• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Sept 10th and have some questions

Zazee

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Camino Frances [SJPP-Finesterre] Sept/Oct 2011
Walked inaugural European Peace Walk [Vienna-Trieste] Jul/Aug 2014
I am leaving SJPP on Sept 10th and will be walking to Cape Finisterre. Have a couple of questions about what I should take: Sleeping bag or fleece liner? Water bottles or platypus? Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola - with all of the usual caveats about the unpredictability of the weather imho a sleeping bag is essential equipment at the time you are walking. It is now 10 August and some early mornings in Santiago it is quite cold although temps during the day can be over 30 degrees. You are leaving St Jean on 10 September and will walk into Santiago approximately a month later with the weather Galcia can bring. If you are going to sleep in albergues I personally wouldn't rely on blankets always being available to back up a fleece liner.

As for water bottles as opposed to a platypus, I think this is simply a question of personal preference. There isn't a technical advantage of one obver the other in my view. Try them both and see what you think yourself!

Happy planning and see you in Santiago in a couple of months from now!

Buen Camino

John

Platypus for its ease of use. I carry a 2 litre bag but only fill it to about 1.5L.

Sleeping bag? Murph's Law says that whatever you carry it will be the wrong decision. In December 2010 walking from Sarria to SDC some of the albergues had heat so hot that I slept on top of my sleeping bag. After two nights of this I posted it on from Portomarin and then froze the next three nights as there were no blankets.

I have got away with a sleeping liner in September but then I am prepared to sleep in my walking clothes, with my coat on to boot. At O Cebreiro I had to do this late May 1998.

It is that unpredictable.

Imho take a sleeping bag. Warm and light as possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks! Appreciate your responses. Sleeping bag it is.

Zazee:

I would definately recommend a sleeping bag over a liner and as light as possible. My synthetic bag weighed 2lb which I thought was light but my friend had a down bag that only weighed 7oz. As far as water bottle versus platypus. I prefer water bottles. There are not as convenient as a platypus but less weight and maintenance.

Ultreya,
Joe

Joe, do you know the name/type of sleeping bag your friend used? The lightest I can find is 2lbs. Thanks.

-lee

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Zazee:

I do not but I would imagine a REI store near you would carry a variety. I do know it was down filled not synthetic. They are usually lighter but more expensive. The lightest bag I saw on the REI site was a mountain Hardware +45 it weighed in at 17 oz. The Terra nova site says their laser 300 is the lightest sleeping bag at (11.6oz. or 330g) in the world. Maybe my friends bag was 17 oz. Mea Culpa but 17oz. is still half the weight of my bag.

Ultreya,
Joe

Regards the bladder versus bottle: I don't have enough shoulder flexibility any more to allow me to reach a water bottle in an outside pocket of the pack, so I use a bladder (2 L Platypus filled to 1.5 L). However, I also carry an empty water bottle. When you come across the odd spigot or fountain, it's very nice to have something to collect the water! Also I use it bedside, as a bottle is more spill resistant than a glass.

Hello Fellow Oregonian!

I used a Marmot Pounder Plus at 1.5 pounds.
My walking partner used a heavy REI $35 fleece liner.
We were both warm and cozy - this was in Sept through November - 3 months walking in Spain.
It just depends on if you get cold. I suspect, since you're from Oregon, that you don't.
I wore shirtsleeves mid-winter when the rest of Spain and Portugal were in heavy coats.
I actually had to open windows in the albergues because of the body heat and stuffiness.

I used water bottles on each of my Caminos and will do the same on the next.
I don't like having to fuss with the cleaning of the platypus.
There are fountains all along the Frances with excellent water - easy to keep your bottles full.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All...Thanks again for taking the time to give me suggestions.

I have a Platypus and will do some experimenting with it vs water bottles.

Re: bag vs liner: Being from Oregon I much prefer cooler temps to heat. I personally run on the warm side so totally understand Annie opening the albergues windows! My walking partner is not as warm blooded as me, so me thinks she will do a sleeping bag and I will do the fleece. Have smart wool long johns and if it's cooler than expected, I am totally okay with sleeping in walking clothes [and coat if necessary] as methodist.pilgrim.98 did.

