• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Seville on August 29th

Bunclody1

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013 C Francis
June 2015 C Norte
September 2017 C Primitivo
August 2018 Via de la Plata
Hi all,
I realize the weather will be warm but it's the only time that suits me, hopefully the heat will have cooled down a bit.
Anyone else leaving around that time ?
John.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all,
I realize the weather will be warm but it's the only time that suits me, hopefully the heat will have cooled down a bit.
Anyone else leaving around that time ?
John.
Hi John,you say that you are leaving Santiago on 29/8 to walk the Via de la Plata??.Does that mean you are walking it in reverse and if so,do you realise it is not waymarked in both directions.If you start in Séville it is waymarked from there to Santiago but not in the reverse direction.
I have walked the Plata but in the Spring time.I wouldn't personally walk it in September because the temperature will still be high .I met an Australian on the way to Finisterre and he walked it in September.Coming from Australia he is used to high températures but he found the Plata hard going in the heat.He ran out of water but luckily for him ,a Spanish lady in a car,stopped and helped him out.You will have to carry a lot of water because unlike the Camino Frances there are few water fountains,if any, along the way.Good luck and Buen Camino.

Hi John,you say that you are leaving Santiago on 29/8 to walk the Via de la Plata??.Does that mean you are walking it in reverse and if so,do you realise it is not waymarked in both directions.If you start in Séville it is waymarked from there to Santiago but not in the reverse direction.
I have walked the Plata but in the Spring time.I wouldn't personally walk it in September because the temperature will still be high .I met an Australian on the way to Finisterre and he walked it in September.Coming from Australia he is used to high températures but he found the Plata hard going in the heat.He ran out of water but luckily for him ,a Spanish lady in a car,stopped and helped him out.You will have to carry a lot of water because unlike the Camino Frances there are few water fountains,if any, along the way.Good luck and Buen Camino.
Hi Mournes, I got that wrong ! I will be leaving Seville for Santiago and not visa versa ! I am concerned about water and the weight it will add to my pack but I will have to be careful.
Hopefully long distances and high temperatures won’t coincide !
John.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mournes, I got that wrong ! I will be leaving Seville for Santiago and not visa versa ! I am concerned about water and the weight it will add to my pack but I will have to be careful.
Hopefully long distances and high temperatures won’t coincide !
John.
John,www.gronze.com / via de la plata is an excellent spanish web site .It lists all the stages and accommodation on the plata..It also shows simple maps which show the distances between the little villages,towns and cities.I have used gronze a lot on various caminos and it is free.
Once again Buen Camino

I figured out how to edit the title !

Glad you have figured out which way you are going, having done a Reverso (to Lisbon) I can vouch that it's a lot more difficult going against the flow of arrows. But that's off point, yes it's still hot in September and that first section out of Seville can be pretty parched so stock up with at least 3 L of water each day. And be mindful that the jamon festival in Monestro is about that time of year and everything is either booked out, or as we found it arriving he day after, closed, think carefully before you head out on a double section. Still it's a fabulous route.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks hel&scot, I’m looking forward to stumbling upon festivals in random villages on the way ! A ham festival though, that will be a 1st ! !
I am a little nervous regarding water but I’m sure it will all work out.
John

I’m looking forward to stumbling upon festivals in random villages on the way ! A ham festival though, that will be a 1st ! !
I am a little nervous regarding water but I’m sure it will all work out.
John
Yes radom festivals are one of the joys of the road, there's one on the 19th Sept that I can never find out what it's for, Scott figured it was for his birthday, although drunken singing and fireworks all night is even harder to sleep through then snoring pilgrims. We may see you out there this year as we are due to start in Merida in September.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We’ll be following in your footsteps steps the end of August 2019 all being well. I’m also concerned about the amount of water to carry, 3 litres is a good amount.
Enjoy and keep us posted, love to hear any updates.
Donna.

Hi Donna, when do u intend leaving Seville ? I’m hopeful the intense summer heat will have abated by the time of my departure date. My excitement levels are slowly building presently and I am reading all things related to Spain, hiking and Roman history, burn Camino !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi John, we are aiming to land on 29th August next year and start walking the next day. All being well! The summer here in NZ gets very hot and humid so it will be lovely to walk in a dry heat.
Wishing you well,
Donna.

Hello John,

It seems you won't be alone on the VdlP, although some people don't seem to start on exactly the same date as you. My first walking day will be 25th August.

Maybe we'll meet. Who knows.

I'll be wearing walking trousers, boxershort, t-shirt, socks, walking boots, a buff (which can be used as a scarf or as head protection) and a Cobber cooling neck wrap (which really helps against the heat).

About your concern about the weight. Apart from the clothes I'll be wearing my backpack carries:
- 1 pair of trousers
- 1 t-shirt
- 1 boxershort
- 1 pair of socks
- 1 mosquito net for my head (it seems they have a special appetite for me)
- 1 pair of sandals (for the evening)
- 1 lightweight foldable bag (to keep the valuables with me at all times without having to bring the backpack).
- 1 cellphone
- 1 camera
- 1 GPS-system
- 1 powerbank (which can recharge the cellphone, camera and GPS-system).
- toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, shaving stuff.
- emergency kit: paracetamol, heat creme, 1 pair of tweezers, a couple of band aids, sun blocker.
- 2 water bags (total capacity 5 liters).

The total weight of the backpack (including 5 liters of water and the backpack itself) is 9 kg.

How much are you planning to carry?

Hi Andre, I haven’t put my pack together yet but I imagine it will be similar to yours. I might bring a few more tee shirts, boxers and socks. Water is my big concern ,I really hope the temperatures are not too high.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back