• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Porto 8th June

annakappa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
We arrived yesterday and spent most of the afternoon and all today visiting various places and generally walking around ( today we walked almost 16 kms)!
The sello is available at the Cathedral, but we could only get it after the 11 o'clock Mass. There is no information posted. You have to hope to find someone.
Our of curiousity, we decided to try and follow the yellow arrows, starting at the Cathedral and our first attempt was a failure! We tried again later in the day and, although there was one "blind spot" with no visible arrow, after walking in what we felt might be the correct direction, we then spotted one. Shortly further on, there was again a doubtful situation, which again called for intuition. In other words, a treasure hunt. We only walked a couple of kms from the Cathedral, but frankly, you really need your wits about you!
Tomorrow we will take the Coastal route out of town.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We arrived yesterday and spent most of the afternoon and all today visiting various places and generally walking around ( today we walked almost 16 kms)!
The sello is available at the Cathedral, but we could only get it after the 11 o'clock Mass. There is no information posted. You have to hope to find someone.
Our of curiousity, we decided to try and follow the yellow arrows, starting at the Cathedral and our first attempt was a failure! We tried again later in the day and, although there was one "blind spot" with no visible arrow, after walking in what we felt might be the correct direction, we then spotted one. Shortly further on, there was again a doubtful situation, which again called for intuition. In other words, a treasure hunt. We only walked a couple of kms from the Cathedral, but frankly, you really need your wits about you!
I will fly into Porto on Tuesday morning so will be a day behind you,but may catch you up as I hope to start walking same day.I will look out for you.Bom Camino.

Anna. As long as you keep the river at your right and walk in the direction of the "parque das Naçoes" the former World exhibition area you walk in the right direction. Landmarks are the Santa Apolonia railwaystation and the tilemuseum, museo dos Azulejos, which are nearby and on the caminho so when you ask ,everybody knows these places.
Direction parque das Naçoes you will find the waymarkers direction Sacavèm.

Oops ... you are not in Lisbon but in Porto I see now.

Same here... Keep the river Douro at your left side all the time. Untill you come at the ocean. Here keep the ocean at your left side . The promenade is the caminho.
Arriving in Matosinhos is a bit complcated to find the waymarkers but ask for "metro stop Mercado"
There you see the bridge , walk over the bridge and at the end tun to the left and walk untill you see the ocean again and keep this at your left to Vila do Conde. All waymarked caminho

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
happy happy trails - bom caminho annakappa and fraluchi!
curious to hear/read about your tales on the portuguese caminho.
wishing you a fine start, well placed steps and good balance and enjoy the marvelous sights

(there is one bit thought along the atlantic bit that features a gas plant/refinery. looks bad and smells even worse.
also hope you won't encounter those tiny, twinky, micro black flies that swarm about in "packs" and are rather pesky. there were on the boardwalk areas - especially around some water puddles/wet soil area. hope that their season is past ... otherwise have a towel or scarf/hanky in hand to swirl/whirl about vigorously to get them off your face and other uncovered body areas.
during that stretch of walk i'd though that an old fashioned tropical expedition suits would have been called for!)

again - bom caminho - enjoy the vinho verde ... very refreshing!
very best wishes!!

happy happy trails - bom caminho annakappa and fraluchi!
curious to hear/read about your tales on the portuguese caminho.
wishing you a fine start, well placed steps and good balance and enjoy the marvelous sights

(there is one bit thought along the atlantic bit that features a gas plant/refinery. looks bad and smells even worse.
also hope you won't encounter those tiny, twinky, micro black flies that swarm about in "packs" and are rather pesky. there were on the boardwalk areas - especially around some water puddles/wet soil area. hope that their season is past ... otherwise have a towel or scarf/hanky in hand to swirl/whirl about vigorously to get them off your face and other uncovered body areas.
during that stretch of walk i'd though that an old fashioned tropical expedition suits would have been called for!)

again - bom caminho - enjoy the vinho verde ... very refreshing!
very best wishes!!
Your story about the flies I do remember too on that part as you describe.
Since we have been once at the "Myvatn"' the mosquito lake on Iceland with billions of mosquitos around you we bought mosquito nets there and we allways carry them in our backpacks.it's the kind of net that only covers your head so the weight is almost nothing. It looks a bit weard ,wearing it but it helps .
I am allergic for mosquito bites so also on our last caminho I wore it two or three times during the night to protect me against nasty creatures flying around me .