Annie...I will be in PDX August31-Sept 2 [leave for NYC on Sept 3] and would love to connect with you. PM me if you are willing and we can set a day/time.

Thanks again!

I hate it when people open the windows in albergues, usually because its the one next to me and I wake up freezing :evil: + :D

Zazee if you have a sleeping bag it would be very rare to have to sleep in your clothes and coat, though it might happen on the odd occasion. I take a liner which makes it more likely. Have a great pilgrimage.

I am also walking in Sept and Oct and was hopeing to manage with a silk sleeping bag liner but after experimenting in England realised this to be inadequate so have now got a lightweight sleeping bag 800 grms. I have decided to take both thus covering all situations and have three choices bag or liner and if it was really cold in the mountains both together.
Good luck
Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Methodist.Pilgrim:

I feel just the opposite about windows in Albergues. In my opinion, they should always be open. Those rooms get to stuffy and you need air flow. That said, this is another subject altogether.

Ultreya,
Joe

I walked from end of May to early July and before I left I was having the same debate in my head... and I opted for a silk liner figuring it is summer and Spain...well like methodist.pilgrim said yes whatever you bring.... several nights the cold woke me up two, three times a night. Some nights I wore all my clothing (not very warm ones since i figure... its spain) and wrap my scarf around my head and pull the liner over my head and I was still freezing cold. Thank goodness I brought an emergency blanket with me which helped but I only used it in very rare occasions or when I am lucky enough to get a room to myself (happened once!) because it makes wonderfully loud crinkly noises whenever you move.

Joe

If I ever find myself in the same albergue at the same time as you and I am beside the window and you are in a nice, warm, snug corner, then we ARE going to swap bunks. :D

peace and blessings,

Philip

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm walking at the same time period and purchased a down-filled Lafuma bag that's at 1 lb 8 ozs. Regarding bottles / Platypus; you shouldn't have to worry too much about cleaning it out, as long as you only place water in it and don't use a drink mix.

I left from SJPP on Sept 11 2009, had both a liner and a 2lb sleeping bag. Used the sleeping bag half dozen times near the end out towards Finisterre ( no heat in a couple of places), otherwise the liner was all I needed. Platypus is handy and while I had both, found I used the platypus more and got rid of the bottle.
You will enjoy the Santiago to Finisterre leg; much quieter than the camino, scenery is breathtaking and somehow putting your toe in the Atlantic brings a real closure to the whole experience. Enjoy!

Phillip:

I will already be camped out by the window.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am looking to get a water-bottle and was wondering whether an inbuilt filter is necessary?
(ie. the Camelbak "groove").

Thanks!

There is little or no concern with the water along the Camino. Spain is not a third world country.
The fountains are clearly marked if they are not potable. Bottled water is just as available along the way as in the U.S. or any other country. No worries.

grayland said:
There is little or no concern with the water along the Camino. Spain is not a third world country.
The fountains are clearly marked if they are not potable. Bottled water is just as available along the way as in the U.S. or any other country. No worries.

Whilst it is true that Spain is not a third world country much of it is a rural country. This observation applies only to the Camino Frances along which there is an adequate number of fountains marked as drinkable. On many of the other routes care still has to be taken when deciding to drink from a fountain if it is not marked - the best way being to ask a local.

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Joe,
This is one thing we DO agree on! I sleep with a window open even mid-winter. It gets so hot and stuffy in those albergues with all those pilgrims in the same room. I always do my best to get a bed by a window so I can at least crack it an inch or two.

It's interesting how some people grew up learning that fresh air was GOOD for you at night and others grew up learning that it was dangerous.

It's also one of the reasons I often sleep outdoors along the Camino, weather permitting.

Anniesantiago, I had to have a chuckle at your sneaky window opening. We should give this maneuver a special name.

I learnt to do this as well. Wait until they were all asleep (snoring was a great indicator) and then slowly, slowly open the window from my upper bunk next to it.

The first time I tried to open the window I got yelled down by a group of people and I don't get it. Maybe they think it makes you sick?

