• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Porto May 31

Patti5

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Portugese ( 2019)
Wondering if anyone is around and leaving to do the coastal or central route on May 31. I’m am feeling nervous about getting lost on my own ( as I have done throughout the day as I explored Porto). Also wondering if I should’ve booked accommodations because of the number of people around here!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I left Porto for my Camino by taking the Metro up to Matosinhos , get off at the next to the last stop. When you get off the metro tram you will see a bridge, climb the stairs to get to the cross over level and as you start across you will see your first yellow arrow. From there it’s pretty straightforward taking you to the coast. As you hit the ocean there is a tourist center on the left that has a bathroom to use and will stamp your pilgrim passport.
Bom Caminho.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wishing you a safe and happy camino. We also took the metro and set off along the boardwalk. Beautiful. On the second day, we soon found a little food market with ugly looking fruit and veg, just on the left as we were walking. Ugly, because the growers didn’t manicure them for supermarket purposes. Beautiful, and just what was called for to eat en route.

Wondering if anyone is around and leaving to do the coastal or central route on May 31. I’m am feeling nervous about getting lost on my own ( as I have done throughout the day as I explored Porto). Also wondering if I should’ve booked accommodations because of the number of people around here!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We have walked the Portugues several times from Lisbon and Porto, coastal and interior and really enjoyed walking from the Cathedral in Porto along the banks of the Douro towards the Ocean and Matosinhos lots of arrows cant get lost just keep the river and Ocean on your left, over the bridge at Matosinhos Great coffee stop right there before the steps, over the bridge down the stairs and follow the ship canal alongside the port to the Ocean and then promenade and boardwalk. Bom camino.

Wishing you a safe and happy camino. We also took the metro and set off along the boardwalk. Beautiful. On the second day, we soon found a little food market with ugly looking fruit and veg, just on the left as we were walking. Ugly, because the growers didn’t manicure them for supermarket purposes. Beautiful, and just what was called for to eat en route.
Had a great first day. Walked out of Porto along the river to the ocean. A spectacular view throughout the day. Felt good so walked to Póvoa Varzim just past Vila do Conde I have decided to stay on the coastal route one more day

We have walked the Portugues several times from Lisbon and Porto, coastal and interior and really enjoyed walking from the Cathedral in Porto along the banks of the Douro towards the Ocean and Matosinhos lots of arrows cant get lost just keep the river and Ocean on your left, over the bridge at Matosinhos Great coffee stop right there before the steps, over the bridge down the stairs and follow the ship canal alongside the port to the Ocean and then promenade and boardwalk. Bom camino.
Thanks. Last night was pre walk jitters all for not. Easy to follow the water on the coast. Beautiful scenery

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I finished Porto today. As long as you have the ocean on your left, you will be alright. Also, really nice seaside trails are not included if you only follow "official" Camino.

Good on Ya’.
I left Porto this morning (May 31st) and decided to take the Metro to Matosinhos.
You probably now know getting to the sea side is relatively simple.... but the first yellow arrow is a big relief nonetheless.
I was quiet surprised I found the scenery a bit boring. The lack of shade on a brilliantly sunny day was quite taxing. Please don’t feel I am being negative... just frank.
On the plus side the walk is less challenging as it is quite flat.
I reached Vila do Conde and decided to head to the Central Route tomorrow. Looking for a less touristic environment.
Wherever your Camino takes you, enjoy and be safe.

Last edited:
Good on Ya’.
I left Porto this morning (May 31st) and decided to take the Metro to Matosinhos.
You probably now know getting to the sea side is relatively simple.... but the first yellow arrow is a big relief nonetheless.
I was quiet surprised I found the scenery a bit boring. The lack of shade on a brilliantly sunny day was quite taxing. Please don’t feel I am being negative... just frank.
I reached Vila do Conde and decided to head to the Central Route tomorrow. Looking for a less touristic environment.
Yes, I don't blame you for not liking it. It felt like walking Waikiki beach. I got ripped off, too. This is the route that I won't walk again. Having said that, it gets better after Villa doi Conde.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I finished Porto today. As long as you have the ocean on your left, you will be alright. Also, really nice seaside trails are not included if you only follow "official" Camino.
Thanks! Enjoyed my walk today out of Porto and along the ocean. So much easier than the guide books suggest. Your advise “ocean on your left” is as simple and truthful as it needs to be

Good on Ya’.
Thanks! Bien Camino!

Hey @Patti5 I'm from Oshawa. I am flying to Porto this Sunday and will start walking on Tuesday. I haven't decided which route to walk so it's nice to read your comments along with @Cam1952's comments as well. It appears that he is also from around here.

My big question is should I bring a bathing suit? Last year I threw my bathing suit away as the weather was cold and rainy and I was sick of carrying something I was never going to wear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey @Patti5 I'm from Oshawa. I am flying to Porto this Sunday and will start walking on Tuesday. I haven't decided which route to walk so it's nice to read your comments along with @Cam1952's comments as well. It appears that he is also from around here.

My big question is should I bring a bathing suit? Last year I threw my bathing suit away as the weather was cold and rainy and I was sick of carrying something I was never going to wear.
I’m from Whitby! I did bring my bathing suit The weather has been very hot but I have yet to use it. I will have extra days at the end of my time here so I think it is worth it Weather is suppose to get cooler though
Smart flying into Porto. I flew in Lisbon and now I’m having trouble booking transportation back from Santiago.
Porto is very busy ( I believe due to an international soccer tournament). But it is lovely. I did a “free” walking tour with Porto Walkers ( pay a tip) and it was excellent
Bien Camino!

I’m from Whitby! I did bring my bathing suit The weather has been very hot but I have yet to use it. I will have extra days at the end of my time here so I think it is worth it Weather is suppose to get cooler though
Smart flying into Porto. I flew in Lisbon and now I’m having trouble booking transportation back from Santiago.
Porto is very busy ( I believe due to an international soccer tournament). But it is lovely. I did a “free” walking tour with Porto Walkers ( pay a tip) and it was excellent
Bien Camino!
We recently returned to Porto from Santiago with FlixBus - it is an express used mostly by pilgrims if the backpacks in the hold are any indication. Find the bus online.

We recently returned to Porto from Santiago with FlixBus - it is an express used mostly by pilgrims if the backpacks in the hold are any indication. Find the bus online.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into that

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back