• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Santiago by train

Angel-hart

Time of past OR future Camino
April, May 2016
When I started planning the Camnio like many I had a difficult time getting passed those first few days of SJPP, Orrison or Valcarlos, stay over night in SJPP etc.

I looked forward a few days out along the way and it helps. When many of us finished we had open schedules and hadn't thought when and how we left Santiago.

A week prior to getting to Santiago we ate dinner with a small group of very nice Korean pilgrims who told me that on the Monday they wanted to leave every way out of Santiago was booked! Buses, trains and planes to Madrid, plus the fares on Mondays by train were much higher. They were right. On weekends Santiago fills up on Monday mornings leaving is filled through standard methods and higher in price.

I went to the train station in Santiago and found them to be very helpful to me. They were excellent at explaining which routes went were and how to get me/us the best price. Prior to going I tried to go through a couple of websites with little luck, finding services that would do bookings to Renfe for very high fees. I don't know enough Spanish(my bad) to effectively use the Renfe website, which I understand is cumbersome?

Many trains hub through Madrid, when you get there you may have to go to the Atocha station if continuing on. It's free you use your exsisting ticket to get a pass to the next station(all explained to me by the counter person in Santiago) we went on to our next destination, changed trains got to our next cities and airports through there system. It works well but takes time and explanations. Hope this helps.

Rob and Deb

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Rob and Deb, good to hear that you found helpful people at the train stations. For future reference you can access an English version of the RENFE website, just look at the various versions of welcome at the top of the first page and click on 'Welcome' as oppposed to 'Bienvenu' 'Wilkommen' etc. It took me a while to register that this was available and then it was a smooth processs to ordering my tickets. I used Paypal.

When there is such pressure on services leaving Santiago it might be worth considering making your long-distance reservations for journeys beginning in other nearby towns: Ourense, Vigo or A Coruna perhaps. A few weeks ago my wife was unable to book a train seat from Santiago to Madrid but had no problem doing so from Ourense - a short local train journey away. In the past I have chosen to fly from A Coruna rather than Santiago because of seat availability (and also to avoid arriving at Stansted Airport which is a pet hate of mine). Adds very little to either the cost or the total journey time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Rob and Deb, good to hear that you found helpful people at the train stations. For future reference you can access an English version of the RENFE website, just look at the various versions of welcome at the top of the first page and click on 'Welcome' as oppposed to 'Bienvenu' 'Wilkommen' etc. It took me a while to register that this was available and then it was a smooth processs to ordering my tickets. I used Paypal.

Thank you for the info on Renfe. We truly like the train travel in Spain, and will use your info.

Deb and Rob

When there is such pressure on services leaving Santiago it might be worth considering making your long-distance reservations for journeys beginning in other nearby towns: Ourense, Vigo or A Coruna perhaps. A few weeks ago my wife was unable to book a train seat from Santiago to Madrid but had no problem doing so from Ourense - a short local train journey away. In the past I have chosen to fly from A Coruna rather than Santiago because of seat availability (and also to avoid arriving at Stansted Airport which is a pet hate of mine). Adds very little to either the cost or the total journey time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You're right we were going to go the Porto and Vigo seems like another place you can travel from, although it is a bit farther. I am sure this information will help others.

Deb and Ron

I found a treasure trove of useful info on train travel in Spain at this site:
http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm
including the language preference selector, and when to expect the new timetable to be posted to get the widest choice of dates, times and cheapest fares. The Renfe timetable changes for the summer on June 15 and goes online "about" 60 days in advance. Sure enough, I was able to book a Saturday departure from SdC on my preferred date about 60 days ahead. I missed getting the cheapest fair though by not booking right away.

I found a treasure trove of useful info on train travel in Spain at this site:
http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm
including the language preference selector, and when to expect the new timetable to be posted to get the widest choice of dates, times and cheapest fares. The Renfe timetable changes for the summer on June 15 and goes online "about" 60 days in advance. Sure enough, I was able to book a Saturday departure from SdC on my preferred date about 60 days ahead. I missed getting the cheapest fair though by not booking right away.

I wished this info had been around for us. I have found as soon as you know your departure date start booking a ticket. We got to Valencia and had dates for leaving to get to Barcelona so we booked seats when we arrived. At the time our seat assignments showed only about a third full. The day we left the train was sold out by the time we got to Barcelona.
So many of us with open ended tickets or excess time like us(2 weeks) don't look ahead, or don't think about leaving as an issue. Your information is great! Thank you.

Deb and Rob

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I missed getting the cheapest fair though by not booking right away.

I don't know if you are fully sure of that but be aware that the (theoterically) cheapest fare isn't always offered so maybe it just wasn't offered for that train on that date.

I wished this info had been around for us.

It was already quoted on other posts on other threads. It's a pity you didn't see it.

I don't know if you are fully sure of that but be aware that the (theoterically) cheapest fare isn't always offered so maybe it just wasn't offered for that train on that date.

It was already quoted on other posts on other threads. It's a pity you didn't see it.

We were coordinating a group of us and when I found that the new schedule was live, I had to wait for a reply from our friends to confirm date/time and after one day, the fare went up €5-10 each! Still only €50 for SdC-MAD!
We booked Preferenté tickets from BARC-Ponferrada for less tha €50 each, which is a 9+ hour journey, but they were before the schedule change.

I need to leave Santiago on June 14th to Madrid so I can catch a plane on the 15th having trouble getting out should I fly or take a train what would be the best to do let me know thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I need to leave Santiago on June 14th to Madrid so I can catch a plane on the 15th having trouble getting out should I fly or take a train what would be the best to do let me know thank you

I found similar information as Bardypus. If it were me I would take the train, easier on and off, taxi fares are less. More relaxed travel tourist class seats have more room than coach plane seats by far. Madrid like most large cities ha s a set fare to and from the airport 20E.

For anyone who is planning to travel to Madrid from SdC by train please remember to leave sufficient time for you and your luggage to go through the security checks at Santiago station. It is not that this is especially complicated, the staff are very efficient, but the volume of people trying to get to the platform can cause a bottleneck. The journey, by the way, is stunning and the cafe on board serves tosta with tomate, together with a little bottle of olive oil - mmmm.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Madrid like most large cities ha s a set fare to and from the airport 20E.

The set fare is 30 Euros if you are going to/from the airport from/to Madrid city center (any place within the M-30 ring like, for example, Sol or Atocha). If you are going to/from somewhere in Madrid out of the M-30 ring (e.g.: to Barajas town), the mínimum fare is 20 Euros (it applies to routes up to 10 kms) and if the route is longer than 10 kms, from kilometer 10 onwards, it'll be 1.05 Euros extra per kilometer (1.20 Euros extra per kilometer on weekends, public holidays and/or by night).

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back