The worst thing is to be in a room with forty bunks and the windows are shut, it gets so hot and stuffy.

A few nights I took my pack and ground mat and just slept in a hallway or laundry.

I think I am going to take up your advice about sleeping out more as after three nights or stuffiness or snoring it can take a toll.

I had a good friend and fellow Marine that would sleep with a window or tent flap open regardless of the weather.

Worked out well until we were deployed on a submarine!

Buen "got to fit the needs to the situation" Camino

Arn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ah well..... just come into this stream....... but have to have a say about one (or two) of my pet grouches.

I'm with you, Joe, by the window, which IMHO should always be open in an albergue (unless there's a howling gale and it's minus15*). As well as the stuffy stale air in dorms, there are usually clothes drying, adding moisture to the air and hence mould is an ongoing and often evident problem. I just can't sleep without fresh air....... or else I might...... shhhh..... snore!!!

RE fountains....... as Johnnie says...... Water from fountains along the Camino Frances may be fine/OK/drinkable....... but this is definitely NOT always the case on the other "camino" routes. I wish people would stipulate which camino they are talking about, the Frances is not the only camino, very misleading for wannabe aspiring pilgrims who may be thinking of walking one of the other caminos. . . . oops... this is a stream about a pilgrim contemplating the CF. !!!

.... waiting for the flack!
Buen camino on whichever route. Carole.

Does anybody used GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) to purify the water.
I found this:

"First Aid for Drinking Water

GSE is ideal as a safe and simple way to treat drinking water when camping, back packing or in any emergency situation where safe drinking water is not obtainable, and boiling(or distilling) is not practical.
Available water should first be filtered. (At the very least, let suspended particles settle.) Retain the clear water and add 10 to 25 drops of grapefruit seed extract(less for questionable tap water, more for stream or pond water) for each one gallon of water. Shake or stir vigorously and let sit for a few minutes. A slightly bitter taste may be noticed. This is just the inherent taste of the GSE."

There is no water source in Spain from which you should be drinking that will be helped by grapefruit seed extract! There is no scientific evidence that it will remove toxins or bacteria, and it could be very dangerous to experiment with it when bottle water is never more than a market, bar, or cafe away.

Would you try grapefruit seed extract on this water-borne bug?
Reports suggest that a "brain-eating" amoeba has claimed the life of another child in the United States.

Christian Alexander Strickland, 9, of Henrico County, Va. became infected after he went to a fishing camp and died from meningitis on Aug. 5, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch, msnbc.com reported.

The suspected cause of the illness was Naegleria fowleri, sometimes called "brain-eating amoeba," the boy's aunt Bonnie Strickland told the newspaper.

The Times-Dispatch said state health officials couldn't comment on a specific case but did confirm a case of Naegleria fowleri infection and meningitis, msnbc.com reported.

Naegleria fowleri enters the body through the nose and almost always causes meningitis. It's usually found warm, stagnant water in freshwater lakes, ponds and rivers, and can also be found in wells, according to the newspaper.

Earlier this month, 16-year-old Courtney Nash of Florida died from a Naegleria fowleri infection she developed after swimming in the St. John's River, according to ABC News, msnbc.com reported.
Fortunately, tap water is not a source of infection.

Thanks for varying water "tips"
most water sources (esp. cosmopolitan sites) have added chemicals that are not necessarily "healthful" for the humans!
no harm done with having a filter system; not necessary to buy water, plus, i can do a range of "other" camino ventures in the future!
i do agree, windows OPEN as fresh is best...

€46,-
The only harm is carrying additional weight that is not needed. Not sure what it weighs but it is very surprising how quick ounces turn into pounds

RE Purifying Water, Agua.

You can purify your own water. Bottled water manufacturers use Ultraviolet light to purify water in bottles. By purify I mean the UV light kills bacteria, viruses and protozoa that cause water-borne illness.

You can now buy hand held purifiers and you place them into your bottle and leave them there for a number of seconds and it kills all the above.

I don't want to sully this forum with brand names but if you google "ultraviolet water purifier" you will find them.

