• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving SdC back to Pamplona with my dog

pepi

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: Sept 2022
next 🤷
I am currently in SdC and am looking for the best way to return to Pamplona with my dog. Alsa will not take us, Any suggestions, ideas?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Short line bus lines might take dogs but probably only in a crate in the luggage area. But then you have to check all of them along the way before heading out and buying a crate.

The easiest, but not cheapest, way would be a one way car rental I think. To be on the safe side I wouldn't go to the rental agency with the dog.

Short line bus lines might take dogs but probably only in a crate in the luggage area. But then you have to check all of them along the way before heading out and buying a crate.

The easiest, but not cheapest, way would be a one way car rental I think. To be on the safe side I wouldn't go to the rental agency with the dog.
Thanks a lot, second option might be best

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is you dog small enough to carry in a carry all type dog crate? I saw several people getting off the train at A Coruña with little dogs in cushioned carry-all crates when I visited there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is off the Renfe website:

On AVE and Larga Distancia (long distance high-speed) trains, you can travel with your pet as long as:
  • you have a small pet: dogs, cats, ferrets and birds (not poultry).
  • your pet weighs no more than 10 kg
  • your pet travels inside a cage or carrier at all times, which must measure a maximum of 60x35x35 cm
  • maximum 1 pet per person
  • your ticket allows pet travel
Pets must always travel with their own pet ticket and do not take up a seat. If you are travelling with a Premium ticket, your pet travels for free. If your ticket is Básico (Basic) or Elige (Pick & Mix) ticket, you will only have to pay 10 euros more to take your pet with you.

On Media Distancia (Mid-distance) and Avant (mid-distance high-speed) trains, you can travel with your pet as long as:

• you have a small pet: dogs, cats, ferrets and birds (not poultry).
  • your pet weighs no more than 10 kg
  • your pet travels inside a cage or carrier at all times, which must measure a maximum of 60x35x35 cm
  • maximum 1 pet per person
Your pet does not occupy a seat. The cost of the ticket is 25% of the price of the general fare.

Please note that train+bus combined tickets do not accept pets.

Rental car sounds like best option; I’d be interested to see if there is a public transpo option that would work. Maybe post on this forum and leave message at places like Pilgrim House in Santiago for people who would want to ride share if you rent a car?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For a Labrador/dogs that weigh >10kg then the only option is by renting a car. AVIS, Enterprise, and Europcar accept dogs. Do contact them individually to find out their rules, maybe there’s some extra cleaning fee?

For taxis, some drivers are very relaxed and didn’t need anything special. Some are playing it by the rules so: dogs must be leashed to the car (I bring a harness that clips onto the seat belt) or in a crate, and must be muzzled. So I walk the Camino with a seat belt harness and a muzzle if there’s possibility of having to take taxi. A friend did the Portugues with her border collie and one long day the dog was very tired and she was tired too, and they were refused taxi because lack of harness and muzzle 😔

Re: AVE, this week there is an improvement! Dogs between 10-40kg can now get on a train from Madrid to Barcelona (they’re trialling it with this route only for the moment). But the rules imposed are very long that it would discourage most dog owners: the dog ticket alone cost €35 and the owner cannot travel in 2nd class - total fare for human+dog for return has to be min €220 😨 plus other rules, see here (I’m currently travelling so haven’t double checked with actual RENFE site).

For a Labrador/dogs that weigh >10kg then the only option is by renting a car. AVIS, Enterprise, and Europcar accept dogs. Do contact them individually to find out their rules, maybe there’s some extra cleaning fee?

For taxis, some drivers are very relaxed and didn’t need anything special. Some are playing it by the rules so: dogs must be leashed to the car (I bring a harness that clips onto the seat belt) or in a crate, and must be muzzled. So I walk the Camino with a seat belt harness and a muzzle if there’s possibility of having to take taxi. A friend did the Portugues with her border collie and one long day the dog was very tired and she was tired too, and they were refused taxi because lack of harness and muzzle 😔

Re: AVE, this week there is an improvement! Dogs between 10-40kg can now get on a train from Madrid to Barcelona (they’re trialling it with this route only for the moment). But the rules imposed are very long that it would discourage most dog owners: the dog ticket alone cost €35 and the owner cannot travel in 2nd class - total fare for human+dog for return has to be min €220 😨 plus other rules, see here (I’m currently travelling so haven’t double checked with actual RENFE site).
Thank you all for your greatly appreciated responses. I actually started this query in lieu of an Italian co-Peregrino, to whom I translated and passed on your replies. I think that he will go for the rental car option
It’s late in SdC now, so thank you all very much
and Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks but my friend took a rental car.
How much did it cost? Expensive presumably if it was returned to another office.

Thank you all for your greatly appreciated responses. I actually started this query in lieu of an Italian co-Peregrino, to whom I translated and passed on your replies
You should have mentioned that in your first post (not that the advice would be different).
I was confused about why you were traveling with a dog.

You should have mentioned that in your first post (not that the advice would be different).
I was confused about why you were traveling with a dog.
At least nobody asked why the dog owner hadn't thought out the problems of their return with a dog after the Camino before they set out . . . oops!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back