Last edited:
Your story about the flies I do rember too on that part as you describe.
Since we have been once at the "Myvatn"' the mosquito lake on Iceland with billions of mosquitos around you we bought mosquito nets there and we allways carry them in our backpacks.it's the kind of net that only covers your head so the weight is almost nothing. It looks a bit weard ,wearing it but it helps .
I am allergic for mosquito bites so also on our last caminho I wore it two or three times during the night to protect me against nasty creatures flying around me .
now here is a wise man :)

glad you found a solution that works/ed.
(i still wonder why those creatures were created in the first place ... being food for other insects? those mysteries are beyond my capacity to comprehend ...)
best wishes and hope you are still in some sort of 'afterglow' for your recent camino. enjoyed your blog and followed you along.
bedankt!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
now here is a wise man :)

glad you found a solution that works/ed.
(i still wonder why those creatures were created in the first place ... being food for other insects? those mysteries are beyond my capacity to comprehend ...)
best wishes and hope you are still in some sort of 'afterglow' for your recent camino. enjoyed your blog and followed you along.
bedankt!
The question of life Claudia !I can't answer this question neither ! The fact is that the nasty creatures are there and where there before you and I were there :)
So as we say here in "the lowlands of Europe" if the mountain does not come to Mozes, Mozes has to go to the mountain. So be prepared .in this case with a mosquito net.
Mit freundlichen Grüssen .

I will fly into Porto on Tuesday morning so will be a day behind you,but may catch you up as I hope to start walking same day.I will look out for you.Bom Camino.
We will look out for you Philip. At the moment, I'm recognizable as I still have my right arm in a cast. Hope to have it removed by the end of the week!
Anyway, look out for two oldies with white hair!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So today, to scandalize the purists, instead of walking out of Oporto, we took the #500 bus to Matosinos ( instead of taking the metro), like this we travelled down the Douro and then along the coast.
We are now in Vila do Conde.

Anna,
A belated Bom caminho to you both! Good luck with your arm and plans. Carpe diem and, as always, Ultreia!
Margaret Meredith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So today, to scandalize the purists, instead of walking out of Oporto, we took the #500 bus to Matosinos ( instead of taking the metro), like this we travelled down the Douro and then along the coast.
We are now in Vila do Conde.
that's a lovely busride - sensible choice :) took same bus @ 7am'ish along w/ many commuters. really enjoyed the river views!
bom caminho !

In the mean time we have crossed inland past Arcos and S. Pedro de Rates to stay at Antonio's place in Pedra Furada. Most horrible road walking: the cobble stones are damaging the best Camino feet! After a nice stay and dinner (only 5 of us), walked past Barcelinhos and Barcelos to Tamel. Fantastic Albergue Municipal with super facilities and friendly staff, good restaurant (2000) just across the main road.
Today to Casa Fernanda, a lazy walk. The path is decidedly pilgrim's feet friendlier after Barcelos. Personally I would skip anything between Porto and Barcelos, unless one keeps to the shore. Avoid the horrible cobble stones and suicide drivers.
Casa Fernanda is an oasis of pilgrim spirit. Small but beautiful in its simple ways.:)

We are now at Valença. What an interesting town! It's a pity that Pilgrims tend to rush through to stay in Tui. The weather has been cold and wet these last couple of days, but it should be picking up tomorrow, although I'm quite happy to walk without the sun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back