• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving SJPDP, midAug. vs. early Sept?

wmhwallace

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to SantiagoMay 2013; plan entire camino in next 2 years
What are the pros and cons of starting in SJPDP in mid August or waiting until the first week of Sept. Are there differences in weather or crowds in a 2 week period?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What are the pros and cons of starting in SJPDP in mid August or waiting until the first week of Sept. Are there differences in weather or crowds in a 2 week period?
My wife Pat and I struggled with the same 2 week window. We decided to start on the 30th of August primarily to avoid the final 2 weeks of the traditional European holiday period of August. Starting from SJJDP would ( we hope) allow us a little less traffic at the start and for sure less at the of our journey. Two weeks could make a difference in the fall weather esp. in Galicia , we expect more rain and getting cooler in the nights .However weather is weather and predicting it is frustrating experience to say the least! We live in Nova Scotia learning that there isn't any sense in planning for the weather-just look out the window and live with what you get on the day. Starting in late August allowed me the opprotunity to experience some heavier traffic on the Camino and my wife less-I don't mind crowds ,Pat does !! So we compromised from mid August to late. Happy planning and remember it is your Camino -whatever you decide will be best for you.

There is not much difference between the last week of August and the first three weeks of September. The weather is pretty much the same, and crowds do not really disappear until October. Too many pilgrims now try to avoid August by starting after September 1, so your like-minded pilgrims make for some crowding. However, there is ALWAYS a bed!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There tend to be quite many pilgrims who start their Camino the first week end or the 1st day of a month. And then they tend to walk in a "wave" walking in about the same pace and the Camino feels crowded. The same wave thing can happen around the 15th of a month. Last year in May there were two waves on CF. Consider starting your Camino from Sjpp mid-week and maybe you are walking in between the waves :). Most pilgs walk the same "stages".
Whatever - there will always be a bed!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.