Kindly

Michael

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you don't drink water from any of the fountains, if you buy bottled water to drink during your walking, the tap water on the Camino is perfectly safe. The only place I might put a query is the monastery of San Juan de Ortega.

If you take a platypus you can even avoid buying bottled water by filling up from the albergue kitchen taps. ditto a bottle. Buy a bottle of water and keep refilling it until the cap goes then buy a new bottle and ditto.

Why carry any kind of purifing system? You simply don't need it. It's a red herring.

From Steripen:
SteriPEN treats a wide variety of bacteria, viruses and protozoan cysts, such as:

Bacteria - These guys may be teeny tiny, but they can do some major damage. Ever heard of necrotizing fasciitis? How about if we call it Flesh Eating Bacteria? And bacteria's right in the name!

Campylobacter - Campers beware, campylobacter is the leading cause of bacterial diarrhea...and it's found everywhere!

Cholera - Little Timmy might have died from this in the Oregon Trail game, but it's very real. Cholera infects the intestines and while it's rare in places with proper infrastructure, it can still be found in brackish rivers and coastal water.

Cryptosporidium - Like Cholera, these guys live in your intestines! Now that's a one-way relationship you don't want to be a part of!

Escherichia coli - You know this one better as E. coli, and in most cases, he's on your side (and in your stomach). In healthy people, E. coli actually makes vitamins your body needs and helps keep more harmful bacteria in check. But watch out for the black sheep of the family, E. coli O157:H7. It may be rare, but this strain releases a powerful toxin that will damage the lining of the intestine and cause severe sickness.

Giardia – They say there’s lots of fish in the sea, and with Giardia, it’s true – it’s found all over the world and it one of the most common causes of waterbourne illnesses and THE most common cause of non-bacterial diarrhea in North America. But at least if you let this parasite into your life, it’ll be a give and take relationship - it’ll take your small intestine for its home and give you a bad case of diarrhea in return.

Hepatitis – This little virus can live in your water. Luckily, the SteriPEN purifiers can destroy Hepatitus A, B, C, and D. How’s that for justice?

Legionella – You might think the water in your hotel is safe, but that might not be the case. The ninja-like legionella bacterium can hide out in larger organisms and fall though the cracks when your water is disinfected in large water distribution centers like those in hotels and even hospitals. And take it from us, you don’t want a legion of legionella floating around inside your body!

Protozoan parasite – Protozoan parasites represent a whole classification of nasty baddies who are live in the cells and tissues of other living creatures and they’re looking to make you their next host. Protozoans can cause a whole laundry list of problems, from targeting the central nervous system to diarrhea. No matter your symptoms, you don’t want one of these guys to be your guest.

Salmonella – When your mom told you not to eat raw eggs, she was trying to save you from this bacterium, but salmonella can also live in water (and animals…and dry environments…) for several months. Salmonella can cause all sorts of diseases from typhoid fever to salmonellis, none of which are much fun to have.

Shigella – Don’t let the name fool you, shigella isn’t shy when it comes to getting to know a new host. Even just a few bacterium can cause a infections like dysentery, shigellosis or hemolytic uremic syndrome.

Viruses – Remember when we said bacteria are tiny? Viruses are 100 times smaller than a single bacteria cell and they’re so cut throat that they’ll hijack the cells of other organisms to help them do things they can’t do on their own, like eat, grow and multiply...moochers!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
grayland said:
Not sure what it weighs but it is very surprising how quick ounces turn into pounds

1litre of water weighs 1 kilogram
1 Imperial gallon weighs 10 pounds

Water is the heaviest stuff you are likely to carry!

blessings
Tio Tel

TerryB said:
grayland said:
Not sure what it weighs but it is very surprising how quick ounces turn into pounds

1litre of water weighs 1 kilogram
1 Imperial gallon weighs 10 pounds
Water is the heaviest stuff you are likely to carry!
blessings
Tio Tel

I am aware of the weight of water....I was referring to the weight of any unnecessary water filtering equipment.

l[/quote]
.I was referring to the weight of any unnecessary water filtering equipment.[/quote]

According to the web-site notalot!
Weight: 2.3 oz

Blessings again
Tio Tel

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.