better but doesn't attract business to anyone. A pity it's not being maintained, and that the winery now has a corner on the mirador market.
Thanks VN. I am going to try to use the wikiloc tracks on my phone in preparation for the great transition from Garmin to phone.

I found the phone worked just fine. I was worried that the battery would drain, but it never did. And I could use it offline (I still can't figure out how Wikiloc worķs offline; I was using OSMand and a wikilo track as an overlay).
I have to say...egg on face...I'm converted.

I still can't figure out how Wikiloc worķs offline; ; I was using OSMand and a wikiloc track as an overlay.
Hi VN, I always wondered that also. Wikiloc says on their website that it's because the built-in GPS works off satellites, not cell towers. (Or were you asking a different question?)

Now I have a question for you: I've never used the OSMand app. Is there a difference between the background map OSMand supplies and the openstreetmap-based background map that Wikiloc provides to download for offline use in Spain?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi VN, I always wondered that also.
I wasn't actually thinking of that when I wrote this - it's a more stupid question than that. I meant that I can't figure out how to get my wikkloc app to work offline.
Is there a difference between the background map OSMand supplies and the openstreetmap-based background map that Wikiloc provides to download for offline use in Spain?
Yes, a bit. It looks like this (the turquoise line is a wikiloc track.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190629-083644_OsmAnd.jpg
    Screenshot_20190629-083644_OsmAnd.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Buen Camino Laurie. Where are you now?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back